Masters Running

Thursday Jan. 14 Master Runs and Whatever ... (Read 459 times)

Welcome Bobev!  50 weeks from "Blessed" Heart Attack to 10K huh?  There must be some great stories in there somewhere.  Congrats on recovering from that so well.

Finally a morning where I didn't have to bundle up like Erika's cousin.  Sweet!

Tinman wanted 7 miles today with 8 x 2.5 minutes @ 10K (7:40ish), 1.5 minutes recovery.  So two miles warm up, then started the repeats:  The paces were 8:03, 7:58, 7:40, 7:30, 7:36, 7:41, 7:33, and 7:38.  A few slower than 10K, a few quicker.  Average was 7:42 so pretty much right on track.  Finished up with 1.5 miles cool down.

It felt good to actually sweat again.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice run, Bill.

5 for me, untimed and easy.

Have a good day, everyone!

Walt

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

37° on my drive into work this morning.    Heat wave!! 

As I said I'd do, I put in a DVD and did upper body and abs on the stability ball last night.   I couldn't resist trying to better with the Wii hoola hoop challenge too.    This morning is a rest day from running, but I'll be back to Tone Zone tonight.   Scale isn't budging yet, but I am feeling better.

Welcome over here too Bobev!   Big grin

Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie – I would LOVE some of your warm, sticky air!

Re tape – I’ve heard several of you talk about taping, but never tried it.  I’m not sure what I would tape or how.  Might be nice to find something to wrap around my two middle toes before a marathon, though, since I almost always blister underneath them at distances of 20+ miles.

Re audio books -  I have found these invaluable for my 20-mile runs.  Usually one disc lasts roughly an hour, so I listen to a disc of book, then music for a half hour, then another disc of book, then music again until I get home.  It really helps pass the time.  Nothing too heavy, though, mostly sci-fi or mysteries.

Re Timbo – I got an e-mail from him yesterday.  Still negotiating.   Apparently the guy wants him to work for 90 days for free, while continuing to collect unemployment, to prove himself.  I told him absolutely not!    I can hardly believe someone would have the gall to ask that!

Breger – nice intervals today!  I fear I have slowed miserably with the winter, but hopefully spring will speed me up again.

8 miles outside in 21°, including 3 x 100m striders, followed by 6 x ½ mile intervals (2 minute recoveries):

4:05 (8:10)

4:02 (8:04)

4:02 (8:04)

4:01 (8:02)

4:00 (8:00)

3:59 (7:59)

slow jog home and then 4 x ¼ mile hill repeats up the steepest part of my hill (let me tell you, that is one LONG ¼ mile).  120 lunges and 120 bench step-ups at home.  Legs and butt will feel this tomorrow. 

After the recent deep freeze, 21° felt fairly comfortable today.  I did wear a pair of cotton shorts under my running pants (am I the only one who gets a frozen butt?), but otherwise was not cold.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning!  The news from Haiti is just brutal.  There was a fairly large Haitian contingent in Mass. when I lived there and I am especially thinking of some of the folks I knew who of course had familly and friends in their homeland.   A couple of doctors from our area went down on Monday for a missionary trip and are working hard in a field hospital, the local paper reported today.  It's so frustrating to watch and do nothing.  Hope they at least get some water purifiers in there soon. 

We are having beautiful weather, in the 50s.  Got out at lunch yesterday for 5 and then did 5 more last night with D.--slow but fun--lots of ice on the bikepath from the day's melt, so we took our time over the slickery spots.  Lots of other folks out on bikes or like us, bopping along with headlights. 

Welcome, Bob!  Tell us about you when you've a chance.

I love listening to audiobooks on runs--it's a great motivator.  I tell myself once I get out the door, someone's going to read me a story so long as I keep running.  (Usually I listen to fiction, but I listened to the book about Roger Bannister and breaking the 4 minute mile and it was a super companion.)  Shorter runs, I like NPR. 

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
              Just a quick post since this week is non-stop work travel and I am about to head to the airport in fact for the last trip of the week.

Aamos, you are right---the Haitian community here is quite large and we know many people with family there. Dr. J and Dr. B. my running friends are heading there soon as part of a team of doctors and nurses joining with Doctors without Borders. Dr. B is a pediatrician and Dr. J is a pathologist so their help will be critical. It's horrific.

I am still running and mostly at the crack of dawn. It's all good and I'll catch up more next week.

6 miles this morning at 5:00 am--pushing the hills hard

(((((((perchcreek))))))))----knee surgery underway today

Tramps

I'm also busy and doing a late fly-by post....

Welcome Bob (be glad they didn't have Ritalin when you were a kid )

Gee, Tim's potential boss sounds like quite the character.   I suspect lots of stuff like that is going as bosses can take advantage of the recession.  

Glad to see Aamos getting a break on the weather; she deserves it.

10-miler for me today with the middle 6 a little faster than MP (7:45).  28F and sunny again today; IRC. 

Be safe. Be kind.

I Can Go The Distance

Perch: Hope all goes well with your knee surgery today.

Nice job on the intervals today Bill and Holly. Holly, if those are slow intervals, I'm in big trouble!

Weclome Bobev. Looks like you are well on the comeback trail.

Tempo run for me today. 3 mi wu in 29:28 then 3 mi tempo run. The goal pace was 8:10-8:31:

Mile 1: 8:20

Mile 2: 8:15

Mile 3: 8:00

Total: 24:25 (8:12/mi).

Have a good day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

Bruce - my problem is I can't do it nonstop, like you did today - nice job!

Mary - I was lurking at Kickrunners one day and Spareribs mentioned something about starting the new year doing 1 push-up and then 1 additional push-up each day, as in Jan 1 doing 1 push-up, Jan 30 doing 30 push-ups, etc., February 20 doing 51 push-ups, until by the last day of the year you can do 365 push-ups in one day (not all at once, of course).  Sounds like a good idea, if you can remember to keep them up.

14 push-ups for me today.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, thanks for that pushup challenge explanation. I was kinda wondering why Perch only did 13 pushups yesterday, but  I didn't want to tell him even I can do more than that...  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Holly.   I think I might be able to hang with that routine for a couple of months anyway.   I'll get in 14 sometime today.  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I Can Go The Distance

14 push-ups for me today.  

Holly, I'm up for the challenge. 14 for me today. Are we going to post these each day?

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Renee the dog

Re Timbo – I got an e-mail from him yesterday.  Still negotiating.   Apparently the guy wants him to work for 90 days for free, while continuing to collect unemployment, to prove himself.  I told him absolutely not!    I can hardly believe someone would have the gall to ask that!

There ought to be a law....OH WAIT, there is! Duh. 

In addition to the obvious wrongness of this situation, what I find particularly galling is this person sucking up timbo's time, so that he's not having as much time to dig up another opportunity...That to me is the truly sleazy part. 

So, big news here at the coast. It is above freezing! Woo hoo!  Bayside is taking a 1/2 hr break shortly, so Renee and I are heading out for a tester run on the old ankle to see if I did any damage by putting the miles in yesterday.  Just stiff this morning, not even achy. Did ice, and tape is still on so I'm ready to try!

Holly, I learned some basic taping on runnersworld.com, and am waiting for a new taping book to come in the mail.  It was top on my list to Santa, but I guess Santa was optimistic that I wouldn't need the info in 2010. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm in! 14 pushups for me today. Off to the boxing gym after work today then running tonight.
                              evanflein

Well, the deal with the push up challenge is you started on January 1 with one pushup. Then two on the 2nd, three on the 3rd, etc. If you want to start now, you need to catch up. I'm definitely NOT in. 

I've noticed since the last upgrade here at RA, I can't reply when using Firefox on my PC. I can just fine from Safari on the PC, which I hardly ever use (except now, for this). No problems at all with the Mac. Seems odd... anyone else having problems?

Hey byll, my cousins live in Minnesota, Maryland and Indiana. I don't think any of them do much for working out, except maybe my cousin the architect in Maple Grove, MN.

We've really warmed up! It was only -20° this morning! Woohoo! Now I realize that may seem just wrong to some of you, but after a week of seeing -30° and colder every morning, this was a welcome change! Should stay about like this or maybe a little warmer into the weekend, but also snow forecast with possible -30° Saturday night. How the heck does it snow at -30°? (I say that because the real cold temps usually mean clear skies; cloudy skies = warmer temps and snow usually)

After the hour ordeal on the elliptical yesterday evening, I'm actually ready for more! A good night's sleep makes the difference. Elliptical and/or rowing and maybe some weights on tap for lunchtime. Hoping for a pool run after work but if not that's ok. This will be day #14 of no running for me, and while that's nothing compared to what Twocat and TimBo have been through, it's a lot for me. Tomorrow I'll do an easy little test run on the treadmill at lunchtime. I can hardly wait!!