Masters Running

Static vs dynamic stretching (Read 160 times)

Does anyone have anything on dynamic vs static stretching? I am trying to find stretches that agree with my torn hamstring and doesnt aggravate it.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

#artbydmcbride

I'm pretty sure any stretching of a torn muscle is a no no.   Maybe passive manipulation with the Stick on it while it heals?    I've had a physical therapist gently massage a healing muscle so that scar tissue isn't too stiff,  but not stretched it per se.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

When I tore my groin a few years ago I was told to work it, not stretch it.  That meant a lot of walking.  You want to work it enough to prevent scar tissue build up but not too much to keep re-aggravating it.  The doctor told me to use pain as my guide.  I could do what I want as long as it did not hurt.  I would be very careful with stretching.  Maybe some very light stretching after a walk.  Maybe.

Not at it at all. 

King of PhotoShop

Just my opinion, but the word "torn" scared me.  I am with Ilene and MrP.  Spareribs
            ditto the above......last year i went to PT for nerve pain related to a slight bulging disc and the PT didnt want me doing any stretching that would aggravate the area - so no hamstring stretching  ...have you had any treatment for it yet?  a good sports PT should help guide you i would think.......feel better!!

denise

Yes 6 months of PT on it. They started stretching it and manipulating it immediately. It got worse. I stopped PT and gave it a few months of nothing except swimming to heal. It did better. Now I am back to running (a bit) and my program says to warm up, stretch, run, cool down, stretch and ice.

So far stretching doesnt really seem to make much of a difference. So I am researching dynamic stretching. Last night I found out that static stretching works well for static sports. So now I am trying to find info on what dynamic stretching is good for running.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

King of PhotoShop

write to me at:  spareribs823 at gmail dot com and I will send you a set of dynamic stretches given to me by my PT, some of which will strengthen the leg muscles.  In many cases the PT will help you heal a muscle by strengthening those muscles that perform WITH it, in order to take the stress off the affected muscle.  Spareribs