Masters Running

Sunday JAN 6th Boomaster Runs (Read 678 times)

evanflein

Wow, some awesome nice runs here today... Holly, PDR, Perch... miss any other long ones? Sorry about the knee, Lou. That sucks. You're right to take care of it now... Chris, nice memorial. That's really special. And Bill.... Woohoo! Way to go, Mr Beeergr! Good way to look at the "mere seconds" thing. Nuthin' wrong with #3. That's a great new PR you set. I sure wish I could say it was unseasonably warm here... You guys are getting all of that, I think all your cold came this way. Actually, it certainly could be much much worse. My weather widget says -2 now at almost 9 am, so I'm really not complaining. Just a "sigh" hearing about Holly changing into her skirt... My plan is 16-18 today, but we got a lot of new fluffy snow and I'll be on the roads so every car passing will blow it all over me. I may get tired of that real soon, but I do need an outdoor run. Tall, good decision to ease up on the workout. Glad to hear your intro to your lady friend's kids went well, hope it holds for the other way around.
      Good job on the long runs Holly and PDR. Congratulations to Bill on his new 10K PR. Great way to start the year. On a not so great way to start the year I ran a 10K race today and to say I had a bad race is the year's understatement. Ok, so the year is only six days old. Still. My Garmin tells me I finished in 42:51. That is slower than the last 10K I really raced two years ago when I was much slower. (Last year I ran just one and paced my DW through it.) Sigh . . . Cry back to doing speedwork which I have not done in months. So sad the way bodies are just happy to lose all of their conditioning if you give them any sort of chance to do so. Its seems like it should be more like a bank account or something. You build up your savings and if you quit working you draw it down slooooowly. Maybe something like up to twice the rate you put it in or something. Not, you build it up over several years and then you draw it down in a few weeks! Tongue Man, bodies are just so unfair! Good runs all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Way to go Breger! Cool A good run and drinking coffee are two of my favorite activities. I did 8 miles with a young guy who is a newer runner, we've been in running club together for about a year but never ran with each other before. It was great company. I hit my training plan perfectly, 10 minute pace out and 9:30 pace back. That's my long run everyother week with longer runs scheduled the other Sundays, will be 11 next week. 16 weeks to Flying Pig Half so I'm taking baby steps in my training trying to avoid past injuries.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Some nice LRs today, and nice 52-mile week for Perch. Breger – nice race and PR! Rgreen – I’ve been playing with my marathon training plan, considering adding a 6th easy running day to my normal 5-day plan in Feb and March, but I see you’ve done very well without moving to 6 days/week. I’m still debating about it. Deez4boys – Dark Horse said he was going away for the weekend to do military training. Erika – you know, you can do half outside and half on the treadmill. I do it all the time, when DH has to go into work early and I have to get back to watch the kids. {{{twocat}}} – I know the feeling, my fren… Sarge – sounds like you’re right on schedule with your training – nice job.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great run...Mr. Breeeeeeger....Big congrats...excellent splits... Lots of nice LR's too... MC....sounds like you recovery is working..this is a good sign.... Today.....out at 7:30 am for what was supposed to be an easy 12 miler....52 humid degrees...it is currently 64 degrees... My right leg and hamstring have been sore and tender for about a week or so...and today was no different....when I finished this 12 miler it felt like I had already run my marathon...sure hope things clear up before next weekend.. Good running to all...

King of PhotoShop

I see there are a lot of Nice LR's in the Januray weather. Nice job everyone! I ran the Scholarship 10K this morning here at my DS's old HS. I ran it in 47:44 (7:41 min/mile), a 1 minute 11 second PR. Splits were 7:39, 7:56 7:31, 7:42, 7:39, 7:16 and the final sprint. I took 3rd in my AG, missing 2nd by 4 seconds (Grrrr). But by the same token I missed placing 4th by 4 seconds too (Yayyyy). 3 of us together from the same AG together at the sprint to the finish. I got a nice trophy and a "Top 10%" coffee cup. (This time is faster per minute than my 1st 5K last year. Bill
              This is outstanding and shows how much progress you have made by getting in some shorter distance races while in great shape. Just look at that final mile split! Way to go Bill! Believe me when I say you have much more success to come. Spareribs
                Good Afternoon fellow Boomasters! 18. 3 hilly miles for me at 9:30 AM with the running Js (4 other women marathoners). We ran at 9:05-9:10 pace with mile 9-13 at 7:55 pace---mile 9 was actually 8:12, mile 10 was an 8:00 and miles 11-13 hit closer to 7:55. I'll take it. It was partly cloudy and 36F. I was happy to run in a baseball cap and fewer layers. The snow is still quite plentiful here, so the surfaces were tricky at times. All in all a good solid run and we all kept each other going in the lag parts. One of the Js is a doctor and is on call this weekend. She actually got paged and had to call in during the run. We changed the route a bit so she could get to the hospital----little drama for our merry band. Nice racing Bill. Congrats! Sorry you are disappointed with your race results Two Cat. I am sure your times can get back in the range you wish. Good long runs out there and workouts as well. Take care of the knee WRFB. I actually saw you at Hartford at the baggage pick-up trucks after the race. I was there with one of my running pals (the one in a white hat pictured in my profile photo) since we put our stuff together in one bag. I was a bit out of it then, but I realized as you scurried away that it was you. You were making tracks to the finish line to greet your lovely and newly BQed wife. All of this to say....Heal thy knee so I can meet you and PDR for real this time! Over and out for now....lots of work to do before the full week of work ahead. CNYrunner PJH---I use Groovy or Groovadelic or even Groovalicious quite a lot----all purpose adjectives to my way of thinking. I am stuck in the late 60s and early 70s it appears! It makes my family nuts, so I am glad it made you chuckle.
                  Met my new GF's children last night and they are so special. Tall
                  Lou and I read this today and recalled the first time he met my girls in 1994. We all went out to dinner together, and I still remember him commenting to me at the end of the evening "I can't imagine how he (my ex) could ever have left this family". Still bruised by the turn my life had taken a few years earlier, it was nice to hear that from him. Blending families can be tricky, but if you tread carefully it absolutely can work. One thing I did early on was to continue with certain things that we girls did on our own, including our "girl vacations". Lou was always a little sad to see us go off on our own for a few days, but he knew it was important.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

8 easy ones with some small hills thrown in,7:52 pace... Mr.Ribs and Dark Horse,your chess talk is fascinating,do you mind if I ask your ranking? My running partners son is doing quite well locally at the middle school level with a 1258,just thought I'd ask since you sound like competent veterans... Edited to add: Bill,you RAWK,nice race!!!
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      Way to Race and PR Bill!! Nice placement. Twocat, maybe just a bad day we all have one once in a while. On the other hand a great motivator to do more training. Sounds like lots of early winter miles good job everyone. 10 miles for my Sunday run in warm but slushy conditions. I Took it slow because of a tender calf. Just around 10 minut miles so a good long run for me I suppose. I have been holding since about November and am getting antsy to start my marathon training in a couple of weeks.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Wow, nice LRs from Holly, PDR, and Perch. And Bill, what a race! Tall, I'm sure things will go fine. 6.6 easy miles for me today, feeling a little sluggish after yesterday's MLR. Although the temp was only slightly higher (32 -> 36) than yesterday, I felt warm and I shed my gloves half way through.
                          Rgreen – I’ve been playing with my marathon training plan, considering adding a 6th easy running day to my normal 5-day plan in Feb and March, but I see you’ve done very well without moving to 6 days/week. I’m still debating about it.
                          Holly, I try to stress quality over quantity due to my age. As of now, I'm in very good health for a 56 y.o. but I want to be able to enjoy running for a long time. During short race season and initial marathon training, I stick with 4 days a week, logging between 36-42 miles. For my 2 BQ's in 2007, I added a 5th day in the last 5-6 weeks which was simply a 5 mile run at sightseeing pace. I had a very good 2007 using this method. Your PR list is very impressive Holly. That DRCC half marathon is my favorite 13.1. I ran it in 2005 and although I had a bad day, the event itself is great. I may be there again in 2008.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Erika – you know, you can do half outside and half on the treadmill. I do it all the time, when DH has to go into work early and I have to get back to watch the kids.
                            Yeah!, so do I. Like today, 12 miles, 6 outside on a hilly loop, 6 inside on the TM. I do it primarily so that I don't have to carry hydration with me. And today it happens that I had a patch of sun following me again, and after I went into the gym, it started sleeting. I am having good luck finding the one hour per day it is not raining. When I attempt my 20 milers however, I promise to do them all outside. rgreen, can I just say something - holy crap you are fit!! Boomasters??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

rgreen, can I just say something - holy crap you are fit!!
                              Thank you. Smile As my training log grows, you'll see that I'm human, just like everyone else. Wink

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

18 miles @6:40 / mile. This was my first real workout since Philly - I logged a good deal of miles (90+) at end of 2007 but they were all relatively easy - Today, I figured I should put that race behind me and start training for a Spring Marathon. I was going to do 20 but ended up at 18 - flat paved trail. I felt OK but need to build up slowly again. All in all, I feel like I didn't lose to much and the high mileage should help me recover quickly. Ray