Masters Running

Sundaily, 7.22.18 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Twocat, I can't believe that the answer for you is to give up running. Follow DW's advice and see what you can learn about what is going on.

Great job, C-R!!

We made it to Castine (ME) yesterday afternoon just in time for the opening of the closing exhibit of the plein air painting event that had been going on in town for the past 3 days. So we dropped all our stuff at our rental place, put away the groceries, and walked over to take a gander at the artwork. We came out with two paintings that we both really like.

5.3 hard RW miles this morning in 59° temps. Hard because it is very flat back home, but this town is almost nothing but hills. I'll be used to them by the end of the week when it is time to go back home.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Nothing workout wise for me today unless I change my mind and go for a walk later. I've been up since 5:30 to do one of my famous software updates for work.  It's going good so far.

But I saw it was Pi Approximation Day and it made me think of Wildchild. So, Happy Pi Approximation Day, Wild.

22nd day of the 7th month: 22 / 7 = 3.14285714286

MTA: Install was smooth so I went ahead and ran 2 miles in a light mist.

Good morning Jay, Dave and those folks taking a more leisurely start to their Sunday

Your vacation adventures always sound like the start of a great novel Jay. Where will the new art work be placed?

I'll bet early Sunday mornings are a great time for software updates Dave. Hope you get motivated for a run later.

Twocat, I feel for you. I'm dealing with the same problems. I'm sure Leslie is thinking the same. Your wife gave you some good advice. Don't throw in the towel yet.

Good luck today Tet! You too Erika!

I hope your sermon goes well this morning Mike.

That was a lot of miles in a relatively short period of time C-R. You must have slept well last night.

We went to Milwaukee for a few days. Went to a Brewers game and watched the Milwaukee Air Show. Sitting for an extended period is still causing me great discomfort, and I'm thinking the needle fenestration procedure didn't do anything to alleviate my problems.

It's raining here right now - hard enough that I didn't venture out but did do 30 minutes of weights and core. We have a 10:30 tee time for 18 holes so I'm hoping it clears up by then. On the good news front, we got an offer on our house yesterday

Joe618

Mike, hope the sermon goes well!   I'm off to hear one soon, myself.

"Made 35.25 in just over 7 hours today. Lots of learning on this one. Going to bed early.   C-R"

I ran the same event with C-R yesterday and I ran 11 full loops of 5K each for (counting on fingers...) 55K total.   Garmin showed 34.8 miles, had 12 minutes to spare.    I had hoped to run 50K, so I was very pleased to have beat that by a full hour and had time for one more loop.    Looks like C-R and I must have been close to each other but we didn't meet up...there were a lot of folks.   The race was about 20 degrees cooler than it had been the past two years (running in 95F is no picnic...) and that helped a lot.   Also had a lot of rain...roughly half of the 8 hours had some level of mist/drizzle/rain/downpour in the air.   The trail portions of the full 5K loop got a little soupy after the downpours but I treated it as a trail race and just ran through the puddles.       I had made some significant tactical errors in running this race the past two years which I corrected this year and it worked.   So much of an ultra is about hydration and eating smart.   Those baggies of cantelope with salt which I packed turned out to be really good.   Managed to sleep OK, though I'm pretty stiff this morning.   Will get out for an easy walk this afternoon.

Enjoy the vacation, Jay!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good job, Joe!  Sounds like you executed the race well.

3.5 miles this morning.  Slightly cooler, but still humid.

Tracking a friend through her first Ironman (Lake Placid) which will be touch and go for her meeting the bike cutoff.  Fingers crossed.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

TW--cool about your football friend from so long ago.

Yeah, Mike's totally over that competitive stuff. LOL! 

Norm--that's a long day.

Joe--you too!

Jlynne--it's unfortunate that you haven't gotten any relief.

Sorry to hear about the setback, Twocat.

I'm not a good swimmer (but I'm a very good "not drowner."  Definite open water swim anxiety also.  I've found (by accident) that coming up with some sort of mantra and repeating it in my head helped me a lot with the anxiety.

"Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown..." 

Tribee's out of town so the plan was for a 40-ish mile solo ride. Beautiful sunny morning after yesterday's heavy rains.  Got about 15 miles in and it suddenly got cloudy and very dark. Uh oh. I decided to play it safe and called it a day after 23 miles. It was raining before I finished driving the 3 miles home. Right decision.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Good runs for many.

JLynne- sorry that the needling hasn’t helped yet. Don’t give up. Good luck on the sale.

Had a quick overnight to the Berkshires to catch a world premiere musical in Williamstown and good dining. 2 mile power walk this morning with a bit of rain followed by stretches and weights. Leaving early Tuesday to the Washington area for a 4 day visit with family, a Red Sox game in Baltimore and a bit of running on the mall.

spacityrunner

Got out early and met my trail pal for 4 walking miles on the mountain. Sure wish I was running but I’ll take what I can get.

Trails Rock!

pfriese

Morning all.

Back from a 2 week vacation very early this morning. We took a cruise to Bermuda & the Caribbean. I did a lot of laps on the cruise ship track at 3 laps/mile. I think we missed the hot weather here. This morning's 12 mile run was pleasant with temps in the mid 70s.

Paul

good job, joe!

2cat and others with nagging injuries that prevent running much; sometimes you need to take a break in a relationship.Take up cycling, hiking, crossfit, or something until next Spring, and then see if running is ready to take you back.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe and C-R - well done!

Tet and Erika - good luck today!

Jlynne - I hope your house sells quickly for you.

High 60's-low 70's for my run today, which was very pleasant.  16 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The sermon I gave, this morning, was well received.  I'm not sure that it was as good as people said it was but I appreciated their comments.

I ran 6 miles, today, to get over 40 miles for the week since my marathon in June.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

C-R

Hey all

Sorry I missed you Joe. My tent was behind the Carmel Runners tent and I was just trying to move forward. Things went off the rails at 7 hours. Couldn't get my heart rate down so I decided to stop and get ready for another day. I managed a bit over 35 miles and feel I could have made 40 if I did some things different. Next time. Still lots of fun with lots of running friends.

Good running Joe.

How was the air show?

Glad the sermon went well Mike

3.1 very calm recovery miles today.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Joe618

Hey all

Sorry I missed you Joe. My tent was behind the Carmel Runners tent and I was just trying to move forward. Things went off the rails at 7 hours. Couldn't get my heart rate down so I decided to stop and get ready for another day. I managed a bit over 35 miles and feel I could have made 40 if I did some things different. Next time. Still lots of fun with lots of running friends.

Yeah, sorry I missed you too, Norm.   You had mentioned a Notre Dame flag earlier but I didn't see one.   Lots of tents crammed in there tightly with the rainfall.    Funny things happen in an ultra and I understand what your HR did to you...I've had that happen before.   Smart of you to shut it down and call it good.   I didn't have a tent and my pal from Lafayette and I just set up my chair and cooler along the wall of the Rec Center.   One set of folks booted us, not friendly...we ended up next to a team of middle-aged Carmel women who had run Boston and two 20-something marathon newbies.  Much more fun talking with them.   Saw the results this afternoon and was astounded to see I actually won my AG and the RCCC Super Geezer Master Division...and there were actually 11 in that group.  Didn't feel like I had won anything, so we split right after the 8pm finish.   I emailed RD Todd to see if he'd mail it to me.

Mike, glad the sermon went well!!  Good job getting up there.   We had a substitute preacher this morning too and he had a hilarious joke about stand-in ministers.   Which set him up well to have folks listen.

Paul, welcome back!  I liked the photo you posted on our 2018 page.  3 laps/mile is not bad at all on a cruise ship.   And you can't beat the scenery, eh?   How did you like Bermuda?   We spent a really nice week there four years ago (I remember...it was the prior World Cup while we were there...).   Did you take a bus into Kingston from the area where the cruise boats dock??

Have a great week everyone.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

SteveP

MMMmmmm - Pi

Wow, Joe. That's very  impressive.

Tramps, that sounds like the mantra for my first tri.

MikeE, I like listening to a different priest on occasion. I can hear something familiar with a slightly different inflection and have an "Ah ha" moment.

C-R, that's pretty heavy duty as well.

DW, Tag and I had a nice two mile hike.

SteveP