Masters Running

Monday, April 6 Runs and Stuff (Read 465 times)

Tramps

Good morning. I spent the weekend doing lots of yard work and assorted seasonal chores and am stiff as heck this morning! All those muscles I never use, I guess. I left my Garmin on so the battery was dead this morning. My usual 5.4 mile route at roughly an 8:30 pace. Warm again today, but cooler temps coming. Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Tramps. Everyone must have stayed up late watching the women's basketball games. Send some of that warm weather this way, would you? 33° here with a strong wind out of the north. I was actually glad to go to the Y to do intervals this morning! I tried a progression run this morning, starting out with 5 minutes at a 9:47 mile, then raised the set on the treadmill every 5 minutes until I was running at 8:27. I tried to keep this pace without literally flying off the back of the treadmill, then finished the 30 minute set running at 8:57 which is fast for me. Ended with a mile cool-down at a comfortable 9:36 and some inclined lunges. My legs feel like rubber right now! Looking forward to the Michigan-NC game tonight. I have to cheer for the Big 10 team, though I know it will be a major upset if they pull this off. Go Michigan!
        Good Morning 4.2 miles at an easy-recovery pace---Al Jarreau on the iPOD and no watch. All fine at 7:15 and 32º. Legs feel great. Conference calls await and then I fly to Atlanta this afternoon (where there is snow in the forecast Sad ) UCONN Lady Huskies ROCK! MTA: Nice progression run JLynne!
          "Looking forward to the Michigan-NC game tonight. I have to cheer for the Big 10 team, though I know it will be a major upset if they pull this off. Go Michigan!"
          Jlynne, Jlynne. Not Michigan, Michigan State. The "real" university of Michigan. (With apologies to dAAve.) I agree with you that it would be an upset though. As Tom Izzo said, if both Teams play well, State loses. MSU must play well and UNC just a little less than well. 1600 meters in the pool this morning. Alternated 4 freestyle lengths and 1 breaststorke length. Went for a swim because I just don't feel comfortable doing speedwork 2 days after an solid/hard 20+ mile run. Way too risky even if the legs feel good (which they do), that can be deceiving. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning gang No running today for me but I feel fine after my last 20 milers yesterday. Tramps, I was out yesterday afternoon cutting trees and burning...the fire is still burning this morning. Good runs to everyone today and CONGRATS to Holly! GO TARHEELS!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning, all! Tramps - I have some yardwork to do if you need something to loosen you up today........ I'll second Jlynne's Go Michigan State!! As well as Karin's Go UCONN women Huskies!! Sproinky 6 miler this morning following yesterday's 20 on the trail. I forgot the chest monitor, so no heart rate, but I suspect it was relatively low. Yeah Holly! Nice BQ marathon!! Walt - how is Ellie doing?? Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. Smile I woke up this morning with the expected stiffness, plus some soreness deep in my right butt muscle (that’s a new one for me). After 2.1 slow and gentle recovery miles outside, I did some stretching and some time with “The Pin.” I don’t have “The Stick,” so, acting on a tip that Timbo passed on to me, I used a wooden rolling pin. Actually, I felt quite a bit better afterward, the soreness diminished noticeably. A good argument for the healing properties of recovery activity rather than complete rest. An acquaintance was taking pictures at the race yesterday, and he e-mailed me one he got of me. As is usual with my race pictures, it’s pretty awful – even my DS said it’s “pretty scary.” However, I’ve posted it in my race report for your amusement. Big grin Many people get depressed after a big race, the let-down after a big build-up. Not me. I find myself more relieved than anything else. Whew! Now I can relax and get back to just running for pleasure. Having a training plan can be very satisfying, but the freedom of having no plan can be delightful.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Nice swim Bill. Me too......Hit the pool. Opened with 600 yds, a couple of drill sets followed by 3 sets of (6x25's with 5 sec rest) 2 sets of (2x50's with 5 sec rest) a couple of drill sets and a cool down.......One thing I really like about swimming is that you can get a really really hard work out in and an hour later feel very fresh........and smelling clean too. (if you think chlorine smells clean). Thanks to WRFB.......I had to run out and satisfy my craving for that Oatmeal Stout friday night. Except that didn't quite hit the spot so yesterday was another trip to the store for a 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell. Actually I do owe a bit of thanks to WRFB. I've been drawn to heavily malted and or dark ales lately and having a clean fresh bright Pilsner was very refreshing. That hoppy aroma had my taste buds perked up before that golden beverage ever passed my lips. Mmmmmm I know what I'll be enjoying after tonights run. K......best get this day started..........Good runs all !
                    If Michigan State wins it will be a major upset given how amazing well UNC is playing. Walt.RB I hope your DD is recovering on schedule. Very scary what you went through. Peter NC, SueT48, and evanflein nice 20+ milers to start your tapers with! Sounds odd when put that way. Smile Also congratulations to all of our other runners that celebrated International Long Run Day yesterday: WRFB, Spareribs, BCMorant , Sarge, evryday, and busiman. Tramps nice picture. Now try to keep your eyes wide open whenever you see a camera on the course! Big grin dg. a blue nose is certainly not the worst thing that can happen! lol nonoruns I just try to tell myself nobody is paying me to race and nobody really cares how I do. Sometimes it helps me keep it to the level where it is, personal entertainment. Not much more than a hobby. Sometimes it works for me sometimes my naturally competitive nature gets in the way! I hope you find the mental gymnastics that work for you. deez4boyz Boston packet stuffing . . . sigh . . . I wish I could take one from you. The New Jersey Marathon gave out magnetic ones that are great since they can be moved on and off cars at will. evanflein must have also been International Blueberry Day yesterday judging from the posts. How come it did not show up on my calendar? I will have to go check again. Holly S. nice 26.2 mile run yesterday! Congratulations on the BQ! Yesterday my DW headed out for 7 miles on a gorgeous running day here in CT. Then her family came over and off we went to an all you can eat brunch that is quite good to celebrate her brother-in-law equivalents birthday. (Equivalent since he and her sister have been living together for a very, very long time now. No wedding due to the legal issues it might trigger. Sad but true.) A friend of my DW and mine is planning to run a HM later this year. I am hoping to use her to goad my DW into running it with her. It may happen . . . but I have tried this tactic before without success. But, I am willing to try over and over again! Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

Well, my planned run last night evaporated after I took a nap on the couch. I woke up to 60° F, sunshine, and my kids, dog and husband enjoying the back porch and yard. What's a girl to do but turn on some Jimmy Buffett music, mix some margaritas and have a dance party with her family! So, that's what we did instead. FIRST time we have gotten to do that "scene" in our new house. Visions of what we thought our first summer would be. Oh well, make-goods are pretty sweet too! Renee and I got up and out today for our first run in 7 days. Solid 5 mi. in mini-twisters full of sand and debris. The winds from the East were doing their best to hold off the thunder storm from the West...towards the end of the run we were running with the sun at our backs, in the rain, with lightning about 1/2 mi off in opposite direction of the sun. OHHH, and the boardwalk hole is completely repaired. Yeee ha! It's beautiful. Screwed, not nailed. Most wonderful 1/10 of a mile of our run. Big grin Good runs and rest to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Just hoping for a repeat of the last MSU-UNC encounter. I'll be watching on the jumbotrons at the Dean Smith Center in a sea of Tarheel blue Big grin Maiden "run" today. 7 miles in 1:11:54 (10:16 pace, AHR 141). Hip a bit sore but off and on. It's amazing how fast an hour goes while running outside vs on an elliptical

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hmmmm...... I used to like Perchcreek Steve! Tongue Go STATE!! 6 girls - 4 boys Mom and pups doing well. I pulled an "all nighter". First pup came at 11 pm. last night - the last one this morning at 7:30 a.m. I have now been up since 5:30 YESTERDAY morning, but still cannot sleep. Needless to say - today is a "rest" day from running anyways!! Big grin I have not read anything as I wouldn't comprehend it anyway.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

6 girls - 4 boys Mom and pups doing well.
                            Awwww! Congratulations Mary!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations Hailey! (and Mary) Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mary - what a beautiful new family! Are you handing out cigars?! I'd say you earned a day off - almost like giving birth yourself, eh? Wink When will their coats start to change color?