Masters Running

61416, so it must be Tuesday (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Very interesting posts yesterday from assorted runs to Holly's DD's summer job, Twocats real travels, bunny and white rabbit (channeling Grace Slick and the Airplane) sightings, and RCG's real and dream travels.

8.25 RW miles this morning in 55 windy degrees under cloudy but clearing and brightening skies. I started easy and kept working a little harder each mile as I went along till I was huffing and puffing by the time I got back home. My splits went from 11:44 to 10:49. It felt pretty good, but I've got a little hip thing coming back, which means I have to get out my stretch bands for a little home PT tonight.

We have a condo association meeting tonight for our office complex. There are some significant issues and there may be fireworks. Should be interesting...

Have a greta palindromic Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Morning Jay and all who follow -

2 fewer miles and slower pace then our lead off racewalker, but felt good in IRC.

Twocat - made the zaatar cole slaw recipe and something was amiss as it was not a winner, not sure what happened.

marj

TammyinGP

cool dream post, RCG. Thanks for sharing that. I'm not quite sure what I believe in the afterworld but I sure hope it's like your dream.  I remember as a kid having a repetitive and very real, vivid dream like that - well, not LIKE that - because my dream was getting stuck in our family VW bug with a bullfrog whose neck bulged out so big it would practically suffocate me in the car.  I think your vivid, real dream better. 

Liz flies in this afternoon - well, we hope this afternoon. flight delays/cancellations, rebooking with another airline, different connection city etc. has me guessing just where exactly she'll be and what time. 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How come 51o suddenly seems such a chilly cyclemute?
          Maybe ‘cause it’s 30-40-degrees colder the 80-90
          we’ve been having recently.
          ps rosie - don’t wake me up if I have one like that.
          pps rosie - I'll be at the Frank Maier at the end of July

but if RS’s 49th is in the 49th state, try for Equinox,

if possible.  I can still visualize it every step

of the way as if it happened yesterday

instead of a quarter-century ago.

ps tammy - what wrong with the airlines down there.

I didn't even know they had any.  Flying in from where?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

We have an International Airport Tet. Medford is big time you know!  Liz was flying thru Seattle, but now rebooked on a different airline and coming through Portland to Medford.

Tammy

tet, neat race with your mentor.  Holly, will your daughter be able to caddy on a regular basis?  I did some of that one summer and generally liked it.  Where I caddied was not as ritzy and I sure didn't get $40 for a round.  Of course, there has been some (a whole bunch) inflation since the summer of 1959.  Jay, nice racewalking this morning.  Your slowest mile was better than my average this morning on my run.  Of course, it's normal for you to walk faster than I run.

Nice long runs for Aamos, enke, and evan.

This morning, it was in the high 40s and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:45 pace.

Later this morning, we picked up a new travel trailer.  It may be one of the more foolish things we've done since we've normally only taken out the  pop up campers we've had in the past a few days a year.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

So I have to make this quick because I am buried at work, I'm leaving Thurs for some sort of relay somewhere in Oregon, and I apologize but I don't have time to go back and look at everyone's posts over the last few days and respond.

BUT - I can't talk to anyone here at work and I just had to share with you all . . . .

Remember when you guys talked to me about asking for a raise considering all the extra work I've taken on?  I didn't ask because we always get a raise at the end of year and I figured it anything, it would be addressed then.  But guess what?  My boss just called me into his office and told me the partners authorized a 3% raise for me, which does not negate the annual raise we usually get at the end of the year.  I am floored . . . but it sure is nice to know that your hard work IS being seen, IS appreciated, and IS recognized.  *sniff*

Okay - carry on . . . . 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

So I have to make this quick because I am buried at work, I'm leaving Thurs for some sort of relay somewhere in Oregon, and I apologize but I don't have time to go back and look at everyone's posts over the last few days and respond.

BUT - I can't talk to anyone here at work and I just had to share with you all . . . .

Remember when you guys talked to me about asking for a raise considering all the extra work I've taken on?  I didn't ask because we always get a raise at the end of year and I figured it anything, it would be addressed then.  But guess what?  My boss just called me into his office and told me the partners authorized a 3% raise for me, which does not negate the annual raise we usually get at the end of the year.  I am floored . . . but it sure is nice to know that your hard work IS being seen, IS appreciated, and IS recognized.  *sniff*

Okay - carry on . . . . 

yay Leslie!! Congrats! More reason to celebrate this weekend!

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK, carrying on.

Very nice, Leslie!  As my FIL is fond of saying--beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.   It is nice to know that someone is paying attention.

RCG--very vivid.  Hope that means you have something to look forward to when the world does end. << This is me refraining from any political statement related to that  >>.  I very rarely remember my dreams.

Hope Liz makes it out west at some point.  Welcome to modern air travel.

A whopping 1.5 miles on the treadmill at the hotel this morning.  Enough to work up a little sweat.  There was a guy that I've seen a couple of times before on the elliptical going at pretty much a full sprint without using the handles.  I could see myself doing about three strides like that before I maimed myself.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Woo hoo on the raise, Leslie!  I hope you have good weather for the Relay.  Thanks for sharing your dream with us Rosie.  I know that there is a better place and am glad that I know where I'll spend eternity.  Another meeting, Jay! Do you ever tally them up?

Last night I ventured out for a run around the lake, 5 miles or so but it was very slow.  I think a combination of not running, foot pain and not enough fuel in me had me dragging, but I finished. After a quick supper and a shower I went to a "Workout and Wine Down" event at the Yoga studio.  I skipped the barre class but enjoyed the wellness talk on the "10 Keys to Healthy Eating". Since I've been doing the Whole30 for 3 weeks now, it was a lot of the same ideas,,, eating whole foods, etc. I met some fun people of all ages and enjoyed myself.  I really needed some time to myself.

I just got back from a bike ride to survey the storm damage around town.  Around two this afternoon the tornado sirens sounded a warning alarm. We all had to go to the shelter area in our building for 45 minutes or so. There were severe winds, a boat lift tipped over, docks gone, trees uprooted, roofs damaged but all of our properties are intact, whew! Our neighbors lost a big tree limb but fortunately didn't hit their house.

For those of you that know of my situation with our 37 yo DD living with us, things are getting somewhat better.  We have had a couple of talks with her about:

1. Seeing a medical doctor for an evaluation (we are pretty sure she suffers from depression)

2. Not watching tv at all until her room gets cleaned. (it was actually starting to smell outside the door)

MrStarr and I are going to see a family counselor tomorrow morning.  Hopefully we will get some help as how to approach her employment issue and how to get her to move forward. She is a RN but I am not sure she could physically do the work right now.  I have no idea how to write a resume' when you were fired from your last job. I hope that the job service office can help her with that. She doesn't know if she wants to work in nursing anymore at all or not. She still owns a house here that she's rented out for the last 5 years. We have evicted the tenants but last week the police were there and arrested the boyfriend of the renter. She is supposed to be out tomorrow but I know that the tossed the place looking for evidence. Hopefully there is no major damage. The house is for sale and just tonight the realtor called her with a low-ball offer but we think she should take it anyway since she has no income anymore after the renter leaves.

That's about it for now, thanks for letting me vent.  I know we'll get through this but it seems like we've so many setbacks recently it is taking a toll. MrStarr actually went to his doctor yesterday and got a prescription for an antidepressant.  Sure hope that helps his mood. I am thankful for my job to get me out of the house!  I am so looking forward to vacation in 11 days!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

The weather in the PNW has been very cool lately, and I am so grateful!  I was terrified of the thought of running in S. Oregon in 100 F temps, but looks like things will be unseasonably cool.  I don't care if it goes down to 42F overnight!  I am planning on bringing my tent now, and a pretty warm sleeping bag, so that I can get that all important 2 hours of Zzzz between legs 2 and 3.  I won't get nauseous from the heat at least and I am so happy about that!  Maybe I will even get a nap between legs 1 and 2!

I swear though, this is my last relay....slap me if I sign up for another.  My body is just getting too old for this silliness!

I ran a very slow and easy 4 miles this am, something like a 12 min pace, just to work the lungs a bit but save the legs.   Ready for the Rogue!

Leslie, congrats on your raise!

In random news, my son did an assignment for his world history class.  He researched his great grandfather who fought in WWI for the Canadian Expedition.  There were his papers of enlistment on a Canadian archive site.  It was interesting to read and I will print them and save somewhere.  He fought at Ypres and was in a hospital with head injuries for a year recovering, until he returned to Canada.  I told my son, if he had died in that battle, you wouldn't exist.  My son didn't quite get what I meant at first.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I remember as a kid having a repetitive and very real, vivid dream like that - well, not LIKE that - because my dream was getting stuck in our family VW bug with a bullfrog whose neck bulged out so big it would practically suffocate me in the car.

This is hilarious, although it was probably scary at the time.  Anyone else remember some recurring scary dreams

TomSelbs - at your age it is okay to do something silly now and then.  Enjoy!

Leslie - Yay!

Enke - slapping hand is at the ready...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you that know of my situation with our 37 yo DD living with us, things are getting somewhat better.  We have had a couple of talks with her about:

2. Not watching tv at all until her room gets cleaned. (it was actually starting to smell outside the door)

Oh dear!  Starr, I have these talks with my 13yo - I never thought of having to have those talks with a 37yo DD.  I sure hope family counseling brings you and Mr. Starr some peace and helpful ideas.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."