Masters Running

Boston, 2014 (Read 84 times)

coastwalker

I just found the link to this story on FB, and I love it!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-04-16/bombings-heighten-runners-commitment-to-2014-boston-marathon

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I just found the link to this story on FB, and I love it!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-04-16/bombings-heighten-runners-commitment-to-2014-boston-marathon

Jay

I think it's a real link now (I hope)

And not very surprising to hear.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Harriet and I were thinking of skipping next year (we qualified in October, and she requalified on Monday).  But now we're thinking we want to go back.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

SteveP

Marathoners have many different personality traits.Being timid or easily deterred is not among those traits.

SteveP

#artbydmcbride

Everybody is going to want to run next year.  I hope my puny qualifying margin can still get me in (unlikely)

Runners run

lamerunner

Great story, Jay, and not surprising. I found myself feeling much the same way. I ahve run Boston 20 times or so and after last year had pretty much sworn off it. I don't know that my knee will tolerate enough running to do another marathon, but I am sure more motivated to see what I can do, even if it means running as a charify runner.

Everybody is going to want to run next year.  I hope my puny qualifying margin can still get me in (unlikely)

Ilene, I'm in the same boat.  But we have a few months here to improve our BQ times!

pfriese

I'll be trying for a BQ time this year, too. If I can't qualify, I'll try for a charity spot. If none are available, I'll definitely be there cheering.

Paul

I had planned to make 2013 my one and only Boston marathon.  There are a lot of marathons I want to run and not enough years of life to run them in!  But . . . now I want to run it one more time out of defiance.  But, yes another but, I would need to requalify and that seems unlikely to happen prior to when 2014 registration will close out.  That means the soonest I could sign up would be for 2015 race if all goes well.  I really wish I had the option for 2014.  I am not 100% sure I would use it but it would be nice to have the option to consider it.  Nevertheless, I am going to give requalifying my best shot and see what happens.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Cannot possibly train for and run a BQ by September and stay physically whole and no less sane than I am now.  Could be persuaded to hang out at the top of Heartbreak, though.

Mariposai

2015 looks more promising for me since 2014 will find me visiting my son (which means budget for travel dollars will be used up for this) who is being assigned to go to Africa for 2 years as a Peace Corps Volunteer.Surprised) I guess an African marathon is in my destiny next year, God willing.

Funny, count me as one of those who never saw me wanting to run another Boston since my dream was always to run Boston once, considering the many other places I want to travel to run..but now this has changed.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Yeah, nice thought but I agree with Twocat's original thought that there are so many other marathons I want to run. It's so expensive to get there and run Boston... but I could see doing the cheering at mile 20 thing with Mustang Sal if I could tie it to another nearby race in a state I still need. But I do love Boston, it's one of my favorite marathons and I love the town.

Has BAA said anything about what it will offer those who couldn't finish?

TriBee2010

Mariposi,

Comrades!

PS What happened to your butterfly?

Queen of 3rd Place

Has BAA said anything about what it will offer those who couldn't finish?

They were able to pick up their medals on Tuesday. It wasn't well announced so I don't know if many people took advantage of that option (Ilene). Maybe they will offer people the chance to have them mailed? This year's medal with the new unicorn design is nice!

Ex runner

#artbydmcbride

Ilene, I'm in the same boat.  But we have a few months here to improve our BQ times!

So true!

Does anyone have a good plan that will make me 15 minutes faster in just a few months?   Big grin

Runners run