Masters Running

WEEKLY RUN & X-TRAINING - w/e 12/20/09 (Read 578 times)

It's always darkest before the dawn.  So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.  ~ Author Unknown

Have a spectacular week!

Evryday - 37 miles.  Nice job!!

Erika - 12.5 miles run, 14.7 miles on the elliptical, 1 hr 30 min. pool running, 1 hr 17 min weights (3 times), 2.5 miles walking *snork* Editor read "3 times" as "3 tires."  Editor was momentarily confused.

dg - 30.1 running miles, 7.3 walking miles, 35 minutes biking, 40 minutes elliptical, 1 hr 40 min weights.  Nice well-rounded workout.

Eliza - 4 running miles, 1 walking mile, and "drove to gigs a lot; sang a lot more; slept as much as I could to try to beat this sinus infection; not a stellar week for running or XT, but good for singing"

Nono - 4 running miles, 15 slideboarding minutes, 1.5 wallpapering hours

Lyndenrunner - 12.25 running miles + walking

pfriese - 48.9 running miles Aren't some of these miles a marathon??

Dutchie - 28.68 km running, 39 kilometers biking And she's begun kick boxing.  Watch out!

fatozzig - 23.25 road miles, 14 trail miles and an abusive massage

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mon - Rest

Tues - 3 miles OR 30 min cycling; core/strength ------------------------------ 25+ min biking (Garmin pooped out); 30+ min on new TRX training system - Wow!

Wed - 10 miles w/strides ------------------------------------------------------------- 10 miles w/strides

Thurs - 3 miles OR 30 min cycling; core/strength ----------------------------- 30 min biking; 30 min TRX-ing

Fri - Rest

Sat - 18 trail miles ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 18.03 trail miles

Sun - 13 miles --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 13.15 road miles

Totals: 18.03 trail miles, 23.15 road miles, 55 min stationary biking, 1 hr TRX-ing

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thank you Leslie.

Gonna be another dicey week as far as the schedule goes.  I'm sure there will be some adjustments.

Mon.......3miles............nope

Tues.....6miles............zilch

Wed......9miles............6miles

Thurs...rest..................nada

Frid.......7miles............8miles

Sat........rest..................zero

Sun......15miles...........7miles

Total.......21miles

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        evanflein

Thanks, Leslie! Hmmm, I suppose lifting tires would be a good weight workout!

Hey Ev, that's all I have is adjustments in my schedule!  Let's see what sort of trouble I can get into this week...

Monday: 30 minutes (3.35 miles) elliptical at noon; 30 minutes pool running after work

Tuesday: 23 minutes (2.5 miles) elliptical and 25 minutes weights at noon; 3.52 miles (30 min.) on the treadmill after work

Wednesday: 5.23 miles in 45 minutes, .6 mile walk

Thursday: 22 minutes (2.43 miles) elliptical and 23 minutes weights at noon

Friday: 40 minutes (4.6 miles) elliptical, .33 mile walk at noon

Saturday: 6.85 miles in an hour on the treadmill at the gym, .55 mile walk after, then 120 crunches on stability ball

Sunday: 5.5 miles outside at -10 (nice day!!), and .3 mile walk

Totals: 21.1 miles run, 13 miles elliptical, 53 min. weights/strength, 30 min. pool running and 2.3 miles walking

Dutchie, I love reading about your days. And yes, running in snow can be a real drag!

Gordon! I don't like it much either, but don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter!

Dutchie42

Thanks again Leslie

Mon... 30min kickbox cardio + 30 LB + abs + bike commute

Done! Again skipped abs. Despite not doing abs for weeks on end my abs do feel pretty worked lately. Must be the kickboxing stuff. All that jabbing, punching and knee smashing must work my core I was very brave today: biked to work with a wind chill of -6C. I must be crazy.

Tue......7K interval run on the TM, incl. wu and cd + bike commute

Great 7K interval run this morning, pyramid style. Had my special Xmas cds with a pace of 140-156 bpm. Felt great! And biked to work. -6C, Soooo cold. But not much wind. Really nice in a sick sort of way

Wed.....50min UB plus abs (you think?) + bike commute

Totally ran out of time this morning! Why? Well, for one, as usual I stayed downstairs too long with coffee and the internet. (2) I dropped my shake all over my dumbbels and had to clean up the mess before working out and (3) the w/o was longer than I expected (64min instead of 50min). Despite all that, I still managed to do a strength w/o (chest/shoulders/triceps) this morning. Anyways, because of (1), (2) and (3) I ran out of time to do abs.... again.

Thu.......60min easy run + 30min swim (if I don't forget to get to the pool in time)

SNOW!!!! And lots of it. Unheard of! Ofcourse we've had snow before. But that's like a thin layer that usually disappears in a few hours. This is a lot of snow. My shoes  disappeared in the stuff. And why didn't any of you snow runners tell me that running in a lot of snow is really hard? But it was a great experience. Loved it. Had to go slow and I had to be really careful with my footing when I ran on the road, but other than that, it was great fun Did an 8.8K easy loop.

No swim, wasn't gonna drive in the snow just to get a 30min swim in! And I don't like biking home with wet hair when it's this cold.

Late afternoon I added Yee's yoga for athletes/flexibility and abs.

Fri........Plyo training + abs + bike commute

I had planned a plyo w/o but my legs didn't feel like high impact, so instead did a 55 minute kickbox w/o. Focused more on form then intensity. No fast kicking to save the knees, just chambering or slow and controlled kicking. Nice way to start the morning: all agressive and hungry Or maybe I was aggressive cause I was hungry?

Sat......6.5K doggie run + 50min UB

6.5 doggie kilometers in the snow. Much better doable than Thursday. And Spike was again an energiser bunny on crack. Unbelievable how that doggie was running. Or was he cold and in a hurry to get home?

Spooky smelled something in the snow cause every couple of steps she did this jerky nosedive to the ground making me do this jump forward and downwards. An injury waiting to happen so I finally held on to the leash to have my arm deal with most of the jerky movement.

Incredibly fantastic run at the coldest temp I've ever run in: -9C. Not much wind, so guess that's why it felt OK. Probably the coldest I've ever experienced in this country.

Got some odd looks from people in my neighbourhood. They already think I'm crazy for running at 6AM in rain and storm. They now probably think my legs should be put in a strait jacket  No other runners about. Where are those people?

Added on 20min of LB, 10min of abs and 43min of UB. Feels really good. Now off to clean the house

Sun.....6K doggie run + 10K long run (=10 miles)

First a 6.5 kilometer doggie run. Conditions were bad. Overnight another fresh layer of snow was dumped. It started snowing again at the end of my run. Wind had picked up considerably. When crossing the foot bridge over the highway, I was literally blown to the side.

Spike was growing himself a snow beard . Spooky was off leash cause her nose dives were really dangerous now with the ice underneath the fresh layer of snow. That did give her a chance to run after a lonely deer though. Poor thing, the deer I mean.

Given this morning's weather conditions I ran the remaining 10.5K of my long run on the TM. The doggie run in the snow had been tough so I choose to really go slow @ 8.5K/h. About 7:30 minutes per kilometer. After 35 minutes I upped the speed to 9K/h to sort of keep up with the bpm of the Xmas carols I was listening to .I completely zoned out for the next 25 minutes or so. Then Jimmy came to bug me and I was having difficulty with the speed and slowed down again for the last 500 meters.

I later realised that if I wanted to run 10 miles as planned, just 9.5 kilometers on the TM would have been enough. How come my brain foggs up and I can't do simple math when I run?

I think this was the best workout week of the entire year. I'm finishing the year with a big bang

Running mileage:39.55 kilometers

Biking mileage:52 kilometer

UB:2x

LB:2x

Abs:2x

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Thanks, Leslie.  Hmmm, what to put on the plan for this week when I know I won't be running much . . . . . . .

Monday - still a little wiped out to run, but I needed to get outside and move so I walked 4.2 miles

Tuesday - school; buy bike trainer; back to school for concert

Wednesday - school; rehearsal until 4:30; drive to another rehearsal by 7:00

Thursday - school; evening gig - lots of standing and sitting on cue during the rehearsal and concert; a good bit of walking around center city Philly in the afternoon, but no real running or XT  

Friday - school; evening gig - after this week's schedule, just getting out of bed was like the hardest run I've ever done

Saturday - no school, so maybe RUN in the daytime?!?!?; watch it snow all day before the evening gig; drive to Philly and back while it was still snowing, hard; wore my new Yaktrax downtown - they ROCK!!!

Sunday - no school; no gig, thus RUN!!!!!! - whoo hoo - actually got out there:  walked 2.5 miles, ran 1 in my new ROCKIN' Yaktrax

After this week, the only remaining singing-and-conducting mania event that remains is church on Christmas Eve.  Then it's back to running, running, running.  Whoo hoo!  (The singing has been great, though.)

Summary - schlepped around Philly a couple of times, walked 6.7 miles, and ran a whopping 1 mile; lots and lots of super-fun singing though, and I'm really proud to have run that one mile on Sunday with the remnants of the 22+-inch snowstorm still all over the place  Smile

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

pfriese

Thanks Leslie.

Yes, some of last weeks miles were in a marathon.   Here's the White Rock Marathon RR.

M - rest day - done

T - 10.6 miles - done

W - 2.0 miles - done

Th - 7.9 miles - done

F - 7.9 miles - done

Sa - rest day -done

Su - 8.0 miles - done

Total - 36.4 miles - done

Paul

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Mon - Rest - Free weights [strength core] - done.

Tues - 3.5  miles planned - 4.28 miles - Hills done.

Wed - 3.4 miles planned Tempo run - 4.13 miles @8:09 pace; free weights PM -done

Thurs - 5.6 miles planned 6.5  miles AM -done; free weights PM [light/toning] - planned

Fri - Rest

Sat - 3-4 miles - planned    At Hershey.  Got in too late and left too early to do anything.  Reason I increased my mileage early this week so I will still make this weeks mileage goal.  Let it snow!

Sun - 5.3 mile Race cancelled.  May try to run later today, but really tired from shoveling 2hrs this morning.  12-15 inches snow overnight. 4.69 Easy run - early afternoon; done.

Totals: 19.6 miles for week.  Missed goal of 20. 

Schedule may switch for Friday and Saturday due to family overnight trip.  Not sure hotel will have fitness center or if area around hotel good for running.  So Friday may become running day and Saturday rest. 

Decided on Tuesday to increase mileage as insurance policy in case hotel has no dreadmill or anything.  This way I can still meet 20 mile goal for mileage this week if forced to do rest day for Saturday. 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

dg.

I was very brave today: biked to work with a wind chill of -6C. I must be crazy.

Now, Dutchie.   just what do you expect us to do with that comment?  Wink

(oops.  forgot about the kickboxing) (heh).         You poor thing.  was it awful?  

Thanks Leslie!  & thanks (editor?) for your kind words.

Hi Shadowrunner!

Another week of unknowns.   At least I did sit down with the calendar again this morning & determined I'm starting week 5.  sort of decided how much base & how much build I want.  so I'm working on it.  Also worked on sequence of workouts. 

Monday:      1/2 hr. assorted core / strength etc.

Tuesday:     1/2 hr. walk with Sadie.  run planned for later.   ran 8 miles, 6 on the track, 2 on the tm.

Wednesday:  50 min. ellipticalling, some ub & lb weight machines (trying to baby myknee),  stab. ball reverse crunches, side planks, hammie curls & russian twists.   then a very hurried Sadie walk.. 

Thurs:       3.88 miles, hilly run. 1  mile with sadie.  1/2 mile walk.

Fri.             6 miles, intervals.   20 min. weight machines.

Sat:            20 min. core work

Sun:          14.2 miles, 25 min. weights etc. at the gym, 1 mile walk w/ sadie

totals, more or less.  think I forgot to record some walks. or maybe I forgot to do them.  what a bum. So I'm adding a mile because I don't count my warm up or cool down walks anyway, & this way it looks better. 

Run: 31.9 Mi
                    Weights: 1 hr. 50 minutes
                    Elliptical: 50 minutes
                    walking: 4.0 Mi

Dutchie congratulations on your best workout week!!   ..it was a fun week to read about too Smile.   brain fogg?  wouldn't know about that nope not at all.  huh?

Dutchie42

dg: LOL, I expect you to be supportive or you could deny that I am crazy  It 's not too bad to bike in the cold, but I'm all bundled up to stay warm.

Leslie: I could do with an abusive massage myself. Haven't had one since this Summer.

Evryday: I'm always adjusting my schedule cause though I'm usually up in time, I just spend way too much time with coffee and the internet leaving me with not enough time to do the scheduled workout.

Hi Shadowrunner Training for anything special or just running?

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hi Shadowrunner Training for anything special or just running?

Hey Dutchie.  Involved in a local winter series, primarily to do a half-marathon at end.  Unfortunately the only weekend I can't race is the the half-mary weekend, godfather for new baby.  So now I am thinking about doing a half-marathon in spring and depending on how it goes  try for marathon in fall.  Been running since '77 but never marathon or half-mary.   I thought I might try to see what the excitement is about.

Joe Suder

Been running since '77 but never marathon or half-mary.   I thought I might try to see what the excitement is about.

Woo hoo!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Woo hoo!

What? I like to run.  The rest is just ego.

Joe Suder

dg.

Dutchie,  well, I was!   Eventually.  ;0.       If I'd told you you weren't crazy, that wouldn't have meant much would it?  Big grin

oh, the addictive nature of coffee & the internet!!!  

maybe it's our pacifier.  

Thanks Leslie...

Mon-Off

Tue-Off

Wed-4 miles

Thur-3.5 miles

Fri-2.5 miles

Sat-5 miles

Sun-Off

Total=15 miles

Both Monday and Tuesday were weather related...I'm not Erika, so I don't like running in the cold snow...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip