Masters Running

Alternatives to Gels for Marathons? (Read 675 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie (Fatozzig) raised a good point over the weekend:  gels are pretty gross. 

The advantage of gels is that they are 1) portable, 2) individually wrapped, 3) easy to digest, 4) have electrolytes, and 5) have caffeine, and 6) supposedly are made up of the stuff we’re supposed to be fueling with on these events.

Disadvantages are that they taste terrible (IMO), and are pretty hard to choke down, especially later in the event as my stomach gets even more iffy.

Also, I have S-Caps, so maybe I don’t need fuel with electrolytes.

So here’s my question:  What are some viable alternatives to gels for nutrition during a marathon (or ultra), espeicially for those, like me, whose stomach gets easily nauseated while running?  I've got some time over the winter to experiment....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

holly - have you tried carboom (sp?) gels -- they are more natural ingredients and taste a little better - i found them at marathon sports  ...... and do you use Scaps even in a 1/2 marathon?  i definitely think i needed something like that yesterday

denise

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holly - have you tried the SportBeans?    They have some good flavors and they do not make me sick to my stomach.   I've never tried the gels - they just look gross.    I also love the "S" Caps.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

This is on my list too!     Thanks Holly.  :-)

I have been looking around just a little...  one suggestion is oyster crackers.  Not that they would replace gels, but a nice addition.   and easy to manage.  maybe even for me. 

I did find plenty of suggestions for hair gels.

TammyinGP

I prefer the chewy gels to the liquid slurpy ones and pretty much only use those now on long runs (well, when I work back up to long runs that is). Sport beans are good too.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Denise – I have only used S-Caps in marathons, and only then when the weather is hot and I will be sweating more than usual.  At the Columbus Marathon (cool weather) I didn’t use them.  To be honest, I’m not sure I’ve noticed any difference when I use them and when I just take gels.

The trouble with chewy, gummy things is that they take a long time to eat, and it’s hard for me to breathe and chew at the same time when I’m running.  I don’t know why, exactly.  I need something that goes down fast. 

Dg - did you say that peanut butter fudge (the buckeyes in Columbus) didn't go down well?  I would have thought fudge might be an option here....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Denise – I have only used S-Caps in marathons, and only then when the weather is hot and I will be sweating more than usual.  At the Columbus Marathon (cool weather) I didn’t use them.  To be honest, I’m not sure I’ve noticed any difference when I use them and when I just take gels.

The trouble with chewy, gummy things is that they take a long time to eat, and it’s hard for me to breathe and chew at the same time when I’m running.  I don’t know why, exactly.  I need something that goes down fast. 

Dg - did you say that peanut butter fudge (the buckeyes in Columbus) didn't go down well?  I would have thought fudge might be an option here....

Holly, it didn't go down at all.    I carried it in my hand till I found a trash can. 

But you're right.  fudge does sound worth a try.  Maybe this was just too big.   and I don't know if it's technically fudge, is it?  My mom used to make Buckeyes.  .       Nono has tried fudge.

We owe it to ourselves to experiment with this.   -)

TammyinGP

I can see how it might be difficult to chew, breath and run fast all at the same time. I only have the chewing and breathing part I have to contend with and so it hasn't been a problem for me, but then I have the slower pace working to my advantage on that one. . .

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

We owe it to ourselves to experiment with this.   -)

Bless you for saying this, for I have secretly been yearning for an excuse to make a batch of peanut butter fudge at home.   

Tammy -

I suppose I may not be the best to comment on this thread.  DW says I have an Iron Stomach and she's right.  I can eat anything without issues.

But regardless ...

I do take GUs on my LRs and Races.  They go down fast and go to work very quickly.  I am always conscious though of getting plenty to drink with them.

One thing I did do differently for my last race (and the training LRs beforehand) is that I ate a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cliff Bar.  Not all at once, but a bite or two at a time.  I took two with me for the race but only ate one.

The Cliff Bars are fairly chewy and I did notice it was somewhat difficult to chew and breath - especially during the last 10K when I was out of breath.  But I liked how I seemed to have energy in reserve throughout the race.  I like to think the Cliff Bars might have helped keep my nutrition levels more even and consistent througout the race.  This is something I will definitely continue to do.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Great positing Holly. My quest from now until my next marathon (see my new relationship with Gu in my NYC RR) is to find an alternative to Gu. I just simply can not handle that stuff when my body and stomach is already stressed out such as during race. I do sort of OK during training, but not during race.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

I see that BQer and Mariposai have also proven my point

Tammy

Tramps

Holly, are you sure you didn't start this because you're having food cravings due to the pregnancy?

I'm the opposite of BQBill; my stomach gets queasy at the slightest provocation.  The best I've been able to come up with is alternating gels with "real" food.  It seems to help.  The last couple of marathons I've used a soft Kashi cereal bar and a banana, each broken in half.  So it's gel, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cereal bar, repeat + final gel.

BTW, most gels have no electrolytes.  Crank e-gel does; I tried it but it definitely did not sit well in my stomach, so I can't use that.  I stick with GU's.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Those honey packets you get at KFC

Runners run

I have tried regular jelly beans when I ran out of gels on long runs. Although it was nice to have something to chew I found that it got sickening sweet just like the GUs but at least with the GUs its over fairly quickly.

I always make sure to hydrate really well with water after a GU and alternate with sports drink. I only use these on longer runs such as 18 to 20 milers and I only have  one at about mile 12 while training. During my actual marathon I tried taking 4 spread out through the race along with sports drink but by the third one it was way to much sweet  for my tummy and I reverted back to just H2O.

The potatoes sound good but how do you carry them? Mine would end up mashed potatoes after about 5 miles . I heard of others taking honey. I may try that if I ever get that far along again.

Good discussion

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down