Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 8.18.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday's workouts:

Marj (bicycling)

RunnerKSA (6 miles in 37° at 8800 ft in Crested Butte)

TeaOlive (3 morning miles, with legs feeling great)

Rochrunner (4 morning trail miles with drizzle and rain, then let-up)

Henrun (3 dry, sunny morning miles)

BTY (4 noontime walking miles with remarkably consistent pacing)

Holly (5.2 mile in mid-70s temps)

Twocat (18 miles with low dew point)

Mike (5 miles)

Spacityrunner (2.2 speedy miles in 82° with high H)

Evanflein (5.4 mostly EZ miles on tired legs in Equinox Training Run)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles

Lots o' good stuff going on yesterday, with tales of Shorty's and Peter's travels, opinions & observations about the coming eclipse, the ups and downs about Holly's DD's punishment, and questions about tracking transcription documents.

Saunder's 10K RR: This race starts at 6PM along the NH coast, goes through a small village, and finishes back near the coast. The course is mostly flat with a few slight rollers, one short semi-serious uphill, and a long, gentle downhill. At the start, it was 81° and sunny, meaning quite warm for me. Fashion report: black shorts, my white Granite State Racewalkers singlet, orange cap, and Topo ST2 shoes. I decided to make this a strategic race, not wanting to go out too fast and blow up in the heat. So I started back in the pack, behind another racewalker who I knew is slower than me, thinking I'd stay on his shoulder for at least the first couple of miles. But he was just too dang slow out of the gate, so I picked up the pace just a scootch and easily passed him after about 1/2 mile. I saw two other walkers in the distance ahead of me and decided to pick up the pace just a little bit more and go after them. I caught up to them just past mile 3, and was well past them by #4. Then I saw Mary up ahead - a runner a couple of years older than me who passes me in just about every race. I don't know if she was having an off day, is slowing down, or if I was just on a better pace than her, but I felt she was within reach. So I picked up the pace again and went after her, and caught her just after #5. From there I was on my own, so I cruised to about mile 5 1/2 and then picked up the pace one last time so I could have a good finish (and hopefully not get passed by any of the people I had passed in the later miles). My pacing went from 11:48 in that slow first mile, to 10:28 for the last 10th +. I finished 1st in the walking division, and earned a l/s tech race shirt (grey with a yellow band across the shoulders), a pair of shorts, a mystery novel signed by the author (who is also the RD), and $100. I gave DW the money, and kept the rest for me.

This morning, I went 2.2 EZ recovery RW miles, and then did a lot of stretching to get these somewhat-weary legs back in shape.

Good luck to Twocat in his odd-distance race, and anyone else racing this weekend.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Nice racing, Jay!  Congrats on the win.

Slow 21 on the bike in very swampy weather.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

fatozzig can you copy the files to your computer's hard disk? Then just delete them as you finish them.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Congratulations, Jay!  Nice win!

5.5 miles on a dirt road out to a lake. 38 degrees, clear blue skies.  The upgrades take away my air, but I did it!  We are driving a couple of hours to do a boat tour in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, so I have to get moving.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

fatozzig can you copy the files to your computer's hard disk? Then just delete them as you finish them.

beat me to it.  even if it's a DVD, you should have enough space to copy (4.something GB if I recall) onto most modern HDs.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your issues with your DD. She sure is a handful! Makes me thank my lucky stars that my DD was/is basically a perfect kid. This is the first week of school for her as an assistant 9th grade physics teacher - quite a challenge! I did an 11 mile trail run yesterday. Today I figure I should rest for my pacing gig tomorrow at the Leadville 100! I'm really looking forward to it. I hope I'm not slower than my runner - she should be tired enough by mile 70 that I should be able to keep up...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Rest day.

Was supposed to be a lunch and learn, but the learn part got cancelled at the last minute.

Still got a decent healthy sort of lunch though.

DS is off preschool with the remnants of his fever from yesterday.

DW took off this morning and will be swapping him to me later this afternoon as she goes to the Docs.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I'll see if that works.  It's sort of like looking at a pile of 3000 needles and needing to pick out 10 of them - one at a time.  You sort through about 1000 needles, find the one you want and put it aside, then when you go back to find the rest, all the needles have come together again and now you have to sort through 2,999 needles.

BTY - I comment in yesterday's thread re power walking.

TONS to do today.  Have a great weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...well, back from the first visit to the surgeon,

turns out

the OTHER hip is now bone-on-bone,

ironically

this came as a relief since I was afraid I had chipped it

so

surgery this Spring (after SIL gets spinal surgery first)

and

cross-training in the meantime

it could be worse,

they might have made me Eat Beets.

===============

35-min combo

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

It was oppressively humid and raining this morning, so I went to the gym and ran 3.2 on the treadmill.  I don't usually like to do that but I found a nice spot under a big ceiling fan and put my brain on hold for half an hour.

I received a letter from the radiology department about my x-rays but I don't know what it means so I will send an email to my doctor and see about getting an explanation.  I think it just means I am getting old.
                      - marginal osteophyte formation
                      - bilateral neutral foraminal steenosis
                      - degenerative changes at C5-C6 and C6-C7
                      - arthritic changes lower cervical spine at (then it was blank after that)

Actually my back and neck seem better so I will just go with the flow.

I snagged a pair of eclipse glasses from a library yesterday.  They were giving away 150 and I got there in time to be #36 in line.  People are frantically trying to find the glasses.  The library was halfway between work and home and I stopped by on a lark.  Before that, I figured I would just watch the TV coverage.  We are just over 90% here.  In 7 years there will be another eclipse going across the US and this time it will hit my old home town of Buffalo.  Maybe I'll go visit my brother that week and see what a 100% eclipse looks like (if I am still around then and doing ok.)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - well done on your win!  And cool swag!

TomWhite - oh no!  Not beets!

Carolyn - my first child was perfect, too, pretty much.  But the Good Lord likes to keep it interesting...Congrats to your DD on her new job.

Leslie - did you see my idea about leaving the file in place, but renaming it and adding a word to the end of the name?

6.5 miles for me this morning in 74ish.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

TW--I love beets . But not surgery.  Sorry to hear this.

Dave--I hate having to google medical terms.  Never a good sign.  Good luck, though.

Easy eclipse simulator.

Be safe. Be kind.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Beets with butter.  Yum!

Five miles today.

steph  

Mariposai

Beets with butter.  Yum!

That sounds yum! I had the best artichoke with melted butter two nights ago...yummieeee.

Is it already Friday? Where did the week go?

Catwhoorg, I hope your child is doing better and that the fever finally is gone.

BTY, nice noontime walking the other day!

Twocat, I am so jealous of that 18 miles you ran yesterday.

Evanflein, how is the Equinox Training coming along?

Holly, sorry to read about the mishap with your DD. Hang in there sistahh.

Up at 6 this morning to enjoy a lovely, carefree 5.84 miles Smile. Nice running morning with my running buddy.

Happy weekend to all!

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I love beets too! Grow a big double row of them, half red cylindra and have golden globe. Can't wait till they're ready! Seem late this year, just like the beans were.

Mariposai, Equinox training is going ok. A little behind on where I'd like to be (sort of like some things in my garden) but otherwise, ok. My first of two planned 20 milers is Sunday, and I'm just hoping for no rain and little mud. So much of Equinox is just being prepared for the relentless climbing, and the possibility of bad footing and/or cold conditions. It's unlike training for any other marathon that I've ever done. For example, "speedwork" as typically done in a marathon training program is virtually useless, IMO. What counts is being able to run the last part of rolling hills and downhills after the first third of bigger ups and downs, and a middle portion of relentless climbing (and some descending) steep grades. Throw in roots and some single track trails, and maybe wet leaves on rooty, muddy trails, and you've got the Equinox. So... Sunday's plan is from the start up to the top of the "chute" and back to the finish. Should be about 21.5 to 22 miles, I think, and yes I'll be practicing my power walking.

Congrats to your DD on her job, Wildchild. That sounds right up her alley, and a challenge as well. Teaching freshmen high school students physics, yah...

Took this afternoon off work, and I'm just messing around wasting time. It's fine to think of all the wonderful productive stuff you'll do when you have some time during the day, but I find I just want to veg out. I'll go for a run here in a little bit (it's not raining!) and maybe later haul the recycling in since that's never fun to do in the rain. Gotta do some things while the sun is shining!

DH is in Whitehorse now, making pretty good time. I bet he'll be home tomorrow before too late. The kids are really excited to see their new (to them) car!