Masters Running

Calling all Newbies 2/7/09 (Read 489 times)

Rindaroo

Where is everyone? Thought it was time to start a new thread. Okay so I decided against the MRI for now. But doc office told me, just to let them know if I change my mind. They are doing a podiatrist referral, and I would like the podiatrist make that call. I called the local running store & asked for their recommendation on a podiatrist. Shockingly enough, its the same one as my doctor wanted to refer me to. So, I feel better about that Smile I have been wearing the splint this week because the ankle has felt unstable. It feels better today, so am thinking about doing a really, really slow walk on the treadmill ( & see what happens). How is everyone doing this week?
    dg.

Hi Linda.... thanks for starting a new thread. I was really hoping you'd get an MRI... but at least the option is still there. And it does sound like the podiatrist is good. I just didn't have the best experience with the one I went too, & he was supposed to be really good. I think part of it has to do with what it is they're dealing with. Mine was my toes... he wanted me to wear really stiff soled shoes, or get a graphite insert that really keeps it (big toe) from bending. I asked him how that would effect other things.. you have to bend somewhere, & I know it can cause problems because I've tried that before. He said he didn't know. He wasn't a kinesiologist... just dealt with feet. I do appreciate it that he didn't just guess, or make something up! but,,, how can you just treat something isolated from everything else? Anyway... I told you this just in case it could in some way be useful when you go. Probably not. When is your appt? Good luck! Report asap. I'm doing ok. fell today... walking, not running! on black ice. I'm a little sore but it's ok. I came home & regrouped , then went to the gym & did 10 miles there. My hamstrings etc. do seem to be getting steadily better, if I avoid being too stupid. I ice a lot. Hi to everybody else. Mike, are you ok?
        Hi, kids! Thanks for the new thread Linda. Ran 5.5 yesterday and 7.0 today (!!!) in GLORIOUS weather. The crowds on the boardwalk reminded me how grateful I am to be at the shore year-round, even if it's just weekends most of the year, so that I can enjoy it when it's a little less packed with people lolligagging in the "runners" lane. Do they even read?!?!? Definitely a rest day tomorrow, although I think I'll try that Yoga for Surfers DVD, making it a rest-from-running day. I'm pretty sure the XT I've been doing lately is making a positive difference in my running. Linda - good luck with the podiatrist. I hope your experience is as good as mine. I was also referred to my resident foot god by the genius that owns my running store and they both rock! The two of them together have had a huge influence on my ability to continue to run. Deb - black ice is EVIL. Avoid it at all costs! Have a good week, everyone. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

I'm here, still on the C25K program for about the 3rd time in 2 years. I've registered for the Indianapolis mini-marathon's 5K, and that's coming up in May which keeps me motivated. Very little foot pain from the PF. But right now I'm not running - I'm here in Indy, staying with our toddler grandson while his mom (our daughter who pushed me to run in two years ago) is in ICU with blood clots in her lung and arm; our son-in-law is staying with her, so I'm the baby-sitter, errand-doer, laundress, etc., and am so glad I can help. Our daughter is also a bit more than half way through a pregnancy which greatly complicates which meds can be safely used. ANYway, I'm not on a treadmill, nor outside running, just running after our grandson. And praying for our daughter and her baby girl due in late May.
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Linda--Thanks for the new start. I know I've been negligent about posting (Funny how not running lessens my desire to) Sorry to hear the foot is going so slowly. Hope the splint helps. Roberta--good to hear from you. Chasing a toddler really qualifies as exercise Big grin It's only been 16 years since I had to, and I hope it will be several years yet, as DD is only 18 and DS isn't married Wink Eliz--Great miles for you. It was gorgeous here, so I imagine it was especially nice farther south. We have finished up our project in your neighborhood and I never ended up spending much time down there. I've got another possibility down near Egg Harbor, so maybe I'll be able to spend a little more time down there. I made it out with Max for the first time in quite a while. Still got a little out of breath, but it was really nice to have something to put in the log. I forgot to try out my brand new Garmin. I have to practise so I'll have some idea of how to use it when I do run again. Hi to everyone else, Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Linda, thanks for starting a new. Why no MRI? Deb, 10 miles on an indoor track? Thats incredible. Black ice sucks. Ice sucks. Winter sucks. I need to move back to HI. Who's coming with me? Eliz, so you are there everyweekend now for the singing? When are you going to post a recording so we all can hear it? The yoga DVD's are awesome. I just bought the AM yoga and love it. L's, youre still around! Yeah. What a grandmother you are to step in like that. Every new mom needs one of you. Stick to your program even if you have to push the grandkid around in a jogger stroller while you run. Kevin, you ran? Hows the heart? Give us a full write up on the Garmin when you get used to using it. Mike? Are you there? Theresa, are you frozen solid up there? No runs for me yet. A lot of leg pain. I had two pain free days last weekend (31st and 1st) but sore and stiff since then even after swimming. I have a massage today. That should help. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Laurie-afraid it was just a walk, but still more than I have been doing. Hope you thawed out a little with temps in the 40's for the weekend. Of course it was 23 this morning. Hope the legs loosen up a little for you.

How's this for ironic - I bought a book called "Running the Spiritual Path" last night, headed out ready to commune with nature and the higher power today, and had the carpiest run of the last several weeks! Roll eyes Nothing felt right - I was overdressed, I couldn't get my shoelaces adjusted right, my right big toe was hurting from rolling a presentation cart over it at school today . . . blah, blah blah. Most of my thinking about any higher power was related to saying the word "god" with an expletive or two following it! Made it through 3.5 miles, not much worse for wear, and feel pretty good now, though. Kevin - which Egg Harbor? I'm very close to Egg Harbor Township (or EHT, as the locals call it); kinda close to Little Egg Harbor and Egg Harbor City. I can suggest a few watering holes, er, ah, eateries, that the locals frequent. Laurie - yep, I'm at the Jersey Shore every weekend these days. Tough gig, but somebody's gotta do it! Not much to record and post, although I do have a little solo in the anthem this week. Maybe I can figure out some way of recording it - after I learn it! Can't believe the stupid thing I did to my toe. Used to be whenever I signed up for a race, I got hurt the next day. Now I'm just THINKING about signing up for Broad Street (registration's not open yet), and I'll probably have my first black toenail soon, NOT from running. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, My tri friend is a 4th grade teacher and complains about those carts all the time. I guess they are not very user friendly. This is just God testing you or maybe prompting you to find an easier way for all to move around those carts. I was harassed by a town cop in the middle school parking lot a few weeks ago. I prayed 'why me' that night and my answer was that it was my duty to inform the school of how unsafe their parking lot is before and after school. So I did. I wrote a long letter to the principal with many suggestions. They have done little about it. I have seen an adult out there watching kids cross the chaotic lot a few times and the police out there just watching but thats it. When a kid gets hit by a car then they will do something. Kev, sorry it was just a walk. Hopefully soon you will be running again. This winter kind of sucks for running anyhow. Although today is supposed to be up to 56 degrees which is good but then the roads are wet and the trails are muddy. I beat myself up last night on the rock wall again. Today I will pay the price. When will I learn?! Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--The Plant is right near the intersection of Black Horse and English Creek. I think that's Egg Harbor Twp? We usually stay somewhere on Black Horse. I can't think of any spot that I've hit more than once in the area (except for Wawa Smile ) so suggestions would be welcome. I may be done there within the next month, but not again until summertime most likely. It's also unlikely to be there on the weekend--which means you're in Philly? My suggestion would be steel toed shoes Wink They make really fashionable ones for women these days Roll eyes Laurie--at least it will be a different set of muscles that are sore? I'm now fully electronically equipped for when I actually start running again. I bought a used 2GB Sansa Clip on eBay (that came all the way from Hawaii Shocked ) I was a little surprised that it came with 305 songs on it. About 5 of them I would have any interest in, but DD will be happy to take most of the others, so I can load it with real music. pretty neat little device--holds in the vicinity of 500 songs, has a FM tuner, and you can record messages. all in the size of a shuffle. Happy rest of the week to all. Kevin

dg.

good morning all, just a quick post.. Roberta, how is your daughter??? (((( )))) Linda, when do you see the podiatrist? more later.
                          Kev, whats a sansa clip? Is it a music player like an ipod? Do you like it? I am so ingrained with the ipod that I dont think I would even try something else. L's, hows things? Getting no where with PT. I have an appt set up with an orthopedic surgeon. I know what part of the problem is...one I jinxed myself by stating that I was going to recover in record time. Two...that I keep beating myself up. Laurie

Rindaroo

Hey all - Finally made the podiatrist appointment - its on March 5th. I have a message on my answering machine from the MRI place wanting to schedule an appointment, so guess my doc still did that referral... now I have to decide if I can afford to do it or not. We didn't go to the dentist for awhile & it seems that's where I'm spending all our money right now.... starting with a $625 orthodontic appliance for DD, DS needs braces, but thinking I might wait on him... then fillings, possible crowns etc. So I've still been wearing the splint during the day because my ankle starts to twist when I don't wear it Sad guess I need to call & find out if insurance approved the MRI at least - that would only be 60% but guess I could see what I'd be looking at anyway.
                            lswife

Hey, all, let's not let our aches, pains, ouchies get us down. Reading our posts is like reading an injury board, but the one thing that makes us different is that we're all determined to get better and run again/continue running. My eyes are on the Indy 5K the first Saturday in May, and my goal is to run the whole way rather than walk and run. But even if I walk some, I will "win" just by doing it. Only about ten weeks to get in better shape . . . Our daughter is still hospitalized in the high-risk pregnancy unit at the hospital, not in the ICU anymore, and again on heparin IV to reduce the blood clots in her lung and arm. We grandparents have been taking turns watching their toddler while her husband stays at the hospital, but now that the situation isn't critical, he's at home a bit more, to let us have a break. One doctor's theory of why the blood thinners aren't working well is that because she's slim but "muscular" due to running, the thigh muscles are hindering the absorption of heparin and lovenox. A good thing, though - because of the running, her strong and extra-healthy lungs are "fighting" the blood clots quite well. Let's hang in there - one foot in front of the other. Roberta
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Roberta, I will be thinking about your daughter. I was hospitalized for a week due to a kidney infection in 1996, when my kids were 15 months and 4 years old. That is rough! I remember crying when they came to the hospital to see me, just because I was emotional and exhausted. I'm glad your daughter is out of ICU! I had a lovely 4-mile run OUTDOORS today! Felt great. Tomorrow morning I'm off on a 1400-mile college visiting trip with DS16, through New York and Pennsylvania. Today he competed in the state indoor track meet - his team won the 4x800 relay, and he also came in 2nd place in the mile and 3rd in the two-mile. His times were slow for him, so he's disappointed! He qualified for the New England meet in all three events, though, so it really was a good day. See you guys next week! Good luck with the running.