Masters Running

Indy 500 Mini Marathon RR (Read 383 times)

Henrun

Marj and I love destination runs. Annually we visit my DD and her family in Ohio and try to run half marathons in nearby areas. We've run in Cincy (Flying Pig-marathon for Marj); Louisville (Kentucky Derby half) and this past weekend in Indy. This is the largest half in the U.S. (35, 000 entrants). This year over 30, 000 finished and another 5,000 did the 5 K.

We flew into Dayton, drove to my DD's for an overnight and drove the next morning to Indy in time for pick-up at the Expo. The timing chips were in the back of the race bib. The city was packed with the racing hordes. Fortunately we had reservations at a good restaurant and got to bed early. The weather had been warm but race day (Saturday) was expected to turn colder (40's in the a.m. with brisk winds). It turned out to be IRC-a head wind going out and a tail wind the last few miles. We lined up in our corral (about halfway) and, after the playing of "My Indiana Home" and the "Stars and Stripes", we were off. Marj immediately disappeared as she hit her usual pace. The first mile was a bit slower for both of us because of the crowds but, worked to our advantage since we both usually start off too fast. The course wasn't very pretty but was lined with bands and music of all sorts. Of course there were many walkers and it was a bit of a struggle getting past them. The highlight was our getting to run on the Indy Speedway track. We entered the stadium and you could see a line of runners going around the oval on the other side. The track was banked and we had to keep on the upper flatter side. I wasted a minute or so taking photos with my phone (I wish I knew how to transfer them to this report). I kept a steady pace on our return leg. For the last 1/4 mile I sprinted to break 2:30 and passed many runners. Since our first names were on our bibs the announcer said "Henry's moving so fast he's got his own finish line". I did finish at 2:29:52 (My fastest half in the last 2 years). Marj had a p.r. at 2:12:40. In our respective age groups I finished 5/23 and Marj 4/124 (that included the walkers).

It was a satisfying race for both of us although Marj said she hated it because of the large numbers (I, on the other hand, love large numbers because I'm not at the end!)

After the race we spent the night in town eating and recovering and drove back to to my DD's the next morning.

We're already thinking about next year (Columbus, Ohio?).

evanflein

You guys always have so much fun at these races. But I'm with Marj on not loving the crowded course. Congratulations on her PR and your fast time for this race! That does sound like a big race... bigger than Boston for a half!
      wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to both of you on good races!  I agree with Erika and Marj about the big races - give me a small local event, any day.  You said you like big events because you're not at the end, but in a small race it's so much easier to get an AG award! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Out of all those runners the announcer singled you out!  How cool is that??  Yeah, I hate large crowds, I can't even go to the mall.  I had a bit of trouble figuring out how you run on a banked corner without it bothering your ankles.  You both got so close to AG awards, maybe next time!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Congratulations to both of you! I love what the announcer said Henry. What a kick.

The chips were wired right into the back of the race bibs at the Wineglass marathon and I thought that was really neat. No muss, no fuss and no worries about losing the chip mid-race.

I've always wanted to do this race with its finish on the Speedway. Now I am even more interested.

Nice running and what's next for destination?

Congrats, henrun and marj.  You both finished well in your age groups with a speedy run for henrun and PR for marj.  Way to go.

TomS

Good stuff

You kids rock

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

mrrun

Thanks all.

Enke - you run on the flattest part of the banked area, so it's not bad

CNY - Only 2.5 of the race is on the speedway and it's in the middle.  The remainder of the race is similar to the Utica Boilermaker without the free beer at the end - not memorable.  The Louisville Half runs partially alongside Churchill Downs - you're not allowed on the actual track, but I enjoyed it more. Marj

Slo

Wow...great Runs ! and very nice AG finishes.

Hey henrun. Great report .Congrats to you and Marj!

You mentioned Columbus as a possible next destination race. It would be a great choice. Ive run the full a few times, and the nicest part of the course is the part that is shared with the 1/2 marathoners through the nice neighborhoods. The finish line is cool--you turn the corner, and a nice little slope to the finishing shoot. Good crowd support. But an even better one might be the USAFM at Wright Patterson AFB in Sept. Not too crowded, but it is real cool. You finish by running underneath a line of historic planes, and get your medal from a General. Lots of fly bys.

Marathon Maniac #957

I did finish at 2:29:52 (My fastest half in the last 2 years). Marj had a p.r. at 2:12:40. In our respective age groups I finished 5/23 and Marj 4/124 (that included the walkers).

Wow!  Excellent racing for both of you! 

If you want a little less crowded fall half marathon near Dayton, the Dayton River Corridor Classic is a great race.  This year it will be on October 10.  You can find it at http://keysports.net/main.asp  Just a thought....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."