Masters Running

Suggestions for setting my Garmin for a 5K race (Read 351 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'll be running a 5K for the first time since I became a proud Garmin owner.  I'm looking for suggestions as how to set it up to best aid me in keeping a reasonable pace and so it won't overwhelm me with info.

right now, I have it set to show HR and pace, that I look at during training.  i haven't been using it enough to have a really good feeling about what pace I'm going without it.  should I set it to record auto mile splits?

Too many choices, it seems.  So anything that you might have found helpful in the past would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

I'm a pretty basic garmin user, so I just have my set to announce my mile splits, then after each mile, I'll see what my pace is and can adjust accordingly depending on my goal for the race.

Or if you are wanting to finish your 5K under a certain time, you could set up your virtual training partner to run a 5K in say 25:00 and then it'll keep pace for you.  I set up the virtual training partner when I'm doing long runs because it motivates me to run a bit faster than I would otherwise because I don't want to fall behind my 'pacer' .

Tammy

Prince of Fatness

I'm looking for suggestions as how to set it up to best aid me in keeping a reasonable pace and so it won't overwhelm me with info.

I leave the Garmin at home when I race for this reason  ... too much information.  I have a Timex Ironman and use that instead, taking splits at the course markers.

If you are worried about an overload of information what you could do is display lap time and total time only, turn off autolap, and manually hit the lap button at the mile splits.  That way you have your splits at the course markers but also have all of the data that the Garmin provides to review after the race.  Taking splits at the markers gives you a more accurate comparison if you were to ever run the same race again.

Not at it at all. 

Maniac 505

I always wear my garmin for marathons so I can download the route, but I don't really pay much attention to it during the race.  If the race is important to you,  I would suggest you do the same.  look at your competition,  not the device on your wrist.
            I keep mine set to beep/readout on mile splits all the time, so also in races.  "Current" pace is also on my display, and the main thing it helps me with is watching the pace at the beginning to make sure I'm not going too fast for my own good.  Heart rate is also on my display but I try not to look at it too much on race days since it is waaay on up there.  Oh, and the main thing is...to remember to press "stop" when you cross the finish line.  So easy to forget Smile.  Have fun racing w/ your new toy!
            Progress Trumps Pefection
            coastwalker

Oh, and the main thing is...to remember to press "stop" when you cross the finish line.  So easy to forget ;-)

You made me laugh - I refuse to admit how many times I didn't fully depress the button or forgot to hit any button at all when I crossed the finish line! During a race, however, I have my Garmin set to beep at each mile, and I use that, rather than the mile markers (if there are any) to let me know where I am. Otherwise, I ignore it till after the race, when I can check my splits and other data.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

WAIT!  If the RD has a race photographer, or you have a friend/loved one taking pictures at the finish, then DO NOT look down and turn off your Garmin as you cross the finish.

Smile hugely, raise your arms and look up for a great shot .

Have fun, K.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Isn't that the standard finish line pose?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Isn't that the standard finish line pose?

you need to look like your avatar when you cross the finish line - cheesy grin and all

Tammy

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I left my setting on "average pace."  I knew I needed a 10:59 to hit 1:08.  When it read 11:04, I knew I needed to speed up a little.  You may recall that I finished the Beach to Beacon in 1:08:00.0, so I would say the Garmin worked pretty well for me!  You DO need to take into account that it will probably read a little long at the end, like 3.12 or 3.13, and plan accordingly.  I actually forgot to factor that in on Saturday, so I was just really lucky to hit my goal exactly.