Masters Running

Welcome to December! 12.1.17 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Though you were rid of me for a few days, eh? Not just yet...

Thursday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.4 miles, including 3.1 morning miles + 2.3 post-work TM miles)
    Henrun (2 cold, clear, cloudless morning miles, with 1.5 mile walk to follow)
    Quickadder (8.5 5AM miles R 9:08 pace in 61° temps)
    Holly (4.1 TM miles)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles in warm/humid conditions)
    Jlynne (5.1 miles + weights & core)
    Tomwhite (3X20 min walking)
    Opus77 (5 miles at 8:54 pace with mid-60s temps)
    Wildchild (2.4 EZ miles for a monthly prime)
    Mike (6 miles, just because)
    Bioguy (5 post-work miles)
    Deeze (4.2 late afternoon miles)
    Surly Bill (7.3 pre-sundown miles in temps in the 60s, at 8:08 pace)
    Evanflein (4.4 miles with new headlamp batteries in -6° temps)

Tammy, I have a lacrosse ball that I roll on regularly to break up scar tissue and to help stretch muscles in my glutes and hamstrings. It hurts so good, and it does a lot of good!

I'm sorry about the challenges that Surly Bill, and especially Deeze are having with respective kids. Surly Bill, you can lead a kid to a track, but you can't make them run (or something like that). Hopefully, your intros to various sports and good example will rub off in time. Deeze, I am heqartbroken for you and Justin that you both have to go through this. I hope he can find a way to stick with his meds and get better focused on himself, and I know you are doing all that any one person could do to help that happen. I think Tet has a good suggestion to get the HIPPA release when you can so you won't  be left in the dark again about what is going on with Justin if he needs to be hospitalized again.

At my morning meeting yesterday, I was invited to join another group - the Coastal Adaptation Workgroup. I’ve collaborated with them on various projects over the last few years, and they do great work. I have too much else on my plate to take something else on, but this is too good a group to ignore. So it goes.

I woke up late this morning, presumably because I needed it, and it was raining when I woke up. So I'm starting December with a goose egg. But I'm taking my workout gear when we head out to NJ in a few hours, so I'm planning/hoping on getting in a good workout or two while we're there.

Have a greta Friday and weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Safe travels.

3 miles on the treadmill to start December.  It was fine outside, but I felt a little dizzy when I woke up from the cold meds and the cold, so I opted to stay inside.  I now know all about the local traffic and weather.

My daughter got the Interim Rector job which gets her a year or two here in Nashville with a full time job as she starts her life over.  Divorce papers about to be signed.  She (and we) is so happy and relieved.  She loves the church- she interned there when she was in divinity school.  We move her into her new apartment this weekend.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning Jay and RunnerKSA. Thanks for starting us off with your great recap Jay. You realize that when you're gone, we do "rock, paper scissors" to see who gets stuck starting the daily   That's so great that you took it upon yourself to get on another committee.  Have a great weekend.

Sorry you're still feeling the effects of that cold RunnerKSA. Hope you feel better by later in the day so you can enjoy your weekend.

Aww Deez - I wish things were going better for Justin. Mental illness is such a sad thing. I had 2 nephews and a niece that struggled with manic depression/bipolar issues. I can relate to some of things that Justin is doing, just from my experience with these 3 poor kids. I wish there were some answers.

You are tough Erika.  I can't imagine dealing with those kinds of temps and that much snow already. And you feel like a slacker with only 160 miles this month? I WISH I could get 160 miles in a month!  I guess everything is relative.

Yep - Crocs for the locker room Tom. Get in that pool!

Just under 5 1/2 miles this morning. 26° with no wind and clear skies and an absolutely beautiful sunrise as I did the last half mile. I've noticed that my running pace and walking pace are getting closer   Just trying to remember to be grateful that I'm still out there. No wonder we love running so much, right Tet?

Have a great Friday everyone!

C-R

Morning All, Nice recap Jay. Careful about spreading yourself too thin. You won't have time to do the recaps and where would we all be then. 

Deez - my heart breaks reading your post. I cannot imagine anguish. Sadly a dear friend of ours struggles with similar issues with their child. No easy answer but will keep you in our thoughts for a positive resolution.

Surly Bill - change the wifi password and only return limited use upon completion of some outdoor activity. Worked to get my kiddo to clean his room. Hopefully they will find something that fuels their fire. Until then all you can do is lead by example.

Glad things are settling for your daughter Karen and she gets to stay in Nashvegas.

Busy travel week but successful. Managed to keep the streak alive but getting on a treadmill at 9pm after starting the day in NY was a touch one. Ugh. So good nights rest and an easy 3.1 to start with a double later today which I am looking forward to running. Annual checkup today so I get to hear about my slightly elevated cholesterol, slightly high weight and that dreaded procedure we all so enjoy after 50. I will  not say its name but you all know what I mean.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Deez—that’s really heartbreaking.  I hope you’re getting support IRL during all of this.

Opus—hope you’re able to get some relief from the sleep issues.

That being said three wonderful holidays are occurring in the next four weeks – in order of occurrence, Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa. Enjoy them!

And happy Milad un Nabi (or Malwid) which is today!  (That's why I'm a fan of "Happy Holidays;" it's inclusive.)

Oy vey! In this era of high-profile bigotry, I’m kvelling that our mishpocheh is sensitive to possible instances of it.  But Surly Bill seems like a mensch, not a putz or a schmuck. His self-deprecating joke came complete with caveats and a footnote!  (Context is everything.) Isn’t parents kvetching about getting their kids off their tuches is a pretty universal issue?  It would be a shande to curb his unique sense of humor.*

Leslie—Isn’t that the evil “before” Grinch?  It’s creeping me out a little.

Happy Grinch.

Our big news is that TriBee is officially “retired.”  Her last day of work was yesterday.  But this is short-lived; she’s already contracted with a former boss—through her newly-formed LLC--to do a few months of data analysis work starting Monday. She works well with him, it’s an interesting project, and she’s well-compensated, so what’s not to like? I’m sure she’ll enjoy the new freedom from the drudgery side of meetings and administrative stuff as she’s able to focus on the stuff she enjoys.  All of this will be an adjustment for both of us.

4 mile run on another beautiful morning.

Have a great weekend.

*  With apologies in advance for my decades-old, amateurish, butchered Yiddish. Yep, I'm a goy.

Be safe. Be kind.

...guys//......Thanks for all the Suggestions.....

.......but it's the ''Pants and Underwear'' part that's stopping me,

I can't reach down

to put them on without danger of dislocating the Hip....not to mention that ''Mesh'' in Men's SwimmingTrunks

and,

No, I'm not gonna wear a Mu-Mu

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Since I am taking a vacation day I headed to the park this morning and ran 8 (which is currently my new "long" run distance.)  I was feeling a little low on energy today and mixed in some walking but I had mentally committed to myself that I was going 8 today so I stuck it out to the end.

33° and very heavy fog this morning.

Goals for today:

- Sew up a hole in one of my pairs of winter running pants

- Fix the toilet in the upstairs bathroom. When you flush it, the tank won't refill smoothly.  The water turns on and off until it fills.  The  mechanism is not the floating ball that I am familiar with and I am the furthest thing from a handy person so these tasks always come with a high risk of making the situation worse before it gets better, but I usually come through in the end.

- Get back into reading the Jefferson biography that I haven't touched the last 4-5 days

Tramps - My wife retired 2 years ago and I can hear her upstairs clicking away on the computer. She has been doing contract work the last year and a half. Basically back at her old job but on special projects and only 20 hours a week.

C-R

...guys//......Thanks for all the Suggestions.....

.......but it's the ''Pants and Underwear'' part that's stopping me,

I can't reach down

to put them on without danger of dislocating the Hip....not to mention that ''Mesh'' in Men's SwimmingTrunks

and,

No, I'm not gonna wear a Mu-Mu

Kilts - worked for my family for hundreds of years. Sadly my kids and DW are frightened of me when I do wear mine. Not sure why.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Henrun

(((Deez))) it’s not easy but you’re doing all you can do.Take Tet’s advice.

Surly Bill- I couldn’t motivate my DD and she hasn’t motivated my now adult DGS,s

tomwhite-patience, patience-after my knee replacement I was just as frustrated.

Tramps- your “broken” Yiddish is better than mine and that’s all I spoke for the first 5 yearsof my life. Although it’s improving since I attend a once monthly Yiddish conversation group.

No running today-only indoor cycling and yoga.

Tramps

Kilts - worked for my family for hundreds of years. Sadly my kids and DW are frightened of me when I do wear mine. Not sure why.

Henry--don't tell anyone; I had to google the spelling of a couple of those. 

Dave--if your toilet has a "pier"-type float, like below, (instead of an arm), wipe it down well to remove any possible mineral deposits and check to see that the float moves up and down smoothly. It may be that simple.  The other common toilet issue is the "flap" or washer wearing out.

Good luck.

Be safe. Be kind.

Kilts - worked for my family for hundreds of years.

... I've got the Legs for it.....

Thanks, Norm.  It's a relief.  It's not easy being a young, female liberal priest in this Diocese!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...actually that reminded me of JJJesse, who DID run in Kilts..........anybody heard from him??

========

...40's and cold

.....60-min outside,,,,,,,,switched to my OldOrthotics and that seemed to help on the hill inclines

.............good Running to Ya......

Marathon Maniac #957

Oy vey! In this era of high-profile bigotry, I’m kvelling that our mishpocheh is sensitive to possible instances of it.  But Surly Bill seems like a mensch, not a putz or a schmuck. His self-deprecating joke came complete with caveats and a footnote!  (Context is everything.) Isn’t parents kvetching about getting their kids off their tuches is a pretty universal issue?  It would be a shande to curb his unique sense of humor.*

and +1

{{{Deez}}}

RunnerKSA - It is good to hear your DD is coming through this well.

TomWhite -

Jay - You are amazing with all you do!

After the super-busy-and-stressful last week of November, I decided to take a mental health day today.  Of course, since I worked 38 hours in the first 4 days of the week, I only have to use 2 hours of PTO.

Why is it that when you are salary, you don't get paid any extra if you work 2 hours over, but you have to use PTO of you work 2 hours under?

3 miles on the TM, followed by 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

tomwhite - soon you won't even remember the inconvenience

ksa - nice for your daughter

tramps - snort and congrats to tribee!

holly - you deserve some time off!

jay - enjoy NJ - hope the traffic isn't too bad in either direction

6 miles in glorious weather this morning - everyone was smiling

good luck to racers this w/e and happy running/walking to everyone

marj