Masters Running

Is It OK? (Read 287 times)

huskydon

Hello all,

Is it ok if I sprint  for the last 150 yds of my easy runs?   I was hoping to build up some speed for finishing races. 

Each week, I have two easy runs, each with a rest day before and after. 

The easy run is about 6 mi at 9 min/ mile.  The sprint is about 6:45 pace. 

Thanks for your consideration!

huskydon

HuskyDon (who does not appear "husky" by the way),

That should be fine.  But there is another approach that would serve the same purpose - striders.  What you might think about doing is running 4 or 5 striders of 150 yards or so with 150 yards between them at regualr easy pace - maybe in the last mile before your cool down.  Accelerate smoothly, cruise at a good, strong clip (but not a full-on sprint), then deccelerate smoothly.  These can be done in virtually any type of run, even in Recovery runs.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

#artbydmcbride

Do you finish running uphill?  Do you wear an ipod?  We need more details!   Big grin

Runners run

Tramps

It seems to me the purpose of this is as much psychological as it is physiological.  I like the idea of finishing strong to train your brain to work hard at the end when you're tired.  (I'm not sure striders really do that.)  However, I'd make sure I still got a cool-down of some sort.  For me, cooling down with either a slow jog or even a walk helps me transition out of my running effort.  That way I'm not left standing there with my HR still racing needlessly and blood pooling in my legs.

Experiment of one, of course.

Good luck.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Remember the long article on marathoner's dying? (Gosh I hope someone does, 'cause I can't remember where it was published!)  I remember one theory floated in there was that people who didn't practice pushing it at the end but did so in racing might be putting themselves at more risk of a "fatal event."

So, your thinking is backed up by at least one other person who's considered the situation.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

huskydon

Good thoughts already, striders, cool-downs, thanks.

The last 150 yds occur as I turn into my street, it is dead flat, and if I sprint, I can impress all of my neighbors (or scare them dreadfully).  I have to admit to collapsing in my front lawn afterwards a couple times

No IPod for me, I have enough close calls as it is. 

Thanks again.

rlemert

This may help you a little psychologically, but I'm not sure it's going to have any great physiological impact. All you're doing is one 'sprint' twice a week - and those on days where you should still be fairly fresh from your main workout.

Personally, I like to put some 'fast-finish' long runs in my training schedule to get my body used to 'pushing it' at the end of a race. To give an example, I might put in eight miles at my regular long-run pace, then gradually accelerate through the last two miles so that I finish at something around my 5k race pace.

In addition, a set of four to eight striders after one of your easy runs will help you develop your "high speed" racing form without adding too much extra stress to your light workouts.

King of PhotoShop

My thinking is closest to what Tramps said.  I don't like an all-out sprint at the end of a daily run because of the risk of muscle tightness and soreness, so you should cool down properly if you keep doing this, and by that I don't mean walking around.  A half mile jog ought to do it.

But the main point is that there are two different purposes for all-out sprints, and striders, which others have explained.  When you run all-out, think of these two benefits:  psychological  (see my post today on the daily), and form, leg turnover and mechanics.  When you do striders, what you are really trying to accomplish is achieving an elevated HR throughout a regular easy run, which has a great training benefit and builds stamina.

Breger, I believe Husky Don went to school as a Husky, thus the name.  Spareribs

rlemert

When you do striders, what you are really trying to accomplish is achieving an elevated HR throughout a regular easy run, which has a great training benefit and builds stamina.

My understanding is that "striders" can occur both during and after your regular run. My recent cyber-coach described them this way: "Striders during the run are for you heart; striders after the run are for your form." Ribs is describing the former, while I'm suggesting the latter.