Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 9.11.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Always a sad day...

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.4 miles)
    Tramps (50 morning mike miles in gorgeous weather)
    Pfriese (6.8 round-town morning miles)
    Stumpy (3.85 morning lake loop miles)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Holly (20 miles in 50-60° temps in 3:43)
    Tammy (2.4 morning miles, catching up to pace bunny)
    Spacityrunner (8.2 hernando trail miles with hillage for longest run since 6/16)
    Mike (6 miles)
    Dave (45 min walk up and down big hill)
    Mariposai (run at the summit in clear air)

Evanflein (13.7 bike path & trail miles)

Nice week’s worth of running KSA and Tammy.

Congrats on the new marathon record, Tramps.  (Grins)

Sounds like a great time in Toronto, Henrun.

Yes, Stumpy - DW gets the cash and I get the hat. Thanks for the update on Amy.

That’s a heck of a lot of Hatch chilies, Twocat! Enjoy the soup.

Good 20-miler, Holly.

Congrats on the long run, Spacityrunner.

There is no good side to hurricanes, Mike. I hope your DIL’ s FIL is OK. Good luck to your girls too, Dave.

Congrats on getting outside for a run, Mariposai.

It's OK to have 'just' a near-40 mile week, Evanflein, especially when you are recovering/tapering.

We had a casual dinner with a couple of neighbors last night. Everyone contributed and we had cheese (blue brie, mushroom brie, and an herbed goat cheese) and crackers; melon skewers with salt, pepper flakes and jalapeño; then paella with 2 sausages, scallops and shrimp; spinach salad with strawberries and blueberries (from one neighbor); and plum torte (from the other neighbor). Good times and good eats.

It was too nice not to go out this morning, so I went 4.4 RW miles at J o'clock in 50° temps, and under a nice half moon. I took it really EZ the first 2 miles, and then picked it up for the rest. Nice.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

3.2 miles before Irma makes her way up here to Middle Tennessee.  Looks like a couple of treadmill days coming up.  2.1 treadmill miles after work.  The rain is here.   Total 5.3 for the day.

It's possible that my sister's Ft. Myers, FL house might not have flooded.  No report yet, but the storm surge didn't happen when it was expected.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

50°, foggy, 4-miles this morning.

Power is out at the kids' house in Tallahassee. Worst of the wind and rain is expected there around 11:00 AM but it isn't expected to be too much of anything.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  Amazing to think that 9/11 was 16 years ago.  My morning radio station did a moment of silence and then played the National Anthem, which got me completely choked up.  I'm with Mr. Rogers -- bad stuff happens, so you focus on the good stuff that happens in response.
          Several friends in Florida and Georgia, but apparently loss of power is about the worst that's happened to them, thankfully.  Except one friend who decided to evacuate to her sister's in Georgia and was hit by a drunk driver on the way.  She's ok, but her car is totaled, and she's wishing she had just stayed home.
          Did my morning run/walk with DH and Dusty, and it was almost chilly out!  We surprised a lady walking a whippet -- if my headlamp hadn't caught the reflective spots on her shoes, I never would've seen her until I ran into her.  Seriously, lady, it's slap dark out here.  Get something reflective on!  Luckily we usually see max two cars when we're out that early.

Jay -- sounds like a lovely morning!!

KSA -- hoping your sister's house is dry!!

Dave --  I have friends in Thomasville, GA, which is about an hour north of Tallahassee.  They're not too worried either.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

...mornin' guys...........

===========

60-min walking without cane

(hold your applause)

.......not unusual with OA of the hips........

could be

hobbled tomorrow

there

is literally no '' Cause and Effect''  with this

...................Good Work-Outs to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, all.  Good news on my sister's house in Ft. Myers.  Lost their beloved orange tree, but the neighbors who checked the house say no other damage!  A real miracle.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 on the TM once DW got home (she worked this am, my office shut all day)

Weather so far a non-event for us. Supposed to pick up in the next couple of hours, but still we are fairly sheltered by the topography.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Glad to read most of the gang and their friends and loved ones are clearing through Irma relatively unscathed. From the pictures some areas were badly flooded with any number of buildings totaled.

evanflein hmm, Florida versus Alaska. Let me see. Florida, last major hurricane to hit anywhere in the state, Charlie in 2004. Now consider Anchorage Alaska. A search on the net reveals: an average winter snowfall of 75.5 inches. That is SEVEN FEET of snow!!!!  On average! That, does not even begin to convey what I think when I see your regular sub zero temperature pictures each winter. I think I would rather risk the hurricanes. Happy you like Alaska and that a whole pile of others like Alaska. But, me, I would be heading to Florida if I had to pick.

I ran 7 miles this morning. Happy to have had company via a call from mariposai to cheer me along. I am not much of a conversationalist at the moment. I can talk, but not for long, not loudly and I slur a lot of words. Kind of like talking to Daffy Duck I think.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad to read most of the gang and their friends and loved ones are clearing through Irma relatively unscathed. From the pictures some areas were badly flooded with any number of buildings totaled.

evanflein hmm, Florida versus Alaska. Let me see. Florida, last major hurricane to hit anywhere in the state, Charlie in 2004. Now consider Anchorage Alaska. A search on the net reveals: an average winter snowfall of 75.5 inches. That is SEVEN FEET of snow!!!!  On average! That, does not even begin to convey what I think when I see your regular sub zero temperature pictures each winter. I think I would rather risk the hurricanes. Happy you like Alaska and that a whole pile of others like Alaska. But, me, I would be heading to Florida if I had to pick.

I ran 7 miles this morning. Happy to have had company via a call from mariposai to cheer me along. I am not much of a conversationalist at the moment. I can talk, but not for long, not loudly and I slur a lot of words. Kind of like talking to Daffy Duck I think.

TC, aren't you a business professor?  That's barely over 6feet. Thought you'd be better with numbers. And at a birthday party yesterday, everyone there agreed that they would rather have blizzards than the floods, fires, hurricanes going around the country at the moment.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey gang,

Just popping in to report on my fun weekend pacing my friend Val at the Run Rabbit Run 100 mile race in Steamboat Springs, CO.   I met her at the mile 72 aid station just at sunrise on Saturday (the race started at 8 am Friday).  She was having nausea issues, but she never actually puked - she just felt terrible for most of the race.  She toughed it out, and finished just after 4 pm, with a time of 32 hours and change for 104 miles.

I am in awe of all the 100 milers - what an inspiring bunch of runners!  Makes me NOT want to ever run a 100 miler, though!  I think I'll stick to pacing and running shorter ultras.  I'm sure I had way more fun pacing the last 50k than the runners had.  Steamboat Springs is a beautiful area, and I had many friends pacing, crewing, and running, in both the 50 mile and 100 mile races, so it was an ultra party weekend.  Good times.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Ha, Twocat, yes Stumpy is right, but you're looking at Anchorage where they generally do get more snow than we do but their weather is generally pretty crappy anyway. We get hotter summers and colder winters, but it's ok because the sunshine in the winter here is brilliant, unlike their overcast, grey drippy days. But no, I prefer to have my weather be relatively consistent and dependable. We may get more rain sometimes than we used to, but flooding is not a big issue (anymore, thanks to the flood control project). But things like tornadoes and hurricanes, where some outrageously powerful and destructive force comes down from the sky to tear apart your house and life, no thanks. We don't have snakes, either, another big plus in my book.

Carolyn, I tease DH that I might try a 50 miler some day, but I'm in no rush. But no thanks to the 100 milers! There's a new timed ultra here that goes for either 12 or 24 hours in the peak daylight time of late June that I might be tempted to try, just cuz that sounds kind of cool, but not where you have to get from point A to point B with those distances. Glad you had fun with your friend!

So far so good on the weather. We had showers last night but it's been dry pretty much all day today. All we really need is a dry day or two before the race so the trails will be runnable. After the fall I took in 2014, I get a little spooked about mud on this course.

pfriese

Easy 7 mile run around town this morning.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 2 miles with the team then did 3 x 1 miles of speed work with 1/2 mile recovery between each then, as I was doing my cool down, I came upon a girl from the team who was not having a good day and was struggling back to school so I ran in with her.  Total was 8.7.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go.  See ya.

mrrun

Back home after easy flight.  Celebrated with dinner with Opie and wife who are being tourists in boston.

Stumpy - the races i've run around the lake always go in the opposite direction - is there a reason for that or did I read the map wrong?

i thought we were walking about 30 minutes to the train station - turned out to be an hour.  that was our primary exercise for the day.

and the weather fight will continue endlessly - i like having 4 seasons although i would prefer more light in the evening.

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

(hold your applause)

Not on your life!  (hugely clapping)

RunnerKSA - glad your sister is safe.

Twocat - I am with you. Erika's bitter temps and snow are EVERY year, and hurricanes are not.  Still, I would prefer neither...

Carolyn - you are just, well, awesome!  Great job as pacer!

No run for me today, nada.  DD had a morning dr apt and I decided to sleep in late (with DD) after DH left with MIL for early airport dropoff.  DD has strep throat, as it turns out, first time for that.

Back at it tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."