Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge: 1/21 - 1/27 (Read 35 times)

TammyinGP

Edited to add for clarification because apparently my mind doesn't do basic math very well on the weekends: a minimum of 150 seconds of planks. divided up between forward and side planks in whatever increments challenge you the most.

Time to increase the challenge again! Last week was a minimum of 120 seconds a day (although I see many of you did far more than that!). This week it's 180 seconds = 2 1/2 minutes!  Increase that time based on what you were accomplishing last week. So if your forward plank was 60 seconds with another 30 seconds on each side for side planks. then add some more time to each of those to challenge each of those positions. And since cores are now getting stronger, I also challenge each of you to incorporate some arm or leg lifts while doing the planks.

something like this:

or this:

Let us know which variation you are incorporating to make this more challenging.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Boy, Tammy, you really want to get to 180 seconds, don't you?  But see, if 2 minutes is 120 seconds, and we add 30 seconds, umm...that's 150 seconds.  Here, let me try this....if you have 2 apples, and I give you 3 more apples, how many apples do you have?  That's right...5 apples.  Now, if you have 20 apples, and I give you 30 apples, how many do you have?  Very good!  Yes...you would have 50 apples.  Okay...so, now...if you have 120 apples, and I give you 30 apples, how many apples do you have?  Sorry--if you have that many dang apples you should be making apple pies...you always have to be ready for these trick questions, Tammy.  Okay...now, what was I talking about?  Crap, now, I lost my train of thought...I guess, I'll go do some planks...if I could only remember how many...

coastwalker

Mike, you're hilarious!!  Big grin

Jan. 21

1 X 130 sec, - front plank

1 X 150 sec. - marching glute bridge

1 X 100 sec. - front straight-arm plank

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Continuing the trend of less quantity, more quality. 
          2x :60 prone 
          2x :45 side w/:15 leg lift 
          1x :60 prone

4:30 total

TammyinGP

oh my goodness! I cannot believe I made a math error AGAIN! sheesh!  Next time I really need to have my son proof my addition skills apparently.

Okay, Mike, YOU have to do 180 seconds! and you better watch out because next week i might just make you do 30 minutes! Joking

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

70 seconds forward + 40 seconds each side...by the way...how many apples does it take to make a pie?

Is Tammy going to make enough apples pies for us all?  Apple Pie Party!!

1 x 60 secs forward, left, right
                1 x 60 secs forward, left, right
                1 x 30 secs forward

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I love making apple pies. I especially love making crusts. I use about 7 apples for a pie, depending on the size of the apples.

1:15 forward planks

:45 on each side

yes Mike, i realize my planks here adds up to a little more than 150 seconds Wink

Tammy

I'm sooooo confused!

Completely forgot about this on Sunday, so I guess I'm technically out, but then was late starting so technically was never in.  No matter.

Monday:

2 X 30 sec right

2 X 30 sec left

3 X 30 sec prone

2 X 30 sec reverse, straight arm

total 270 sec

Tuesday:

Same, but with leg raises while in prone position.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

2x 1:00 forearm prone
                      2x :45 forearm side w/:15 leg lift
                      1x 1:00 forearm prone
                      2x :35 straight arm prone double knee roll-ins w/feet on ball (10x)
                      1x 1:05 glute bridge w/marching knees (20x)
                      1x 1:15 glute bridge double knee roll-ins w/feet on ball (10x)
                      8:00 total

Hips felt a bit wonky after the glute and ball stuff, especially during my run later this morning, so I'm going to be eliminating that stuff and just stick with the plain vanilla planks.

TammyinGP

A.M.:

1:15 forward

:45 each side

did the same in the P.M. for a total 5.5 minutes of planks today.

Tammy

Hemer - My workout weeks always start on Monday, so I'm always a day off with this group.   . . . besides being "off" in other things, as well. Wink

Did two 1-min forward planks on the stability ball while working out with a DVD, so at the end I added some lower back strength training on the stability ball and the following:

1 min each side, left and right

30 secs forward with one foot wrapped around the other

30 secs each side, left and right

Between the core specific DVD and the planks, my middle section is pleasantly exhausted.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

70 seconds forward + 40 seconds each side.  I even lifted my arms and legs a couple times.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm here, I'm here!  Just too busy to post, but doing my 2.5 minutes.  5 x 30 seconds, front and sides.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Jan 23.

2 X 60 sec - forward plank with leg lifts

1 X 150 sec - glute bridge

1 X 120 sec - straight-arm glute bridge

1 X 90 sec - straight-arm forward plank

1 X 120 sec - glute bridge on stability ball

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.