Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 1.25.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tough enuf' in the FDGFA run, WildChild!

Marj, we have all ice on the pond across the street, and plenty of people took advantage of it yesterday.

Dave, good job of shoveling & running, and good choice to switch to Colombo.

Holly, it sounds like getting dressed for a workout is a workout in itself! Good job getting in 10 and then making DS's brunch.

Good shoveling & running duathlon for you too, Moebo.

Getting good at shoveling the driveway, 'eh, RCG? I'm glad King Leonides enjoyed the snow.

Aamos, how cool that that singer of the National Anthem did such a memorable job. Congrats to you being Female grandmaster in the half, and to DH on his fast race too. Did they have a Walker category? I'll bet he was among the fastest, if not the fastest walker finishers.

Mariposai, after all you've been doing, you deserve a break - if you can call running 14 miles a break...

I'm glad your town's crew did an efficient job of clearing your roads, Twocat. I suppose they've had enough practice over the years.

Good job on keeping GS safe, Tet, and congrats to him on having fun and winning an award at the Pinewood Derby.

Good riding on Gigi, Enke!

Terrific photos, Steve - thanks.

DW and I did a lot of housework yesterday (we're hosting a big party next Sunday), and I was beat by the end of the day. So I was especially glad that today is my SRD. My ankle is feeling a lot better after a day in a wrap and some rest, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's workout.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//.........looks like we still need some Diggin' Out......

Pickles has Cracked,

she wants me to take her out for lunch

..........started to write something Derogatory  and thought better of it......

like she told

me one time

''you got to go to sleep sometime''

============

.........30s here and Sun, but roads are still pretty bad on the sidestreets

first of 3x20-min HH walk

........................good running guys..................Dave59 monitor your HeartRate (and don't watch any Arthritis Commercials)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Amos, nice half (1st female grand master) for you and your husband.  Wild, good job in the Frozen Dead Guy Fat Ass Run.  Dave, that's a lot of snow.  The same can be said for many of the rest of you.   Steve, great pictures.

Nice long runs and walks for deez (including 5K race), Jay, and Holly.

Yesterday, it was about 20 degrees with a light wind.  I did 3 miles at an 11:35 pace.  Today, we are baby sitting the grandsons.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin"

Holly, that getting dressed to run in winter is no joke.  One of the reasons I wanted to move.  And how many times did I go out on a sunny day and run, thinking la la la, not so bad, la la la, only to turn around and realize I forgot (yet again!) to check the wind direction.  It's those days with not much wind that trick you, as when it's at your back, you don't notice it, but then......icicle face.  Although my eyelashes never froze, as Erika's have, as I can recall. But then again, I may just be conveniently forgetting that.

feeling any better twocat?   Oh, and you asked about which of your recipes I use, the one is totally easy, just oil and bake 'em (the dreaded BS) at high heat for about 45 minutes, and then the one with browned slivered almonds.

Friends in Nashville posting pictures of them, dogs and snow.   They're having fun.  College roomie in Reston spent most of yesterday in her slippers or Uggs.  She's happily cozy.  I think school is cancelled today (she teaches, but is writing letters for the middle schoolers applying for the science-focused high school).

Greta photos, Steve!

I found FROST on my run this am.  It was coldy cold for us, and someone forgot to turn off their evening sprinkler so when I was out before the sun rose, found a lawn with frost!

moebo--hope you'll be kind when TB is at the Peyton stage in a few. .  It's so funny to think of these guys as "old," isn't it?

Is there a theme for the big party, Jay?  Sounds fun.  And you'll perhaps get more corks for future projects?  DH says thanks for the kind words.  There isn't a walker category for the half. but the same RD puts on a 10K we'll do in March that does have a walker division.  There's one other race she does, a 5K we did last month.  It's a "series" 22.4 mile challenge this year (and discount for signing up for all 3).  DH never did anything like that, so we're in it.  Of course you get a 4th medal for the challenge, and he's a bit of a raccoon in that he's partial to shiny things, so that will be fun.  And his cardiologist gives him lots of reinforcement for his races.  (Me too, but of course you knew that.)

so stumps and deez will, I trust,  check in today and let us know they're going to be ok......

Since our marathon last Sunday, the 17th, got shortened to a half due to weather, and I found 13.1 in gusts over 40 mph was sufficient, I needed to get in a bit of a longer run this weekend, so I ran a few warm up miles before this Sunday's half (which I also wanted to do as I think, looking back, I tweaked the calf last Sunday by starting out too fast.   We only learned it was going to be a half when we were lined up, and since I planned to run slow at the start of the marathon, I didn't warm up.  Then, since it became a half, I did go out faster.  Dumb ).

Then, I tacked on three after the half yesterday.  It felt easy enough then, as going from a half pace to 9 minute miles seemed slow.  I'm finding I feel a little more tired today than I usually do after a long run, no surprise, but huh.    I guess I failed to consider that when I stayed up last night.....

Ladies, so I found a way to get my shoes cheaper.  You know how shoes at either end of the size scales are the ones often on sale?  I tried on some men's running shoes and figured out my size in a few brands I like (tends to be a 7 or 7.5).  These do seem to be on sale more often, e.g., just got a pair of Hoka Cliftons for way under what they normally go for AND they're light grey, not purple or pink, not that I have anything against those colors, but a little goes a long way.  For me.

So we on the east coast are almost thru Monday morning already!   And my break is over....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

And how many times did I go out on a sunny day and run, thinking la la la, not so bad, la la la, only to turn around and realize I forgot (yet again!) to check the wind direction.  It's those days with not much wind that trick you, as when it's at your back, you don't notice it, but then......icicle face.  

No doubt!  How can wind that is so slight you cannot even feel it at your back become such a face-freezing gale when you turn into it?

No run for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Good Morning All!

I love all the snow pics I'm seeing. I know so many people got dumped on and it's likely paralyzing many folks, but it sure looks fun to play in!  While we've been getting lots of snow in the mountains out here - finally! We've had very little where we live (around 1400 elev), so I'm kind of missing that. 

got in a 3 mile trail run with knuckleheads yesterday. Bella was finally happy to go for a run. Annie stuck with us for a mile, then I brought her home so she wouldn't overdo it.

This Wednesday is the awards dinner for my running club's Runner of the Year. I took 1st place in my AG and David took 1st in his AG, so we'll each get our trophies. He's looking forward to posting his trophy on FB and tagging his buddies from the running team at HS just to rub it in. They are still wishing he would reconsider and join track this spring, but he won't. 

busy week ahead so better get at it!

Tammy

Howdy Do, Folks - I was a no show over the weekend, too much going on.

But congrats to Aamos on her race!

Congrats to those of you who survived Snowmageddon!

I got a good giggle out of TomW's posts yesterday. 

Loved SteveP's snow pictures.  It looks so peaceful ~~

Dave - Glad you decided to watch Colombo.  I always loved that show.  That and Rockford Files, which was my dad's favorite.  I was seekretly in love with James Garner.

Saturday, I ran 20 miles with my new trail running buddy at Prairie Creek State Park.  Between our drive and running, we saw 4 separate herds of Roosevelt elk, passing within probably about 20-30 yards of a herd of about 10 or 11 (2 bulls and 8-9 cows) on our run.  Also, we came around one corner and met up with a group of young people hiking the other way, led by a young man who attends the same church we do.  Other than that group, we had the trails to ourselves.  Even took a 'wrong turn' and went down a trail I'd never been on.  We were both pretty pooped by the end and she's still game to keep on this new adventure, but she seemed a bit taken back that I would running at least 22 this coming Saturday.  I'm not sure she'll be joining me. 

I've been awake since 1:00 a.m.  The Hub got up to go to the bathroom (our bathroom is a small (emphasis on "small") extension of our bedroom), and that was that.  In all truthfulness, I dozed off and on on the couch from about 3:30 to 6:30, but it definitely wasn't restful.  I'm going to try my darndest to not be cranky today, but the way I feel right, I'm not sure I'll even make it to lunch!

Needless to say, no workout this morning.

Have a good week, friends ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nothing much to report on the snow front for me.  We were at the far northern edge of the Snowpocolypse.  About the only problem we had was on the way to the company Christmas party (yes, I know it's late) was that the 3-4" that we had had by the time we left hadn't been plowed.  You'd think that poeple in NE would know how to drive in the snow.  You would be wrong.  It was a 45 mile trip and it took us over 45 minutes to go the first 15, to get out of the snow, then less than a half hour for the rest.

Had to spend about half an hour shoveling after my run yesterday and it was all powder.  The twon did a good job clearing the sidewalk all the way alround the lake.  So 3.1 yesterday was shortened due to a twinging hammy.  Now down in NJ where there's about a foot on the ground making it a bit challenging to move around the job site.  later this week, I'll be down in Raliegh, NC to see how well they've dealt with their snow.  I'm guessing not well.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

I got a good giggle out of TomW's posts yesterday. 

Yep--even Debbie laughed at his first post.  Debbie never laughs at my jokes.

Marathon Maniac #957

This Wednesday is the awards dinner for my running club's Runner of the Year. I took 1st place in my AG and David took 1st in his AG, so we'll each get our trophies. 

Sweet!

Leslie - I sure wish you lived near me so I could join you on your trail adventures.

Jay - great picture of the ice pond!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Leslie - I sure wish you lived near me so I could join you on your trail adventures.

Me, too!  One of these days you'll get to my part of California, I just know it.

And Tammy- I forgot to congratulate you and David on your awards.  Well done!

I'm still at work, but my brain feels like it's full of cotton . . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

tetsujin209 New Orleans is the targeted marathon location. A lot closer than Japan! Come on down!

AamosY I have some Brussels sprouts recipes where you do not even have to cook them! Just put them in a food processor raw. My favorite in this category is http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/63132733/shaved-brussels-sprout-salad-with-burrata/.

No running, no elliptical, no nothing. Well standing at a podium for 4.5 hours today (not quite but close) delivering my first day of lectures for this semester. Time for a stiff drink and then to bed to help me forget about the fact that there are a whole bunch more days like today coming!  I am totally wiped out.

As to how my town fared in the snow, better than most. Still, here is what the road to the beach looked like.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Today was a short day for me since I decided to take time to nurture myself. I decided that it was time to visit my hair stylist for some tender loving care of the white roots...I felt totally pampered by the time I left. Funny, I found the best hair stylist at Walmart, after spending a lot of my hard earned dollars for years in "hair saloons" whose stylist thought they knew best and ruined my hair.  By frustration I started interviewing every hair stylist in town and I found the best one at Walmart of all places. I love the fact that  the Walmart beauty shop is no frills, I get the best job done, my hair is the healthiest in decades, and I get my hair done for about $60 less than the other places.

Ohh, I did run 7 miles today, plus some gym diva time at the free high school gym. I will be sore tomorrow.

Cheers,

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks twocat.
                              New Orleans is my first all-you-can-eat
                              oyster eatery record: 100 in 1969
                              However, the Pompano en Papillote was better
                              Have fun.
                              ps posie: the Walmart in DD-land just closed out at 50% off.
                              Good luck in maintaining yours, at least the hair salon part.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

If you could warm it up a bit before we get there, Amy, that would be greta.

In a previous post, I mentioned how two people at work enter all the figures for the materials we receive. Both of them were off of work one week and I got on the phone to be talked through the process. It's since become one of my primary responsibilities. Now I know another reason the inventory is off. One disheartening aspect is that, the primary offender has been generous with accusations of theft.

Hopefully, my work week doesn't get much longer.

SteveP