Masters Running

Saturday, Saturday! 4.27.13 (Read 55 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks, MS - I learned more about bicycle fenders yesterday than I ever knew there was to learn. I have a whole new respect for them and the people who construct and ride with them.

Twocat, sorry about the late night frustrations.

Stumpy, sounds like you, DW and your friends had a wonderful meal on Thursday night. Happy Birthday to your DW! I agree that, however good a steak is, it is not a good pre-race/workout meal. The chocolate torte, however...

Jlynne, body fat tests rarely have the results we hope for. But that's part of what keeps us going, so don't take it too hard.

Pavvo, it seems that you and Jocelyn had a greta day in the park yesterday - good for both of you!

I'm hoping for good weather for the Looavul crew, and everyone else racing today.

Thanks for all your car repair advice yesterday. I took the car to the dealer yesterday afternoon, and got an estimate for the repairs (new radiator, etc.) that was about $125 lower than the local mechanic's estimate. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? I guess I won't be going to that local mechanic any more. I left the car with the dealer, and took a rental from them - they are giving me the 1-day rate, even if it takes them 2-3 days to get the parts in and the work done. Even with the rental, I'm still saving a good chunk vs. the local guy.

I slept poorly last night, and had some very strange dreams (elevator cars turning into subway cars, so instead of going down a few floors, I went horizontal, under some river to another town - couldn't get off at the first station because it was an 'express' train, and not a 'local'). So I got up a little later this morning, but was still out the door before 5. I went 3.24 EZ-PZ, paper-bag head, racewalking miles. I worked on form, and not speed at all, and am still trying to figure out how to handle my race tomorrow. It was 38F and quite refreshing when I went out. Even though there was light creeping in from the east, the fool moon still looked magnificent in the western sky. With the air temp cooler than the water, the pond across the street was creating its own fog. Just on the edge of that fog, an elegant great blue heron was hunting for breakfast. A couple of miles into my workout, I saw a huge wild tom turkey in full regalia, strutting and making a racket (probably wanting some breakfast too, but being a lot more demonstrative about it than the great blue).

Just like the birds, I'm ready for my breakfast now too. DW is up and showering, and then we're going to the FLD (favorite local dive) for some good food and conversation.

I hope you have a superbly satisfying Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...Jay//...........this is why

you shouldn't eat Mushrooms of Unkown Origin before bedtime..................

================

28min PoolRun............dragging my Floatation Belt behind me........

which would

make it

more of a Floatation Suggestion........

.................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Morning boomers.. lololl quiet here

8k in the rain.  I love the rain yeah

sorry I have been absent. Work life busy still running Afib still at bay. Girls doing great. Still coaching my running group. Awesome group of people... Have an amazing day everyone.Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

I never really thought about bike fenders before, MS.  Can you tell I never ride one?

Wow, Jay, that is rare to get a dealer underpricing a local guy.

Good to see TW back here regularly.  Go Tom!

Tall—good to see you and glad to hear all is well.

I learned today that race measurement/timing is not the same as race management.  I decided at the last minute to jump into a nearby 10K this morning, hoping to use my Boston training to beat a soft 10K PR.  The race was certified and timing was done by a very good local company that does most of the races around here.  However, race management in this nearby small town was another matter.  In particular, the awards were…uh…let’s call it creative.  It was both a 5K and 10K and they got the three overall awards in each done correctly (I think).  Then it all fell apart.  Some age awards for the 5K were given but then, inexplicably, the women’s and men’s categories for the 50-59 AG were merged.  So instead of winning her AG, TriBee came in third behind two men.  And then, to top things off, they decided on the fly that, well, there just weren’t going to be any 10K AG awards this year at all.  “Bye!  Have a nice day.”  It was all so bizarre that you just had to laugh.

It was all good though since the course was measured soundly and my official time was a solid PR for me at 45:14.  Especially since this was a course with a number of rolling hills, I was pleased with that result.  I felt like my training for Boston wasn’t a total waste!

Looking forward to hear from the racers, especially in the marathon+  distances.

Be safe. Be kind.

Was in Park City, Utah, all week. Intended to run, or at least walk, between meetings, but realized the moment I got out of the car that the event organizers failed to put an essential item on the packing list: oxygen. I first met one of the colleagues who was with me this week in Keystone, CO, when we were wiped out by altitude sickness, waiting for the EMTs to shove little tubes filled with precious O2 up our noses. Mutual colleague who put this workshop together told us Park City elevation was 4,000 feet, forgetting to add "below Keystone."

I couldn't even walk the 100 yards from my room to the resort fitness center the first day without my chest heaving. Walked outdoors a little on Tuesday & Wednesday and rocked out a slow but steady 2 miles on the treadmill Thursday morning.

Gorgeous place, awesome workshops, great people, but grateful to be back close to sea level. Heading out, after a jet lag recovery nap, to see what my legs are up to this afternoon.

Florence

flomotioncoaching.com

fatozzig, thinking of your brother and sister in law.  stumpy, happy birthday to your wife.  Jay, I frequently have real strange dreams.  I can't imagine how ones mind (subconscious or otherwise) comes up with some of the ideas it does.  Tall, it's good to hear from you.  eliz, sorry to hear about the oxygen problem.  Many years ago, I did a little skiing.  A couple times I went skiing in CO and could count on a headache for a day or two while getting used to the thinner air.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s and there was just a light breeze when I went out.  It got into the 50s before I finished.  After poking along for a few miles, I began to wonder if I could do more than my routine 8 miles, maybe 9 and possibly 10.  I got the 10 in and it didn't feel worse than most of my 8 milers.  I had a 10:55 pace which is very acceptable for me these days.  When I checked my log, I found my last 10 miler was over 3 months ago and 7:40 slower (46 sec/mi).  That made my day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Tramps, I'm sure we all have some odd stories about RDs and awards. Years ago I went to an inaugural 5K race and one guy walked away with 3 awards: 1st overall, 1st male, and 1st in his AG.

Actually completed the full 19 miles my coach scheduled for me today. That included prescribed 1 minute walk breaks about every 15 minutes. I hope I can walk close to normal by the time I have to go to work this evening. I'm stiff and walking very slowly and gingerly, almost as bad as post-marathon. These early morning runs are tough to figure out how to dress. The temp had climbed 20 degress by the time I finished.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

evanflein

Any news from Holly and Mike?

We put so much money into that Saab I had until it finally reached the tipping point. When the cure for the last problem was "new engine," we just couldn't do it. I've been without a car since last fall and we're doing pretty well by car-pooling to work. It's nice that we work so close to each other. When (if?) if gets nicer out I can start running home from work sometimes. My car was a 2000 and had over 160k miles on it, but it was always well maintained and coddled, but seemed to always need repairs. Prolly should've pulled the plug long before we did. Oh well.

Eliz, I remember the first time I tried to run in Denver the day after getting there. I thought I was going to die! But you do get used to it, and a couple years ago had fun running around in Keystone the week after a marathon in Wyoming.

No run for me yesterday as I was up early on a plane to Anchorage for meetings then home in the evening to pack and get ready for trip to TX for a conference. DH and I were on the plane at 1:30 a.m. and I slept the whole way to Seattle. We've got a 6 hour stop here (really....) then the trip to San Antonio to get in a little before 7 p.m. Makes for a long day. So no run today, either. Hope to find a place for a good run tomorrow... in some nice warm temps!

Dave59

I saw on the Weather Channel that it was wet at the Nashville R&R Marathon today.  I wonder if the rain reached into Kentucky for the Derby Marathon?  No fun running in soaked shoes (at least that's my opinion.)

I was off yesterday and did my weekend "long" run in the late afternoon.  12 miles to the smell of lighter fluid and bbq chicken.  It smelled so good that we are having grilled bbq chicken for dinner tonight.

My younger daughter over in Green Bay....(nothing terrible but probably best to leave the details out).... moved back home.  I still think I will go run the half marathon next month.  Half the reason to go was to visit her, but I can come up with other excuses to get out of town for a long weekend.  I already have reservations on the SS Badger for the trip over.  I need to go finish it this year, no matter how slow I may be.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike got 2/124 in his age group - wow!!  Great job!

4:18:17 for me - not too terrible, given a longish potty stop due to the line, and some hills that were bigger than expected.  I'm okay with that.

Tramps - congrats on your PR ad Tribee's AG win, even if they didn't credit her appropriately.

We all survived the race and are getting ready to go walking downtown in search of food.  I am so enjoying hanging out with Mike!  RA meet-ups rock...Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Congrats Holly!  Nice job, especially with a long stop and major hills.

Mike--geez, awesome time (I peeked) and placement.  I just looked at your log here too; I had no idea you'd run so many marathons!  No wonder you're so fast.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, first of all, good job on your and wife running so well, and I sympathize on that award management. I think I've seen it all.

Proud of you Holly, as always.

Short, slow run this morning of 3.5 then quickly off to Riblet's school for Father-Son day, an annual event. They work us like dogs!  We spread mulch all over the trails through the woods around the school.  But after the work we relax a bit and enjoy each other's company. It was a good day.  Spareribs

Henrun

Holly and Mike - great runs and Holly you're right about RA meet ups.  We had drinks with Dutchie42 in Amsterdam.  I'll post the pic when we get home in 8 days unless it gets posted first.  We chatted like we had known each other for years - runners are so cool!!

tramps and tribee congrats.  congrats to anyone I missed - having some trouble on the ipad

marj

Yeah Mike and Holly!  Enjoy the food now!

I just had some samosas from frozen from Costco, I know, I know, but they are pretty good.  I'll be buying them again.

Tramps and Tribee, congratulations on the placements and PR!

5 mile trail run with the dog, who suddenly decided he is afraid of men.  He used to be a bit wary of them, but twice today, when we came across a pair of men hiking or running, and he turned and ran the other way.  Weird.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...Nice Racing Tramps and Tribee//...........

Congrats to Holly,,,,,,,,,and W0W to mikeE..............SMOKIN'

=========

also,

the correct answer is ''Luh-vul ''

which is the

West Kentucky Variant

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....