Masters Running

Wednesday, 1.4.17 (Read 37 times)

flats

turtle runner eximious

National Spaghetti WednesDailies!

Nom nom. Spaghetti, a runners best friend.

Cold weather coming my way. Not looking forward to it. Gym for me after work.

Michael

Dave59

Spaghetti sounds good. I haven't had breakfast yet.

I stopped at the gym after work yesterday for some ARC trainer time and weights. It was pretty crowded but I am not sure how many were new year's resolution folks since I was there at a different time than usual.  Just about all of the treadmills were in use and there has to be at least 35 of them. Most the ellipticals were in use too.  Plenty of ARC trainers available. I don't know why though. I've read at least 2 internet articles that say the ARC is better than the elliptical. Seems pretty open and shut that people should want the ARC trainers more.

I had to get up at 5:15 AM to check on and complete a software install.  I am dressed to run and will head out after I am sure everything is working ok. I may as well wait for some light outside too.  Going to run about 4 with some hill work. I hit the hills last week for the first time since I fell doing that last April.  Going up the hills hurt like heck, but I felt great afterwards. So I am going back to try and recreate that feeling. It's cheaper than good beer.  (I just don't run hard down hill anymore. That's when I fell.)

correction: I finished the hills but I was wearing my newest and most expensive pair of running shoes, so it was definitely not cheaper than beer.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Hi Flats. Wednesday is usually pasta day at our house (we picked that up from Prince Macaroni Day). But not this week - we still have a lot of leftovers from the weekend we are working through. However, one of them is a pasta dish, so maybe I'll gt that on the table for lunch or dinner.

Dave, the activity level at the gym will start to get back to normal in the coming weeks as some folks come to realize that sticking with their resolutions is not as easy as they thought/hoped it would be. I hope your install and your hill workout both went great.

I woke up at about 1AM and never got back to sleep this morning. I finally got up at 2:30 and went in another room to read, and then got dressed at 4 for this morning's 5.1 mi. walk. After my flurry of activity last weekend (with the 5K and all), I'm taking it easy again, but feel that I'm s-l-o-w-l-y making progress with this nagging hamstring. The wind was howling and the rain pelting overnight, but by the time I headed out, the wind had died down considerably, and the rain backed off to a steady drizzle. As with Flats, we've got much cooler weather coming in, starting tonight, so getting out on the roads for the next few days will be an extra challenge, especially with these easy workouts where I don't create much body heat.

I wonder if I can get a quick nap at lunchtime today, 'cause I'm gonna be tired...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning everyone. Yeah, it's cold here today and the winds are 20-25 mph with wind gusts up to 40. Another day of fighting for a treadmill at the Y. I was there when the doors opened and snagged one but had to get off after an hour, so only 5.75 miles with the last few minutes used to cool down. Then some weights and core. I would LOVE to buy a treadmill, but DH and I have an ongoing battle that this is what we pay membership fees for. It would be so nice to have one down the basement to just jump on some times...

Hmmm - national spaghetti day? I might have to plan that for dinner!

Hope you get your nap Jay!

So Megan Kelly left Fox?? I'm not sure NBC will be offering her more money than Fox. Interesting.

Off to work. It will be too cold to send the kids out for recess, which means they'll have extended time in the cafeteria. Oh boy

Dave59

had to get off after an hour

"had to" ??  Most people would be happy to stop after an hour on the TM.

Tramps

I confess, I still don’t quite get what a “ditch” tree is.  Now Starr has be wondering what a “volunteer” tree is, too!  Slow on the uptake, I guess.

Dave—nice hill work!  Those are never easy.

Jay—hope the hamstring keeps improving.  Get some sleep.

CMeg--Don’t be modest about Saskatchewan, birthplace of Gordie Howe and countless other hockey talent, as well as the great Farley Mowat and J.G. Ballard! Not too shabby!  And you’ve got great friends, too; Mari’s a sweetie.  But those temps…brrrrrr.  That makes Erika’s temps seem reasonable!

Mari—message delivered to TriBee.  Thanks.

So Mike, you have 8 kids?  Wow.  I didn’t realize that.  That’s a handful and a half.

TW—you calling me old? ;o)

Jay—that sounds like a moving memorial.

Stumpy—cool!  Glad the gloves are useful.

Aw Holly, sorry about the dog.  Hope he improves.

Twocat—Speaking of music…the studio version of this Howln' Wolf tune came on the iPod during today’s run.  The “running shoes” reference always makes me smile.  He’s not talking about Nikes. ;o)

I’m still sorting who’s new here and who I just missed in my absence.  CMeg, catwhoorg, Flats; new, I believe. Spacecity, Runr_nut ….vets I missed, I think?  (I’m the worst for names and I think have a touch of face blindness too. Sigh.)

Rest day yesterday, which was good since it was pouring rain. Dry and balmy, nearly 50F this morning for a 9-miler.  A little cold snap is coming soon, though.  I may have to break out the running pants for the first time this season. (Don't hate me for living in the South.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I love to have some spaghetti with my Parmesan cheese!

Jlynne - given your MI winters, I would seriously look for (like Twocat says) a gently-used TM.  I have a YMCA membership, but sometimes it's just too daunting to head out in the cold and snow and ice (and you have way more of that than I do).

The pain meds seem to be helping Dexter feel slightly better, but the underlying mystery problem is still there, and he can still barely walk.  Poor guy.  I hate the not-knowing part.  I feel like House.

4.7 miles for me on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh, I understand -- now that everyone's back at work, the posting frequency here goes up. Not that anyone would be on here when they're supposed to be working...

Today it was a run vs. swim decision and when I got up it was 35 outside. But a couple hours later when it was time to go out, it had dropped to 25 with a 25mph wind, so my decision was made for me. A couple hours later, coming from the pool at the rec center, it was down to 18 and a very frigid walk out to my car! Anyway, I got in 1000 yards at my usual very slow pace.

Better luck with the weather to the rest of you!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I’m still sorting who’s new here and who I just missed in my absence.  CMeg, catwhoorg, Flats; new, I believe. Spacecity, Runr_nut ….vets I missed, I think?  (I’m the worst for names and I think have a touch of face blindness too. Sigh.).)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees Space City and not Spa City every time I read Liz's handle.

We were a day early--spagetti and meatballs for dinner last night.

Oh yeah, no run for me today.  But I have been encouraged to enter the Half at the Hamptons first week of March by a couple of guys at the New Years day party we went to.  So I only have to get from 6 miles to 13.2 in two months.  No problem, right?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees Space City and not Spa City every time I read Liz's handle.

Oops. 

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Busy group here today - hi all!

mid-40's here for a 5+ mile run.  being retired, i waited until the weather improved - we're getting the cold later this week.  I was going to run yesterday, but went out and the rains were coming earlier then expected and I know the twocat rule - why doesn't the weather look at the computer occasionally?

we could have spaghetti, but there are left over roast potatoes and onions that need to be eaten first - maybe next year?

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

You mean it's NOT Space City?   

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I confess, I still don’t quite get what a “ditch” tree is.  Now Starr has be wondering what a “volunteer” tree is, too!  Slow on the uptake, I guess.

OK, here is a definition:

volunteer tree

A tree, not planted by human hands, that begins to grow on residential or commercial property. Unlike trees that are brought in and installed on property, volunteer trees usually spring up on their own from seeds placed onto the ground by natural causes or accidental transport by people. Normally, volunteer trees are considered weeds and removed, but many desirable and attractive specimens have gone on to become permanent residents on many public and private grounds.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

spacityrunner

Bad Case of the Runs

posted: 1/2/2017 at 6:24 PM

2.5 miles in a skirt and singlet today.  No worries...I will be freezing my butt off in a couple of days...gotta love the south 

OK, you were making me doubt my eyes.  From Monday.  and I feel better.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

I have to admit it...I always said "Space City" in my head.