Masters Running

Thanksgiving Tuesday 11/23/21 (Read 37 times)

Good morning Masters!  Rise and shine 

Just a few comments from yesterday.  Anyone that does a 50 mile race deserves to be feted bioguy.  That's a huge accomplishment.  One that I'll never do.  Enke - I, too, was glad to see you're still with Mr. Blue Eyes.  And your kids are growing up too quickly!  Tramps - best wishes to you and Tribee as you go through the hospice part of your MIL's journey.  I keep you all in my thoughts.  Twocat - that sounds like a lot of work to prepare a turkey!  How about I PM you with my address so you can ship a little of the "finished product" for taste testing?!  Steve - could you share the reindeer food recipe?  It looks like wicked fun!  I know I'm missing some other stuff but I'm old and my memory is shot.

4 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning (with very short attempts at running) followed with 25 minutes of weights and core.  Now off to be Wilma Wonka for the rest of the day.

Hey Holly - good luck with your surgery tomorrow!  I'll be thinking about you and hoping everything goes well.

Have a great Tuesday people!

Hi all,

Great to see Enke here and photos, too!  
      Herr Wegetarian & I are back from the 2 conferences — including a quick conference in Nashville, where I apparently missed seeing KSA by hours! Nashville was an absolutely packed madhouse of revelers, partiers, runners, Titan fans, bachelorettes on pedal busses, divorcees on party buses, and (my conf) landscape architects and their suppliers. Not a mask to be seen in all of Nashville (but the convention center was strict about it). We were kinda stunned, and got some curious looks because we wore our masks indoors.

0 miles yesterday. Ate my way across America. Then I woke up at 3am this morning and will get a run in if my cat lets me leave. I skipped both of my last 2 long runs prior to the half. Extreme tapering…

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Thanks, Jeanne, for the surgery good lucks...BTW, I ordered four pairs of mittens today from your other friend Holly...

Econo - love the "ate my way across America" comment - that's me every time I travel.  Plus I am gaining weight already from my lack of cadio activity and my seeming inability to cut down on calories...shoot, seems like I barely eat as it is, cutting back even further is HARD....

30 minutes of weights and core for me today.

Tonight DH, DS and his GF and I (and maybe DD and her BF) are going to see a Carillon Christmas - "Carillon Historical Park’s 65-acre campus transformed into a winter wonderland of sparkle, magic, and holiday cheer!"   https://www.daytonhistory.org/events/special-events/a-carillon-christmas/

Today is the first day it is open and the last day I will be walking, so I wanted to take advantage of it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

3.25 miles this morning. 21° this morning with scattered black ice, but I wasn't out early so it was light and I could see and avoid the ice.

I wear a Road ID when I run so when I eventually collapse when out running, the authorities can call Cindy and give her the news.  Yesterday on my run I lost the bracelet. I think it snagged on my glove when I took off my glove to change folders on my AfterShokz headphones.  I took a walk later in the day to see if I could find it but had no luck.  Then last night a neighbor called Cindy because he had the thing.  Apparently his cleaning woman found it in the parking lot and since he was a county police officer he felt he should make sure it was just dropped and not a clue in a missing person case.  He stopped by our place and dropped it off.  I appreciated getting it back.

(I ordered a new Road ID that just hooks on my watchband.  Should be harder to lose.  And I am almost always wearing my watch so it could come in handy if I collapse when I am not running.   )

bioguy

Morning all!~

I did some really fast interval 1/2 miles today (NOT).

Actually I may have set a new PR from Saturday of walking down the steps. My legs finally feel pretty good, so I might go for a Peleton ride this afternoon.

My good running friend is trying to organize a winter training group which would be connected to a running store on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. Cost would be $200 and we'd supposedly get a training plan for a full or half marathon, shoe and apparel discount, a slightly reduced entry fee to a nice race in Salisbury, MD, and a nutritional consult. ~I'm on the fence because the store doesn't carry the brand of shoes I like (Topo) and I can't see the training plan ahead of time. I was considering just running a Hanson's plan on my own. The group would be running at `5pm which is an awkward time for me.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Jlynne. Good workout this morning - good luck with the Wilma Wonking the rest of the day.

Welcome back, Econo. Sorry you missed KSA. Interesting commentary on Nashville.

Good workout, Holly. Have fun with the fam tonight, and best wishes for a most successful outcome from tomorrow's surgery.

Glad you got your Road ID back Dave. Mine fits on the watchband of my Garmin, so whenever I'm Garmined, I'm also Road ID'd.

I hope you have a good P-ride this afternoon, Bioguy. Sounds like that training program has some challenges for you. Speaking of Topo's, I just ordered a new pair of Magnifly 3 today.

How nice to see Enke back, especially in photo form (with Evanflein and Tet!), and to know that MBE is still in the picture (but not that picture). My, your DD is growing fast!

Leslie, I'm so sorry to read about your nephew's wife. I hope there is hope, and that she recovers more that expected.

Tammy, when I 'regular' walk on my workouts, as I've been doing since late last week (averaging about a 14:30 pace), it's hard, and I ache afterward until I do some stretching. As with running-to-walking, RWing-to-walking uses different muscles, and those muscles don't necessarily want to be woken up in that fashion. If you walked like that for a week or so, your muscles would get used to it.

Twocat:  https://www.leftyslefthanded.com/Left_HandedKnives_s/67.htm

I was up and out on time this morning for 5.75 miles in breezy 32° temps under a clear sky with lots of good moonlight to visibleize the road. But I still had my headlamp on to make sure I'd be seen by the few oncoming cars out there at that hour. Then DW and I went to our favorite dive for breakfast before I had to jump on my 8:30 Zoom meeting. And so the day begins.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

Good Morning all!
                Jay, I've been doing a few walks per week and it was only the first one that left me sore. Still trying to keep my walking pace in that 16-17 m/m range. much faster than that and I want to engage my right arm too much and that is what I can't do. I walk with my sling on as a way to keep it more immobilized but occasionally I get a twinge of a reminder that I engaged my right shoulder with movement. 

David coming home for a long weekend from his internship up near Portland. I haven't seen him since June, so will be good to have him home and I know he's looking forward to not having to cook for himself for a few days.

We are hosting Thanksgiving this year. We have a small family, so it's not like a ton of food needs to be prepped.  Fortunately, my DH is the meat master - so he's handling the pork loin and turkey breast. And I can handle doing potatoes and veggies with one functioning arm. Other than that, just looking forward to down time with the family. And weather looks great for more walking 

Tammy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TAMMY!!!!

Thanks for the start, JLynne.  Happy Wonka-ing.

I need to give that left-handed site a gander.  2Kitty - Remember left-handed scissors in school?  Weren't worth the cost of making them.  And I used to get in trouble because my letters didn't slant in the proper direction.

Good luck with the surgery, Holly.  What time do you go in and how long do they expect it to take?

Dave - That was pretty cool for the officer to contact you to make sure you weren't missing. 

I got in 3 predawn miles this morning, and for the first time since I don't know when, I felt like I could run forever.  It felt really good.

Okay - Back to the grind.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for the start, JLynne.  Tammy - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!   Holly- fingers crossed for a successful surgery and recovery.   Econo- sorry I missed you.  Yeah- downtown Nashville is quite the place.  It's an issue..... I try to keep any necessary "in town" meetups to the Vanderbilt area, which isn't as bad.  My daughter/son in law live in East Nashville, which is across the river (here is snooty Williamson County we say "the otha side of the rivah") and is the trendy but still "emerging" area.

I have the RoadID that hooks on my Garmin, which I like a lot, but with the new Garmin 55 it's a little loose so I have it on the side with the buckle so it doesn't slide off.

7.3 very chilly (for the South) miles over at the park.  I dress warmly.  It was 24 degrees when we woke up and probably 30 when I started running.  The Brentwood Christmas tree is up and here is my annual picture with it.    May be an image of christmas tree and outdoorsMay be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck with the surgery, Holly.  What time do you go in and how long do they expect it to take?

The surgery is at 8:00am, so I have to be there by 6:30am, so leaving the house for the 1-hour drive at 5:30am.  He has his next surgery scheduled at 10am, so I expect maybe 1.5 hours for the surgery?  Should be home by noon, and while I take a nap, DH is heading out to ride his Harley for a while and take advantage of the almost-50-degree temps.    I am supposed to use the plug-in ice pack thing for the first 72 hours mostly non-stop, then every-other-hour in the day time and all night long for days 4-10.  Joy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MurrayM

5K today, moderately fast, up a steep switchback sidewalk then straight down on forest path enough times for it to add up to 5K.

My new favourite run.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Good luck with the surgery, Holly.

Dave:  I also have Road ID bracelet with velcro, but I also have a second one I have is rubber band type.  The second one is used at our Cape May house. But I tell DW they are just to let people know where to send the body. "Dark humor" hahaha  Anywho...

Yesterday all I did was the usual morning core and dumbbell exercises.  DW and I went to Lancaster, PA to do some Christmas shopping at outlets there.  It is sort of a pre-Christmas tradition. We ended up not buying any gifts, just stuff for ourselves.  (I bought 2 pairs of running shorts. ) Also one of the bigger outlet malls is basically empty, even when we compared it to last year.  So bad in fact, DW says we may not go again next year.  Sign of the times unfortunately.

Today I did 6+ miles with running buddy along towpath. Temps were in high 30F's but the wind made it feel about 10 degrees colder. We were both glad we overdressed...at least for the first 3 miles when we had headwinds.  Last 3 miles temps went up and wind died off, until we reached the car that is. It felt great to get out of the wind again then.  To sum up today's run it was cold and sweaty.

Happy Tuesday.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

mrrun

Happy Birthday Tammy!

good luck tomorrow, Holly

Great photos

4.5 miles walking with one person, as other 2 have left to spend turkey day out-of-state. Mostly blustery and cold

marj

BTY

Today is sort of my Friday.  I'm scheduled (tentatively) to take some or all of tomorrow off in order to get GN to his Indoor Track Practice and back (runs from 9:00 to 10:30) and then to get DS#2 from his apartment 30 minutes away at 1:00 so he can be with us for the Holiday in spite of not having a car.  I also want to fit a strength training workout and a swim in there along the way, and do a lot of cleaning and preparing and - let's face it, there's no time to work once all of that is accounted for.

Today I did a "pull" workout at lunchtime and was happy to get 7 good chin-ups, which is an increase of 1 over the past couple of times.  It's really tempting to use my hips and knees to get a little extra momentum, especially near the end, but I stayed true and let my knees hang down, no bounce allowed at the bottom.  I counted the 7th rep even though I didn't q u i t e get my chin over the bar.  But that took a lot out of me so the reps on pull downs, rows, and dumbbell curls suffered.  Today's swim will feel pretty therapeutic when I get in after picking up GN after his indoor track practice at 4:30.   Pull days primarily hit the core, biceps, and lats, and swimming hits them as well, but long strokes and focusing on a good streamline position helps work the soreness out.   Let's put it this way - swimming after lifting feels a whole lot better than lifting after swimming, which is what I did yesterday.

I was disappointed to find out yesterday that GN's Indoor Track information indicated that no spectators are allowed at any of their competitions, which will be held at the local college facilities.  There was a little "afterthought" added to the note that said "we'll need to provide some volunteers" at a couple of the meets; so that is the opportunity to watch a meet - volunteer as a helper or judge measuring the distances of the field events or picking out the order of finishers in the track events.  I'd normally jump at the opportunity to do that but I have to remember that those opportunities should go to the parents of kids on the team, but I'll let the coach know I'm available if others don't volunteer.  But that also reminded me that for outdoor track and field, we were always in need of officials when I was coaching, and I always thought that was a nice retirement gig - the pay for the officials back then exceeded what I was making as a head coach of the boys and girls' varsity teams (along with the Modified team and the kids who were not technically varsity but in high school).  And officiating is basically Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (if you want to do the all day invitationals) from late April through late May, early June.  So I'll be looking into that as a revenue stream for retirement.  

BTY

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, I think you're a pretty close equivalent to a parent.  And I'll bet they'll be pretty eager to have anyone volunteer.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.