Masters Running

Tuesday April 8 Daily (Read 42 times)

Tramps

Good morning.

Karin--Ultra-Amy sounds pretty amazing!

Amy—third overall!  Nice.

TomS—cute pic.

Denise—good training there, 5K+long run!

A long day of relentless rain yesterday left our dirt road nice and cushy for this morning’s run, like a track.  The blue herons and geese overhead were making a racket this morning.  The sounds of spring.

5 miles today!  Every new distance feels like a mini-milestone.  That’ll be it for increasing distance this week though; don’t want to push too fast.

Have a good one!

Be safe. Be kind.

Good for you for resisting temptation and taking it easy, Tramps.

Advice Requested: I've been having a problem the last few weeks that I've had in the past, but not for a few years. Basically, the muscles on the front side of my shins cramp up right when I start running and continue to get worse if I keep it up. The "cure" is for me to just come to a stop at about the half-mile point and stand still for a minute or so as the pain ebbs away. Then I can start running again and I'm pain free for the rest of the run.

I used to call these "shin splints", but that ailment is bone and not muscle-related. I thought that I'd been preventing this issue by stretching those muscles before every run (stand on my toes while lifting my heels, then stand on my heels and raise my toes), but for some reason it's coming back now. Any ideas?

Forgot to post my run yesterday: 4 miles with significant negative splits (including stopping in the first mile for shin pain). Also the first run of the season on a non-paved rail trail (yea!) and first stop at a vault toilet along the way (TMI?).

How was your run today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

,,,tramps//...........one of the GoodThings about ReHab is the feeling of Running for the First Time............enjoy every minute of it

....erika//...........the first time

Pickles and I went to the PeabodyHotel nobody would tell me WHY they had ducks

the next morning

I went down for breakfast

''where is the CoffeShop?'' I asked innocently

''SIR (read that Idiot), if you will please be seated, we will BRING you your coffee''

I then noticed

a dozen Suited Men sitting in the lobby, Reading WallStreetJournals and drinking coffee

when the waiter FINALLY

got around to bringing me the coffee he said '' that will be $20''

''For a Cup of Coffee??'' I sputtered

''SIR (read that Idiot), you may have all the coffee you want""

''In that case

keep it coming and bring me one of those WallStreetJournals, the one with the Comics Section''

....................I drank 24-cups of coffee that morning, and only got up because if I didn't pee I was gonna die......

I'm just not suited

for the HighLife I guess.

=============

...but I digress......

a lot

........................30mprnb

deo

..........................good running guys...............keep your ducks in a row........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Good MOrning!

Tramps, I love blue herons.  They're so lovely, and I've read they are so shy that other birds see them as sort of safety harbingers.  If a blue heron is standing in a pond, then it's probably safe there.  Glad you are running again.

roch, I get shin splints every now and again, but I always thought they were muscle related.  I don't know what to say about your issue.  SInce it seems to go away after you wait it out, it does seem some form of exercise or streching pre-run is in order.  Just what that would be, wish I could say.

Twocat, Holly is ever so much fun.  You will have a blast.  Jealous!

Supposed to do 8 to 11 today with about 2 or 3 at MP.  Well, I tried to do that, but when I turned around at mile 5, I was hit with a headwind I hadn't noticed and had to fight my way back.  So 8.25 miles for me at 9:08, and today was the first time in months sthat I welcomed the AC at Starbucks when I popped in on my way home.  H&H is on its way!  Feeling it yet, Blyy?  (How did you celebrate the anniversary?)

Have fun today!

grins,  <pshew, the Sox finally won one!>

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

...but I digress......

a lot

..........................good running guys...............keep your ducks in a row........

tw, you always make me smile.  Thanks!

And TomS - your pictures of your little grandson make me smile too - what a cutie!

Aamos - H&H already???  We still have a foot of snow on the ground.

It looks like May 4th will be a big day for RA gatherings - one at Avenue of the Giants, and one at the Flying Pig in Cincinnati!

My DD decided on U. of Washington for grad school - yay!  I'll get to see Enke and divechief more often!  Who else lives in the Seattle area?  Mariposai - how far away are you?

Oh, yeah, running - I  ran an easy-ish 3 miles around the block yesterday.  (at this altitude and with the steep hills, it's never actually "easy" to run here, even if I go slowly!)   Planning 10 or so today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Amy, yay you!!

Holly, I'm so relieved.   now behave yourself, 'k?

Doug, calf stretching, (you know, while you brush your teeth...)  & using the stick on my calves & my shins used to help a lot.  
              and my run was kind of short but thanks for asking : )   Nice to have negative splits & various firsts!

Erika are you still in Memphis?

hiya tb... er... tw.

TomS... what a cutie!!!    he is just a doll.   how often do you get to see him?

(just saw Carolyn's post.   hi Carolyn!   seems we agree re Tom's grandson & tw...)

still open for any suggestions on how best to function w/cracked ribs.   it's making me a tiny bit crazy...   I thought my ortho doc would address it but he didn't.    I am taking your suggestion Tet, that pain is not good ; ).    But when something hurts am I slowing the healing?   Any ideas?    (sorry to be a pest.   I've googled this extensively but haven't found what I'm looking for.)(would like to take a shower!)

King of PhotoShop

Aside from being an attractive woman, Holly is cool because she likes beer. Women who like beer are the absolute best.

Keep those pics comin' tselbs!

Thanks all. I think I could race again in two weeks, just before my surgery but then will have to shut it down for some unforeseen amount of time.

3.4 slow miles today with two walk breaks!  All packed and off to Atlanta in a few minutes.  Spareribs

Aside from being an attractive woman, Holly is cool because she likes beer. Women who like beer are the absolute best.

Well, that puts me right at the bottom, then.  

dg - I remember when my mom broke her ribs.  It was just a matter of time for healing.  And yes, it was very painful. . . . . Is this a new injury??

If I drank $20 worth of coffee, nobody would be able to be around me.  Unless it was one cup.  . . . and then it had better be the best frigging cup of coffee in the entire universe.  Wait - isn't there a coffee that's made from the beans that are dug out of some animal's poop? Ducks in a hotel + no coffee shop/we bring it to you + $20 . . . . just connecting the dots here.

I was supposed to get out for some speed work this morning, but my butt is really dragging.  Instead, I got about an hour of transcription done.  That didn't take anymore effort than putting on my PJs and listening to snippets of telephone and regular conversations because the cops forgot to turn off the recording system when they were done interviewing a guy.

Anyway  - I brought my stuff with thoughts of running after work, but we'll see how I'm feeling.  If I'm still dragging, I'm going home and doing nothing - except for a little bit of transcribing - and will try, try again in the a.m.

Okay - Outta here ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Leslie...  you're the best too.    And I could drink a beer for you.    Yes there is a plan  : )         Thanks for the info!    This is pretty new, I fell a little over a week ago.  I know it's really no big deal, but even just getting around (cuz of the crutches) irritates them, and so I'm not sure how much else to do.  if something yanks on them, do they take longer to heal?   Did your mom do her usual things, more or less?      Meant to say earlier,  you are so not a cry baby.

Also meant to say, very cool that Holly & Twocat get to meet.

coastwalker

Howdy!

Tramps, I'm glad yesterday's rain gave you cushy roads this morning. I also love seeing great blues in our marshes and shallow ponds. Here's a gorgeous shot of an eagle chasing a great blue away from it's nest (and eggs). I'd love to say I shot it, but I didn't - it's from someplace in the midwest. The photographer said the eagle was just warning the heron away. If the eagle wanted to attack, that heron would be down in a second.

Rochrunner, I don't know if it is the same or not, but beginning racewalkers get pretty nasty shin pain for a while. I got it to stop by doing an easy half-mile walk at the start of each workout.

TW, if that's the 'high life,' then I don't think I'm all that well suited for it either. Digress any time you want...

Nice run, Aamos, headwind and all. Sorry about the H&H coming your way - I'd rather the cold...

WC, I've always thought that none of your runs were 'easy,' precisely because of the altitude and hills. But you sure make them look easy!

Dg, I know someone who cracked her ribs last Fall, and she just had to be patient and wait for the healing process to work. For what it's worth, she is not very patient with those kinds of things, but she managed, and is back to her old self now.

Ribs, you know that ALL the women/goddesses here are incredibly cool (beer lovers or not)! Have a greta trip to Atlanta.

I can't imagine having to do all that transcription, Leslie. Hang in there, 'cause they'll stop talking sooner or later!

No workout for me because I had another v. early meeting today - we're making progress toward this year's Nov. half marathon. When I got to the office, there were four 75 lb. cartons of shelving kits that I had to take upstairs. I got it done, but my legs are toast. So that was my workout for today.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Tramps, I love blue herons.  They're so lovely, and I've read they are so shy that other birds see them as sort of safety harbingers.  If a blue heron is standing in a pond, then it's probably safe there.  Glad you are running again.

I love them too.  I'm lucky to live pretty close to a herony so we get treated to watching them fly overhead from our house and it's just a short hike to observe them (from a ways off) nesting, where they look something like this (not my pic):

That sound they make is positively prehistoric, like some pterodactyl or something.

And, yeah, we never notice the wind when it's at our back, do we?

Jay--we're getting more bald eagles lately, too.  But I've never seen them together like that!  Awesome photo.

TW--

Carolyn--how could she pick a grad school?  She just started at Cornell!

dg--ouch, ouch, ouch.  Hope those ribs heal fast.

Coffee break over.

Be safe. Be kind.

Beautiful bird pictures!  We have a large colony of the common white egret here on the bay.  At night, they roost on Woodley Island.  It's very cool-looking when they're all in the trees.

dg - I do remember my mom bandaging her ribs with an ace bandage, but other than that, it was being careful how she moved, etc.  I'm sure the fact you are having to use crutches isn't helping the situation.  Hopefully it's just a deep bruise and not cracked.  I think deep bruising in that area can be just as painful.  And I'll give you my beer . . . .so long as your not  navigating on crutches.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Walking at Lakes Park, about a mile or so from home Sunday, I saw a bald eagle in the trees.  The park has some conveniently installed mounted binoculars for free, with a bird poster nearby.  I saw the white head as I approached the viewing station and sure enough, there he was, surveying all he could see from his high perch.

Tammy, remember seeing the eagle at the Seattle marathon as we ran by?  That was one unruffled bird!  He was close and there were a lot of us at that point grouped together, no?

New word for me: herony!  Thanks, Tramps.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Maniac 505

My DD decided on U. of Washington for grad school - yay!  I'll get to see Enke and divechief more often!  Who else lives in the Seattle area?  Mariposai - how far away are you?

Yeah!!   and don't forget Tet!

Mari lives a long way from Seattle, but she always seems to make it seem like it is just over the hill.

TammyinGP

Tammy, remember seeing the eagle at the Seattle marathon as we ran by?  That was one unruffled bird!  He was close and there were a lot of us at that point grouped together, no?

yep, I remember that well!  and yes, there were a lot of runners all bunched together at that point too. and he was just watching everyone run under him. probably waiting for just the right target - someone whose hair looked too perfect to be running a marathon Smile

Tammy