Masters Running

40's on the Run -- Too Hot to Handle -- Week of 8/3 (Read 353 times)

Not much witty to say, so I'll count on Teddy Roosevelt for our inspiration this week: “Far better it is to dare mighty to win glorious triumphs though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much for they live in that gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” OK, the rest is up to you......
    Progress Trumps Pefection
      Evenin', Folks - Thanks for getting us started, Carol Been spending the day recovering from last night's celebrations. I'm such a lightweight, but I seemed to forget that last night. Ugh! I get stupid do that about once a year - and I always remember why the next day. Wink Be sure you check out the end of last week's thread. Kelly posted some great pics of her run. She is one tough chick! Okay, I need to go to bed. Nite!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for kicking off the week Carol. 7 miles yesterday morn about 70 deg on the way to 102. I was pretty sore believe it or not after that little race so cut my LR short. Had to laugh @ the little girls comment, I started out so fast just knew they would blow by me when I coasted midway. Awesome pics Kelly, looks like a life preserver and climbing harness could be standard equip for that one!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Folks! Thanks for the start Carol! Smile I kept hitting repeat on this one this morning....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaKqwvGa6Bw Joe: the coolie vest really does seem to help! & I'm really focusing on early am's & shade & trails w/creeks.... Leslie: Roll eyes Dead Tight lipped Big grin minor break in the heat wave today....it didn't start out @ 70*...& it's not up to 95* @ 9am!!! Smile (64* - 84*) Mairead & I loaded up (extra water, coolie vest...) & headed out for a 6am "migration"....that's where we go long w/lots of creek/shade breaks, etc.....12.59 miles AHR 143 (not many hills or direct sunlight) best run I've had in awhile! Smile yay! Yesterday: Doug took Mairead out for 40mins brisk (??pace) he doesn't really wear a watch - just running by feel - & he & Mairead are still working on coordinating their rhythm/pacing... (I really wanna see that one of these days.... Big grin) then he brought her home went over to the Highline Trail which has mile, 1/2 mile posts & thinks he went another 7 @ a slightly slower pace - said he was slowing down towards the end, but not maxed..probably 11 total...I think he'll have no problem w/the HM in Oct....maybe I should talk him into the full Wink he really reigns it in to run 10:30's w/me....we need to find a race that he & Jim can run together in...
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Mornin', Folks! Cindy - Martina McBride is one of my favorite singers. Such a powerful voice from such a tiny person. And Jimmy Buffett . . . well, how can you not like Jimmy Buffett. His live album, "Feeding Frenzy," is one of my all time favorites. Farmer Jim - See, you try to show up the youngins and look what happens. Tsk, tsk, tsk Wink I had planned to do a progression run this a.m. instead of my scheduled strides, but got to a flat spot about 2 miles in and thought, what the heck. So 5.11 miles total with the strides (1 min strides w/45 seconds rest in between) in the middle. Counting the 2.7 minutes of rest between the strides, finished it all in a respectable 54:10. Kelly - Don't know if you've read this, but check out www.ultrunr.com/crew.html - Crew Handlers and Pacing your Runner. Some of it's pretty funny, like CREW - An acronym for Crabby Runner, Endless Waiting. Later!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Thanks Leslie-a lot of it is so true! Fortunately, Jack doesn't get grumpy but I also kick him out of the aid stations pretty quickly so he doesn't have a chance to and so I can get back to my Sudoku game Big grin Sounds like Sat night was fun if you needed all Sunday to recover. I was half expecting some funny story from the evening. I still bust out laughing at the story you posted on CR last year? about getting home late, excessive marguritas and the coo coo clock! I'm sure everyone else will want to hear it! Big grin Sounds like everyone is doing well. I spent yesterday running in the rain-I'm so tired of the rain! Both pairs of trail shoes are soaked. The gardens look like jungles-weeds everywhere in both the vegetable and flowers, pumpkin vines are going everywhere, zukes are running amok etc. Hope you all are having a good day! Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                The only "funny" story is the poor folks we cornered at a bar called the Pearl. A lady came and sat on the benches by us and was sort of spreading out. Said she needed to save the seats for her hub and another couple. I asked her who her husband was and she pointed him out, his name was Joe. I walked up, poked him on the shoulder and told him he needed to get his a$$ over to his wife 'cause she was really POd at him for making her wait, then I went off to the bathroom. The look on his face was priceless. We ended up spending some time (how long, I have no idea . . .) with them, then we all went out in the alley to listen to a band that was playing, danced around a bit, then headed home. Let's just say from that point on it is a total and complete blur. The coo coo story. Didn't happen to me, but it is very funny. Here it is again, if anyone's wants to read it: Girls' Night Out The other night I was invited out for a night with "the girls." I told my husband that I would be home by midnight, "I promise!" Well, the hours passed and the margaritas went down way too easy. Around 3 a.m., a bit blitzed, I headed for home. Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hall started up and cuckooed 3 times. Quickly, realizing my husband would probably wake up, I cuckooed another 9 times. I was really proud of myself for coming up with such a quick-witted solution (even when totally smashed), in order to escape a possible conflict with him. The next morning my husband asked me what time I got in, and I told him midnight. He didn't seem disturbed at all. Then he said, "We need a new cuckoo clock." When I asked him why, he said, "Well, last night our clock cuckooed three times, then said, "Oh, shit," cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed another 3 times, giggled, cuckooed twice more, and then tripped over the cat and farted."

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Might find this web site helpful if your carbohydrate challenged like me: http://www.time-to-run.com/nutrition/carbos.htm

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Soooo if any of ya get really bored and want to run a 5k or 10k and take in the Chase County fair, listen to Alice Cooper, Mark Chesnut, or Miranda Lambert and meet the editor of Running Times Mag check this out. http://www.chasecountyfair.com/controller/1005/entertainment.html?inet=aD1yYWdyZWdudmF6cmFnLXlheCZyaD1mcHVycWh5ci15YXgmcnBsdWdpbi1hY3Rpb249cmVhZA for race details click on schedule - Sat Aug 16.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning all.... Thanks for starting us off Carol. That looks like loads of fun Jim. "Nebraskas Grandest of all Fairs"! I remember that cuckoo clock story from last year. Absolutely funny as all heck. I laugh everytime I read it. Glad you had fun Sat. night Leslie.....sorry about Sun. morning. Tight lipped Glad you had a great run Cindy. Did get another shorty run in Sun. morning. Started painting the living room and kitchen on Sat. and finished up when I got home yesterday. Well at least I thought I was done. I chose a rather dark color that requires a second coat so.....off to the paint store after work to get another gallon and slap on another coat. THEN I'll be done. Regarding school......I chose cosmetology school, better known as "beauty college" 30 yrs. ago instead of your traditional college. I became a hair dresser at a very young age, (19). So.....I'm rather starting from scratch with this school stuff. But I'm just taking it slow and getting in a couple of classes each semester until I'm either "over it" or I actually make something of it. Regarding my daughters' ex......yes, I said ex! She hasn't spoken to him since the whole argument thing! I could write a book about what's gone on in the last month with him and her but.....this is a running forum and not a soap box forum. Have a great day all........Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                        but.....this is a running forum and not a soap box forum.
                        Hey - We love gossip and dirt! Okay, maybe I'm only speaking for myself . . . Wink Farmer Jim - Looks like fun, but, alas, I don't believe I can get the time off from work. Have a corn dog for me! (I love a good corn dog. Yum!) 45 minutes of stationary bike riding (oh, my new seat Yes ) and 45 minutes of core/strength. My legs are pleasantly pooped. Later!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- Carol- thanks for starting us up.You'll have to just get used to that dreadmill until your heat wave passes. Jewels- so glad that bad boyfriend thing is past you.See that,you did whip some sense into DD afterall! Good going on your schoolwork too,whereever it may lead... Jim- can't make it either, but it sure sounds like fun! Leslie- that joke is a pissah! Btw- anyone that has a "Joisey" accent is from north Jersey or NY,we don't really talk that way in central/south Jersey.However ,and Kelly can attest to this,the folks from New England have a very funny accent. That's where I got "pissah" from. As in "I'll paak da caa in Haavaaad Yaad". I have 3 sisters and their families who live in NH and they all talk that way. I really like it. They also say"wicked" alot. As in "Kelly did wicked good in her last race!" or "that was a really wicked loss by the Pats in the Super Bowl" Kelly-hope you don't take offense with the above, I really do like the accents and New England in general. Hope the rain has stopped. About your race- what do you use as fuel?How often?Do you change your shoes after the swim?I saw on the film runners "running" in the river.How long is that? Those kids on Friday night are probably still talking about the "fast old guy" that blew by them, but there was a price to pay. I paid for it on my long run on Sunday morning. Managed to do 17.1m but quite slowly. Next time, I'll just have to keep my silly ego in check... Roll eyes

Kelly - Just watched the video of your last race. Man, what a monster! The ending of the video was pretty cool, too. Big grin

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Woohoo, second coat of paint done! I just read the cuckoo story AGAIN......cracks me up everytime! Jewels
                              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ultrachick

Joe-No offense taken about the accents. You must be referring to southern NH (I grew up in Concord, NH myself) where there would be that Boston influence. Here in northern VT the accent is a bit different-maybe closer to how people from Maine speak but you also get the Canadian influence where they speak English with a slight French Canadian accent. As far as fuel for my race-I had Amino Vital Endurance Formula in Fruit Punch. It has a higher level of elctrolytes in it compared to their regular formula. It's not a sugary tasting drink and even though the flavor is fruit punch it's still a clear color. I wear a fuel belt with four 8 oz bottles. I started with all four full of Amino Vital and didn't drink much up to the second aid station which includes about a mile and half of running upstream. Funny how when you're in the water you're not that thirsty. I drank more hiking up Jay which at the top is mile 9 and when I reached aid station 4 (maybe mile 13-14) I had one empty bottle I filled with water and from then on kept at least one bottle filled with just water. I eat Vanilla GUs and I tried to eat at least one an hour but I wasn't always paying attention to the time. I made myself a pb&j sandwich and by aid station 5 at mile 19 was hungry so I ate half of it there and I had started having a little bit of coke too (starting before hiking up Jay). We buy the little 8oz bottles since they travel well. This is the only time I drink coke. Smile The food at this race is nothing to brag about so I don't rely on it. I ate the other half of my sandwich at aid station 6 (mile 24) which is after the river crossing withthe rope and that's where I changed my shoes and socks. I emptied the mud out of them before going up Jay as well. I wear Montrail Hardrocks to protect my toes in the river parts wich total about 4-5 miles now-he's added more over the past 3 years I've done this race. Then I change to Brooks ASRs for the last 9 miles in which mud is worst I have to go through. Jack was feeding me ECaps too at the aid stations and at the last one with about 4 miles to go I had 2 small potatoes with my coke. Last year my time was 7:10, the year before 7:42 and this year 7:16 however this year the mud was much deeper as well as the river and beaver pond. Have a good night-it's time for bed! Kelly
                                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.