Masters Running

Fri 25th July Runs and Thoughts (Read 502 times)

The Jogger

Right, out this morning for a wee 3 miler with Woody boy. It was a nice steady jog and HR ( for me). I thought oh this is a bit early and didn't fancy it but I have to head out for a meeting, again and also Woody needs his exercise aswell as me. Thoughts are with Spareribs, who might be a bit dissapointed not getting sorted yesterday but will do soon. Anyway: 3m 31:56 @ 10:39 pace AHR 143 65% WHR BP 111/70 RHR 48 (it's all stats today) Good Runs All Roy
      Nice run with Woody, Roy. I also had a 3 miler. Before my run I saw your BP (very nice) and took mine 124/79 -- not as good as yours but as I struggle with high BP it was actually very low for me. Today the weather was even cooler at 59°F, some humidity but at those temps of course it was not an issue. Stats: 3.1 miles @ 9:14/mi, AHR 129, 28:54

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! You guys measure your BP at home? I'm impressed. I've got bp today too IRC 62F lower humidity so I ran my medium-long run with 3 MP and 2 HMP miles. Miles 4-6 were uphill 300ft. First 2 miles with Tory: 9:42, 9:51, 9:24, 9:02, 8:47, 7:55, 7:50, 7:47, 7:20, 7:22, 7:55 (.74 mi) 10.74 mi in 1:30:28 (8:25, AHR 149) It felt great to open it up in the cool temps!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Roy – good that you’re keeping your Woody steady. Smile Deez4boyz – be careful, Denise! You scare me a little with those “falling asleep driving home” stories. And 26th Happy Anniversary! SteveP – we’ve missed you around here. Hope you can start being a regular again. No run for me today – light x-training instead: glute raises, push-ups, hammer curls, triceps extensions, lateral raises, front raises, and various crunches. I wore my HR monitor to bed last night, and glanced at it the couple times when I got up in the night, saw numbers ranging from 49 to 56, but of course forgot to look the last time when I got up for the day. Which one counts as RHR? This morning I found both the cat and the dog curled up on the dog’s blanket. Guess DD’s lesson on getting along worked. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Rest day for me. Work is on overload. Whenever I think it can't get any worse it somehow does. But I'll be stopping by to read up on everyone else.

Renee the dog

Out at 6:30 am for 3 healing miles --healing from the 3 margaritas I had last night... Shocked Renee went with me and it was almost cold at 64 F and 86% h. I felt great until we were done and walking the last two blocks home. Confused Guess the moral of that story is if you drink tequila the night before, never stop running and you'll feel great! Me in an hour: Dead

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

TGIF Smile Very nice 3 milers Roy and Lou...great that you are checking your BP considering the events going on with Mr Ribs. Good to have you back Steve....you were missed! And super good negative split 10.74 miles Smile Holly, when you said yesterday "Once again, the front desk sat unoccupied...." I cracked up and wondered how long you could walk into the fitness center un-noticed and get by with it. Heck, just keep walking into the place like you own it and milk it as long as you can....it's their fault not having someone there to take care of business. Nice x training for you this morning Smile Cute picture also! 4 easy well needed recovery miles last night at 9:30 pace (thanks Steve). I measure my BP everyday also as mine can be high sometimes, but not high enough for meds. Last night mine was 122/77 with a resting HR of 42 before my run. I know I have mentioned this before, but my resting HR is always late in the afternoon, vs first thing in the morning Confused...yesterday morning my resting HR was around 60 then drops all day long, strange I know. But my doc says it really doesn't mean anything..it's a biorhythm thing. Like everyone else, my thoughts are with Ribs and his family. I guess when we put things in perspective, our whining about little injuries - running in the heat - being tired - just bumps along the way in our life's, don't compare to what Ribs is going though, but we all know everything will be fine in the end, and he will be back stronger than ever. I really appreciate the fact that even after his procedure and disappointing news yesterday, he thought enough of us to post here and let us know whats going on. He is a class act and I admire and respect him as a great human being - his wisdom about running and helping others - and his devotion to his family - and of course his never ending wit and sense of humor. Oh yeah Ribs....I accidentally added an extra 0 to the check I sent you and....ummm, never mind, your help to me and other is priceless Big grin Have a great day everyone!!! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I am not running to today in preparation for tomorrow's race. Maybe I will go swimming or to the gym later on. We will see. Spareribs I saw your update at the end of yesterday's daily thread. I am very much hoping the next round pretty much fixes everything up. As to your clients -- you are as bad as my late mother was! (That is sort of compliment as she was very successful.) Forget your clients and all other business issues! Get well first!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

8 miles this morning with the middle 4 miles at "Tempo" - 8:17, 8:14, 8:03, and 7:44. Well, at least the last 2 miles were Tempo! Public Service Announcement 25 years ago today, my 1st DW (M) took her own life. We were in the midst of breaking up and this one ended badly. M was a tall (5' 11") thin, beautiful young girl with a vibrant personality that was infectious. I fell hard and early for her. But the heights of M's highs were matched only by the valleys of her lows. Only her family really ever saw them, but she was an emotional yoo-yoo from time to time. She was, at times, borderline abusive toward me. 25 years ago, there was no coming back from her low. At the time of M's death, her DD's were 14 and 15 years old. Tough ages. Though they have grown into happy, vibrant red-blooded American women there were a few trying times. I felt no guilt then about these circumstances and I feel none still. We could not live together peacefully. But I mourned her terribly for a while. I am still very close with her DD's (whom I adopted early on) and they are both close with my DW. In a few instances my DW acted like an older sister to one of the DD's when it was needed. If someone you know (or yourself perhaps) harbors feelings of depression or are suicidal, please talk to someone you trust and get the help they need and so deserve. It is out there. But especially, if someone talks about suicide, even if it's in a joking manner, please take it seriously. I did not nor did anyone else in the family. Wiping away a few stray leftover tears, Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Ribs—not what you expected yesterday, but it’s progress in finding a resolution to your problem. I assumed you’ve warned your doctors that if they don’t do their job perfectly, you’ll send Tall to give ‘em a thrashing. Wink Wishing you the best. Leslie—hi! Drop in more often. Dromedary—Good to hear of running without orthotics. Bill—nice reminder. 65F at the start of my run—a veritable cold snap for this time of year. 6 miles @ 8:43; 136 AHR/ 70% HRR.

Be safe. Be kind.

Spareribs...I'd really love to meet you sometime. You seem like such a cool dude. Take care of yourself! Humid is the word here this week. The temps have cooled off to the 80's so that's good and when I run into the breeze, it's not so bad. I got in 4.5 miles last night and got to try out my new toy. For my bday earlier this week I got a Garmin. Very cool. I probably will not use half of the features on it anytime soon so it's definately a luxury. So do any of you bring a wash cloth of some sort when you run? My tshirt is just drenched when I'm done, even for the short distances that I run. I just can't stand the sweat running down my face and end up waiting for no onlookers so I can wipe my face with the hem of my shirt w/o flashing someone. Anyway, just wondering how others manage it. Guess I could try a headband like breger1. Janet

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

{{{Bill}}} Such a tough thing to go through. Thanks for telling her story. Out for 9 miles this morning - this was my long run of the week and my goal was to keep my HR under 162. There is a very hilly section in which this was a challenge and I did slow down to a fast walk to accomplish it. 10:39 / 144 10:30 / 148 10:54 / 155 11:09 / 156 11:21 / 157 10;51 / 154 11:09 / 157 11:24 / 160 11:12 / 160 Overall 11:00 avg. pace - 154 avg. HR. TGIF Everyone!! Oh, the puppy arrived safe and sound. She is SUCH a sweetie. She slept in her crate for 2 hours, the had to go out, slept another hour and the rest of the night with me on the couch. I am such a miserable crate trainer!! Roll eyes

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

I just can't stand the sweat running down my face and end up waiting for no onlookers so I can wipe my face with the hem of my shirt w/o flashing someone. Anyway, just wondering how others manage it.
                            Halo headband (http://store.haloheadband.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y) to keep sweat out of my glasses, plus wrist band for periodic face-wiping. But frankly, it's a futile battle.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

So do any of you bring a wash cloth of some sort when you run?
                              I have a drawer full of cloth diapers (leftover from the kids) for just this purpose. I cannot stand sweat dripping down my face and into my eyes. I have even been known to carry this cloth when I run in the rain, because the rain dripping down my face when it is warm out makes me a little crazy and so I continuously wipe my face, and even though it is of course useless to do so in the rain, it makes me feel better. I consider it "expoliating." Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Resting this morning with my feet up...I will drive down to the start of the relay to watch Mariposai et al take off...my team doesn't start till 2:00 pm and I'm in the second van...so I will start running around 7:00 tonight. Have a good one...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip