Masters Running

Not Necessarily the Monday Daily (Read 416 times)

I am still unable to run, or at the very least it would be unwise of me to do so.  Which means this is the fake Monday daily!  Yes, somebody that is actually running should start the "real" one for today.  But, I am in Europe for a few days and could not resist as it is the only time I am up early enough relative to the rest of the group to start one of these.  What can I say, I just could not resist!    Oh, I just said that.    I hope you all have a good day of runs and whatnot.  Now go read the real daily I am going to sleep off some of this jet lag. 

P.S. If you do not "get" the title you spend too little time wasting your time.  Good for you!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Hello Two Cat

Iffy weather here for us today. Maybe rain, could be strong thunderboomers. Might stay North, could be partly sunny.......

Just an easy 3.5 for me planned today. Running it at a recovery pace.......yesterdays run was quite a struggle although I did get some tempo miles in.....just not as much as I would have liked.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day !

dg.

'morning Twocat,  Slo_hand.... everybody.

No run today, so this is a fake post.

Tall,  I'm sorry too about your DNF, but agree it was a good call. Can't wait to see what you can do when you get all these things fixed!!    thanks so much for your morning post.    It was right along the lines of what I'd been thinking about (though without your eloquence)...  prompted by something Byll said Saturday.      (BTW Byllger.. no run yesterday???? ;-) )

I had a great time over the weekend, but will wait to say much about it till later.  

Has anybody heard from Busiman?  I wonder how he did in Vermont. 

((((Munch))))

Yesterday I ran 5 slow by the river.   Saturday was 6 ish.  

I really wanted to catch up this morning!  But it is way too nice outside, I want to go do some yard

work before all the neighbors are out & about.    Hope you all have a good Memorial day. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat – you don’t have to actually be running to start the daily.  You’re still a runner, even when you’re on the DL.

Deez4boyz – congratulations on your first Tri!  I am in awe of anyone who can complete those.  One of these years I may have to learn to swim (I am mostly a good sinker now) so I can try one.

Slo_Hand – beautiful DW and DD!

JLynne – congratulations on your 3rd AG!

3.15 recovery miles for me today, followed by the usual 30 minutes or so of weights and core work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Denise—finishing a tri is so impressive!

Slo—congrats on the graduation!

Congrats to the Saint for her longest run ever

wildchild—I meant to comment on your new trail discovery the other day; it sounded awesome.  I always love reading about your trail runs.

Recovery 5.2 miles today.  Already 75F and humid when I headed out but I had plenty of deer flies to keep me company.   I went very slowly.

After my tough run yesterday I felt weird for the rest of the day.  I knew it was going to be a warm and humid run and I brought extra fluids, so I wasn’tdehydrated.  I also didn’t have heat stroke symptoms.  But for the rest of the day it seemed that my body temperature regulation was totally out of wack.  I’d get chilled for a while, then 20 minutes later I’d be hot, then I’d be chilled again. This went on all day long and into the night.  Very strange and a new experience for me.  I seem to be back to normal today.

ETA:  seems to be a few bugs in the new software here....new paragraph doesn't work...line breaks are funky...bold font doesn't work...and spaces between words disappear.

Be safe. Be kind.

Ran a pleasant 7.3 miles this morning in continued, boring IRC. After the turnaround, I decided to run down off the old rail embankment to take a single-track that runs along the riverbank. Between not having been on the trail in a few years, not wearing my glasses, and normal trail and bank erosion, I was lucky to only make one wrong turn and stumble just a couple of times on tree roots. Plus I came within a couple inches of an unplanned dive into the river, but overall it added some variety to the run.

Except for the mile on the trail, I finished at about a 9:40 average, with the trail slog slowing my overall to more like 10:00.

Have a great Memorial Day, and always remember who it is for!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

SLO, thanks for that pic yesterday.  What beautiful women they are, and you must be so proud.

I am declaring myself healed from whatever troubled my back. I ran 5 yesterday and 5.4 today and then did a full flexibility set this morning with no discomfort, so back to normal running tomorrow.

Tramps, that is a common occurrence with many runners following a tough LR in the H&H.  Not sure what causes it, probably electrolyte imbalances that take awhile to reset themselves.  The body gets faked out trying to regulate your core temperature and it continues for a while.  It always scares me, but it goes away.   Spareribs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This morning, I headed down to Scarborough, Maine with my running partner and DD11.  We ran the Snowy Egret 5K to support the Audubon Center there.  It was a very fun race - a lot of it was on a gravel trail through the woods.  We ran up the trail and then turned around and came back, so it was fun seeing all the FAST guys and gals!  They are SO focused.  The temperature was about 60.  It would have been a little warm out on the road, so we were glad to be in the woods.  I did it in 33:00 - slower than last year, but coming back a little, at least.  I also warmed up 2.1 miles, so I got a total of 5.2 miles in for the day.  DD11 didn't feel too great, so she was slower than usual, at 28:26.  We had a wonderful breakfast at the Miss Portland Diner afterwards.  It is a PERFECT Maine day now - 69 degrees, trees finally out, sunny, and breezy.  Whoo hoo!

Happy Memorial Day.  I spent some time talking about it with DD11.  She didn't know the reason for the holiday.  She asked if we had any family members who died in a war, but the closest I could think of was my grandmother's older brother who was gassed in France during WW1 and died in his 30s.  From my grandmother's description of his suffering, it would have been easier for him if he had died during the war.

Mariposai

Have fun in Europe twocat, pictures please.

Mighty happy with the trichick adventure...hurray to you sistahhhhh.

tramp, did you check your HR? How are you doing today?

way to go the Saint!!!!!!!!

what is the update with Timbo?

I am back from the big city.I had a great time with my son, man that kid has expensive taste...just wait until he has to buy things with his own money.

4 recovery miles this early morning plus yoga. I will spend a few hours playing in the dirt this morning before it gets too hot. My zucchini seeds did not germinate...I thought zucchini always comes up like a weed.

Will go to a pool party this afternoon. Swimming should loosen up the tight muscles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wow pretty thin daily today.  A lot more interest in barbecue than posting, as it should be!  A quick mini catch up here:

breger1 congratulations on finishing your marathon.  FWIW, I took four stabs at a BQ and three really serious ones prior to making it.  A friend of mine had seven tries and as they say the eighth time is the charm!  He finally got to run Boston this year, something I have yet to do. 

Mariposai you sneaky 50k devil you!  One tweak in your RR thread is just not enough harassment!  Going to have to figure out how to keep pestering you about this for some time to come. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

twocat, just a few pictures of Europe is all I ask and you can hassrassssmmeeeeeee all you want.

Thanks for your nice compliments dear ones. You guys are so awesome. Off to a pool party.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

It's been a delightful holiday weekend. Today I ran the furthest I have since Boston and since my PF is 90% recovered. Ran 5.5 miles and had planned to do a couple of miles cycling but my foot is still a bit painful and so, I'll hold off for another day or so.

Yesterday Marj and I started our early morning volunteering at a running club water stop at the Run to Remember (5 miles and half marathon)- a great morning to spectate but a bit warm to run.

We then drove over to a nearby state park  where Marj's son and his wife and daughter had been camping and we were joined by M.'s daughter and her 2 kids and proceeded to have a delicious BBQ.

sorry - pics aren't working

<style> </style>
                          xor

12 easy miles on another picture perfect pacific northwest day.

This is a wonderful makeup for our crappy winter, which lasted until April.

King of PhotoShop

It's been a delightful holiday weekend. Today I ran the furthest I have since Boston and since my PF is 90% recovered. Ran 5.5 miles and had planned to do a couple of miles cycling but my foot is still a bit painful and so, I'll hold off for another day or so.

Yesterday Marj and I started our early morning volunteering at a running club water stop at the Run to Remember (5 miles and half marathon)- a great morning to spectate but a bit warm to run.

We then drove over to a nearby state park  where Marj's son and his wife and daughter had been camping and we were joined by M.'s daughter and her 2 kids and proceeded to have a delicious BBQ.

sorry - pics aren't working

Henry, why is biking more painful to the foot with PF than running? I would think it's the opposite.  But you know best.  I just wanted to say that I am happy this injury is moving out and you are back in the swing again.  Great to read of your volunteer efforts.  Spareribs

Henrun

Thanks Ribs. The pain really manifested when I last biked. The pressure on the pedal was excruciating, especially when I had to brake and stop at an intersection (since I generally stop with my left foot on the pedal-find it hard to do the opposite just out of habit).