Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 9.19.17 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4.3 miles before a trip to Albany, NY)
    Dave (4.06 uninspired morning miles)
    Tomwhite (40 min. pool run with letters)
    Tet (5 rainless mile morning ‘mute)
    Twocat (6 speedy listening miles with the training partner)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 16 post-work bike miles in near 90°Wink

Mike (10 miles, including 6X1 'strength' miles)

Spacityrunner (2.3 lunchtime, pre-ice cream miles)

Enke (running a few blocks, racing a bus and winning)

Evanflein (5.2 end-of-day miles on tired legs)

KSA, your son is quite accomplished, especially considering (or maybe because of) his growing up challenges. He must have a heck of a good mother. His Tremblant story is a bit scary, yes?

Sorry the adoption event didn’t produce better results, Tammy, but good for you for being there. Enjoy the lull at work while it lasts.

Dave, complicated work is always easier if no one is looking over your shoulder. I’m glad you have your priorities right about all-hours work.

I hope Pickle’s reading is a glitch too, Tomwhite!

3 meetings in a day is probably 2 too many, Marj.

Good mute work, Tet.

Twocat, I also entered a virtual challenge last January that required running/walking outside every day of the month. I was very slow (recovering from a hamstring pull), but it helped me recover and get through the month. I’ll probably do that challenge again this year. I'm not all that sorry I missed the monsoon year for the Reach The Beach relay, although it would make for some great story-telling.

Sorry about your August in Sept. weather, Cat.

Sounds like it was a great weekend, Deeze. Good luck working the 3 12's.

Good strength workout, Mike.

Great way to follow up your run, Spacityrunner.

Happy to read your posts about any runs, Enke. I'm glad you had a good first day at the new/old job. I hope #2 goes at least as well.

It is OK to take it easy for a few days after a marathon, Evanflein - you've earned at least that much.

Had a great and inspiring 65+ Runner’s Club luncheon meeting with the ever-gracious Marj & Henrun. I was truly humbled to receive the RD award from such a terrific group of excited, motivated, and competitive runners, but I still don't know why they chose me. With Dave McGilvray (RD for the Boston Marathon) in the room, I felt incapable of saying anything meaningful about my RD experiences, but I plowed on anyway. Afterward, the Club president asked if I would help them with the Club race for next year, so I guess I said something that struck a chord.

4.5 clunky RW miles this morning in 61° with intermittent mist. I ran parts of my workout yesterday, which was my first time running in months. This morning, my quads were telling me they didn't have fond memories of yesterday's workout. They'll get over it.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

No run today, but had to drop this in for TW.

No automatic alt text available.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Congratulations, Jay.  Well deserved..

5.2 gorgeous miles from my hotel on the bike path down to Lake George and then back in the other direction.  Lots of uphill pulls.  I haven't spent much time in upstate NY and today is just beautiful.  I'm glad I'm a runner because I wouldn't have wanted to miss this morning's outing.  Off to work now.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

..I thanks ye stumpy//............now, Over the Side Wi' Ya........

..............aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ETA-

we decided to do my surgery THIS year if possible

so

am skipping work-out to see if the Dr gets back to me

..........pps.......

.........aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, folks!!  I took a sanity day off yesterday, and I think it was definitely a good choice.  It was nice to just let the world roll along without me for a bit.  I got a few "Can you do this for me" emails, and my response was "Yes, I'll do that tomorrow'.  Woo-hoo!!  Of course now I have to live up to that response ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

deez4boyz it is like your job is relay up-sleep-up-up-sleep-up-up-up practice every week!

spacityrunner what flavor? You left out one of the more important details. How am I to know how jealous to be if I do not know the flavor! 

enkephalin running for the bus counts.

evanflein did you do a long run a couple of days ago? I forget? Not too hilly I hope. 

coastwalker do you generally toss in a few running miles. I cannot recall seeing you post any running miles in the past. Then again I have a memory like a steel sieve, so that does not mean much.

This morning was supposed to be just awful. The forecast said high winds and then by 9am, high winds and heavy rain. Instead it was not so bad. Mostly cloudy and some wind, but not that high. As of now the whole storm we were warned about may never come to pass. I got out there for 14 miles. About 9 miles in I thought I could get in at under a 10 minute pace and did. Finished in a 9:54 pace. Not my fastest ever, but a lot faster than recently. I felt stronger and faster than I have since about August 10 at 2pm. Yes, the fateful moment that started my "wonderful" adventure. At least it looks like I am recovering bit-by-bit.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Congrats, Jay.  I'm sure you deserve it.

2cat--great to see you coming back strong.

Forgot to post my 20-mile ride this morning. It’s done.

No pirate talk from me but if you want a very good pirate movie, I can recommend the Danish film, “A Hijacking.” Both moving and a taut thriller.

Speaking of recommendations… I know quite a few of you are Facebook users; I think you’ll find this terrific NYT article and short video on Facebook to be pretty interesting.

Back to it…

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

3.1 miles this morning. I almost let my worries about work keep me from getting out there. I forced myself to the park, but even then I started out in a walk thinking I may as well go back home and have some coffee and get started at work. But I forced myself into a jog and from there I was feeling pretty good and ended up having a sproinky run.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

3.1 miles this morning. I almost let my worries about work keep me from getting out there. I forced myself to the park, but even then I started out in a walk thinking I may as well go back home and have some coffee and get started at work. But I forced myself into a jog and from there I was feeling pretty good and ended up having a sproinky run.

Excellent!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Very moving, jay.

Thanks.

Good recovery for Dave, too.

Not for me, though, as after missing out on yesterday's brief downpour, I vowed it wouldn't happen again but, after hearing the sound of rain splattering on the roof for the first time in over three months, I was still too late out the door and greeted only by a remnant rainbow for an uneventful fiver that did little in helping me find out if the rainless summer might have me becoming a believer in someone's running rule no. 1 too but I doubt it. Once a webfoot, always a webfoot.  Besides, if I didn't run in the rain, I would have missed out on all four of last fall's marathons, if not most of them in my life.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

spacityrunner what flavor? You left out one of the more important details. How am I to know how jealous to be if I do not know the flavor! 

Oh dear, I did not mean to cause you any more pain than you're already in...so let me be clear about this acquisition

4 half gallons, one of each

Salted Carmel

Vanilla Bean

Dutch Chocolate

Vanilla/Chocolate combo

Would you like to come over for some ice cream????  

Trails Rock!

TammyinGP

Oh dear, I did not mean to cause you any more pain than you're already in...so let me be clear about this acquisition

4 half gallons, one of each

Salted Carmel

Vanilla Bean

Dutch Chocolate

Vanilla/Chocolate combo

Would you like to come over for some ice cream????  

mmmmm, salted caramel!!! 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mmmmm, salted caramel!!! 

Hmmm, reminds me of something.

Along with the "nori" seaweed ones I liked best of all,

salted caramel potato chips were a staple in marathons in Japan.

Maybe the Lays ones in the copy/paste photo (if it works) are over here not too. .

Image result for japanese salted caramel potato chips

ps - they have chocolate caramel too, to say nothing of coffee, curry, wasabi, peach, plum, etc. etc.  Not so much going on in the ice cream department though, . . . . unless you like strawberry cheesecake.

ps enke - do you go across the bridge?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I saw some weird flavors of Lays chips not too long ago, just can't imagine. Bleh.

5.4 miles today, and wow what a difference a few degrees and a little breeze makes! Temps were maybe 48° and a little breeze from the north, holy cow my hands froze! It sure looked warmer out than that. Must remember to pack gloves these days.

If you're interested, I posted a link to the Drone footage from the Equinox, and the "relive" link to my run in the race reports thread from last weekend. Big grin

Hmmm, reminds me of something.

Along with the "nori" seaweed ones I liked best of all,

salted caramel potato chips were a staple in marathons in Japan.

Maybe the Lays ones in the copy/paste photo (if it works) are over here not too. .

Image result for japanese salted caramel potato chips

ps - they have chocolate caramel too, to say nothing of coffee, curry, wasabi, peach, plum, etc. etc.  Not so much going on in the ice cream department though, . . . . unless you like strawberry cheesecake.

ps enke - do you go across the bridge?

hmmmmm - I love salted caramel anything but chips sound a little strange!!

KSA - my son did the full at Tremblant in 2015 - he was amazing on the swim and bike but kind of bonked on the run and fell back in his ae group quite a bit. Since then he has done another 70.3, but also was married last Sept and they just bought a house they are doing a lot of work to so I don't think distance racing is in his near future.

Enke - glad to hear you are back at your new/old job

TwoCat -- yes, the relay sounds like my job pattern and even my job itself!!  Glad you are feeling on the road to recovery!!

Jay - I like those challenges when they include walking or other type of activity every day .... have done the run every day challenge from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day and don't think I will do it again!!

5 mile progression run with a .2 cool down this morning for me before work. I have slowed down since my hip injury, but was happy with my run this morning. Walked the 1.1 mile from my garage to the hospital and was almost hit by a bus AND a car!! I misread the walk signal at a 4 way intersection and nearly was nailed!! Who said running is dangerous??

denise