Masters Running

Thursday, 3.24.16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I see there has been a bit of discussion about the medical profession and medical insurance over the past couple 'a days. Fortunately, DW and I are pretty healthy. But we still ask a lot of questions and do our own research before signing up for any meds or procedures that our docs recommend. My doc is used to me saying "Thanks, but no thanks" when he suggests meds or tests that I don't think are appropriate or necessary., or where I decide the risks are greater than the potential rewards. I like and trust him and he's great at providing information and answers for me, and he lets me know the degree to which he feels what he is suggesting is important/critical. But I never lose sight of the fact that it is my body and my decision.

I had my last meeting as chair of our conservation commission on Tuesday. However, I got elected as vice chair for this year, and the woman we elected as chair was out sick, so I wound up running the meeting anyway. We have an issue over a conservation easement on a property where I have to tell our town attorney today that I don't agree with and can't support his assessment of a situation involving that easement. That should be interesting. I've had meetings each evening this week, and have another one tonight. So DW (the Boss) and I are going out to breakfast today so we can catch up with each other.

7.8 RW miles in windy 37F temps, under cloud-obscured skies. I started easy and picked up the pace a little over each mile, working on technique issues all the time. Nice workout. Weird thing is that I saw 6 cars out there this morning, but none before or after mile 6. (Yeah, I count cars on my workouts. No, I don't know why.)

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RANT ON-

...rose//......we now have DataBases for watching Narcotic Useage,

and pharmacists are required to check prior to dispensing

the abuse is so extensive, I only filled for my Regular Customers (in Tennessee)

and turned down customers from-

Cincinnatti, OH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (who claimed he would drive down here to have his Rx's Filled,,,,,,which was cute,

or he thought I was as Stoopid as I must look)

Northern Ky bordering Ohio

various parts of Florida

various parts of Georgia

...............we kept track and turned down 8-12 Out-Of-State Narcotic Rxs PER DAY

my GrandPrizeWinner>>>>>>24-doctors, 20-pharmacies................

my Second Place PrizeWinner>>>>>>>> #280 Time-Release Morphine 160mg tabs (yes, 160mg is not a typo)

back in the 90's

the makers of OxyContin were REALLY pushing docs

to prescribe their med,,,,,,,at one CE they had,

they actually claimed

unless you BROKE THE LAW to obtain your med you were only ''Physically Dependent'' not ''Addicted''

,,,,,,,,I told them

that was the ''Most Embarrassing Presentation I had ever heard'' and refused to take their CE Credit

the sad part is,

because of these Druggies, the people who actually need Pain Meds for Legitimate Medical Use  are subjected to needless hassles

RANT OFF-

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...oh, ps.........super windy,,,,,,,,,,,60-min HHW

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

61F

10 miles

1:34:51

Tricia, Marty, Carol, Ralph, Bob, VermontAndy, and I all headed out this morning to run the Hornsby Loop. It's a hilly route but we wanted to show our guest runner, Andy, some of our local beauty. All of us chuckled when we talked about this because the hour at which we run, we don't see much in the dark.

But this morning?!  GLORIOUS!  The fullish moon, Mars and stars, College Landing Creek shimmering in the moonlight.  It is a tough hill we run up at this point but, the moon seemed to flatten the road.

Moonshadows moon shadows.  Marvelous night for a moon dance. Dancing in the moonlight, everybody. Into the Moonlight The serious moonlight.

And THEN. Bonus!  The sun came up as the moon was still beaming. We ran toward the back side of the Capitol and it was magical with the moon backlighting the historic building. After we left Carol in the parking lot because she had to get to work, Ralph and I ran a campus loop. It was fantastic. We ran toward the moon and looked behind us to see the sun surrounded by pinks and purples and blues. Sun and Moon. Moon and Sun. Oh what a magical mystical run.

AND THEN.

I came home and took care of Veta and Leon.

And then,

I went to the high school's Red Cross Blood drive. Donated a pint of B neg and came home to rehydrate with some high quality H2O.

Be well.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

But this morning?!  GLORIOUS!  The fullish moon, 

And THEN. Bonus!  

Me too too

2-mile out-and-back to Mary’s Falls
            6:15 a.m - 8:02 a.m. (1hr/47min)
            32-degrees
            Drove the five minutes to the Visitor Center where running down to Mary’s Falls through a lifting fog along the expansive sandy spits and beaches exposed during winter’s low waters with the full moon full moon setting over the misty blue glacier transformed the otherwise barren landscape into a magical wonderland to be topped off with a bonus of having half dozen mountain goats, two with kids, emerge from the trimline for morning breakfast on the newly-budding shrubs, bushes and blueberries on the rocky faces. No wonder I love running so much

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

whoops, posted today's run on yesterday's thread

5 miles, windy but I got it done!

I am taking a long weekend trip with Mr. Blue Eyes to San Francisco in about a month.  Any suggestions on neat things to do while there?  I think I'd like to see the original Levi's factory/store, Ghirardelli chocholates, go eat dim sum, perhaps a day trip to Napa valley for some wine tasting (funny, my plans all seem food-centric), see that famous bridge, but what else?  Go for a run somewhere pretty...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

5.6 miles for me this morning in a windy 60 degrees - woo hoo!  Cold front is moving in now though, with lots of wind and rain and possibly some snow, but only for a day or two.

DD is going away with a friend until Sunday mid-day.  Saves me from that discussion I had been working up the courage to embark on, "Do you think that maybe this year the Easter Bunny can stop filling and hiding 100 eggs around the house?"  Of course, there will still be a basket of chocolate goodies waiting for her, but at least I can sleep in.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

"Do you think that maybe this year the Easter Bunny can stop filling and hiding 100 eggs around the house?" 

Why would the Easter Bunny stop hiding eggs?  That's what the Easter Bunny does.

I am taking a long weekend trip with Mr. Blue Eyes to San Francisco in about a month.  Any suggestions on neat things to do while there?  I think I'd like to see the original Levi's factory/store, Ghirardelli chocholates, go eat dim sum, perhaps a day trip to Napa valley for some wine tasting (funny, my plans all seem food-centric), see that famous bridge, but what else?  Go for a run somewhere pretty...

Walk the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito and have lunch or dinner at one of the neat little restaurants, then cab it back. Just the walk across that bridge is spectacular! Also, if you're into touristy things, take the tour of Alcatraz. And definitely go to Sear's for breakfast. And don't forget the cable cars! San Francisco is one of my favorite places to visit, as I think you can tell   Have fun Enke!

No run this morning. Because of the storm, the Y didn't open until 8 AM so I helped DH get the snow off the driveway, then headed to the Y for an hour on the elliptical, 30 minutes of weights, and stuck around and took a flex and balance class. Then I came home and my DIL brought my 3 grandsons over who were suffering from big time "cabin fever." We dyed 2 dozen hard boiled eggs for Easter, and I think they only cracked 6.  A HUGE improvement from last year! We baked some banana bread, had some chocolate milk and then mom came to pick them up. Then I went out to help DH with round 2 of shoveling after the plow came through the second time. Really wet, heavy snow - and it's still coming down. Then I read Holly running in 60° Calgon, take me away....

Oops! Totally forgot about the Haight-Ashbury District. Go into some of the tie-dye t-shirt shops there, have a glass of Sangria and re-live the Timothy Leary LSD years   Maybe buy a Haight-Ashbury poster for your kids' dorm room.  On a more serious note, the Glide Church in the Tenderloin District is an awesome place on Sunday morning.

San Francisco:

Pier 39

California Academy of Sciences

Chinatown Walking Tour

St. Helena, CA (north of SF)

Healdsburg, CA (north of SF)

Visit Napa Valley

Seriously - you need more than a long weekend!  

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Enke: De Young Museum, Golden Gate Park, Run along the Embarkadero and the Marina, the Ferry Building, the CoitbTower, Italian food in North Beach, Mexican food in the Mission district--if you get most of these in you should be there for about a year-I love SF!

5 miles on a raw windy day- longest run in over a month- minimal knee pain but I was exhausted afterwards - out of shape I guess. Off to NYC and Brooklyn for a family get together this weekend and a run over the Brooklyn Bridge.

evanflein

San Francisco:

Pier 39

California Academy of Sciences

Chinatown Walking Tour

St. Helena, CA (north of SF)

Healdsburg, CA (north of SF)

Visit Napa Valley

Seriously - you need more than a long weekend!  

Yes, all this, and remember you can go wine tasting in St. Helena and Healdsburg as well! Lots of nice wineries. And what Henrun said about running the Embarcadero, and you can keep going all the way to the bridge! I love doing that run. The places to eat are just incredible.

Sorry about all the snow, Jeanne! Green Bay was on the Today Show this morning!

Nice and sunny here again. I ran 5.7 miles this afternoon and overheated. By the time I was walking up the hill, I'd stripped off my headband, gloves and jacket and was still warm! Should be even warmer tomorrow, and I'm planning on a run home after work. Great way to end a long week!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

You can't go to San Francisco and not see Mrs. Doubtfires's house...well...that's what Debbie would say, anyway.

I went 15 miles, tonight.  It hurt.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

No help here about San Francisco.

But cheers to MikeE on his 15 miles on a working week night. How do you do it!!!!

6 miles for me today in between work and a presentation to the local Kiwanis group to ask for volunteers for the Omak Orchards in Bloom race.

6 miles with 4x800m that hurt. It felt good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

When my Dr started ordering various test for me, I told DW that we were not going into debt over this. My out of pocket expenses for the last test I was scheduled for was over $1,000.00. We keep hearing, "It's probably xxx. I want to test you for yyy, just to rule that out".

Love Enke and Mr Blue eyes.

DD is going away with a friend until Sunday mid-day.  Saves me from that discussion I had been working up the courage to embark on, "Do you think that maybe this year the Easter Bunny can stop filling and hiding 100 eggs around the house?"  Of course, there will still be a basket of chocolate goodies waiting for her, but at least I can sleep in.  

We picked up the Easter Bunny costume. We added three more families to our route. Most of the kids I'll never see outside of the costume. DW got after me for going over board, then bought a large quantity of candy. The cashier had a few variations of "Holy Cow". While we were dividing up, she kept returning from her sekrit hide out with books, toys, a couple of pajama sets, new blue jeans, spring dresses.......... It's a good thing I have a truck.

SteveP