Masters Running

Thursdaily February 15, 2018 (Read 41 times)

No one running this morning?   Smile

3.1 outside miles (finally).  63 degrees and humid. Still coughing, but at least I was outside.  The nurse I saw (you don't usually see a MD at the walk in clinic) confirmed that I have bronchitis, but my lungs sounded clear.  Got a refill on the inhaler, another inhaler (steroid) and a refill on the cough pearls.  Really just confirmed what I was already doing and that nothing terrible is wrong.  I declined the steroid pack (side effects are terrible) and she didn't disagree with that choice.  Also declined a steroid shot which would have just been a "might help" thing.    Went from the clinic to the pharmacy to Ash Wednesday church and finally made it to work around 2 pm.    Very exciting Vandy basketball game last night where we won at the buzzer with a 3 point shot.  We needed that.

2.2 after work treadmill miles.   5.3 for the day- getting back to normal somewhat.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Morning, KSA and all to follow.

Rest day for me.

Steve - Have you had any leads on a new home for Mia?  And it's hard when age starts to creep up on our 4-legged friends.  We think The Wilsonater is slowly losing his mind.  Seriously.  He's only 10, but he's getting weirder all the time.  He's one we're going to have to watch carefully.

The school shooting - there are no words.

I had a nice talk with my boss yesterday late in the day.  Was able to voice my concerns without sounding like a rag.  He knows the issues.  He also told me I can always go to him with any concerns, so that was nice.  He's one of the good guys.  It's going to be a sad day for this office when he finally retires.

Okay - Back to the drudgery work. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Somehow I seem to spend a lot of time staring at a computer screen waiting for program to stop. This being one of them I figured I would kill a few minutes here on RA.

tomwhite if anything those old imprinters may be more secure these days than the new electronic versions. Hard to collect massive amounts of data when you have to type it in manually.

Dave59 you give me too much credit! Or should I say change in this case.  I was not being "clear" I was acting in self defense against the current plague of innumeracy.

tetsujin209 see what all that rain and cloud cover does, creates frozen people!

spacityrunner I have a suggestion. This September join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for the Reach the Beach Relay in New Hampshire. It is a great way to collect reflective gear and a headlamp. Then you will be all prepared for those dark winter runs!

evanflein I wrote notes in the Valentine's day cards I have my DW in cursive. She said she could read about half of them.  Writing intelligible text and being a lefty do not really go together.

Mariposai I am really sorry to hear you knee is acting up again. I hope you find a way to avoid keeping it bent over long periods of time.

SteveP it is tough seeing dogs get old. My SIL has a dog with an enlarged heart. She likely does not have long to live. Sad. Also, so sad to see what was once such an energetic dog reduced to struggling on every step.

Anzio welcome back. I hope you stick around. Good luck with pacing your DW to a PR.

RunnerKSA me, me, call on me! I ran! Just have not posted until now. I hope you get over that bronchitis fast. It is a mean bug.

fatozzig talk is nice, I hope something gets done like at the very least you get a raise or bonus of some sort.

Ran 6 miles this morning with my long time training partner. Sort of a sad run in a way. It may be our last one together for some time. She is moving to Florida at the end of the month. Next week I am gone for the Mesa marathon. I am not going to be running the week after and she is leaving in the middle of that week. We do not normally hook up for a run on the weekend, but maybe I will see if I can talk her into joining me for part of my last pre-marathon double digit run (13 miles).

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - Glad it is not terrible - always better to have it checked out when it is your lungs.

SteveP - like Leslie said, it is hard to watch our furry friends get near the end.  {{{Hugs for Moe}}}

Well, since I trim my own bangs and color and highlight my own hair, I tend to get a haircut only a couple of times each year - and that is when it gets long enough that the ends of my ponytail start whipping the back of my elbows when I run.  After a winter of wearing long sleeves to run in, today it was warm enough that I ran on the TM in a short-sleeved shirt, and sure enough, thwack, thwack, thwack on the back of my elbows.  Time to get a haircut.

6 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

2 RW miles this morning followed by a trip to the farmer’s market followed by a short bike ride (we brought our bikes with us- not sure if we mentioned that we drove down and took the auto train). This afternoon back to the beach.

(((KSA)). ((Mariposa))

Writing intelligible text and being a lefty do not really go together.

Wait - what??  You're lefty?!?  I knew there was a specific reason I liked you!! (Left-Handers, Unit! . . . against crappy scissors, etc.)

My brother and I are both left-handed, my parents both right-handed.  A couple of 1st cousins are left-handed, but other than that, I don't know where it came from.  He writes in the typical left-handed "across the top," I write "across the bottom."  My mom did not have neat writing, and it got worse as she got more ill.  She drilled into us as kids to have neat, clear cursive writing with our homework and would make us rewrite anything she thought was sloppy.  Her: Your teacher has to read a lot of papers and he/she needs to be able to actually read them.  You're not turning in sloppy work.

My brother's handwriting is still neat and readable, and my dad's handwriting remained clear and readable as he aged.  Unfortunately, my handwriting has slowly gone downhill with the increase of a benign tremor in my left hand.  Caffeine doesn't help.   I do get a kick out of clients' faces, though, when I'm notarizing something and things start to go wacky.   I often have to hold my left hand steady with my right hand.  The tremor runs in my family -  my dad, me, my bro, my niece and nephew - and my bro, because his was getting really bad, is now taking a minute dose of blood pressure med that has changed things dramatically for him.  I'm not there yet.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

''tomwhite if anything those old imprinters may be more secure these days than the new electronic versions. Hard to collect massive amounts of data when you have to type it in manually.''

...my thinking exactly.......

===========

..well, Pickles' numbers were up...

.............but not to any dangerous levels...........which was good news

thanks for the Kind Words

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickadder

5 early morning miles for me. 65F and foggy made for a more dismal run than usual and DD bailing on joining me this morning didn't help. A nice steady 9.26 pace ahead of a SRD tomorrow and a HM race on Saturday.

Fatozzig, I inherited a slight tremor from my father. Not usually a problem but certainly affected by caffeine, stress and lack of sleep. I understand that my mother taught me to be right-handed when I was very young by taking pencils, crayons etc from my left hand and placing in my right hand. I am close to being ambidextrous, but my cursive writing is much neater with the right.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - maybe take out the tumor?

Good news, Tom!

Three miles hoofin’ it to/from bus to go to spinning class.  
                    Spinning instructor was, by far, the wors, . . . I mean, best one so far.  With a name like Heidi and soothing Dutch accent I should have known it’d be different from the instructor who warned us we were working so hard on the pedals that it’d be hard to speak more than four-or-five words in a row.  Heidi’s progressions and non-stop hills had us gasping and panting for breath so much nobody could say anything, . . . except Heidi who was speaking out the rpms we should be doing, 30-seconds-of--this/one-minute-of-that, etc. like she was just having a Sunday afternoon ride in the park. whew.
                    ps falcon - I got there early and, even though there were only four of us at 6:45am, the instructor went straight ot the bike and started off the session.  Ended it just as precipitously and was out the door almost before I was off my bike.  
                    pps falcon - I took a magnifying glass but the solid display units (not LCD like the numbers) were still too dark to make out.  I’ll take a flashlight for the next one next week.  Unfortunately, I still get too tired just trying to keep up and not get into too high a gear to have enough time/energy to wonder about the actual outputs at this point.
                    Anzio - thanks, and welcome back.

Look forward to reports on your running year.

However, though you DW might have been disappointed at missing a marathon PR in October’s Portland Marathon, being with you when things started falling apart probably served to make one of the epics that will stand out even more than a PR one of these days.  Oddly enough, the marathons I remember most now, at this stage, after some 220 marathons year-in-and-year-out since 1977, are the ones that presented some sort of challenge or other difficulty and I hardly remember anything about the PR one. <<<(ed note: of course not, since he was pretty sure he’d obliterate it in a future marathons)>>> <<<(dreamer/dreamer/dreamer)>>>

VIDEO GAMES

As much as I was appalled at the video mother ignoring her kids, I got to wondering if what might seem to be bad parenting has any detrimental consequences on the kids.  Apparently not.  Even searching “parent gaming addiction,” etc. didn’t do anything but bring up articles on kids being addicted to video games so maybe it doesn’t matter and I better chill down.  I guess millions of kids got raised okay with couch-potato/television parents.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

metalmancpa

3rd day off from running. Brought my gear to the office, but the hammy still is felt outside the realm of normal so do not want to aggravate it. I hate not running like this, but I know it's the wise thing to do in the long run.

Hello Masters.  Just passing through, but I want/need to stay connected to running and this group for my own sanity.  Got back home to NC from Dad's on Saturday night, unpacked/repacked and headed to Florida for 2 days of work, and will depart again for MD (my sister's - where Dad is) tomorrow AM with DD. It's been a rough few weeks.

One highlight of the year so far is that outdoor track began yesterday and I was here for the first day.  I've been feeling burnt out lately about coaching another season (this will be year 11), but once I got out there yesterday and saw all of the young, motivated faces, and got a great greeting from them (they know about my dad), I felt energy I haven't felt in quite some time.  I am excited to get started, even though I will miss a fair part of the season because of travels back and forth to MD.  I have a former runner who will be my assistant for the distance guys and can step in when I am gone.  It doesn't hurt that he is a 4:30 miler and sub-10 minute 2 miler, so he can get out there and challenge the boys as well.

Interesting discussion about making change.  I have witnessed the same dumbstruck look when handing a cashier a penny for a bill totaling xx.26/51/ 76, etc.  On a side not, the whole generation is not doomed - My track runners always show up mathematically challenged as freshmen.  By the time they graduate they can divide 5, 6, or 7 minutes by 4 in a flash; they know what 58 seconds plus 62 seconds = a 2 min 800m and a trip to states; they can multiply there 400 split x 8 and figure out the 2 mile pace they are on; and so on.  No calculators allowed!

Speaking of which, time to head to the track for Day 2.  I might even run bit with them, though I prefer to just watch the first few days to look for form issues.

Take care everyone.  I hope to be back posting runs regularly sometime soon.

Falcon - never answered your question.  Yes, I saw N8 in GA.  No run, just dinner and some adult beverages.

tet-  You are doing great with your cycling classes!  Way to go!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Hi all,

Not dead yet - just down and out with a horrible cough and sore throat (think 60-grit sandpaper), and I'm trying to get ahead of it before it becomes anything worse. I hope to be back in a few more days.

Carry on...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi all,

Not dead yet - just down and out with a horrible cough and sore throat (think 60-grit sandpaper), and I'm trying to get ahead of it before it becomes anything worse. I hope to be back in a few more days.

Carry on...

Jay

that's what you get for traveling.    Hope you're feeling better soon.

I was running this morning.  3.1 lake loop miles with a garmin that died halfway through, so will be curious if I was as quick as i felt for the recorded data time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Leslie - maybe take out the tumor?

Good one.   The worst is when I'm trying to do something detailed with my left hand (like writing) or am carrying something out in front of me. When all this started a number of years back, I kept things to myself because I was worried that something was really wrong.  Then one day The Hub and I were traveling somewhere, I went into a quick mart to get us coffee, and when I came out carrying a coffee in each hand, my left hand started shaking like crazy and I practically threw coffee all over myself.  My saving grace was the lid on the cup.  The best was part was the horrified look on The Hub's face. It may be mean, but thinking back, it still gives me a giggle.

Another time that I found pretty funny was during a 50k. I came in to one of the last aid stations, held my bottle out to the worker to fill, and my hand was going berserk.  The poor aid station worker got pretty flummoxed and I was trying to tell him it was okay, but he wouldn't listen.  Along comes my buddy, Karen, who says very matter-of-factly, "Oh good grief, just ignore her. She does that all the time" and walked away.  I don't think he believed her. 

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance