Masters Running

Wed Feb 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 611 times)

Probably my last check in before I leave for Arizona. Weather forecast is looking great! High 70s/low 50s. Last night I ended up running 3 warm-up, 2x3 hill repeats with the group --not pushing the last repeat too much -- 1 mile cool-down. DS still home stick. Terrible cough; sickest he's been in a long time. I know he's sick when he's on the couch and not wanting to even play on the computer. Sad In and out running last minute errands and picked up more sore throat spray and cold medicine for him; immunity booster stuff for me. Haven't even started packing, but here's the list of van decorations I've either picked up the last few days at Archie McPhee's or had a fellow Hood to Coaster dig out of storage for me. Archie's is a place to behold for all the absurdly fun stuff you don't need. Big grin http://www.mcphee.com/ Somehow this needs to fit into my duffle bag along with all the other gear: eta: one pair of giant gonch, er, underwear! (can't believe I forgot to list that) Two smoking babies Two dashboard devil ducks on springs (boooooiiiing) An assortment of candy wrapper tattoos (favorites: Sugar Babies and Junior Mints) One Bacon hanging air freshener One Corn Dog hanging air freshener Two "No. 1" fingers (mini sized) Misanthrope bracelets (Live Strong style); one for each van; possible usage -- pass around based upon who's the pi$$iest at any given time (I could be a strong contender by mid-day Day 2) Skulls bracelets (Lance style, too); one for each van -- possible "kick ass" wear for the runner heading out Package of Stickman in Peril reflective stickers. 20 feet of "Hazardous Materials" yellow plastic non-adhesive "tape" Baby body parts (legs and arms; doll parts, of course) A squeeky plastic hammer (my wacker I gleefully used last year on everyone when I wasn't running HtC, just taking up space in the van) A shrunken head Two rubber chickens A pirate flag Pennants: Washington, Seattle, Bacon and Curling Various tubs of washable car paint, some of which may be dried out. Archie's was sold out of the yodeling pickle in three different places. Popular item I guess. How this stuff will be put to use is always the interesting part of any relay. Evil grin 6 miles on tap early evening; 3 miles joined by my now famous Chilly Hilly friend. Will be good to catch up. Still need to get some more actual work done today. Good weekend and running to everyone.
    TammyinGP

Amy - I finished up my one month of Grand Jury duty yesterday and I have to say it was a good experience and I feel fortunate that we had a little of everything in this GJ session. A murder, child sex abuse, possession, theft, ID theft, burglary, assault . . . it was a good variety of cases. as for running . . . I did 4 miles yesterday and will do 7 tonight. ho hum. eta: soundie - don't forget your stash of poptarts.

Tammy

Amy - I finished up my one month of Grand Jury duty yesterday and I have to say it was a good experience and I feel fortunate that we had a little of everything in this GJ session. A murder, child sex abuse, possession, theft, ID theft, burglary, assault . . . it was a good variety of cases. as for running . . . I did 4 miles yesterday and will do 7 tonight. ho hum. eta: soundie - don't forget your stash of poptarts.
        Big grin I think Skip is supplying. Hey, did you know they make organic Pop Tarts now? I always knew the day would come. They don't taste half bad, either. I prefer the chemical-laden originals I think, though.
        TammyinGP

I haven't tried the organic ones, but I did try the whole grain brown sugar ones. I prefer the chemical laden ones like you though. The whole grain ones were drier and just didn't have the same flavor. This morning my choice of indulgence was cinnamon roll. Very good! It's a good thing I don't treat myself to these very often though. And after eating two of those and my latte, it's a good thing I'm running 7 miles tonight.

Tammy

Pennants: Washington, Seattle, Bacon and Curling
            The bacon and curling ones didn't have red maple leafs on them, did they? Have a great time....and we expect the truth from you! Caught my little faker out a few times today. She got up to walk, took three steps, then looked at me and crumpled to the floor. Plus her pain keeps moving around. Plus I moved her good leg and she started saying "ouch ouch". Sigh. Something hurts on her leg, but she is really hamming it up. Tammy - I ate three brownies today Embarrassed, so I'm now committed to my 12 miler tonight.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

No yodeling pickles encountered on my run today. Despite my disappointment at not finding novelty items along the path, I still managed to get 3.8 miles in today. Mostly sunny, 55F, and wearing shorts again. Have fun in AZ Soundrunner. Looks like you've packed all the essentials. And thanks for the pointer to McPhee, I will be doing some shopping there very soon.
              Have you got a flag?
                4.75 miles in 41:31 at 18 degrees so it is my tempo run for the week. I was supposed to go 5 but I must have messed up on map my run. I got back to the car and seen my time and thought I must be faster than I thought Roll eyes That is also about my MP I just need to get on a route I know so I can get my splits down. I am supposed to do 6 MP Saturday so it will be interesting to hold that pace for 6 miles and how evenly I can do it. Tonight was just a fun kicky run. The better the music the faster the pace sort a thing. Fun runs to everyone.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

I love Archie McPhee! My sister told us about their stuff years ago. How kewl for the relay vans! Have fun in Arizona, Soundie and Erika. Healing vibes to all you sickies out there. My DH has a bad cold, and I'm hoping I don't get it. So far so good. I got my trail run in at lunchtime, wearing shorts, like I hoped. 9.75 miles, 55 degrees, avg pace 11-ish. I took the exellent advice from the long run thread and kept it slow - I'm ramping up my long runs again after backing off over the winter. Bob, I too like your thoughtful entries - makes us all feel special! And to the rest of you that I didn't mention by name - I read your posts daily and enjoy them all.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

PJH

Congrats on some really great runs out there today! They are very motivating. Up here in Mississauga, winter weather is not letting up. Tough running again today in -22C/-8F wind chill temps. I managed 10 mi in 1:39 with an overall pace of 9:52. My PLE (perceived level of effort) felt high (especially into the wind) and I was surprised that I was able to keep my average/maximum HR at 138/148. Hope everyone gets better soon. PJ

GreenMan

Good Luck Relayers, have fun and stay outa trouble. is that an oxymoron? or just mutally exclusive? about on hour of XT jjj
                      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                        Aamos perhaps Denver can hold off on spring until my Vail trip if you don't mind. Ok, you probably do mind but think of all the people employed in the ski industry. Clowning around Our relay racers should have a great time. I did one last year it is was one of the most entertaining races I have ever done. I get to post twice in the dailies since I ran twice! An evening run with some friends for just over 5 miles. Good night all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Top 'O the World!

Twocat: I'm betting a brieft stint of Spring-like weather here in Denver won't much affect some 35' of snow-so-far in Vail! Wink 'Specially w/March typically being our "snowiest" month of the year!
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          pfriese

Good Evening All, The weather was just about perfect for this evenings run along side the lake and through the woods. 10.5 miles @ 9:30/mile pace Paul
                            Mariposai

Much going on at work today and tomorrow, so no time to play. I did fit in a fantastic 6 miler tonight with 4 miles at 8:40 pace with a one minute rest in between (that is speed for me folks). I had to resort to the TM since my asthma is wanting to misbehave. Have fun Soundie and the rest of the gang and don't forget the sun screen. Enkie, good luck on your 12 miler tonight. You are doing so well with your training...Eugene is going to be a fun experience for you. Tammy, when are you running your 15 miles this weekend? I may just join you virtually.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks for the send off, everyone. We'll try to behave. No promises. Easy 7.2 this evening -- 2 miles with one friend I met unexpectedly on the path; met my other friend for the second loop for 3 miles. I was spoiled with good company tonight. Smile Must get packing. Just popped in "Michael Clayton" to watch with my sick DS who will defintely be home from school yet another day. Good luck to the rest of the weekend racers!!