Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 4.2.14 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Another busy day today, and the person who usually shares the early shift in the office with me is out sick, so this'll just be a walk-by.

4.5 nice and easy RW miles at 4:20 this morning. It was 31F, so I'm not putting away my cool weather gear just yet. This is great weather (mild days, cool nights) for harvesting maple syrup, but it isn't shorts weather for the predawn crew. It sure felt good to be back on the roads, even if some of the body parts were complaining a bit.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning Jay.

I too ran 4 miles in 31F this morning. I wore a thin pair of gloves and my hands were freezing by the time I got back home. Another 60+ weather is predicted for this afternoon.

I am going to the Methow Valley for work today and tomorrow. Long one hour drive, but the drive is gorgeous so I don't mind at all.

Ileneforward, see the Ave of the Giants meet up thread here. It will be so cool if you and your DH meet us up there.

Off to do a few minutes of weights. It is so hard to fit in XT during high mileage weeks for marathon. How do you guys do it?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

Good morning from another New Hampshire-ite... pretty nice morning, about 30 degrees, partly sunny and calm.. I ran about 8 miles around town, a bit sleepy.

DS had a tennis practice at school from 7:30-9 pm last night ( outdoor  fields and courts still wet and have been snowy, and all Spring teams competing for gym use) , so DH and I went to a movie-Grand Budapest Hotel. Interesting but weird, much zanier than I expected.  Then once we got home we had late supper and I started watching womens' basketball.  Poor DS had to study for an English test he had forgotten about... he was not a happy camper this morning.  I felt bad for him, but he was told about this a week ago and had some time over the  weekend to work on it-- Sunday was gloomy and drippy and we did not ski.  Maybe next time he will remember sooner!

DS had last ski  race of the season last Saturday.  He skied well on a pretty rutty course-- warm day.  Had his first "sub-100" race-- meaning his USSA race points that day,  with the penalty,  were under 100.  Hard system to explain, but a good result for a racer in his  first year at scored races.    We will go north another couple of weekends to do some backcountry stuff and free ski. Hoping for sunny mild day or two!

Great training runs by Karin, as always. I predict good things at Boston. Erika pretty speedy too!

Mariposai, I share your run/hair priorites!

Happy Wednesday!

King of PhotoShop

When I was a kid growing up in upstate NY, each summer the family piled into my dad's big Buick and we drove to Maine for vacation. Through the big tobacco fields in Connecticut, all through New England and we always stopped at some store in Vermont and I remember we used to buy this maple sugar candy shaped like a tree leaf in a little box. It was a big piece of sugar, and to a kid it was a very tasty treat.  We bought extra ones on the way home to give to our friends.  Those were the days, early 50's.

Racing a 15K on Saturday so did a light track workout, just 2 x 800 meters to stay sharp.  Warm and humid here today.  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

By the way, has anyone seen this WSJ article?  This is why I am careful about what I eat:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949704579461381883678174

Spareribs

TammyinGP

Beautiful quilts you posted yesterday Starr! My mom is also a quilter and I can't wait to see the one she is making me now. it'll be a Christmas gift and she won't let me peek until Christmas.

Ran 4 miles yesterday and will run with the distance track kids today as they are doing a road run. so probably another 4-5. Meets will start next Wednesday and David can't wait!

The drive through Methow Valley is indeed beautiful Mariposai!! Enjoy the commute!

Ilene - I hope you and Mr.Forward would consider a drive up the coast for the Ave! There'll be a fun group gathering there! And I just spoke to Johnny this morning and he's coming too, and maybe running the 10K.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - good article.  I especially liked the last line:

"Running has enhanced my life immeasurably, but it could also 'trigger' a life-ending event that probably would have happened even sooner except for my running."

No run for me this morning, but I am hoping to join a couple women for an evening 5-mile Pub Run in our town.  I usually wimp out on those evening runs because I am sort of wiped out by the time I get home from work, which makes it easy to stay home instead.  However, I am not giving in tonight....unless it's raining buckets....

25 minutes of weights and core this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ribs - good article.  I especially liked the last line:

"Running has enhanced my life immeasurably, but it could also 'trigger' a life-ending event that probably would have happened even sooner except for my running."

.............Amen to that//............it also Beats Sitting On Yer Arse Eating 'TaterChips for 40-plus years......

my Youngest Brother (The HypoCondriac)

asked

me if I could do it over,

would

I have NotRun so I didn't damage my Hips

I said ''You're Kidding, Right?''

=========

.........but I digress........

....................30mprnb

deo

................................good Running Guys...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Happy birthday Illene.

Nice quilts!

You mean I can't eat everything without guilt even though I run? Bummer. Guess I better put the cheesecake back in the fridge.

60 minute recovery paced run today. Needed it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

.......Happy B'Day Ilene//.............Good Running to Ya........

6.4 miles in 50:11 with 8 x 3 minutes all out (6:08-6:15 pace) and 3 minutes easy. Wore my road flats and felt good. Volume coming down and sharpening phase begins....

Interesting article Ribs and the heart study referenced therein is sure getting a lot of press. Some of my teammates are research scientists and said this about the study:

So here's my take on red flags from the original article: 1) It is published in "Missouri Medicine: The Journal of the Missouri State Medical Association."   (In other words, this may be a fine journal, and obviously there are lots of reasons people choose what journal to publish in, but it's not exactly a big mainstream medical journal. So if the result were really robust, you'd think maybe they'd go for something more prestigious.)  2) More than 1/2 running group had a "history of smoking." This was more prevalent than the controls. 3) The running group is significantly healthier on most measured risk factors compared to the controls. 4)The running group was composed of 50 sixty-year-old men who had run 25 marathons in 25 years. That's quite a sample to find. 5) The paper does not mention statins or other drugs in either running or control groups.

Indeed running is not the automatic pathway to perfect health, but it's also not the destructive force that some want us to believe.  Everything in moderation has worked thus far.

dg.

hi!

sorry to be so behind again, I've been keeping up reasonably well with reading, & with caring & cheering for everybody.   but I am way behind on the typing part...

Tet thanks for your wise advise re owies, I've been careful & it's helping.   the pt guy thought it was an ac joint strain.   it's getting better.

I'm not even going to read today's daily until later today... busy at work but wanted to give an update.

I saw the ortho doc yesterday and... oh boy oh boy, 50% weight bearing!    Sometimes I stand up with 2 legs, just because I can!       He says one crutch but I'm going to work into that slowly.  I've read it's nearly impossible to keep the WB that low doing that, & my foot feels funny when I try, ... why mess up after all this time?      He also says  I can use an exercise bike  : D...  with the left leg doing the work.   After all of your comments here re leg balance, I think once I get to the gym I'll just keep it at very low resistance.    I can abduct & adduct, but no resistance.     Resistance is futile?

I would love any advice you might have re my latest twist.    Sunday I took a bit of a fall & landed on my ribs, on the bar of my magic voyager seated scooter.   (tw... it's pretty safe unless you fall on it..)   I think it's quite possible that I broke a rib or 2, but I don't think I'll find out... thought they'd xray it at the docs Tuesday, but she said they do that  (?).   I know it likely wouldn't have shown up anyway, but thought it might be a good idea to see what it showed.     In any case, it's pretty painful as these things tend to be, and it does Not mix well with crutches.   Any suggestions?   I'm not sure how much to baby it, or how much to try to avoid pain.    I want to do whatever promotes healing, and that's what I'm having a hard time finding out.

thanks in advance!

...(((dg.)))............I was doing good til we got to the ''may have broken a rib part''...

............how would you feel

about being wrapped in BubbleWrap for a month to six weeks??

oh, ps,,,,,,,no SkyDiving Lessons til June..........

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Unless you're in the middle of a competition and need it to win, pain is not good.  Use bubble wrap to avoid it if necessary, including the one-legged cycling that I've been doing since 2009 as my left knee continues to get stronger and stronger (making me think that someday I'll get faster and faster again).

However, I'm worried about CNY's moderation advice.  I might have to start running even more training miles to offset any excessive tapering, . . . but I love tapering so much, . . or is it running I love so much.  oh well. at 70 yo, who cares.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

marj, I like the picture of henrun's son and granddaughter. Ilene, happy birthday.  Holly, I feel for your son having his wisdom teeth out.  Starr, nice quilt pictures.  rhoon, congrats on passing the instrument written test.  dg, sorry to hear about the ribs.  Nothing like bad stuff on top of bad stuff.  I hope you heal everything up soon.

Nice long runs for CNY, Mike (with intervals), and mari.  Good job on the speedwork for DrRobin and CNY.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was a little wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:04 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS