Masters Running

State of the Union Tuesday, 2.12.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I can't understand why CNN starts it's "pre-speech" coverage 2 hours before the speech tonight - Guess they've gotta fill airtime with something. I'll be in a meeting this evening and will likely miss the whole thing.

Beautiful house, Maine! It looks like a lot of grounds to keep up with, but I'll bet it's worth it.

Sorry about all the injuries out there. But winter is a good time to back off and get healthy - unless, of course, if you are running Boston.

I got up early, and tried to check the weather before heading out. Have you noticed that the Weather Channel doesn't do local weather anymore? That was the only reason I ever tuned in. So I went online this morning, and it was about 35 with a 12mph breeze from the NNW - nice. However, when I got out on the road, there was a lot of skim ice from yesterday's rain. In the 4am darkness, I could barely see where the ice was and wasn't, so I slid and slipped most of the way to the near corner before deciding it was a bad idea, and made my way back home for some stretching and some core exercises. Tomorrow's another day...

More acupuncture this afternoon - sciatica is still an issue, but I'm trying to be patient.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..mornin' jay......

......arf//........''Lick It''??...........it may not be THAT kind of Valentine........

============

32min poolrun.

double weight sessions

friggin' FlareUp still in progress

....................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay, and all that follow.  First time out since the Blizzard of '13.  The town still hasn't plowed the sidewalk around the lake, so I did 3.2 on the streets around.  The overnight freeze, as mentioned, made the wlking a little tricky.  But when I started running it was more stable.  I guess the legs enjoyed the 3 days off--9:20 pace felt pretty quick for having to work around some of the less than stellar plowing.

I did have a little moment of panic, though--waiting to cross the street (at the crosswalk, no less) one car stopped for me and as I was almost across the street, someone who hadn't been paying attention started to go sideways around the car that stopped.  I had one foot on the big snowbank ready to vault, but they got stopped before any damage to anyone.  No harm, no foul, I guess.

ETA:  Morning Tom--sorry to hear you're still flaring.  Glad you're still able to getin the pool, though.  Hang tough.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I look my best blurry!

Good morning all!  Ran before work today at 5:45!  So proud of myself for getting it done early.  It's not unusual in the summer or alone, in the dark in the winter alone is another thing completely.

I agree about the pre-speech babble.  Frequently the speeches seem like old news when we hear them too.

i should add a pool run when I'm healthy.  Such a great workout!  The massage of the water feels great and the resistance makes me faster everytime!

Mariposai

My one year subscription must be up since I am seeing all the commercials pop up here again. 
            hemerocallus, I am so sorry to hear that your foot is still giving you trouble. How was the XT skiing? 
            Welcome back to wannaberunner
            Wildchild, be careful! Doing the Enke is not a fun thing to do! 
            Mainerunnah, 6 hours of snow shoveling . Great pictures btw. 
            SteveP, good luck with your poem!

Twocat, ask your DW what she wants to eat, cook that for her and you will be the star!!

I will abstain to watch the pre-speech coverage. I enjoy hearing it in real time.

As long as my lungs are not 100% I decided that I will be running on the TM to avoid problems. Last night was 4 miles with some speed play. Tonight I hope to run a little bit longer. 

Enjoy your day!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I love fish, and will eat almost any kind, but the wild salmon is the one that is supposed to be the most heart healthy, so that's my usual choice.  I love tuna and swordfish though.

Well, today was the big day to test this little groin strain I got on Saturday and to my delight I ran 3.5 at easy pace with not even a hint of discomfort.  Two days of walking seems to have done the trick.   Spareribs

Dave59

6 for me today (again).  A lot less ice on the roads today so it was a more enjoyable run.

FYI to anyone who cares, the Green Bay Half is filled.  It's 95 days away but I am looking forward to some redemption (from last year's dnf.)

Hey everyone, just checking in on a very busy day.  I had to get my run scheduled for today in yesterday due to a conflict (I have an older brother who was recently diagnosed with a tumor on his kidney and I am picking him up after he has a biopsy later today).

Thanks everyone for the compliments on our home, we really do love it there, just this time of year is wearing on me as I get older!  It really is a beautiful location with 202 feet of frontage on the Saco River and yes it is relatively open which results in some pretty good winds at times and many of the storms tend to follow the course of the river right out to sea!

Yesterday's run - 9 Miles - 1:09:50 (7:46) - my legs felt tired to start afer Sunday's long run in the snow but  once I got warmed up I felt pretty good and was able to really push the last couple of miles. - 8:59 - 8:53 - 8:34 - 8:13 - 7:52 - 7:33 - 7:13 - 6:22 - 6:11

By the way Posi I have to confess it wasn't 6 hours of shoveling, just a total of 6 hours clean up including shoveling, plowing and bucket work.

And Two Kitty, I know you guys took a pretty good hit this time as well, and I certainly don't envy those poor folks on Long Island.

Have a great day everyone.

Tammy, congrats to your son and great picture of him with his hardware.  wannabe, it's good to hear from you.

Nice long runs for C-R, stumpy, Tramps, maine, and Twocat.

This morning, it was about 30° and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And a nice long run for Mr. Selbs, too.  Seems a little faster than recently?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

As long as my lungs are not 100% I decided that I will be running on the TM to avoid problems.

editor's rewrite:  "as long as my lungs are not 100%, I decided that I will not be running for a while to avoid problems."

Mari - you know there's certain people who need you to be 100% healthy for the Sunflower Marathon in May and this summer's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon reunion. What would papa say?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

FYI to anyone who cares, the Green Bay Half is filled.  It's 95 days away but I am looking forward to some redemption (from last year's dnf.)

I think I'll have a bib # to sell. If anyone is interested, send me a message. This is really a fun race.

Welcome back Wannabe - divorces are tough to go through. Stay strong and keep running - it helps with the stress.

Here is where I condense all my thoughts on what's been going on around here lately:

Glad you're ok Carolyn. You too, Ribs. My new grandson will be born next Tuesday (she's being induced). I hope you had a relaxing weekend, Enke. Good job watching for ice Jay, Dave and Kevin. Sorry about your flare-up, TomW. Nice run for you, Tselbs. Holly - be careful on those long runs. Stick with your running partner until they figure out who those dirtbags were. Take care of those lungs, Mariposai. Maine, that deck looks like it's made for partying! Hi Tet! Hey Avenger Dog - did you watch the Westminster Dog Show last night? I'll bet you could have some fun there. Glad you're finally having some decent weather Erika. Twocat, I LOVE salmon on the grill and have some awesome recipes. I agree with your DW. Steak is overrated. Where are you, Slo? Mary, we miss you too.  How about that Pope? Do you think they will replace him with someone under like the age, say, 70?

It's been 2 weeks, 3 days and 6 hours since I last ran. (Sounds kinda like a confession, doesn't it?) I've been seeng a PT twice a week and since the pain hasn't subsided, she wants to send me back to the doctor who did my back surgery 2 years ago. When I look at my friend who has terminal cancer and probably won't live much longer, this is a drop in the bucket. But I am so depressed...

C-R

Fly by post today.

DS1s new running shoes arrived today. He wants to race again this weekend. Oh boy. What have I done.

Hope the acupuncture works Jay. Hope that flare subsides tom. Stumpy those street crossings can be nervy for us runner types. Careful.

5:45 wannabe? Too dark for me just yet.

Good move Mari. Glad things are on the mend ribs. I'll look forward to running Grapevine on my next visit. Holly be careful out there. That sounded like it could have been really bad.

6.5 today at lunch. What a pretty day. More to come tonight after dinner with the kiddos.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It's been 2 weeks, 3 days and 6 hours since I last ran. (Sounds kinda like a confession, doesn't it?) I've been seeng a PT twice a week and since the pain hasn't subsided, she wants to send me back to the doctor who did my back surgery 2 years ago. When I look at my friend who has terminal cancer and probably won't live much longer, this is a drop in the bucket. But I am so depressed...

Say three hail Higdons and a couple of Yasso's and hang in there  You'll be forgiven. Joking

Sorry it's taking so long.  I know it's all relative, but your'e still not able to do something that's important to you.  Good thoughts out to your friend and to you for sticking with her.

TammyinGP

sorry to hear of your friend Jlynne and sorry about not being able to run.

just returned from a nice 5 mile RAL. Sun was out and I was overdressed.

I watched the herding group in Westminster last night. Beautiful dogs. I was happy with the chosen one.

Bella could be in Westminster if they had a Best of Knuckleheads Roll eyes

Tammy