Masters Running

Thursday, 2.9.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    Jlynne (1 hr. on the elliptical, 10 min. on the rower, 20 min. on weights & core)
    Lamerunner (Ice chopping then about 1,350m in the pool [not, that wasn’t where the ice was])
    Tramps (sweaty 6 miles)
    Tammy (leading the C25K group after work)
    Rochrunner (2 mi. on a TM - no weather report)
    Holly (5 mi. on the TM)
    Tet (5 mi. walking ‘mutes)
    Mike (9 "easy in name only" bar-grabbing miles on the TM)

Twocat (cooking up a storm, and running 12, with 5 in the dark in full Rosie Ruiz Fan Club nighttime gear)

Evanflein (.3 miles before her heel told her it was a bad idea)

C-R (6 on a Club run in 2" of slippery wet snow, followed by a pub social hour)

Sorry about the continuing heel problem, Jlynne

Tough ‘mute for a lot of folks in the Boston region, Stumpy. Good call to head back home.

Interesting theory about the decreasing reliability of weather forecasts, Tramps. We’ve definitely seen weather extremes become less extreme.

Sorry about the sore back from shoveling, Enke. I hope the dinner out with MBE (Happy Birthday!) helps.

Congrats on DH’s excellent biopsy results, Tammy.

I’m glad you’re not, not, not complaining, Leslie, and that someone finally showed up with coffee.

Good luck with the blood test, Dave. Steady as it goes…

Nice job of densifying the snowmen, Tet.

Steve, thanks for all the tips for my nuts! You sure are a huge asset to the company you work for. Now, if you'd only go to those safety meetings (and get capes all around)!

Well, I finally finished my nut job! It took some hard work with a new blade on a small vibrating saw, plus some hacksawing and some colorful language. But now I have new skids on both sides of the snowblower, and it was smooth as silk going up the driveway when I was done. There - that's done. I got it done just in time, since the forecasters are trying to scare us by saying we’re getting 12-18" of fresh snow today. So DW and I are closing the office for the day and going out for breakfast before the serious flakes fall.

6 miles this morning in 31F temps and NE winds at about 18 MPH. According to the forecasts, those are the high temp and low wind speed for the day. I met some runners out on the roads who asked if I was getting it done before the snow starts: "You bet'cha!" On the way out, I saw two beady little eyes watching me from the side of the road. On the way back, those eyes (on a curious cat) were in the road, and kept an eye on me but gave me a wide berth as I went by. Luckily (for both of us), there was almost no vehicular traffic.

Have a greta (snow or no) Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Jay and all to follow.

I still vote for C-4 on the frozen nut. Perhaps that's why DW worries about my home improvement projects. Oh well.

Good workout in those conditions Jay.

I got a quick 2 recovery miles on the treadmill. Lots of calls and trip to Ohio today so who knows when I might get a chance.

Way to get people moving Captain Tammy

Nice recipes TC and I make "mashed potato" out of cauliflower and the water is an issue. I like your idea of baking first. Will try that this weekend.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Good morning guys and those yet to post. Glad your nuts are fixed Jay! (really, how much longer can we stretch this routine out?)

Safe travels to Ohio C-R. I hope the weather is better there than the forecast for the East Coast. Hang in there, folks!

Sorry about the continuing heel problems Erika. I feel your pain (literally).

Yeah, I wish I could get all of the lunch ladies to wear capes. I think that would be a really good look

That chili recipe looks really good Twocat. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. My kids are chili freaks so they'll be good judges.

4° here this morning with below zero wind chill. A good day to be injured and spend an hour on the elliptical using the "weight loss" option which was a pretty good workout. Then I jumped into the last 20 minutes of a strength and core class.

I need spring to come. Soon. I got some seed and plant catalogs in the mail yesterday and started marking pages of things I'd like to try this year. Then, I looked out the patio doors.  We'll be putting that order on hold for a few more weeks...

Dave59

I'm here at the office today and I survived the blood test. They heeded my warnings and had me sit on the floor. I don't mind a little humiliation if it means avoiding a concussion by falling to the floor.  Once the stress of falling out of the chair was removed I sailed through the test with no light headedness.

I have my annual check-up on Monday and I need the results so I gave them my doctor's fax number. They said they can send them out tomorrow afternoon.  And I didn't even have to sign a hundred HIPPA forms to get them to agree to do it.

They give us $100 for taking part in the screening.

For all the complaining I do about work they did end up giving me a little bonus for all the high stress work last year. It was enough to cover the hotel bill of our recent trip to Tallahassee. And I did get a little annual raise too.  So I guess this place isn't 100% evil.

Tomorrow I will go for a run or head to the gym. I think I am finally rested up from Sunday.

mta - They just announced they are bringing in pizza for lunch.  That completes the trifecta of what I wished they would do.

mrrun

Hi jay, c-r, and jlynne and all to follow,

3 miles along the miami river - it's a river walk without the term 'river walk'.  we've moved south (maybe 30 miles) and it's hotter and humider.  we're off to museums and farmers market today

stay safe and warm in the snows (my GD1 emailed me she's really happy it's snowing and she's not wearing shorts - she lives about 5 miles from jay) and cold and let all the aches and pains heel (spelling planned)

marj

Tramps

Good luck to all of you getting snowed in today.

Tried a new trail today and was curious to see it on the map when I finished.  Of course, my Garmin decided not to load today for some reason. They can put a man on the moon but....  grrr.

8 miles in steady, howling wind.  I didn't wear headphones so I could hear any trees that might want to crash down on me.  Fortunately, none.

Be safe. Be kind.

Erika, I hope you get your heel problem sorted out or healed soon. For some reason, there's nothing I hate more than a foot problem, probably because there's not much you can do about it , it's usually not brought on by running too hard or whatever, and just "taking it easy" is not an option.

Nothing for running today, but I'll head to the gym this afternoon for some weights. I'll probably look to do a longish run tomorrow out at the lake. Again, warm weather for this time of year the next few days.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Morning' Friends -

SteveP - *sigh* Your job sounds a lot like where The Hub used to work.  Must be an industry standard.

MikeE - I forgo to say good luck with the interview!!

Tammy - So happy DH's test came back clear.  Hang in there with the rest of the family.

Jay's nut issue is resolved!

Capes for everyone!!

35 min of stat biking last night with 6 x 1 min hard.  It was warm (low 60's) yesterday and muggy. By the time I got done, I was so soaked in sweat I looked like I'd been standing in a rain storm.

Was supposed to run 6 this morning, but the winds were howling and it was absolutely dumping so I returned to bed.  There was a time when I'd muster the strength (or stupidity, depending on how you look at it) to go out in those conditions.  Not anymore.  Hopefully, tomorrow morning the weather will be a bit better.

The Hub will be spending the day pumping under the house every 20 minutes.  Poor guy . . .

Yesterday we had a HUGE answer to prayer here at work.  It was an issue that, if not resolved, was a malpractice suit in the making.  Our little team has been sweating bullets for over week.  I think the attorney involved will be making better notes from now on.

Have a great day, peeps ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All!

super heavy rain today - flooding expected - high winds. Hang On!    So, no running for me today. Which is fine by me because I had such a long day yesterday - working from both my offices yesterday, running with a person doing the C25K program, in the rain, then speaking at a local Kennel Club meeting so didn't get home til almost 9:00. Had a bowl of Lucky Charms and went to bed.  So looking forward to going home at a normal time and eating a real meal. 

Dad goes in for a full (neck to thigh) CT scan today. Not sure how long after that that he'll find out results, but hoping for good, clean results for him also.  Thanks for the good thoughts friends.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

So, Jay managed to cut his nut off with a small vibrating saw....sounds painful.....

12"-18" of snow just sounds amazing to me.  I have never seen that kind of snowfall.  We generally don't get more than 8"-10" here on a big storm.

I need to go back and print Twocat's recipes.

5 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yes, greta to hear Jay's got a new nut!

Hope you Phoenix runners have a fun time in the warm weather, and that your foot behaves Erika.

Raining cats and dogs here, and all the snow that I shoveled which messed up my back, is pretty much gone.

My back was sore and stiff last night, but we did grab the only chair left in the club, so I could sit and listen to the band.

It's still sore today, but much less so.  Maybe tomorrow it'll be good for a little jogging.

Twcat - both the chili and the beery cheese recipe and the cauliflower recipe look fantastic to me, so I will copy those down and try them sometime.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--when first saw that, I thought you were talking about the lack of coffee.   A bit more serious, but glad it's resolved.

Made it it out for 3.1 lake loop right at the start of the storm. Only about an inch on the ground at that point. I got an email from work last night saying it was an official snow day, so took the luxury of sleeping in a bit and going out in actual daylight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Thank you for starting us of Jay. You nutless wonder you.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Speaking of capes, with the rain enke notes being as heavy if not heavier

this morning as for November's rainathons (see avatar and that made Portland

look nice), I put one of Holly's 99-cent style ponchos on one of the Frosties

and the other on me to brave five miles in the elements for easily the most

inclement running I've ever done on my own without paying for it in a marathon

or something.  Poncho did not keep cargo pants, gloves and wool socks

(I thought would help keep warm with plastic garden clogs - nope) dry

and all were sopping wet within the first mile but otherwise okay

with warm wool watch hat pulled down over my ears (and under poncho hood).

Really noisy splattering rain on the plastic poncho and hood, though.

Raining so hard, I didn't expect to see more than a couple of other idio, . . err

cyclemuters but certainly no runners.  However, this being the PNW,

the normal contingent of a dozen or so winter cyclists were out in it,

along with five bundled-up runners I never expected to see at all.

Except for mostly above jay's area and upwards under the poncho,

everywhere else soaking, drenching wet at the end of an hour/thirty minutes,

if not sooner, much sooner.  Other than that, at 50o with no noticeable wind,

pretty nice, if not balmy morn. . ,

ps enke - does mbe commute in this stuff?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Except for mostly above jay's area and upwards under the poncho,

Stumpy - I'm not sure which of the two would've been considered the biggest pending crisis considering what was being mumbled in the hallways yesterday morning prior to the coffee crisis being averted.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance