Masters Running

Boomers Boxing Day Runs (Read 898 times)

Dark Horse, how is the Cicero reading coming along? I am reading Seneca now, but the following is one of my favorite quotes from Cicero: Trahimur omnes laudis studio
    mariposai, Good for you. Smile I'm not reading any Cicero these days--no one has answered my note on the library bulletin board. However, during dessert at the pastor's on Christmas Eve, I mentioned my quest to find fellow Latin students, and he meets many people, so I still hope to find other enthusiasts. I have forgotten most of my Latin and nearly all of my Greek. However, I was able to translate your Latin tag without much effort, so I have some hope for myself, too. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

Ribs, have you thought about shockwave therapy for pf? Please try it then tell me if it works before I waste my money Wink It is supposed to work like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZAgiKZ8ak&feature=related
      I will look at this link. Thanks BAP. You ever hear that saying that goes, 'if you have a cold and you drink lots of fluids and take Vitamin C it will last seven days. If you do nothing it will last a week." It seems everything I read and hear includes a mess of remedies, but those who have suffered from it all agree that it goes away when it "wants to" rather than as a result of all these treatments. Of course I am doing all these things and here is another one to look into. PJ, I told you so! Wow, what a great race for you. So you went out "easy" in that first mile in 8:25 huh? That is faster than MP for you! Shows you how much you paid attention to my dopey advice. I couldn't be happier for you on this great effort, and now you have a benchmark you can confidently build on. Well done. Spareribs

Tag

6 miles early this morning on a foggy, cold morning (28F). Pace wasn't so great today. Felt sluggish. Must have been the Christmas dinner last night. Tag

Manchild

Got back on island on a noon ferry and got to my run by 1:45pm. Ran one of my favorite runs, what I call the hike and bike through the edge of the state forest. Mostly trails with very little asphalt just at the end on the side of Old County Road. The course is just shy of 5 miles. I stopped at my sister's house(she lives on the same road) who is up from PA for X-mas break and got a cup of water. Walked home after ( one tenth of a mile) and then showered. To dinner tonite with the clan and tomorrow is DWs birthday! Have a grand evening! Back to work tomorrow! Chris Roll eyes
            10 wonderful sunny miles. 42 degrees here in Michigan so I hope all the Michiganders here got to take advantage of the break in the winter weather. Derrick are you still going on New Years Eve ? I should be there if all goes well. Erika sorry about the cold. I just got over one myself so I am sympathetic. I don't tend to get sick either so when I do I am told I am a big baby. Day off tomorrow, Kind of. If Drywalling the basement is concidered a day off that is. Been trying to finish this project for over a month now so time to get off my duff and get er done. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

CassadAAmius

Nice to see everyone here. Hi Bonger, glad you found us. I did 1500 yds in the pool, steady 53-second laps. Then 60 min on the stationary bike, AHR 143, as measured by my new Polar HRM. The effort felt harder than the corresponding run would have... gotta improve those cycling muscles. Still some low ankle pain at the AT attachment. This is taking forever.
              Dave59

I will look at this link. Thanks BAP. You ever hear that saying that goes, 'if you have a cold and you drink lots of fluids and take Vitamin C it will last seven days. If you do nothing it will last a week." It seems everything I read and hear includes a mess of remedies, but those who have suffered from it all agree that it goes away when it "wants to" rather than as a result of all these treatments. Of course I am doing all these things and here is another one to look into.
                I was struggling with what I think was some mild (compared to others) PF over the summer and still have a little soreness in my heel. The August issue of Runners World had an article on "Low Level Lasers" or "Cold Lasers". The author had good success with it. If I could have found some around here I probably would have tried it. Have you heard of this treatment? I took about a month off running, slept with a Strassburg Sock on for a few months, and even now only run every other day. I have no idea when the problem will go away completely.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Back to report: 1800m in the pool, incl 12x100. Last one came in at 1:38. I am very most pleased with myself. Wink
                  bap

A hailstorm has just started . I 'ad better wear a 'at or ze 'ail will 'urt ma 'ead.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

bap

Ribs, here is a real link to shockwave therapyhttp://ajs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/31/2/268

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

Me

Good Evening everyone, I was trying to hold out at CR, I'm stuborn that way. Someone eventually asked me to turn the light out when I was done. I looked around and there was no one there. So, here I am. No runs today. I took the weekend off, what with the 40 mph winds and all. I ran yesterday and had a pain in my knee afterwards that continues to bother me today. Cheers, Mike
                          Mike, so happy you're here! Merry Christmas to you. Sorry to hear about your knee. Is it time for new shoes? Kevin is here but he changed his name. Debbie and Eliz are also here, but haven't heard from Laurie. I ran 5 miles this morning. Was supposed to be accompanied by my brand new mp3, but it froze on me before I left the house. Now I know how to restart it, so I'll try again tomorrow. Theresa, I envy you your Garmin. Congrat's to VIsta on your 1000, and to Eliz on your recent long run. Smile Greetings to everyone. I think of things to say as I read the posts, but there are so many, they fly out of my head when I sit down at the computer. Jem
                            Ok, Mariposai, Dark Horse, give it up: Trahimur omnes laudis studio what does it mean?? Our high school history/classics/latin teacher was named Mr. Sage. I always thought that was cool, and even wondered if he had changed his name to that, being a dramatic kind of fellow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

enke, it means that all of us strive for the praise of others, but it meant a lot to me that she would single out this statement, because it has so held true for all of human performance for so many centuries. Look at it like this, just for fun. Here we are ending 07 and although strangers to each other, we post our runs and race reports; we all need a pat on the back and internet forums facilitate this. Just about all of us have kids, and through trial and error we have learned that praise and support of what they do well is the biggest determinant of shaping their behavior, as opposed to yelling and screaming of what is wrong with them. All too often we realize it late in life. I know I have. And now as a very old man, I see so much mismanagement in corporate work and the inability of "managers" to help people do their best. Everyone needs recognition and reinforcement of their desired, good efforts, and that motivator is so powerful that it ought to govern all human performance strategy in businesses. All any of us wants is just for someone to say, "Good effort, nice going." That is what drives us all. Spareribs
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

enke, it means that all of us strive for the praise of others, but it meant a lot to me that she would single out this statement, because it has so held true for all of human performance for so many centuries. Look at it like this, just for fun. Here we are ending 07 and although strangers to each other, we post our runs and race reports; we all need a pat on the back and internet forums facilitate this. Just about all of us have kids, and through trial and error we have learned that praise and support of what they do well is the biggest determinant of shaping their behavior, as opposed to yelling and screaming of what is wrong with them. All too often we realize it late in life. I know I have. And now as a very old man, I see so much mismanagement in corporate work and the inability of "managers" to help people do their best. Everyone needs recognition and reinforcement of their desired, good efforts, and that motivator is so powerful that it ought to govern all human performance strategy in businesses. All any of us wants is just for someone to say, "Good effort, nice going." That is what drives us all. Spareribs
                                AMEN!!!! My husband and I finally gave up on the corporate world and started our own two-person engineering consulting firm. We love it! We praise each other all the time, are together all day, every day, and have a great quality of life. A dramatic change from the days when I dreaded getting out of bed to go to the office. You're right, Spareribs, it really wouldn't take much effort on the part of managers to make their staff much happier and more productive. Oh, well, doesn't matter to me, anymore! Big grin