Masters Running

Thursday Daily - 01/24/13 (Read 42 times)

Well it's almost 6:30 and no daily up yet so I'll post as I have a very busy day ahead of me.

Woke up to -3 degrees at my house this morning, another frigid day ahead of us here in New England which is supposed to last right through the weekend with a slight warmup early next week and temps into the 40s by mid-week...can't come soon enough for me!

Last night I did a Medium Long Run on the treadmill - 12 Miles MLR - 1:34:30 (7:52).  I am feeling stronger by the day, now to just stay healthy and hopefully I'll get into sub 3:30 shape for my marathon.

5 easy on tap for later today.

Have a great day everyone and stay warm.

Just checkin in to say congrats on the great half marathon Bob and nice to see you with your sister again.

3F yesterday here and a balmy 12 today so I too did a treadmill run yesterday, 6.6 miles in 1 hour.

Be safe and stay warm!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

coastwalker

Mornin' Mainerunnah, Sarge, and everyone yet to post.

12 miles on a treadmill, Bob - Amazing!

4.4 racewalking miles at 4:20 this morning.. It was -1, with a substantial breeze creating a -13 windchill. I did a tempo walk, keeping the speed up to keep my body's furnace cranking. Even though it is close to a full moon, it had already set by the time I got out, but I still had a sky-full of stars to enjoy. The only problem I had out there was that when the wind hit from the side, my ear got very cold, even with a heavy-weight knit cap. Maybe I need some earmuffs over/under my cap?

There is a pond across the street to the west of us, and most mornings, the wind comes from the west. This morning was no exception, and the combination of the whipping winds and low temps caused the pipes in a bathroom on that side of the house to freeze. The weather's going to be like this for another couple of days, so we won't even try to thaw them out till Saturday. Welcome to wintah!

Have a great day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' guys//.........20's here,,,,,,,dropping into teens when WhonkerIceStorm zips thru.

========

double wgt sessions

pt xs

.......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.

I finally made it for my first ever MMTD run this morning.  Barely.  4.1 miles with 4°F at just under 10mpm.  Hit the clothing just about right--almost a little warm at the end.  Strangly enough, there were not a lot of folks around the lake this morning.  I passed a couple of ladies out for a walk and got a good laugh out of them when I told them "I'm glad I'm not the only one foolish enough to be out here".

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

The Sunday LR and yesterday's light track work out caught up to me today, as my run started out kind of rickety and wobbly, so I jogged one lap at the park, 1.1 miles, and called it quits.  Off to buy a new iPod Nano.  Spareribs

Dave59

When it's cold (15 or lower), I just run a few miles here or there without a plan or purpose.  Today was 3.56 miles.   Those toe shields I bought a couple weeks ago are great. (http://embracedincomfort.com/Fitness-Solutions/SHEELDZ-p18.html)

I made it about 12 steps today before I realized I had forgotten them so I quickly went back and put them on.  My toes have been the one part of me that I couldn't keep warm.  Now they do fine.

I have been informed by my bike riding friends that these kind of things have been around for a long time for riding in the cold.  They seem simple enough that a crafty person could make their own pretty easy.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks, just checking in on my lunch.

Lovely and sunny outside, but the sunshine lies - it's in the teens out there.  Running my little heater-fan by my desk and, since I just ate lunch, I feel tempted to fall asleep in my chair.....

No run for me this morning, just a light weights and core workout with my planks.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Thursday, 24

Snow

-6 | -24 °F

Snow

Chance of
                    Precipitation

80%

Friday, 25

Partly Cloudy

-18 | -42 °F

Partly Cloudy

Chance of
                    Precipitation

10%

Saturday, 26

Fog

-22 | -51 °F

Fog

Chance of
                    Precipitation

0%

Sunday, 27

Fog

-42 | -8 °F

Fog

Chance of
                    Precipitation

0%

Monday, 28

Fog

-2 | -20 °F

Fog

Chance of
                    Precipitation

Enough of this complaining about your cold, ok? Just sayin....

C-R

Oh my Erika. I did not realize you live so toolset  close (goofy iphone spell check) to Santa or Buffalo (my family lives there and I never complain to them about cold weather).

I got an easy 10k today. I get where your coming from ribs. Takes longer restore recover (see above) over each year.

MTA: perhaps posting form the iphone is not such a grand idea. Oh well it does make me unpredictable. Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

steve, my condolences to your friend's family and  peoplle like you who were close to him.  Also, neat pictures of your run with Tag and Honey.  fatozzig, good luck with the sisters who can't get along.  mari, nice progression run on the TM.

Nice long runs for Mike, Tramps, and maine

This morning, it was much warmer than where evan lives but still cold enough  that this wimp did the TM.  It was 8 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Isn't -51°F cold even for you guys?  Shocked

I know I'm just a wannabe when it comes to cold weather running.  It's just the first time that temps and my running ability have come into alignment.  I have to work with what I get.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Busy here too, along with many of you.  Not nearly as cold as many of you.  (No one's as cold as Erika.  Brrrr.)  We did get about 3 inches of snow last night, which made my unpaved road a little slippery but pretty.  EZPZ 7.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

When it's cold (15 or lower), I just run a few miles here or there without a plan or purpose.  Today was 3.56 miles.   Those toe shields I bought a couple weeks ago are great. (http://embracedincomfort.com/Fitness-Solutions/SHEELDZ-p18.html).

I think I know what you mean dave as, starting back from Dr. Charlie Robbins' AAU championship distance running in the forties and fifties, a lot of the barefoot crowd wear neoprene aquasock shoes to keep warm during winter running.
                              I don’t know what they’re called now but do you do anything for other areas of concern we used to beef up when I was skiing up in between erika-and-rhoon-land in my more youthful days?  http://storm.cadcam.iupui.edu/drs/fabrics/

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Yeah, but you're USED to it. Smile The rest of us are just wimps. We had a heat wave of 11° today and it's the first time since last weekend I've even seen any signs of life on the streets around here. I saw a guy who always rides his bike at the same time I leave for work. He had so many clothes on this morning I can't imagine how he was able to even peddle.

Steve - I'm so sorry about your friend.

Tselbs - congratulations grandpa!

TomW - you've been awfully quiet these last few days. Everything okay???

Four miles on the track at the Y today. I'm calling it an interval workout as I kept having to speed up to run around the idiots walking 2 and 3 abreast making it impossible for the runners to get around them. Grrrrr - I'll be so glad when the New Years' resolution people are gone! I tried one of the new plank positions in Tammy's post. Darn near killed myself!  You too, OM.  Holy cow - how many of those did you do?

Feeling very fat and slow these days and thinking I should start the weight loss thread back up.....