Masters Running

Sat 08.13.16 (Read 34 times)

New skirt in town

Happy weekend, all!

In Wednesday's daily I failed to mention that at the end of my 9.3 miler, I tripped UP the steps to my front walkway. I spun out of control across my front lawn, arms pinwheeling. It felt just like those crazy falls that stunt woman pretends to do in front of strangers. Here's the video in case you missed it: https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/2336637729692606/

(My fall most resembled the one on roller skates)

The combination of post run fatigue and awkward tumble really wrenched my left glute mediums and both high hamstrings! Ughh...I took the next 2 days off to recover (and also because of the wretched heat and humidity) and tried the same run today. 9.3 miles sans tumble! Soooper slow-mo because I'm still crazy sore. Now we're back in the car, heading north for 6 days in Acadia. I have a 20-miler mapped out on the park carriage roads, but I'll have to see if I've recovered enough to tackle it.

Jlynne, what a tough thing to be dealing with. It sounds as if DS is making some steps in the right direction, but it still must be sad and exhausting to deal with.

Deez, I'm so sorry for your loss. Seriously...that's enough stuff for you to have to deal with. Enough already!

Tom's response to such an odd request had me chuckling!

{{{Erika's foot}}}

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

coastwalker

Howdy, everyone.

I'm sorry to hear about your fall, Robin. I hope you are healed enough to enjoy your run in Acadia (what a beautiful place to run!), and I know you'll be smart enough to back off if it isn't working for you. Have a great time in Acadia, 20-miler or not.

I'm sorry about the challenges Jlynne is having with DS2 and Mike with Eric. I hope DS2 takes real advantage of his fresh start, and that Eric will come to the realization that the way he is living isn't working. Meanwhile, keep helping your kids as best you can, as I know you've been doing all along. Isn't it interesting to learn how many people have hoarders or people with some hoarding issues in their families, once the discussion got started?

Did anyone else watch Ledecky's win in the 800 Free last night? She was ahead the entire race, beat other world-class swimmer by over 11 seconds (which was near half a pool length), and beat her own world record by about 2 seconds. It was a jaw-dropping performance. How she generates so much more speed than anyone else in the pool is beyond me.

It was cooler (67F) and a bit drier this morning, with a pretty significant wind from the NE. I went 8.8 RW miles -  the first half with the wind, and the second half back into it. Coming back into the wind felt good, but was a lot tougher - I had to turn my cap around or else I'm sure it would have blown off and far down the road. I have racewalking training tomorrow morning, and it promises to be hotter and muggier, so it'll be a bit of a challenge, but it is August, after all.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I tried not laughing as I watched those poor women falling...but I did...I laughed hard, actually...sorry...

Yeah--I read that post from tw at the coaches' meeting, last night, and they were are rolling...

Well...I went for my 2 miler, this morning.  Things went pretty well...so I did 3!  My longest run in over a month--woo hoo!  And that really is not a sarcastic "woo hoo".

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

Oh--hi, Jay.  Yes--Ledecky is amazing!

mari, belated happy anniversary.  deez, my condolences on the passing of your tri friend.  Mike and jlynne, thinking of you dealing with your respective sons.  Mike, sorry to hear about your wife's dad.  My thoughts are with the family.

Nice long runs for Twoat and wild.

I don't know if the head and humidity has anything to do with it, buy I have recently had no enthusiasm for running or other exercise.  I ran 2 miles on Mon and 4 on Tues, I've gone for a couple walks, and done nothing a couple days.  I get up and can't talk myself into running or serious walking.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

[[deez]]

[[[jylnne]]

[[[mike]]]

[[[rt ]]]

============

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris,pw

other than that, just waiting for the Storm to Hit.....

.............good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Greetings. Cooler today, but still humid.  Back in NH for the weekend. I managed to run about 9 miles on the rail trail.  Knee held up mostly.  We shall see what tomorrow brings.  I also swam this afternoon, about 1500 yards. Hugs and good thoughts to Lynne, Mike, Deez, and any others having challenges with kids. It is not easy. Those parenting books left a lot out I find!  We have certainly had our challenges with our DD.  She did graduate from college, a good school in a serious major, so I am hopeful she will get there. My DH is fretting that she does not yet have a career plan, but it's just three months since graduation.  I am not declaring crisis just yet. She is currently in B.C. climbing in the Bugaboos.  I just want to see her come back in one piece. She worked as an Outward Bound instructor in Colorado this summer.

Happy weekend!

5.75 in the rain to finish up my 30 mile week  nice race pace miles for the last 4 so not to bad for me. I was hoping for more of a 8 minute mile pace but it looks like I may have to be happy with 8.5 instead. I still have two weeks and after my mini taper maybe on fresh legs I can reek out some extra umph!

My DW gave me the ultimate complement today. I usually never run shirtless but I have been getting nipple bleeding lately from my shirt being soaked in sweat after the first mile. So today I went out and after about a mile it rained and I was already soaked from the humidity so I took off my shirts to protect the already sore nips. Well as I run by the house on my way home my wife said she looked out and thought there goes a good looking runner about our age........then she realized it was me ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I guess after 36 years I can still turn her head.

Lucky Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

I just typed a long post and lost it.  Drat.  Suffice to say, 3 miles for me today and it is still not good.  Pes Anserine Bursitis seems to pinpoint the pain when you google it.  This is the longest I have been on the DL since I began running 17 years ago.  I cannot do lower body weights because that seems as if it would aggravate the problem.  So, I am turning into a large blob.

Working on the walking plan for Portland.

Can anyone find where it says how long the Portland course stays open?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

So, I am turning into a large blob.

Sorry, I've been watching your push-up challenge on FB. You are NOT turning into a large blob! Like I said, those push-ups are looking so easy for you I don't think you're doing enough

Lots of great runs in H&H today. Do one for me, because I hate it! I was almost thankful that it was raining at 5:30 this morning so I could go to the Y.  Even the treadmill was a welcome relief today.  Speaking of warm, muggy weather, you'll get your mojo back Tselbs. It's not hard to lose it when you're folks like us from Michigan and Wisconsin and not used to it.

Hope you had a good turnout for your coach's meeting Mike. It's getting close to back to school time.

I went to see Pete's Dragon with DS#1 and Will, Ben and Nicholas. Cheesy but cute.  Unfortunately, Nicholas' (3) attention span was gone about halfway through the movie. We made 4 - count 'em 4 - trips to the bathroom. He didn't actually "go" for any of them. Can someone please tell me how the movie ended?!

Excited to watch Michael Phelps on his final night....

Mike - Just from what I've been able to glean from your posts about Ryan, I think he'll love Portland.  It has a sound running community, and a really great trail running community, if that interests him at all.  Forest Park is a running mecca.

Enke - If you can somehow swing it, you might consider getting your DD into counseling.  Hoarding is definitely a mental disorder, and I firmly believe the only way to overcome it is through therapy.  I think it would have really helped my dad if he'd been wiling to go.

Tom - I, too, got a chuckle over your post about the burial plot.  Too funny!

Carolyn - Kevin, over on the Predawn Forum, has been doing the burro races for the first time this year.  He's been posting race reports and reports about his training.  I'm in love with his donk, Mordecai aka Mordy. 

10 miles at the McKay this morning with a couple of miles of climbing.  By the end, my legs were telling me that I haven't been doing much running in the last 3 week.   Then it was 4.5 hrs at work, and it feels like I didn't make a dent.  My boss was in the office when I left, and I got to give a bit of my opinion of how I think things are going.  You might remember that my office is working with a LOT of people who are working to come into compliance with the new medical marijuana regulations in our county and in two years, the state.  The crush of clients has been overwhelming, and the associate attorney I'm working with is so stressed, it's ridiculous.  He even voiced awhile back that he feels like if he screws up, he'll lose his job, which isn't true, but I told my boss about Jeff's concerns.  I also sort of voice my opinion that I thought this whole thing was being looked at as a bit of a cash cow.  August 23 is the last date for certain registration forms to be turned in to the county, and for the last 3 weeks, we added to more attorneys to seeing people to get the CCARs done, along with Jeff seeing 3-4 clients almost daily.  It's ridiculous, because once the 23rd comes and goes, there are still a TON of applications to pull together and get turned in.  I could go on and on, but it won't help.  I told The Hub I'll probably be working weekends until the end of the year, the deadline for getting applications turned in. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya.....so yesterday was Stumpy's bday.  I'm still older than him so I get to out him.  Hope you're making it a bday weekend, li'l brother (I so love calling tall people diminutive nicknames.)

Ran 8 miles today, part of which was a 5K and the first time I've run fast in about 3 weeks.  I'm tired!

Seriously.   Keeping up with y'all but that's all I got.  Bridge at sunrise tomorrow, after all.

Are the Ides of August a good thing?

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I am going to have to just pop in briefly. I ran today's 6.76 mile race. The heat index was so high the neighboring town canceled their race. The RD for my town said this was about as close as he has ever come to doing so. Well there is one thing I know, the heat and humidity generally impact me less than everyone else. Translation, today was my best placement in the series this year. I  ended up 26 OA and 4th in my AG. You take what you can get.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

I am so sorry to read this. No worries, Taperboy will walk it with you.

Erika, take care of the foot. Butterfly hugs to you sistahh,

Hallar, so glad to see  you back here.

Robin, I hope you can run your 20 miler, but be careful. Enjoy your vacation time.

WAY to go Twocat, 4th in your AG. That is huge!!!

Lamerunner, it is great to see your postings.

MikeE, take the time to heal. The goal is the long term goals.

11 trail miles for me today. Gorgeous view of the North Cascade Mts.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Portland Marathon cut-off.
                              Holly - the reason there’s no cutoff for the Portland Marathon is because there is no cutoff off for the Portland Marathon.  Roadways open up to traffic after seven-or-eight hours and runners/walkers are shunted to sidewalks and, though the celebratory finish line is closed down too, a secondary finish crew sticks around with finisher medals, etc. until the LAST runnner/walker finishes and is given credit for their respective 26/2 miles, often taking more than 12-hours.  With staying open 24 or more hours if anyone was still out there, there's no such thing as being too slow and embarrassing is not in the Portland lexicon. You'd beat hundreds of runners even if you walk on your hands

The Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Clubbers I joined at Portland last year

choose their annual overseas marathons on the basis of no cutoff times at all.

Slowest was almost nine hours at Portland.   .

Hoarding
                              Though sure I don’t believe in saving all receipts, I probably have a few that I wouldn’t mind getting thrown away. I keep thinking I should so my kids don’t get stuck with doing it but, as long as there’s room in the garage for things that might save having to buy them all over again in the future, why would anyone throw anything away they have room for?  Well, maybe running shirts that go back to 1977.  However, as the future becomes shorter and shorter, I’m starting to get the idea, . . . I think.
                              Kids
                              Stick with your kids through all the trouble they’re going through in their twenties and hope they become angels in their forties (DS) instead of being angels in their twenties and making up for it in their forties (DD)/ 
                              Olympics
                              swimmers winning by 0.01 seconds or half a pool length,
                              rowers winning by 0.001 seconds, . . . and the runners
                              are still mostly waiting to get started.

ps - I could see robin's DS's RW video but can't get her fall

will have to try at the library on Monday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)