Masters Running

Sunny Sunday 10/29 (Read 35 times)

Good morning good people! It is COLD here this morning! Well, not by Erika's standards   28° and no wind at 5:30 when I headed out this morning. Just 4 miles around the "hood" but first time wearing tights and a hat. At least the sun is out. We haven't seen that for several days, which seems to make the weather even more depressing.

No in-depth recaps from me this morning, but glad to see Starr checking in!

Glad your procedure went ok Tet.

Sorry about the icy roads Erika.

Just one good shout-out to all of the racers yesterday, and good luck to Jay and those who have one today.

Drinking coffee and reading the NY Times, waiting for it to warm up so I can go clean out my garden.

We watched "The Shining" last night. I forgot how creepy that movie is. Here's Johnny!!

Popping in to wish all the racers a great day today and congrats to those who raced yesterday!!

Erika -- POOP!!! that stinks!!

Metalman - didn't realize you live in this area - I'm about 30 minutes north of Boston. Hope you have a great marathon today - I have a friend running the full there today as well. I love my Garin 920XT but love the look of the Fenix more - just can't justify another purchase yet.

Cat - nice 1/2 yesterday!!

Marj - so glad you and your family were able to make it to Jay's race - some day I would love to as well!! Cngrats to you ds!!

Loved reading back on all the introvert/extrovert posts --- I fall somewhere in between I think. I love my running groups and meeting up with people to run, but also enjoy my quiet runs. I am not a loud person by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy being with people and hanging out. My house needs major cleanup every time I want to entertain so that has certainly trailed off over the years, but I do enjoy it. I also love this online running forum as much as the 2 local running groups I belong to even tho I don't get in here as often as I once did.

Still no running - no workouts at all for that matter. Really laid low all week trying to shake the rest of this cough but it still has me hacking like a smoker at times!! One of the docs I work with said she had it linger for 5 weeks!!  It needs to go away!!

denise

mrrun

No run today after 2 days of running (lots of walking pre heavy rains).  I did NOT run Jay's race yesterday - only my DD & grandkids did.  We may be racing together next w/e if the weather is good.  Local race for you Stumpy - Run for all Ages on Saturday (though I know it's hard to pay for a race where you always run!).

marj

7 miles this morning.  Gloomy and chilly.  I broke out the heavy tights.  Finished the week 4.2 miles ahead of the 2000 mile pace bunny.  It's going to be tight.   This is a tough time of year for me to get out the door in the morning before work.  It's dark and cold.  I'll do better after the time changes next week, but it's still not easy....

My son had to drop out of SwimRun- NC this morning.  He may have a stress fracture in his shin.  He thought he could try to get through the race, but he had to quit after the first run leg.  That means his partner (to whom you are tethered as you run technical trails in your wetsuit and swim in your running shoes for multiple legs of both) was out, too.  They traveled a long way and invested a lot, so a very disappointing result.  It also means my son's quest to win Monkey  (local, difficult, cult marathon here in Nashville) will have to wait for another year.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

It also means my son's quest to win Monkey  (local, difficult, cult marathon here in Nashville) will have to wait for another year.

Too bad your son had to drop out of his race, and bummer to miss the Monkey!

A group of RA Masters got together at the Flying Monkey in 2012!  From left to right in the picture: Orange Mat (Esther), Holly, SloHand (Steve), me, and Pfriese (Paul).  Fun race!  I personally didn't think it was difficult - it stood as my marathon PR for several years!  Of course, being at sea level probably had something to do with it...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great picture!  I've run 3 Monkeys (and have the tattoo), but I think it's really hard.  Just all up and down, but for you, I can believe it isn't as tough as where you train.  I'm entered this year but will probably just run half of it.  I had wanted to watch my son finish, but even with that off the table, I'm just not feeling it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

metalmancpa

Got my 26.2 in. As I sort of expected, didn't have the legs, but at least the heart cooperated. Finished in 4:19:48. I will get to a race report soon.

Quickadder

Congratulations Metal. You will break 4 hours with the next one. 😉

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Way to go racers!

Metal - great job, especially considering all factors.  Looking forward to the RR.

TammyinGP

great job Metal! 

Ran an easy 2 miles this morning with the dogs. nothing sore. wee bit of tightness in the hamstrings, but nothing some stretching and foamrolling tonight probably won't help work out. 
                      Taking all 3 dogs to the groomer this afternoon. this outta be fun. Three big black labs, in my car, and wrangling them all into the groomer. they'l be so excited to go for a ride, until they see where we end up.

Tammy

metalmancpa

Way to go racers!

Metal - great job, especially considering all factors.  Looking forward to the RR.

Thanks, and the RR is already posted. Us old folks have to work fast before the memory fades 

Thank you QuickTammy

Falconfixer

Congratulations Metal!  Very happy about the lack of heart issues for you!

RunnerKSA (and Wildchild), the flying monkey is on my list!  Very jealous.  Luckily, I live (ok, I have a house, currently working elsewhere) in northwest Alabama so I'm only about 2 hours from Nashville.

Finally got out around lunchtime and ran at the base.  Just under 9 miles in a light rain.  Felt good since temps were still in the 60s, even with the wind (which had a hint of chill to it).  Supposed to get into the upper 30s tonight.  If that happens, it will be the first time this fall for here.

Have a great night everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

I have run the Monkey twice, and found it to be tough on my toenails and quads - if you are not running up you are running down, but a lovely race at a beautiful time of year, great volunteers, lots of fun, great food and beer at the finish.

Metal - great job!

RR thread will likely have to wait until Wednesday, as the last few days of the month are super-crushed for my job.

6.1 miles today in 37 breezy degrees, which felt pretty cold to me, given the long warm spell we have had.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

3.8 miles on West Mountain in IRC.  Almost took a tumble (both knees began to bend as I twisted my ankle on a rock) but the trail gods shined on me and kept me upright...no idea how I did that but I was counting the possible boo boo's as I was going down and the next thing you know I'm standing up straight and running along.  Happy trail runner here.

Trails Rock!

Mariposai

Nice job, metal. That is a very respectable finish time.

I went out for a 13, that turned out to be only 3 because of the strong wind, think about 45 mph gusts.

Tamster, you are running so well.

Tetsujin, glad to hear that your surgery went well.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard