Masters Running

29 December. 2015 is waning (Read 37 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

57 degrees, misty

5.57 miles with Carol and Lisa.

I guess the rocket scientist burned out after yesterday's track workout with our firstborn.

Didn't mean to usurp Jay by starting the daily. However, I needed to document my run. heh heh.

Big Canasta tournament at MamaRosa's this afternoon.

Wish me luck with several generations of cardsharks battling for the title.

Be well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Mornin' RCG and the rest of the crew.

RCG, I don't feel usurped, burped or anything else other than pleased that you got us off to a good start today. Good luck at the canasta extravaganza this afternoon!

We got some snow, mostly sleet, and some rain very early this morning, and the roads were not a pretty sight. So after I fed the cat at the usual time this morning, I went back to bed for some most satisfying extra sleep. With a little luck, the sleet will turn to rain and wash all this stuff off the roads. If it is still around when I get back home at the end of the day, it is going to be a wet, heavy mess to clear off our driveway and walks, and my back begins to hurt from just thinking about it.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

moebo

Good morning!

Rose, your mention of a Canasta tournament brings back memories of Christmas vacations when I was a kid. My mother always had us playing tournaments of some card game or other, partly because she wanted to keep us busy, but mostly because she loved to play cards herself. It was a lot of fun, but I don't remember ever doing very well. Maybe that's why I am not a very keen card player today?

Jay, glad you got some extra rest today. I hope the icy stuff melts before you get home!

The icy stuff didn't look very inviting to me today, so I stayed in and did a little over 6 miles (I think) on the TM. I wore my Garmin to test how well it keeps track of distance and pace indoors. Turns out my watch and my TM don't measure distance or pace at all the same, but I don't know which to believe! I'd like it to be the TM, which has me running longer and faster than my watch, but I suspect that Garmin may be the more accurate of the two...

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin'

.............................sorry to hear about yukky weather.  Even thought I got lots of rest over the "break," I was sleepy this am, so I too, stayed in a bit longer than usual...didn't go out until DH was headed back in (he has to be at work a half hour before me, works well).  No weather issues, just me being lazy.   So I kept it at 5 and third--a little less than our fearless leader this am.  ......That'll keep me hankering for the bridge work we have planned tonight.

Canasta!  You can do it, BigR!

Mike, did you check Baton Rouge and /or New Orleans?  When I was in TFA, about a half hour south of Jackson, it was maybe a 3 hour trip to NOLA.  And mostly very easy open road driving.

just reading about the meetings makes me remember how much I dislike them.....so burnt out on meetings, still.......fingers crossed for you, tet.

I dunno, moebo, how does the Garmin do it, measure distance on a TM?  Go with the numbers on the TM, that's my vote.

see ya all,

A

ps: meant to ask, so is 2016 waxing?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I took Jay's lead and went back to bed.  BUT - I've calendared that I'm leaving at 3:00 today to go run.  

I LOVE playing games - card games, board games, you name it.  The Hub isn't a card game player, and for the past few years we haven't played backgammon or cribbage.  Dang it!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I miss playing games and cards.  My DH and friends these days don't seem to be into games anymore.....

No snow here, just lots of wind and chilly temps and the river is in flood stage.

I dawdled too long over my coffee this morning and ran out of time before work.

3 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

No running for me today.  We had Jay's & Moebo's yucky sleet/snow, but had GD2 staying with us.  We went to see Pirate Princess, based loosely on Twelfth Night and perfect for kids.  Also, it was fun because it was the first snow, GD2 was throwing snowballs and enjoying it as only a kid can.  Now she's gone and it's quiet - both good and bad.

RCG - hope you also did well and Fatozzig - have a wonderful run this afternoon!

marj

King of PhotoShop

I haven't been here in quite some time, but I often do read the daily. I just haven't much to say as I'm on vacation and nothing much happening.

It was very kind of Rose to remember the Saint's and my anniversary yesterday, 30 years.  Thank you to all who commented and wished us well.  I have a friend who heads up catering for the Joule Hotel in Dallas and she gave us a reservation for last night at a ridiculously cheap rate for a hotel of this quality.  It was an astonishing experience.  We ate in the hotel as they have two outstanding restaurants, got up this morning and ran the streets of Dallas, and I remarked that it was weird stopping at street lights and running on sidewalks, as we are so used to racing on the Dallas streets when everything is closed down for the runners. Quite a day.

We had a huge breakfast in the hotel and checked out, then napped at home. I just got up and getting caught up on other stuff.

You all know that I play duplicate bridge and have done so for years. Rose and her family also play bridge, in addition to canasta and other games. At family gatherings we don't play bridge as I'm the only one who knows the game, but we always play hearts or "Oh Hell" and it's a great family pastime.  Spareribs

I would be happy to report something, but I do not have anything to report. Carry on!

Oh yea, freezing rain here. Glad I am working from home this week!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Ribs!!  We like to see your face, even when you have nothing to report.  Glad you and The Saint had such a wonderful anniversary.

2Kitty - Thanks for stopping by, though.  How are you feeling?

Maybe we need an RA meet up just to play games!

So my nephew messaged me this afternoon and said he recently started dating a young woman who is going to college up here, is an ultra runner, and is a member of the Humboldt Women Runners group on FB like me.  I looked her up.  She's cute!  Now the question is - do I wait until they've been dating longer to friend her/stalk her or do I start now?  Looks like she had a different boyfriend as late as mid-November.  Hmmm . . . . .  She's adorable, but she looks young (early 20's?).  My nephew will be 32 on the 5th.  Double Hmmmm . . . . Invite for a run and pump her for information? Triple Hmmm . . . . .         . . . . . . I'm guessing she's probably faster than me and could runaway when the questions got to be too much. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Ribs, good to see you back although I follow you and the Saint on FB. Welcome to the urban runner's world.

While Marj and GD2 were at the theater I stayed indoors (avoiding the slush and wind) and read. I'm just about finished the latest John Irving novel (when my kids were small I lived across the street from his parents).

Early this afternoon I decided to go out for a short run in the gentle rain. I needed 1.9 miles to hit 800 for the year. Did it No running till our 5K on New Year's Day.

I won’t try to ketchup on all of you but just a few things that I do remember. It is nice to have Rosie back, and yes, she has such a beautiful way with words.  LaTortuga, my condolences to you for your loss. I read the article about him on FB that Robin posted.  He sounds like such an interesting man.  I am happy that Mariposai had her whole family together for a holiday and skiing too!  And MikeE, how many meals do you have to make for that crew? What did Debbie get for the 4 gifts? Good luck on scoring cheaper plane tickets tomorrow.  Tselbs photos of the grandsons were so cute, thanks!  I will get to post some of the 5 Gkids after this coming weekend when we all get together.

My life has been topsy turvy to say the least. DD1, Angela, was fired on Nov. 20th and now has to move out of her townhouse. She asked us to store some of her stuff in our shop which is fine. We took a trailer up on Christmas Day, had brunch with DS then planned to head to her place. She called to say she wasn’t ready and that she had the flu. The “not being ready” part was true. We went anyway, but I could get her to answer the doorbell, her phone or a text. I was pretty worried but MrStarr finally got her to hear him pounding on the bedroom window.  When she finally let us in she had a total melt-down and apologized for being a failure and feeling so “paralyzed”.  Almost nothing was packed and it was quite a mess.  We cleaned and boxed while she sorted stuff.  When DS arrived to help we all had a good talk and she agreed to move home for a while. She’s applied for insurance and should qualify for medical assistance. Today I helped her file her appeal for unemployment being denied.  Back at my house, the guest room is cleaned out; three dressers are emptied; our king guest bed has been sold to make room for hers. It is definite going to be an adjustment having her with us for a little while but I really hope she can get the help she needs.  We will be back on Thursday morning to finish loading the rest of her things.

I am looking forward to Friday when the grandkids get to open all the presents. I made matching fleece pajamas for them. Also got the embroidery machine out and learned to use that! Fun little tote bags with their names on should be a hit. I hope we get to play cards and games, I love that too – Shanghai Rummy is our go-to game but we quit playing for dimes a long time ago.  MrStarr and I will stay at a hotel with 2 pools on Friday/Saturday nights and the kids can come and play.

Oh, running, ha! I was out last Tuesday and that’s it.  Tonight isn’t going to work unless I go to the YMCA after they come for the bed.  I did sign up for 1000 miles for the 2016 challenge.  That is 20 miles a week if I give myself 2 weeks of vacation at 0 miles.  I had better learn to run on the treadmill or the track.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

yeah,

no work-outs here either

worked

til almost 3-pm on those damn Pharmacy Audits,

you'd think after  6MONTHS of being closed it wouldn't get audits

THE GOOD NEWS

at least it's making being retired look better

..................good running (or whatever we're doing) guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Starr, sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles but glad she's letting you help her. That's what family is for.

Leslie, you can check her out as much as you want as long as you're discreet about it! You might give them a few more weeks before you start getting involved (i.e. running with her) but who knows, maybe it'll all work out fine. I'll admit to doing similar with my boys' GF's over the years...

tomwhite, an audit? Really? Wouldn't that fall to the new owners? Who is doing the audit? Drug companies? State licensing board? Seems odd.

Not much of a game player, really. My DS's GF (ok, DIL2B?) is into playing games like Yahtzee and we played Sorry! at Christmas. We have several old board games from when the kids were little, and they're still fun. I had him take Risk with him when he moved out. I like card games but not good at them, and always forget how to play.  Hopeless, yes.

Ran 7.1 miles today at a decent GA pace. Legs a bit tired after yesterday's 12. I figured out if I run just over a half-marathon distance tomorrow and Thursday, I'll hit 2,500 for the year! Ha! If this were a few months ago I'd say no problem. The way I'm feeling these days, I'll be lucky to do 5 each day. Oh well, it's still a PR mileage year as of a couple weeks ago, so I'm good with it. Just loving running outside in late December with these mild temps!

Nertz!  That's the card game my family loves.  I am terrible at it but love it anyway.

no run -- down with a cold.  It's fluids and couch time with 2 happy cats for me Smile