Masters Running

Wet and Wonderful Wednesday, March 10 runs and such (Read 495 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

DG - I guess we had a version of the flu.   We are slowly getting back to "normal" whatever that is!  Wink

Kimmie - I live in Michigan and there seem to be coyotes all over the place!   Last week I saw one right in the back yard for the first and hopefully ONLY time ever.

The pictures yesterday were awesome!    Cranium - I bet your wife just loved that gift.   And SteveP - well - Big grin

Out for another 3 miles this morning.   It felt as if my heart was going to pound out of my chest a few times, so walking intervals were mixed in.   Slight drizzle, but warmer today and I actually felt over dressed for the first time in a long while!     When I turned around and was running into the wind though, that feeling changed.    One unexpected fartlek was mixed into the last mile when Brinkley saw something scurry away.     Silly dog ....

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary and all to follow. Must be a bad case of the crud going around. I've been fighting it myself these last few days. Will has been sick and I've been watching him quite a bit  - I think he's a little germ carrier. 

Hope you're feeling better Mary and back on your normal running schedule.

Had to comment on Cranium's picture yesterday - what an awesome, thoughtful birthday present. That was a great idea and she's going to love it.

Nice pictures of Tag and his boy wonder yesterday too. Looks like they get along very well.

All the debate on DST has been interesting. Just heard on the radio this morning that Ben Franklin came up with the idea to save on candle hours.

I got a call from the U S Census Bureau last night. I took the test to be a census taker last November and they called to offer me a job. $14.35 an hour plus 50 cents a mile for up to 8 weeks of employment. No wonder the government doesn't have any money. The trick will be trying to get a full week off of work from my current boss to go for training. I'm not sure that's going to go over very well....

sneaking in here to tell Craneium.......the photo you turned into a poster for DW is awesome!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Indeed the Craneium poster was supercool.

3rd day of no running following my epic fail at Stu's 30K. Chest cold won't quit and my shin is in pain again. I'm going to decide by Saturday or Sunday whether or not I'm attempting Boston. Actually, my body will decide for me and it feels beat to hell at the moment.

On a lighter note, it seems that I'm in the market to rescue a dog/puppy. Lots of dog lovers on here so any tips on a breed that is a light shedder, hypoallergenic and not overly needy are appreciated. It will be a gift to my Terrific Kid and her sisters. There's a brittany spaniel rescue association in Massachusetts with available dogs and I may look there. But my wife has been home raising kids for 10 years and she will very soon have all 3 in full time school so I don't want her to be overly burdened caring for a dog as soon as she gets some freedom back. But it will be loved tremendously by three girls that have been begging for a dog for years.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

EGH--as much as I love Max, I think all three of your requirements eliminate Goldens from your list.

Mary--normal is what you make of it.  just being here probably moves most of us a good ways away from a normal normal.

30 minutes on the elliptical--managed to stay between 140 and 150 for stides and beats per minute.  Not exactly a puddle, but I wouldn't want to look underneath.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Egh - how large of a dog do you want?   I am quite partial to my babies of course and they shed very little.   I have a family buying a puppy this year that thought they'd never be able to have a dog due to alergies.   After spending 2 hours around all 4 of them, the boy never sneezed once.    I really don't  think they qualify as hypo-allergenic though.    Here is a link to the rescue center for the breed. 

There are lots of great dogs out there needing homes right now and it tickles me that you are looking for one for your girls!!  Big grin    Petfinder.com is also a great resource.

~Mary

~unknown

Morning, gang!

Mary - nice kickoff for you and Brinkley!

Jlynne - hope your crud doesn't linger too long - feel better soon - hugs for little Will

George - sorry to hear the shin pain is back.  The crud that's going around here does seem to last forever.  On the dog front , there aren't a lot of choices in the hypoallergenic category - Yorkies, poodles, bichons, and the Portugese Water Dog (ala the current presidential first dog).  I'm sure there are others, but these come to mind at the moment.   A lot depends on your lifestyle - ie how much exercise are you willing to provide? Some breeds are largely couch potatoes, while others like the herding breeds and labs require a lot of exercise in order to be a manageable pet.   Many of the herding and medium to large breeds end up in the shelters because people underestimate the need for exercise - the dogs become unmanageable because they don't get enough activity - a tired dog is a good dog.   Good luck with the hunt!

Stumpy - good job on the elliptical!

Craneium - awseome poster for your DW!!

SteveP - I adore that photo of Tag and Noah - that should be turned into the poster.  I'm also insanely jealous over the John Deere ATV - I want one!!!!

dg - great minds think alike, huh?  or maybe it's injured minds think alike..........

enke - glad you made it through the biting dog neighborhood safely - you are braver than I.  I usually avoid those situations once they develop.

Kimmie - Jesse is my Aussie - we team up to do dog agility. She is kind of like my trainer - she keeps me on my toes.

Mari - very kewl that your trail race has turned into a marthon!

70 minutes on the elliptical this morning - I managed to keep my heart rate in the 140's and 150's.  Core and upper body weights scheduled for lunch. 

UCONN women are certainly on  roll.  Not sure what happened to the men's team???  Looks like the US women's olympic basketball team is likely going to made up of current and former Huskies - how kewl is that??

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Egh - how large of a dog do you want?   I am quite partial to my babies of course and they shed very little.   I have a family buying a puppy this year that thought they'd never be able to have a dog due to alergies.   After spending 2 hours around all 4 of them, the boy never sneezed once.    I really don't  think they qualify as hypo-allergenic though.    Here is a link to the rescue center for the breed. 

There are lots of great dogs out there needing homes right now and it tickles me that you are looking for one for your girls!!  Big grin    Petfinder.com is also a great resource.

Thanks Mary (my Terrific Kid's name is Mary). Small to medium. I like medium myself.  A bichon would be very low maintenance but boring IMHO). I'd like a dog I could run with a couple times per week (more if the dog could tolerate longer runs in early am). And I don't think we need completely hypoallergenic. Mary does sneeze a bit around our neighbor's mutt but not their coton du tulears. I'd say she's a bit sensitive but not allergic. We could actually get one of their coton du tulear puppies next year but I think they're too needy, hard to train and go bonkers when left alone. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out!

the dogs become unmanageable because they don't get enough activity - a tired dog is a good dog.  

I can say the same thing about my daughters. I call them my three sled dogs.

Renee the dog

Petfinder.com is also a great resource.

Yep, that's how Renee got united with our family!

Mariposai, thanks for the hug yesterday.  I can always use one after the event that food shopping is for me! LOL

Today, it was Renee and I out in the sun for 3 marathon-paced miles...first time in shorts outside in 2010.  Still had hat and gloves on though, so I'm not sure if that really counts as a "shorts" run. I'm shooting for the same pace as Rehoboth in November...haven't had enough training to even think of stepping it up any.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary is a grand old name.   Big grin

~Mary

~unknown

On a lighter note, it seems that I'm in the market to rescue a dog/puppy. Lots of dog lovers on here so any tips on a breed that is a light shedder, hypoallergenic and not overly needy are appreciated. It will be a gift to my Terrific Kid and her sisters.

If you want to avoid a dog that requires a ton on time the first thing to do is kick out anything with any possible relation to a terrier.  Those dogs need a lot and I do mean a lot of your time.  Border collies and their ilk are also out.  Basically, working dogs should go into the "do not get" list.  On the other end are hound dogs.  They are very mild mannered and relative to many other breeds need less active attention from their owners.  Yes, even greyhounds. All dogs need a lot of people time.  The real variation is whether that time is with the dog sleeping next to you or you throwing a stick for it to chase!  Have fun with your new pet once you figure out what to get.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

EGH.. we used to have a Bearded Collie.  The nice thing is they have hair, not fur so they don't shed. Wonderful temperment too. Tory and Sadie both shepherd/lab mixes shed alot (seasonally).  When Tory was younger, he'd go on all my runs (except intervals Smile) and could handle 20 miles fine.  It was great having a dog to run with.  Now that he's 8, he runs 2 mi a day, sometimes 4.Good luck on your choice (all of our dogs have been rescue. Tory was next in line to be terminated...)

13.1 miles of hills in 2:02:56 (9:23 pace, AHR 153). Same route as last Wednesday and within 30 secs total time, but it felt easier!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

NO time to read anything this morning, sorry , but I want to wish tselbs a fun day with dd and a great trip to see mama.

wildchild, your run sounded so kul last night. A little bit of everything.

12 miles with 8x 1/2 mile repeats at 8:15ish. This run was hard. It was 29f when I started. 3 easy miles to warm-up, which it never really happened and then I started doing my 1/2 miles repeats. By the 4th one I was drenched in sweat which eventually froze up my clothes, including my running bra and I had to endure the awful sensation of frozen clothing on my skin the duration of the run. A character builder for sure.

stumpy, RE: my last night's post...yeah, I am mighty happy that my 22 ultra trail race is now a marathon distance...hurray!!!!!!! bring them hills and downhills for me babe...I am ready

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

EGH, you won't have to ask a dog if it wants to go running twice. Ours is a boxer/lab mix. I spent an hour watching him with his sibs before we took him home.

4.6 miles with the fuzzy one. He found a very lovely carcass to roll in. Then he asked me not to tell his mom. I told him, only if we could have ice cream.

SteveP

dg.

Good morning! 

just a short post, but I'm trying to get back to being more , um, regular.  

Kevin, Smile

Mary, I hope you feel better soon.

Perch, good.

Sue, how about great injured minds?           or would that be injured great minds?   -)

ok, Lou I get it now.   thanks.  maybe I should try the same thing.  I can't really do any quality runs, so I'm just doing all of them a little too fast.

Kimmie, I stuck a welcome to you at the end of a daily, wanted to say Welcome! again in case you missed it!    You sound like a great Brownie leader :-)

I cross trained today because my butt hurt all day yesterday.  See how well I learn?  49 min. on the elliptical (to show that I am not compulsive), 13 min. on the bike, then rows, bicep curls, upper & lower body weight machines, just one set, & stability hammie curls, side planks & russian twists.

George good luck on the dog search!    What a nice thing to do for your girls.   It is so much fun getting  a dog.