Masters Running

12/1/19 Last month of 2019! (Read 46 times)

bioguy

Morning all.

Ran 3 with my sil yesterday. They popped in for a short visit on their way to their home as they spent Thanksgiving with his family in new York. Good to see my grandchildren for a second weekend in a row.

Have a very stiff back; I wonder if the Topos are the culprit...

Someone posted about Alabama v Auburn. I watched bits with the sound off and have rarely seen so many undisciplined players, especially for unsportsmanlike conduct. Big turnoff for me.

Tailwinds!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

DH ran to the store early on Thanksgiving, came home and said he felt light-headed, and then spent the rest of the day in bed with some sort of flu.  So, I hosted the day without him and the 13 of us (is that unlucky, to have 13 at dinner) ate far too much and had a nice time visiting.  Unfortunately I came down with apparently the same bug the next day and spent most of the next two days lying on the sofa being a slug - a waste of a good holiday weekend, darn it.  I feel quite a bit better today, but still not sure if I am up to a workout.  Maybe I will go for a nice walk later, and take advantage of the mild temps.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin'.....

in a Futile Attempt

to save what's left of my Back

, I ordered

a ''Shoulder Carrying Strap''

I post it now to save any of you from the Same Fate-

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200310414_200310414?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Material%20Handling%20%3E%20Hoists%20%26%20Lifts%20%2B%20Cranes%20%3E%20Shoulder%20%2B%20Arm%20Lifts&utm_campaign=Shoulder%20Dolly&utm_content=143050&msclkid=8bb409ed23e3112223e3540ee7af4937

since Pickles

has informed me we're moving yet MORE Furniture today,

I doubt mine will arrive it time

(it's like being Married to an Ant)

===========

currently

the Y only has ONE RESTROOM available due to re-modelling the locker rooms

dunno if I can get a work-out in

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi friends -- 3.2 Boston miles before work today. Packed an extra bag in case we seem to be getting a lot of snow - I have to work again in the morning so it's easier to just sleep here if the weather is bad going home and coming back in. Plus we don't have a garage at home so it would mean getting up to clean off the snow at 5:30am -- yuck!!

Happy Sunday

denise

Wow, tough Thanksgiving, Holly (and others here fighting off various bugs).

Tramps and KSA, we also like Homeland and get the DVDs from the library as soon as the latest season is released. We like to bet on when Carrie will go off her meds, and we still miss Quinn!

Joe, when you ran past the tailgaters yesterday you might have passed my brother. He was in town visiting his daughter for the weekend (she works at Purdue) and he told me that they drove through that area and noticed all the tailgaters. He also said something about "some old Forrest Gump-looking guy" that he saw running down the street...

Not much luck for the local teams lately but I can at least take solace in the fact that (1) Nick Saban lost and (2) I don't have to watch the Lions lose today (once per week is enough!).

Ran 4 miles on the treadmill at Planet Fitness this morning at a pretty good pace for a TM. I hate to admit it, but I'm definitely less steady than I was a few years ago and it doesn't take much for me to to have a momentary distraction and have to catch myself when I crank up the pace to a 12-minute mile or faster.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

((holly)) lots of that going around.  i went to bed a couple of days around 8 fighting it and that seemed to work

4 miles running 2 errands this morning - one for yogurt and one to the amazon store.  i feel like an old luddite as this was my first time visiting one - you click on email and in 1 minute get barcode which tells you which locker, scan the barcode & the door opens & instant package - came 5 days earlier then home delivery.

last night heard Bria Skonberg at city winery (about 8 in the country).  really nice venue (altho wine far too $$) and great trumpet player/singer.

hopefully get out for another walk before the snow comes in

marj

Holly S. coming down ill is no fun. Twice no fun on a long weekend.

I did an hour on the elliptical this morning as part of my travel preparation. When I have a long plane flight ahead I try to wear my legs out at least a little bit in preparation for sitting hour after hour. Then it was off to the airport. The storm front had not yet arrived during the drive and now that I am waiting to board it is just starting to rain a little bit. I have three books loaded on to my Nook for the flight. I am a slow reader (dyslexia) so they should last me the whole trip and then some.

United just sent me a text saying to get my tail over to the gate as boarding has started. I guess that means I have to get up, fight the check in line and then go sit and sit and sit and . . . 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

2.6 mile run as Marj returned from her first errand and before the snow. Lots of runners on the roads on the coldest morning we’ve had this year.

Hugs to all who need it.

dnaff

Happy travels Two cat.  I hope you get good seat mates.

Holly, that bug!  Ugh.  I think everyone is passing it around.  I slept most of the day yesterday.  I'd get up feeling all energized and 40 minutes later I'd be back in bed.  Today is shaping up the same.   After a full night of sleep I was up only long enough for breakfast and crawled right back in bed for another 2 hours.

On the plus side, it is pouring rain and cold so that makes me feel not quite so badly about not working out.

I love our CityWinery, Marj.  It's a terrific venue.   Thanks for the start, bio.     Safe travels, twocat.  Do you wear compression socks on the plane?  I was told it's a good idea- especially on longer flights.  (too late now- you are boarding.....)

Got out about 10:45 and drove over to the path, which was flooded and muddy in many places.  We had a lot of rain yesterday.  Managed to do 6.5 miles which completed my December Strave 5K and 10K challenges.  There was some pretty stiff wind.

Trying to avoid ordering too much stuff online.  Oh look, 20% off!  Every website I've ever purchased from in my life has sent me 5 emails in the last couple of days.  It gets old.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Oh look, 20% off!  Every website I've ever purchased from in my life has sent me 5 emails in the last couple of days.  It gets old.

Very old.   I try to opt out whenever I can...I then "unsubscribe" as much as I can...and the barrage continues. 

Good to hear from you all...hope you and DH are on the mend, Holly.   

Only ab work for me today.   Cold and raw outside.     So, I'll stay inside!!

Rock it!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

coastwalker

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the start, Bioguy.

Sorry about the flu raining down on your Thanksgiving, Holly. Hopefully, this will be the last of it for your family this season.

I hope that shoulder dolly helps your back, Tomwhite.

Nice workouts, indoors and out, today.

Travel safely, Twocat.

Yesterday, on Small Business Saturday, DW and I visited 8 local businesses, and bought at least a little something at each one, from greeting cards and chocolate truffles, to a snow shovel and lunch. Take that, online merchants and box stores!

On the spur of the moment, I decided last night to race a small, local Jingle Bell 5K this morning. It was 24° and overcast with just a slight breeze at race time. Today's pending snow storm was still hours away. Unlike the flat-as-a-pancake 5K on Thanksgiving, today's race was almost all rollers. Some guy with a dog passed me in the first mile. I stayed right behind them for a while, but the dog seemed to almost always be in my way, which was very annoying. So I picked up the pace and went wide to get around them, and promised myself that they would not get in front of me again (they didn't). I didn't look at my splits the whole way, but felt that I was doing OK. My finishing time was almost identical to Thursday's race, giving me a 10:26 overall pace, and that was good enough for 1st in my AG (I beat the other guy) in this race.

Our Seacoast Half wrap-up is scheduled for tomorrow evening, but we're supposed to get a still-unknown quantity of snow between this evening and Tuesday morning. So I've warned the committee members that we may be postponing, and that I'll make the call when I see what is happening tomorrow morning, There's always something...

Have a greta rest of your Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

anneb

Good day all. Safe travels, Twocat. 

It’s been really grey and wet here ALL weekend. Never a dry sidewalk. It’s started raining steadily again and we’ll see if it turns to snow later as predicted. Even with that, temps so far have not been too bad and I’ve been out to run about an hour each day (not actually in the rain). It would be nice to see some sun though. It is in short supply this time of year. 

Sorry about all the bugs/sickness going around! You all can keep that wherever you are 🙂

Enjoy your Sunday!

Anne

Henrun

WTG, Jay. You showed that dog who’s boss. And congrats on your AG win.

No snow yet and the temp hit low 30’s, Greta d no wind. After doing an errand to Home Depot we walked in a couple of parks for 2 more miles for the day. If it remains dry we may be”forced”.to take our traditional after dinner walk.

One of the walks we did was on one of our favorite running paths which was recently upgraded. They did a magnificent job.

Having tea now ,listening to classical music and awaiting the evening. Lovely weekend so far.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - excellent spur-of-the-moment Jingle Bell and AG.

In the land of Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia, etc.

no mention of Small Business Saturday in Seattle. Too bad.

Twocat - \have a great time in China and/or Hong Kong or both.

Unless you can't see in front of you, hope you can get in a run or two.

Yippee! All my preparations for the second sub-freezing run of any kind in my life (after 2005 Christmas Marathon at 28F) went for naught as overnight clouds warmed the Seattle area from the 28F mornings of the last couple of days up to 43F this morning, just right for the running barefoot I like.

Was aiming for a 13:45m/m pace to try to keep below three hours as has been the case by from 1-3 minutes in the annual half marathon event I’ve run around the island every last-Sunday-of-March but ended up with a 13:01 average page for a very rejoiceul 3:50:30. 2:50:30. DW was just happy that I got back before noon. Me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)