Masters Running

Friday 11/23/18 (Read 41 times)

SteveP

Tramps fights the wind for 3. Then douses us with education.

Falconfixer has a pre-race run along the Tennessee River with views, landmarks and switchbacks. 12.3.

Coastwalker didn't make it out until daylight!! My heart cannot take the shock! He had a windy  95K. Frosty!

Rochrunner gets a solid 7 on his trainer but trips up over small print. I suspect we've all been there.

Holly has a satisfactory 5 miler on a course I'd really enjoy. Keep the appointment if you can afford the fees.Peace of mind is worth a lot.

BTY dives in and jumps out.

RunnerKSA has a mother/daughter 10K and takes home the AG gold. Then she has to deal with knuckleheads at work. UGH.

Tom White is heavy handed at the soccer field. Sweeeeet!! Give the geese my regards.

Stumpy has a bitter sweet gathering. You're a rock solid guy. A hound's enthusiasm, can be catchy.

Bioguy's tailwinds pushes him through his fellowship filled 5.2.

Evanflein has a low key gathering. I'm a little jealous. She got 8 1/4 miles in. If she were a dude, I'd say "Dude, way to knock it out". She's not a dude, so..."Way to knock it out!".

Runr-nut has a stellar performance in hit 5K. that kind of time is greta in a cluster race. He left the cooking to the trained professionals.

Joe618 starts his trot on a serious note. It's been 8 since he's had 8. Nice. We have hockey people in our family. My great uncle helped get the Red Wings of the ground and was good friends with Gordie Howe for ever. Uncle Bub would explode when Mr. Howe did product endorsements. He'd complain about Mrs. Howe spending too much money.  I'd be a speed bump for the Zamboni.

Mariposai flitters in to spread her wings as well as some love.

Wildchild scores a the way first place with some sisters from a different mister. DH has a breakdown in the brake repair process. UGH!

I've wondered about tightening chains by connecting them through the spaces in the wheel rim.

Mrrun leaps in spread some lovin'.. The family asking you to bring ice is the sign of a terrible cook.

Tetsujin209 offers up some breathtaking penmanship that I can't understand. However, he paints a portrait of his 4 miler.

Dave59 gets in his turkey trot. I gotta repect that man. You showed up and you did it. Our friend Bob did the cooking. How did the calf do?

Jlynne beats herself up at the Y! She shows us a glimpse of how big her heart is. Then fixes up a feast!

I put in the hardest 3  treadmill miles in recent memory. Then I got into the meat and taters of tearing out flooring. I took a break to start cooking the two turkeys and DW made it home from another overnight at DD#3's She's been going off and on to help with the three week old baby so Mom and Dad can get an occasional night's sleep. The DW went to MIL's to help set up for dinner. I took the birds over, had a few plates full and came back to pull staples from the old flooring. The group project doesn't seem to have much group in it. I put in another mile at 7:30 so I could make sue I got all my steps in.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning Steve and all to follow!

We had a lovely dinner at DS's GF's parents house.  It was sort of an equal division of labor re cooking, and DS said this is the first Thanksgiving he has had since he became a vegetarian (not vegan) 3 years ago that there really was a nice selection of things he could eat.

Today we will do our annual Black Friday tradition of going to a tree farm and cutting our own Christmas Tree down.  Unfortunately the farm we have been going to since DS was a baby is closed now, so we are trying a new place out in Yellow Springs.  I'll let you know how it works out.

29 degrees but dry this morning, so I went out for a short test run.  I got in 4.5 miles, but decided that was enough for my foot.  No need to push it just when it seems to be getting better.  I will make sure I do those PT exercises later.  Icing now.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Steve, Holly and those out running and/or shopping who will post later. Thanks for your great recap Steve. Sounds like you've got a project going on there. Your "group help" reminds me of the story about The Little Red Hen

Nice running this morning Holly. No need to push things when your foot is starting to feel better. And good luck finding that Griswold Christmas tree!

6.97 miles this morning. Absolutely beautiful 36° with clear blue skies and just a little wind. I'd like to say I burned off the calories from all of the food I ate yesterday, but that will probably take another week!  No Black Friday shopping here. DH and I are off to find a Christmas tree as well. Since we moved into our condo, our space is limited and if we can't find a real one to fit where it needs to go, we might have to (gulp) cave and get an artificial one.

DH also wants to be home in time to watch the golf match between Tiger and Phil this afternoon. I can't believe he's forking out the money to pay for that

Have a great one folks!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again for a great (post-turkey) start, Steve. Sorry about the group-less group project yesterday. Nice mix of running, flooring, birding.

Great racing yesterday by Joe, Holly, KSA, Bioguy, runr_nut, Wildchild, and Dave, and great running/walking/swimming(swamming, swumming, swarming) all around. Nice morning runs today, Holly & Jlynne.

Sorry about the altercation at the office, KSA. I'm surprised that it seems that no one tried to find out what was causing the guy's unusual and disruptive behavior.

DW and I had a great time cooking and eating together yesterday. We had a brined turkey, oven-roasted stuffing, roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts caramelized with molasses, and drunken cranberry sauce (thank you, Twocat), and cranberry relish (it'll be great on turkey sandwiches!), and then finished off with pumpkin pie. After dinner, we went to a friend's home and enjoyed their company, fireplace, wine, and laughter for a few hours. Nice day.

6.7 miles this morning in balmy 12° temps with less wind (thank goodness) than yesterday. I RW'd about 4.5 miles, and then backed off when my hamstring started grumbling. Still a nice workout.

No black Friday shopping for us today. We're going to work on projects around the house and avoid the masses. We'll be away for Christmas, so no tree shopping for us this year.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Steve, I always enjoy the way your daily starter posts are worded! I'm already looking forward to a bike tour that I signed up for up in your area next August, staying over in Traverse City and Petoskey and hitting a lot of bike-related highlights in the area (Sleeping Bear, Glen Arbor, Charlevoix, etc.).

Holly, I just read that you can order your tree on Amazon now. Sheesh -- isn't going to get one half the experience, plus I'd hate to just get some random selection. But for people living in the city and maybe without transportation it might be a good option to have. Also good business for the tree farms, many of which are here in Michigan.

Ran 3.7 on a cold but sunny morning today, feeling the effects of a tryptophan hangover and/or about 5 new lbs that "mysteriously" appeared on the scale the other day. I need to cut back right away before we get into Christmas cookie season!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Steve, I always enjoy the way your daily starter posts are worded! I'm already looking forward to a bike tour that I signed up for up in your area next August, staying over in Traverse City and Petoskey and hitting a lot of bike-related highlights in the area (Sleeping Bear, Glen Arbor, Charlevoix, etc.).

Roch - A wonderful trip - it's the one that Henrun and I met on 20 yrs ago!

stevep - i bring ice to my DS's summer cook-outs - what does that mean??? (it means we live near a really cheap ice store)

for the first time in about 5 years, we're going to celebrate Hanukkah during Hanukkah and not in January as has been our habit.  GD1 has been in nutracker for many years which meant rehearsals and performances - not doing it this year.  we're doing the brisket and latkes and everyone else does the other foods.  no black friday shopping altho have to get the gifties

went out for 2 mile power walk - just about over the crud so not overdoing it.

nice early activities for holly, jay, and jeanne!

waving to later posters...

Henrun

Did the same 2 miles as Marj, but at my speed I only saw her once (as she was heading back)..

Had a wonderful turkey day feast (chicken-not turkey)at my DS’s in southern Maine yesterday. Had thought of doing  a turkey trot on the way up  but, with the arctic blast, glad we didn’t.

My daughter went to boarding school in Traverse City (Interlochen) her last 2 years of high school.  She went there as a vocalist.  It is such a gorgeous area.  I miss visiting.

Thanks, Steve.  Spot on as always.

Finally got out the door and over to the flat path for 4.5 miles.  It's very gloomy today after a gorgeous, sunny day yesterday. But- 53 degrees so not complaining.   We have a Vanderbilt basketball game this afternoon and son wants some Nashville hot chicken before he goes back to Pennsylvania, so we'll try to work that in.  I'm avoiding the mall but did buy a few things online.  They made it worth my while.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - thanks for stirring summaries (and commentaries)

of 82.45 miles of running and several pretenders’ swimming,

TM’ing, hiking and soccer, anyway.
                    It would probably take me more than an hour to just rotely retype

it all.  In fact, it takes that long to type and post my own post.
                    Makes me sorry for you for my sloppy penmanship/grammar.

I hope the below is a little better.  
                    - - - - - -
                    At last, at last, Seattle Marathon Expo time.
                    Predicted rains through the weekend won’t dampen the 26.2 miles

on Sunday with Marathon Maniac friends from over the years, including

(i) “Road Kill Rick” (72-yo) whose first Seattle Marathon

. . was on the original Lake Washington Blvd out-and-back course

. . in 1978 (and Sunday is no. 524),

(ii) Marvelous Mel (85) closing in on his own no. 500

. . since no. 1 in Seattle in 1983,

(iii) Motatin’ Monte (58) running his 634nd marathon

. . in 13 years since no. 1 in Seattle in 2005,

(iv) 2,000+ Mega-Larry Macon (74), etc.  

Steve - I don’t think you train that much either but, as a non-trainer runner running to stay-and-get-in shape on the strength of being in pretty good shape anyway from ski racing in those days, hiking, hunting, etc. or the titular two hour run recommended in the Winter 1978 issue of the then “The Runner Magazine” as sufficient for a recreational, non-competitive marathon finish that, in the days of my one-marathon-a-year running, had my annual total mileages ringing up at less than 50 miles in a year, I’ve got a good gauge on how Father Time seems to be catching up over the years when I’ve been in Seattle over the Thanksgiving weekend, to say nothing of 200 other marathons going back to 1977 too.   However, I wish it would've been possible to have run the same marathon course over the years same as some runners’ 50-year Boston streaks, etc.   I wonder what's the most anyone of us have run the same race (5K to ultra) in consecutive years without interruption.

1990 (no. 025)----3:55:21 . . . (47yo)
                    1992 (no. 029)----3:56:18                                
                    1998 (no. 038)----4:24:06    
                    1999 (no. 040)----4:18:07    
                    2000 (no. 044)----4:05:08    
                    2001 (no. 047)----4:59:09    
                    2002 (no. 051)----4:58:25    
                    2003 (no. 059)----4:36:55    
                    2004 (no. 068)----4:48:09    
                    2005 (no. 078)----4:41:11    
                    2006 (no. 091)----5:46:30                 
                    2007 (no. 103)----4:49:21    
                    2009 (no. 127)----5:44:48    
                    2011 (no. 149)----5:28:18    
                    2012 (no. 162)----6:11:06    
                    2015 (no. 203)----6:07:06                
                    2016 (no. 215)----6:52:29
                    2017 (no. 218)----7:26:45 , , , (74yo)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, this year was my 14th consecutive Equinox (two of those were the 50k ultra version).

bioguy

Up early and went to Home Depot; they had a good deal o a DeWalt compound miter saw. Picked up that and a new vanity for the downstairs bath. Then I had to get the old vanity out. Tough time with plumbing that was 25 years old, but eventually successful.

Went out for a slow four miles.

Tomorrow is my birthday and Ill be going to the Kennedy Center with my 3 year-old grandson to see a short children's play (his birthday was last Saturday).

Taiwinds

TammyinGP

Hi everyone!

didn't get online much yesterday so haven't checked in.  Had  a nice thanksgiving at our house with my parents, son and my brother and his fiancee. too much food and the little 5k I ran at home in the morning with my dogs probably only covered 2 of the 3 glasses of wine i drank. didn't even make a dent in the food consumption. 

went to the gym this afternoon and ran 5.2 miles on the TM and now getting ready to go out to dinner with my parents. David is at a friends for a civil war party (UO Ducks vs. OSU Beavers).  It's really not even a game between those two schools though so it's more about the party/food/friends. He'll meet us at the restaurant for dinner though. 

Hope everyone is having a nice long weekend!

eta: happy birthday tomorrow bioguy!

Tammy

evanflein

And happy birthday to you today, Tammy!

I stayed home all day with the cat and loved it. I could sure get used to this. Got so much done but also just relaxed and did what I wanted at my own pace. I even cleaned the oven! Ran 5.5 on the treadmill this afternoon. Now starting to think about what's for dinner.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

And happy birthday to you today, Tammy!

Happy Birthday bioboy and Tammy too who is loved

so much o be granted an early entry birthday present

before her time back in the middle oughts

into our group of veteran runners.

What a great year, running included, you had.

What's up for the coming year?

Tet, this year was my 14th consecutive Equinox (two of those were the 50k ultra version).

.Erika - what did you do 15 years ago and what happened to change you into an annual Equinoxer?

Though I don't recognize any of my marathon compatriots from those days in the standings anymore,

I bet there's some pretty impressive streaks going.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi Masters!!

Steve - I love your recaps - thank you!!!

Tramps - that was quite the rendition of SWIM!!

Feaster Five week was great - love being part of the VIP team and mingling with the running greats!! I especially loved talking with Becca Pizzi this year and seeing Dave McGillivray looking good and recovering from surgery!! That reminds me tho - I need to submit my receipt for the VIP chocolates to Dave before I forget or lose the receipts!!

The race this year was reduced to only the 5k, but we had a blast!! After breaking down the VIP room, I went to a friend's for a little sip and chat

before going home to finish the sides I was bringing to the family feast!!

The DGAFAOTH challenge started yesterday so I was up early to get in 1.2 treadmill miles and a quick strength workout before heading in to work -- loved having a Friday morning commute that felt like a weekend!!  Back at it tomorrow!!

denise