Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 11.4.12 (Read 377 times)

TW - You slay me. Big grin

Jay - Nice racing!  I was talking about you with a friend at the baby shower yesterday.  She can't run anymore due to disc degeneration in her back and has taken up power walking.  I asked if she'd ever try race walking, and we discussed how hard it looked and the amazing paces you keep posting.

Beautiful baby, Paavo!

I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep we got.  Love falling back!

8 very humid and sticky miles this morning after church. Little bugs that looked like ticks with wings were sticking to my arms and trying to swim in the sweat. Ick. The mud was ultra sticky, as well. and I had to clean off the bottom of my shoes at one point 'cause they got so heavy.

All in all, a good run, and now I need to get in a nap before the John Mark McMillan concert at church tonight.  My dad's going with me, which makes me extra happy. Smile

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I will try to restrain myself from posting too many pictures. Smile

Don't you dare!  Beautiful baby!

Yay for Spare Tire!

Mariposai - you are right, time for me to put away the summer clothes too...

Enke and Erika - awesome to get to run together....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.  First full weekend at home in over 4 weeks.  managed to make a pretty good dent in the Honey Do list that's been building up over that time.  I did make it out for a 3.1 lake loop at 9:50 m/m.  gorgeous weather 41° and sunny.  Long sleeve shirt and shorts with gloves was perfect.  May actually be at home the whole week.  I'm thinking that I may do better than one run on Sundays per week.

In going through a months worth of Boston Globes I came across a article that was about the closing of Bill Roger's running store.  It's been there for over 35 years and pretty much run by Bill and his brother.  I guess it's gotten too much with Bill turning 65 this year.

Tom--just be careful about that bar when getting off the seat--at least Holly doesn't have to worry about it on herr bike.

BTW--today's Globe said that the Manchester marathon added 700 NYC refugees for their marathon

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Cool to see an Enke and Erika meetup today!  Erika, I hope your dad's surgery goes well.  Nice that you can be there with your folks.

Tomwhite - your bike description made me literally LOL!   Have fun with that.

So nice to see Tallrunner yesterday! 

Paavo, what a cute granddaughter!  Post all the pictures you want.

OM, good luck at the Harrisburg marathon next weekend. Hope it goes well for you, after the NYC issues.

DH and I drove out to Utah last Wednesday for a couple days of camping and rock climbing at Indian Creek.  What a beautiful place! The climbing is hard - it's all long vertical cracks that you jam your hands and feet into, which hurts.  I climbed hard on Thursday, and just belayed DH on Friday so I could rest up for the Moab Trail Marathon on Saturday.

The marathon was awesome!  Very tough technical trails the whole way, but absolutely gorgeous scenery.  I finished in 5:30:11 and managed to snag 3rd AG (50-59) out of 18.   I saw Mtnchk and her DH before and after the race, and we had dinner with them last night at the Moab Brewery.   I was debating whether I should write a RR, but I think I will because this was a terrific race, and I hope some of you will consider coming out next year!   So I'll save the race pictures for the RR, although I know some of you have already seen them over at facebook.  Here are a couple pictures of the climbing part of the trip:

This is me, not actually climbing, but taking a rest, which is the only time DH could have a hand free to take my picture.

This is looking straight up at DH.  He was clipped into an anchor, so I had a hand free for a picture.

This is DH and Ladybug looking at the route he was about to climb.  You can see how pretty the area is!  All the climbs start with a scramble/hike up to the base of the cliffs, as you can see looking across the valley in this picture. So this picture was taken from up high at the top of the hike/ bottom of the cliff on our side of the road.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Just checking in to say WE HAVE ELECTRICITY!!!  Big grin  Now I just need that nor'easter to not take it down again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Just checking in to say WE HAVE ELECTRICITY!!!  Big grin  Now I just need that nor'easter to not take it down again!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

After spending 2 days on the couch sick, I'm finally starting to feel better...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Bushrat Runner

Good running folks. 

Carolyn...you amaze me. 

Erika, I went through a few days in September or October where almost every run I would manage to mess up my garmin and not get a full recording. Still got the runs in though, which is what matters.

Ran 4 miles today. Was going to go further but looked around and Choco was gone. He didn't come when called, was nowhere to be seen, so I headed back to see where he was. He usually sets into a rhythm about a half step behind me on my left, so I didn't notice when he bugged out. Couldn't find him all the way home...until I got right in the driveway and he was at the other end of our semi-circular drive. Hmmm. He could have already been there, or he could have been wandering around in the woods, come back to the road, found me missing, and raced off to home by the other way, meeting me as I came in. Whichever it was, he's never done it before. 

Temperature 17, wind 18 gusting 29. 

Spareribs, I know this was a big race for you but that's a fast time.  Don't beat yourself up.

What an adorable baby, Paavo!  Glad it didn't rain on the Enke/Erika run.

I had some other shout-outs in mind but I'm tired.  I guess I'm fighting something off.  The last few days I've been getting headaches off and on.  Today I felt fine at church and then went for my long run, which I had planned to be 13 miles, picking up the pace the last 4.  During the run, my headache came back and I started worrying about that, then telling myself to not be distracted by it, that I could go to the doc's in a day or so if needed.  When I started picking up the pace, it went away so that was a relief but then I just felt terrible when I was getting fairly close to here and I just stopped and walked home.  Only ran 11.3 miles.  I felt so bad I was afraid to get in the shower because I had the house to myself.  I managed that okay and then took a nap.  I felt better for a while but still off and drank some Gatordade.  That helped and then I was able to eat a little yogurt.  By then DW was home and I felt good enough to talk to DD on Skype.  My headache came back so I took an ibu which I try to avoid.  When that kicked in, I started eating everything in sight.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

SteveP

Sweet Jay.

Poor planning sucks Slo.

TWBig grin

SteveP what kind of cargo net are you climbing?  I thought all of them were designed for grandparents.  Confused

The tunnels were a challenge. Thank goodness DW was there so I didn't have to explain rope burns. Love that you've got power. Try and keep it that way.

Too many is a good start Paavo.

Hopefully there will be Enke/Erika pictures.

Very cool Leslie.

Love your adventures Wildchild.

Get well soon Gordon

Scarey about Choco. Yikes.

That's cause for concern Opie.

DW and I got some miles in with the dogs this afternoon. I'm getting the feeling that this hunting season is going to be a little too busy on the trails and side roads for my taste. It will have to be one dog at a time on a leash. Maybe it will be a chance to pick up some speed.

SteveP

Excellent news TwoCat!  Having been through a few Hurricanes over the years, there is nothing better than the instant when you realize the Power is back on.  The whole neighborhood can be heard cheering.  Big grin 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong