Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.7.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Jlynne (1 hr on the ARC trainer + machines and weights at the Y)
    RunnerKSA (3.2 morning miles in 32° + 1.5 post work TM miles)
    Tramps (4.5 morning miles)
    Holly (7 TM miles with a movie)
    Fatozzig (3 predawn, chilly, clear-skyed miles)
    Tomwhite (30 min with RC on hills in cold weather)
    Marj (3 morning miles in shorts + biking to a friend meet-up)
    Tet (5 morning mute miles)
    Wildchild (7 cold [22°] & windy trail miles)
    Surly Bill (6 miles at 8:02 pace in temps in the upper 60s/low 70s - faster than expected)

Metalmancpa (6.4 miles at 8:26 EZ pace.

I see that the chilly weather has marched all the way across the country.

Good links yesterday morning. I, like Mike, am always a sucker for that Tim Conway dentist bit. And, Mike, I'm glad things went well with the meeting with Eric's counselor.

I dunno - is it a good sign that we’ve got knee niggles and errant innards, and meat loaf morphing into spaghetti?

I'm also a wimp when it comes to a dentist inflicting pain in my mouth. However, dealing with Novocain after leaving the dentist's office is kind of weird - feeling like I can't talk, and wondering if I'm drooling all over the place...

I got up at the usual time this AM, fed the cat, and went back to bed. Most of the time I do that, I get up 5-10 minutes later and head out for a workout. This morning, I fell back to sleep and woke up about 50 minutes later, so no workout today. I'm going to try to squeeze in a short workout tomorrow morning, but then I have an all-day conference, after which I'll be driving up to Millinocket (ME) for Saturday's race. The weather there, so far, is looking good: dry with temps in the mid-upper 20s.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Have a good day, Jay. Great recap, as always.  Safe travels to Maine.

Felt really tired this morning and gave myself permission to just go out and do about 2 miles.  Of course, I managed 5K once I got on the road, so now I'm running (see what I did there) late getting ready for work.

2.2 miles on the treadmill after an eye appointment.  Didn't have to get the scary shot in my eye for retina swelling, but do have to keep doing the annoying drops.

5.3 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning Jay - so nice to have that extra hour of sleep some times, right? Thanks for your daily recap!

Wow - what a difference a few days make. It was in the upper 30's and 40's here last week. Then winter decided to make its appearance. I couldn't stand the thought of fighting for a treadmill one more day, so I layered up and headed out at 5:00 AM. It was 18° with a pretty stiff "breeze" out of the NW. And - it snowed last night! I don't know about the rest of you folks running in cold weather, but I'm always so tensed up that first run in snow, worrying about slipping and falling on my keester. Anyway, I adjusted my already slow pace and ended up with just under 5 miles. Then finished with 20 minutes of weights, core stuff and jumping rope. DH came down the basement because he couldn't figure out what "that strange noise" was and saw me with my jump rope in my hands. He thinks I'm crazy, but I'm the one with no knee or shoulder surgeries and doing pretty well for an old bag

Hope the weather is better where you are today. Carpe Diem people!

[[[[mikeE]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Jay—have a great time Saturday!

Carolyn—that motivation/discipline distinction is very similar to what I’ve often heard writers and other artists say: it’s about discipline, not inspiration.  Just do it.

Mike—encouraging news from Eric’s counselor.  Hope it continues.

SB—interesting trekking pole.  I’m definitely looking into it.

I see the iconic Watchtower sign in Red Hook Brooklyn got taken down yesterday.  For anyone who’s ever lived in Brooklyn, that sign was a landmark.

Half the fun of a Tim Conway sketch is watching Harvey Korman (sp?) try to keep a straight face.

I’m still trying to figure out the weather/clothing fit for my first year of bike riding.  39F this morning with light winds, the coldest I’ve gone out.  For the first time, I threw on some long running pants over my riding shorts, added an extra pair of socks, and put on one of those ear warmer/headband thingies—along with my usual gloves, windbreaker jacket over a long-sleeve shirt, and toe covers.  Not bad.  My hands were cold at first but warmed up nicely as soon as I hit hills.  My toes, though, started out fine but got cold for the last half.  I’ll need to do more in that regard if I want to ride in these temps.  And I kept having to slow down to blow my drippy nose. Ewww.

Anyway, 21 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Two suggestions:  fleece socks and snot rockets.    You're welcome.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Haven't been keeping up here the last few days. Some work stress followed by sleepless nights. On the plus side, since I couldn't sleep I watched the Buffalo Sabres win a game in Colorado. A rare win for them and it is rare for me to watch a game that starts at 9:00.

Tuesday was the worst night but I slept better last night and ran 4 miles this morning. I got up, worked for a bit, and then forced myself out the door. I am feeling the cold more this year. 27° is not bad but it took almost a mile to feel comfortable and my hands never did feel warm. I think I need a thick pair of mittens. Saw my first snow of the season on the run. It was very light but it counts.

It was a hassle but I completed the full health challenge at work. One of 5 people to hit the gold level. One of the things I got was 100,000 points in something they call "Applause". (It's supposed to boost employee moral.) You can shop in the Applause catalog and buy all kinds of stuff.  I had some points in there already and combined with this windfall I decided to cash out.  I ordered 5 $100 Amazon gift cards. Better that then Waterford Crystal.  I can't decide whether to horde them or share them.   At the current moment I am thinking of sending out 4 of them (one to each daughter and son-in-law).  Then keep one for myself.  Not sure yet.  I don't know when I will actually receive them so there is time to think.

I have considered sending all 5 gift cards to my oldest granddaughter.  It would be fun to see what a 10 year old would do with $500 at Amazon. Plus, my daughter's reaction would be priceless. 

mrrun

My toes, though, started out fine but got cold for the last half.  I’ll need to do more in that regard if I want to ride in these temps.  And I kept having to slow down to blow my drippy nose. Ewww.

Anyway, 21 miles.

winter gear for cyclists: bicycle booties, lobster biking gloves, balaclava, and either your warmest pair of running tights or bicycle tights (mine are warmer then my warmest running ones).  if you're a diehard then studded tires (I never went that route) I don't bike in ice or snow

good luck!

Mike E

MM #5615

You could send them all to me, Dave, and watch my priceless expression!

Dave59

You could send them all to me, Dave, and watch my priceless expression!

That is a thought.

When I think about it, I probably spent a lot to earn the award.  I "had" to enter races to get credit for community events. I had to go to the dentist and the eye doctor.  Get blood tests for glucose & cholesterol. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Haven't been keeping up here the last few days. Some work stress followed by sleepless nights. On the plus side, since I couldn't sleep I watched the Buffalo Sabres win a game in Colorado. A rare win for them and it is rare for me to watch a game that starts at 9:00.

Tuesday was the worst night but I slept better last night and ran 4 miles this morning. I got up, worked for a bit, and then forced myself out the door. I am feeling the cold more this year. 27° is not bad but it took almost a mile to feel comfortable and my hands never did feel warm. I think I need a thick pair of mittens. Saw my first snow of the season on the run. It was very light but it counts.

It was a hassle but I completed the full health challenge at work. One of 5 people to hit the gold level. One of the things I got was 100,000 points in something they call "Applause". (It's supposed to boost employee moral.) You can shop in the Applause catalog and buy all kinds of stuff.  I had some points in there already and combined with this windfall I decided to cash out.  I ordered 5 $100 Amazon gift cards. Better that then Waterford Crystal.  I can't decide whether to horde them or share them.   At the current moment I am thinking of sending out 4 of them (one to each daughter and son-in-law).  Then keep one for myself.  Not sure yet.  I don't know when I will actually receive them so there is time to think.

I have considered sending all 5 gift cards to my oldest granddaughter.  It would be fun to see what a 10 year old would do with $500 at Amazon. Plus, my daughter's reaction would be priceless. 

Does Amazon sell ponies?  And hope the sleeplessness stays away.  Gee, up in scenic New England, I havne't seen any snow yet.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

No Novocain?  No anesthesia?  Geez oh pete - and we all thought we were tough! 

Mike - So happy to hear about Eric's progress.  One day at at time - or one hour at a time - or even one minute a time.  Each is a win.

SRD for me.  About 3:15 this a.m. we heard a freaking loud BOOM!!! I was already awake, but it instantly woke up The Hub. Scared the crap out of us.  I mean it was a LOUD explosion.  We thought a meth lab or a house blew up, but we couldn't see anything unusual from our house and didn't hear any sirens before we went back to sleep.  I need to do some perusing of the local news on the 'net to see if it's been explained.

Tonight - Legal Professionals Association Christmas party.  We're doing the whole white elephant gift exchange.  I'm contributing a scarf I finished knitting last night.  Not exactly it's one of my best, but it was intended to given away, so someone will be the lucky (or unlucky) recipient. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...30s and still cold........

The Weatherman said

if we had a Brass Monkey out in the yard,

it's time to bring it in.......

==============

.....but I digress.......

35-min RC on alleged Hill of Terror.........may add a 2nd lap tomorrow

........good Running to Ya...........Congratulations to dave///////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Hello Friends! Haven't been around for a couple days and haven't had a chance to run since my Sunday trail run. Took the day off work yesterday and "thought" I'd be able to run - - but that didn't happen. Had someone coming out in the morning to look at my old Alero to buy. He bought so was happy about that. He drove over an hour away to make sure and give me cash so I wouldn't sell to anyone else and his wife will come back by the end of the week to actually pick it up. He didn't even want to test drive it - just listen to the engine and handed me the cash. It's in pretty great condition for a 2003 car and everything else he's been looking for in the low 2K range are rolling pieces of crap, so he was thrilled to find a nice looking and well maintained car. He and his wife are buying for a young mother that works for them at their restaurant who needs a safe car but doesn't have the means. The wife and girl will come get it and it's a surprise for her. 
                              then my new fridge was being delivered in the afternoon, so busy moving old one, cleaning out space, new one came, installed, moving food to new fridge. Then dashed off to the HS to help with college night - helping any kids that showed up write their essays, navigate scholarships, etc..

it was a whirlwind of a day. and if you've read this far. congrats! you must be bored to read my blabbering. 

animals: dog person here, but more importantly than that - a rescued animal whether a cat or dog - has my heart. The non-profit I'm involved with as a board member is all about helping out our county animal shelter through adoption events, helping pay medical above and beyond the typical medical that a county shelter can/will cover, putting animals in foster that need it, etc. Most recently, our non-profit paid for the amputation of a chocolate lab's rear leg that had a broken femur from getting hit by car. No owner came forward, so we paid for amputation, county shelter placed in their adoptable animal program, we held an adoption event at Petco this past Saturday and the dog, Duncan, was adopted by a wonderful woman. These are the types of adoptions I am passionate about - so many displaced and homeless animals that need a forever home. 

and because this is a running forum: Will run today after work though - it'll be at the track of course so I don't get lost in the dark.

Tammy

Tom - 

Tammy - How sweet about the car!  Just goes to show the world has some pretty great people living in it (besides our amazing group here).  And love the Duncan was adopted! All our cats, from beginning to now, have been rescues or re-homing of a neighborhood cat because of neglect.

Loud boom figured out.  There's a trailer park just down the hill/gully from us.  A guy who'd been up for days using meth decided it was a good time to discharge a shotgun.  The close proximity to our house explains why it was so loud.  The cops were called and said shotgun user was hauled away.  I'm guessing a few people living in the park had to put on clean underwear before they went back to bed.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance