Masters Running

Final Friday's Daily: 12.27.13 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Does anyone have Apple TV or Roku? Thoughts? Since we canceled cable, we're looking for alternate ways to get programming to our TV.

Dave, sounds like a great Annabelle reunion, and good time alone for your DD and SIL. Enjoy Mt. Vernon.

Sometimes low mileage is the right way to go, Tramps. Take a break and ramp it back up next year/week.

I'm glad you had such a good, snowy run yesterday Mariposai! Regarding Christmas eating: I'm glad it is over and we can get back to our 'normal' diet (at least till the next round of company arrives late tomorrow). My favorite dish was not a new one, but I always enjoy DW's pan-seared sea scallops.

I'm glad your calf is OK Ribs. How nice of you to (not) be so concerned about how cold your RP is.

Leslie, it sounds like your dad is as special and caring a person as you. Lot of good stuff in that bible - in addition to the expected good stuff! I've had that '50 lb. lasagna' before... Nice predawn run.

Holly, good for you for taking time off to enjoy your family and friends! Count me amongst those who would likely not set aside huge chunks of time for cleaning.

Twocat, I clearly see the Mickey Mouse on that house, but I think it's pretty goofy. Interesting that you keep records of what to wear in different temps - don't you miss the 'fun' of trying to guess how to dress just right each day?

MS, you really know how to romanticize cooking a turkey, don't you?  Good for you for finding just the right gift to get through DD's cool! Hamish looks like I feel after some workouts, but I don't get to sleep it off on a comfy couch..

Tselbes - ah yes - the guilt of missing a workout; a familiar feeling.

Nice run, Stumpy. Glad your jaw was fine with it too.

Good repeats on the TM, Evanflein. I hope you can get outside this weekend.

I had a bit of a twinge on the outside of my right calf on yesterday's workout. So, even though I was up early today, I decided to take a rest day. We also got a coating of fresh snow last night, and going slipping and sliding wouldn't help. So I'll do a little shoveling cross-training later on, and then maybe some house cleaning...

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good morning, Jay, and all that follow.  We have a Roku 3 that we use mostly to stream Netflix, which I love.  We have it connected to our stereo so I also listen to Pandora and Internet radio streams through it.  Tons of music.   It was great during the holidays, for example; there was a wonderful "Christmas Blues" channel that we had on for hours.  There's a great New Orleans station that I often stream and I'll sometimes poke around and find foreign stations to listen to.  Roku has a bizillion apps (or "channels"), most of which I ignore.  But it's very flexible, allowing you to choose the "channels" you want and very simple to use.  We're not big TV watchers, but I'd definitely give it a thumbs up.  And I suspect that if you have the time to explore, there's much more available via Roku than we take advantage of.  (Google "best Roku channels" and you'll see some of the things out there.) Good luck.

5 EZ miles under a starry sky.

ETA: Saw 2cat's question below.  Roku is a streaming device for Internet content, not a broadcast antenna .  We have an old-fashioned over-the-air (OTA) antenna for network broadcast programs, news, etc.  Funny part is free OTA picture quality is better than cable since the cable companies downgrade the image to save bandwidth.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Jay, Tramps and all to follow. Thanks for another great recap Jay. Been a little behind here lately. It sounds like everyone had a nice Christmas. It was delightful having all of the grandkids here on Christmas Eve. Total chaos - and lots of mess! But what fun, and the celebration is always more joyful from a small child's perspective. Unfortunately, my "Charlie Brown" tree is dropping needles faster than I can vacuum them up, so down it will come today.

Take good care of that sore calf Jay. Sounds like you've got enough "cross training" planned for your day today.

Must be something about that generation, Leslie. My mother used to stick all kinds of things in her bible as well, though I don't recall ever finding any credit cards in there

I took the liberty of eating anything that wasn't nailed down on Christmas day and must now pay the piper. 7 miles on the track at the Y this morning followed with 30 minutes of free weights and core.  DD#2 is getting married next month and I'd like to drop a few pounds before then. Right. Can anyone give me some low-cal suggestions for New Year's Eve?

Mustang Sally pretty impressive if you can crack a teenager's cool wall.

tselbs I am pretty sure you are allowed to trade snow shoveling for running.  Shoveling is certainly as tiring and a lot more backbreaking!

stumpy77 not sure "much warmer" and 22 really belong in the same sentence.

evanflein I do live in CT so this house is on several of my running routes.  I suspect it is a very, very pricy house!  It is right on the water with a spectacular view.  My guess is it has its own dock as well.  Nice set of intervals on the TM.  Oddly I find TM intervals easier than outside ones but anything else on the TM to be harder. 

tetsujin209 you are right there are no perfect clothes in 20 or 30 degree weather.  Which is among the many reasons I hate winter!  (Have I ever mentioned here how much I hate winter?)

coatwalker I truly hate running outside in the cold and truly, truly hate it when I have the clothing all wrong!  Add to that I have a memory like a sieve and the outcome is a what to wear list as a form of self protection!  As to bailing on the morning outdoor walk, good call.  Tomorrow you will once again have the option to go and if you get hurt you lose that.

Tramps can you also get current shows or just those from prior seasons?

Jlynne holiday eating is a problem.  My DW kept a bag of cookies.  I love cookies!  Why oh why did she keep them! 

I ran yesterday so no run for me today.  Just the elliptical.  Far more importantly I got my kitchen faucet replaced!  The old one was round 2 of the same model in 12 years.  No way it was getting a third shot.  The new one is a touchless faucet from Moen which so far seems pretty cool!  Well, actually hot, cool and lukewarm it sort of depends on where you position various levers and dials. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Everyone should just have the good sense to say, "this leg doesn't feel right so I'm taking a day off."  Good for you Jay.

She didn't say one word today about the cold, so we got along fine.  5 miles at the Park this morning, and no work to do so I'm free as a bird. Wonder what I'll do today. Yesterday I bought a pair of slacks at Nordstroms and cashed in my store credit at Williams Sonoma.  Think I'll read a book. Spareribs

Good Morning, Friends -

Thanks for the recap, Jay.  Good for you re listening to your body and not putting more stress on the calf.  Hopefully, it's a minor issue that rest will fix up.

I turned my alarm off at 4:30, and the next think I knew, it was 5:10.  Too late to get up and get a run in before I needed to be at work, so we'll see how I feel this evening.  Shorty and I are both fighting off a cold (he has it worse than I do), so I'm guessing my body was telling me it needed the rest. . . . . .  Although I'm not sure what from since I haven't exactly been exerting myself all that much running-wise.  My buddy, Karen, has a new running coach who lives in Portland, as well - Yassine Diboun, a world class ultra runner.  Since they both live in Portland, he often works out with her on her runs.  She's been telling me about her training with him and . . . . well, let's just say I'd better start getting my act together or both she and Kate are going to run me into the ground when we meet up for our Memorial Day Weekend run.  We've decided to spend two days (20 miles each day) running in the Gorge up in Oregon, then will end with a 50k run in Forest Park on Memorial Day.  . . . . . Things could get ugly if I don't pick it up.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Yes, Leslie's father is pretty cool.

Jay, good for you for listening to your body.

Erika, very impressive interval workout on the TM yesterday. I am with you about what an overachiever we can be when we have a couple of days at home.

Spareribs, enjoy your book. What are you reading?

Twocat, that is one fancy faucet!

3 recovery miles today for me before work. The morning was warmer than yesterday, but I did not enjoy the warmth I had yesterday 

Today after work we are driving to the Methow to visit Fjordrunner and her husband.

Tomorrow the Easy Pacer and I will hang out with Rusmusnenmp, his lovely wife and their son. A lot of RA family gathering in my neck of the woods, yiiipiiee.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

2 on the hotel treadmill. 3 left to 1000.

VIP tour of Mt Vernon.  Sure is nice to be with someone who has preferred parking and free entry into everything.  Annabelle fell in the mud by the Christmas Camel so we went to the hotel for clean clothes (after lunch and a stop in the gift shop.) I wiped her up as much as I could in a bathroom with no paper towels. Sometimes I'm not too fond of the"going green" trend.

Next up is the movie, Frozen.

Then a wrapup the day swim at the hotel pool.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – Since we got Netflix, my entire family seems to be using that as their TV experience, but we get it through a wireless router. (This is as much as I know about it - I personally don’t even know how to access it.)

Jlynne – re: eating everything not nailed down, me, too….

Ribs – whew!

Fatozzig – and your dad didn’t even remember! When a relative of mine died some years ago, we found at least 100 silver dollars sewed into the bottom of the curtains…just sayin’...

We want to take one big dream family vacation before DS heads off to college (he is a junior now), so I have been researching Playa del Carmen, Mexico for their mid-October school break next fall. So many options, it is mind boggling.

One of my Christmas presents to DH was a gift card to an Indian restaurant nearby. We have never eaten Indian food, so we both got the buffet and tried a bit of almost everything and compared notes. Very fun, but I am stuffed!   (again)

I took advantage of the weekday off to do my LR today. It was a relatively warm but windy 32 degrees, but that is still not as cold as it has been. 14 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

LurkerModeOFF

==========

...Happy Holidays guys........

currently

out sick.............No Babies were Involved.......

............GoodRunning to Ya..........

===========

LurkerModeON

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

5.1 easy miles today, fiddled with the incline a bit at the end to keep me from speeding up and ended up at 3%.

For all this talk of cleaning on my days off, I'm not getting very much done.   Oh well, I'm enjoying the time off immensely. And I'm less than 25 miles from 2,200 for the year so.... maybe?

Holly - We went to Playa del Carmen about 12 years ago.  It's probably changed quite a bit since then, but we really enjoyed it.  That part of the world has the BIG shrimp.  Let's just say I was in shrimp heaven for 10 days.

Poor Annabelle ~

{HUGS to all the sickies out there}  The Hub is getting hit worse than I am (knock on wood).  I think I should probably sleep in the other bedroom for a few nights (because he's sick, not because that bed is waaaaaay more comfortable that ours . . . . )

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance