Masters Running

Tuesday, 7.12.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, good luck with the doc today - I hope she can help you figure out what ails you.

Leslie, it is one thing to have power, and it is another thing to use it well. I love how you took charge yesterday and told everyone what was and was not going to happen!

Stumpy, those shutters are going to be gorgeous when finished! you did a great job with the loon cutouts. How are you going to finish them? Paint? Stain? The wood looks nice and clear, and well-stained shutters would look great at your camp.

We went with the majority vote from here yesterday, and I put a light mustard (Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce from TJ's) on the salmon last night. I grilled it on planks on a very hot grill and the glaze got slightly crispy and the salmon was nice and moist. Tet, we've served salmon with a corn salsa many times, and it's a great combination.

As we were standing in the kitchen with drinks and appies last night, a neighbor, a charming old coot, came over in his bicycle gear to ask a question. He came to the back door, we told him to come in, and without any preamble, he started asking what to do about bats in his attic. It was an amusing conversation (sounds more like field mice than bats) and our guests must have been wondering what the heck goes on around here?

7.6 RW fartlek miles this morning in nice 59F temps. I was unhappy with my 1st mile pace, so picked it up for #2, and then alternated easy and hard miles from there. I was too tired to go hard the last segment, which is why I pushed it harder than any of the previous miles. Good workout.

OK - we're taking our guests to our favorite dive for breakfast before they continue on their journey, so I have to get going.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay and all that follow.

No, tradition says they will be painted the same as before.  Also, we're only doing about half of the total shutters, so we sort of have to match anyway.  The fun part of assembly will commence this weekend.

3.1 miles on the flats around the lake.  Did see 8's on the average for a while, but ended up at 9:02.  Gorgeous morning--high 50's and fairly dry.  I'd take that for the rest of the summer.

Nice snow snake, Steve.  Although I did like the blue racer, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning, masters!

Nice shutters, Kevin.  Post a pic when they're done!  I love your little cabin on the island.

Yesterday was a rest day, and today I'll just do a short run this afternoon.  Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike tapering?  And what's the point, anyway - look how Mike E ran 5 fast marathons in 5 days - maybe he tapered for the first one, but not the other 4!     Still, I'm a bit nervous about my 50 miler on Saturday, so I'm resting up.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

For those of you that frequently get cramps during a race here is an interesting article (behind a paywall I fear) about HotShots which claims to help prevent them http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-way-to-prevent-muscle-cramps-1468256588.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi Masters of the Run,

I have been reading with interest and joy about your daily and weekend running adventures!  As for my fellow DL members, I wish you good health and quick exits from the DL.

Last Tuesday, Dr. 10th Grader, met with Ralph and me to discuss the results of the magnetic resonance arthrogram (MRA). He told us that I have an anterior labral tear (we knew this because we had the results prior to the appointment) and that he could fix it with arthroscopic surgery.  He told us that we had tried conservative treatment (rest, physical therapy, NSAIDs) without success and that surgically repairing the labral tear would more than likely get me back to running albeit no time soon.

I have done my due diligence regarding this type of injury. Most of the literature agrees that labral tissue does not heal on its own. Although some patients have chosen to forego surgery and have improved their condition, I have concluded that surgery is the best way for me to go.

To that end, my arthroscopic hip surgery is scheduled for this Friday, 15 July. I have to go to Hampton for the procedure because that is where Sentara does most of its orthopedics. So poor rocket scientist has to take the day off of work to take me all the way down to Hampton!  He doesn't even get out of his normal commute!  (NASA is about a mile from the Careplex).

SO!  What have I been doing since last Tuesday!?!?

Since Dr. 10th Grader told me he wants me in PT immediately after surgery (he said I could ride the stationary bike in the recovery room if they had one)... I have been going to the rec. center and riding the stationary bike!

Wednesday, 06 July: 15.8 miles (60 minutes)

Thursday, 07 July: 16.4 miles (60 minutes)

Friday, 08 July: 17.5 miles (60 minutes)

Saturday, 09 July:  8-10 miles on the road (not stationary bike)

Sunday, 10 July: 16.8 miles (60 minutes)

Monday, 11 July:  17.3 miles (60 minutes)

Now my calf muscles keep doing that nervy pops thing and so I believe I need a rest day today. So I am not going to the rec. center.

Please enjoy your running extra special whilst I and the rest of the DL are waiting to return to the joy of the run!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five mostly walk-a-mute miles.
              However, no way was I gunna run a seventh day in a row for the first time since I did it once in Tokyo in 1985 just to say I ran seven days in a row but, with rain predicted for the afternoon plus so many RA’ers who’d like to be running but can’t, why not?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Glad you did it, Tet!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Food first: I'd go for mustard/maple syrup.  (Love the shutters, stumps.)

SO wonderful to spend time with Marj and Henry Saturday.  They are the BEST!  (And food again, very good pasta dinner, believe it or not.  Several kinds of pasta, including a gluten free option [Vermont], caprise and Caesar salads, homemade rolls and cookies.)

M & H drove to Waitsfield from Stowe, and in the rain too.  And during a Sox game, even.  I mean, how incredible!

Leslie, I love that vignette.  Way to tell 'em.

Get well, y'all.  Here's my puzzling experience.  I ran a 5K July 4 and was fine.  Had been feeling a little calf strain, but could run, so I just cut down on mileage.  Then on July 5, I could feel it a little more when I ran (figured it was the 5K--I only did 7.5 total on the 4th) so I walked.  About 3 miles out, I felt something sort of move in my calf, then it hurt more just to walk, then it got a little better (I had to keep going to get home and to work)--no running, just walking.  SO all week, NO RUNNING.  Just walking, could feel a little something in the calf, so I rolled it, it felt as if it was improving.

Sunday, run first mile of the marathon, could feel calf.  So I just started walking, figuring I'd maybe walk a half.  Didn't want to tear anything.  Then I met up with Larry Macon, and a couple more folks after that, so figured I'd walk the whole with them.  Around mile 14, one of our group wanted to jog down the hills as she was slower going up, so I tried that with her.  It actually felt ok, doing that.  So I did that, then just kept on jogging, gradually increasing my pace.  No ache, pain, nothing.  I finished running at a fairly decent clip, I think it was a 8:09 mile.  Ran a couple Monday am and almost 6 this am, and calf is AOK.

Another runner suggested that with all the hills, I probably stretched out whatever the problem was.

So here's my question:  How can you tell, without getting MRIs everytime you have an ache or issue, when something is a partial tear, when you need to take it easy, and when something is a knot that just needs to be worked out and stretched, rolled, etc?

Good luck Barb!  Are you able to read when you're on the bike?

Speaking of bike, DH rode 50 miles on Saturday and 30 on Sunday.  He's enjoying his bike.  We'll see how that translates for him in September, as he's signed up for a half marathon then.

My colleague in the next cube continues to be most gracious as people are increasing their visits to her to proffer unsolicited advice and tales of child birth.  If you're reading this, deez, I did tell her about your ER experience when you needed stiches after a fall and the ER folks suggested you get it done on your floor since they were busy.  Love that story.

*************** Tonight!

grins,

A

PS: tet, another runner at the place I stayed it is the principal at Nathan Hale School in Seattle.  She was telling me about a gentleman from Japan she's met who has the running goal of running 1,000 DIFFERENT marathons.  Any chance you know him, or of him??

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck with surgery buehrle.  How do you ride a stationary bike for an hour?  A treadmill is bad enough--but a stationary bike drives me nuts after about 5 minutes.

Mike E

MM #5615

Amy--when you figure out the answer to your question -- PLEASE tell me!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Amy, I think you knew the answer all along...

If it doesn't get better, you need to have it checked out.  Here is my saga:  Back in September, 2012, I woke up one morning and readied myself for the 0530 running group.  When I arrived at the rec. center, I could not lift my right leg in order to do my leg swing ritual. I placed my hands on the trunk of my car as per usual in preparation for the leg swings and  there was just no movement, no pain, but, mechanically, I could not lift my right leg for the swings.

I told my friends that I could not swing my leg but I could bear weight and even run. Odd.

Fast forward to 2014. I occassionally had moments when my right leg would give out and I would catch myself with my other body parts and continue on normally.

Fast forward to 2015. Had my best running year EVER.  Although, began noticing pain in my feet during and after long runs. Then after any runs. But.

I told myself, "I am just going to keep running until I cannot run. And then I will get things checked out."

December, 2015. Ran the 3 Bridges Marathon in Little Rock. Had a really good race until the last 10K. Then both feet felt like they were crumbling apart in my shoes. The bones felt like they were breaking. But.

I had to finish the race. And I did. And I got second in my age group and my 3rd fastest marathon. (Out of 23 completed)

2016. The downhill part of the good running year.  Ran the Colonial Half marathon. Felt like carp.

Feet were hurting but there were more good runs than bad. In April, I had the three weekends in a row packed with fun activities.

02 April: Nephew's wedding. Danced the night away. Wore heels to the wedding (not the reception)... I fear this was a big mistake.

10 April: Reston Runners Marathon Relay: Ran my leg as fast as I could and paid for it with painful feet and right hip pain.

16 April: Walked challenging section of the Appalachian Trail in Western Virginia. 20 miles on Saturday (pack weight of 22-25 pounds)

17 April: Continued the AT for another 10K and then came home.

I finally sought help for my pains. Went to physical therapy for a couple months with no improvement. And FINALLY went to orthopedic sports medicine doctors and got diagnostics (MRI and MRA).  And the diagnosis. And the surgery to be on Friday.

SO.  When should I have gone to the doctor?  I am thinking exactly when I did go!  I got 4 years of running before I could run no more.

Your mileage may vary.

MikeE and Amy: I keep my sanity on the stationary bike by going insane with my music. I have AmazonPrime music and I play ridiculous stations and I dance to the music with my arms while I am riding. I don't sing outloud but I do lip sync the words and I believe the rest of the rec center patrons are entertained. (Let's give them something to talk about)

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

spacityrunner

RCG you are just the best.  So proud to call you my friend.

Trails Rock!

Ok this injury thing has got to go. I think we have more on the DL than training right now.

i did 3.3 tonight with 8 hill repeats at the end. The hill I am using is the sledding hill at the park nearby. I'm not sure of the incline but it's steep enough and I'm not sure of the length but is long enough so 8 up fast and 8 recovery down in 10 minutes and just over a mile so not bad for my first hill work this cycle. Beautiful sunny and a comfortable 89 degrees.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

No run today but the dialog about running injuries has been interesting.

Running injuries are like the biggest mysteries in the world.  Sometimes you can still run and they go away on their own.  Sometimes you can't.  And you can't ever seem to figure out what to do unless you are in severe pain and it is obvious.

So my general impression is "when in doubt, run". Seriously, they often don't seem to get worse and often seem to just go away on their own timeline, regardless of what you do.

Wish me luck....job interview tomorrow.  Glad things are finally rolling, although it has only been 12 days of job hunting.  I'm impatient.

Huckleberry cobbler tonight.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

spacityrunner

Enke...g/l on your job interview.  12 days is a short vacation.  :-)

Trails Rock!