Masters Running

Tuesday 3:16 (am I on TV)? (Read 513 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi all,

Got some catching up to do.    Looks like the weather is the #1 topic these days.

Just the facts - 10 miles this morn on the TM.  Yesterday was lifting/spinning.  Sunday was a 23 miler.  Achilles are quite sore.

I'm starting to research the Home Theater In a Box - looking to surround the PBJsters with sound.  Any suggestions?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Insomnia PBJ? Iciing the AT?

Tried some speed.... not there.

8.4 miles with 6x800m at the track (200m ca 100 sec recovery)

3:52.85 (7:48.3)  163 HRmax
      3:55.27 (7:53.2)  164
      3:56.82 (7:56.3)  165
      3:57.97 (7:58.6)  164
      4:00.1 (8:02.9)    164
      3:56.17 (7:55.06) 164

Avg 7:55

and I've now got a little sore spot on my right calf down near the tendon...

Not enough leg strength for speed or HR...meh..... wait a minute In January the prognosis was no more running.. life is good actually!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning PBJ!    Home Theater in the box is my DH's department.   All I know is that our's rocks the house!

So sad to see all those big old trees down Twocat!   Nice that you have your power back.

No run this morning, due to a very pregnant and uncomfortable dog on the bed.   Geez Louise - she sure can sigh and flop around a lot!   Probably a good thing though, because I would have froze out there with the clothes that I had laid out.   It was only 25° this morning and I was planning on 40°+.   It must have been wishful thinking.  

DH bought a new grill last night, so he wanted to fire it up and cook on it.   I just made some burger patties.  About 9 last night he is wanting to cook something else.   If I had just said the word, he was ready to go out and grill up some asparagus.   I've never had it that way ..... maybe tonight after my hair appointment.

Okay - this is going to be a very very very long day.   I am so tired and not much to do.  Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

PBJ--are you wearing the rainbow colored fright wig, too?

Out for a run in beautifully dry weather.  Lat night it was 43 at 10pm, so I was anticipating (hoping for?) a shorts run.  No such luck, as it was 34 at 5:30.  And it apparently got a little bit colder than that because there was some black ice with all the left over water on the sidewalks.  I did my first lake loop (3.1) in less than 30 minutes in a long time.  I was pleasantly surprised--OK, it was 29:56, but still....

Perch--it's all relative.  Sounds pretty speedy to me.  (see above )

Mary--grilling is good.  grilled asparagus is really good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

No recommendations for home theater in a box, PBJ -- we just use the regular stereo, with surround speakers and added center speaker.  I guess I got an A/V receiver which supports those speakers as well as some video connections.  (Except it doesn't support HDMI <grrr> )

Mary - puppies soon -- so exciting!  (Poor dog)

I tried to run a little faster this morning.  It worked out ok and there was no pain whatsoever.  Set out for 10 with 5x600m intervals.  Did the intervals but legs were pretty tired.  I felt I'd met my workout goal so I stopped at 9.

Not terribly fast, but not terribly slow either:

9.1 miles, 1:14:53, 8:11/mi, AHR 163 (79% MHR)

interval splits:

2:31(170) [0.37=6:48]

2:35(169) [0.37=7:00]

2:32(174) [0.37=6:52]

2:38(176) [0.37=7:07]

2:36(171) [0.37=7:01]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger – I can only dream of such trips – how exciting!  Do you have any pictures to post? 

Twocat – wow!  That was some storm!

{{{PBJ’s Achilles}}}     {{{Perch’s calf}}}

7 slow and gentle miles for me in 43° on still-tired legs (ave pace 10:31), with 6 x 100m sluggish striders sprinkled in.  Today was supposed to be a quality workout, but I just didn’t have it in me.

I am concerned that my legs are this tired 2 days after a 20-miler this late in the training cycle.  At this point recovery should be quick and I should be working on sharpening MP. 

On the plus side, my butt/hip/thigh pain is almost gone, so I think it may have just been a muscle strain.  (whew!)  Slow running is certainly better than no running......like Perch said, life is good, actually! 

ETA - 75 push-ups (25+25+25) and 60 squats, no weights

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

kevin - dry weather!!  can you believe we can actually say that this morning??  there are still tons of road closures making getting around tricky and that darn lake is still in my yard but at least the sky is bright and hope is in the air!!

henry and marj -- the charles was sooooooo high last night!!  I couldnt believe it as i was driving down storrow to work last night but i guess i shouldnt have been surprised considering how many rivers flooded around me.

awesome runs everyone ........ sleep day for me as i ran 7.2 on the treadmill yesterday, had a massage then worked all night..............home this morning, took the cat to the vet, put dinner in the crockpot and now will take my old self to bed!!  thanks for all the well wishes for Mr. Kitty - still having seizures and not sure why - bloodwork normal, he is at the vet to get a urine sample today and probably start some anti-seizure med - honestly not sure how long i can deal with that - we'll see

also, thanks for all the kudos for getting in to beach to beacon - i am really excited about that.   now hoping my name also gets pulled for the Mt Washington lottery - combine those with my 1st time doing reach the beach relay i'm thinking i will dedicate this year to races i've never done before!!

ok - time for chatty me to go to bed!!  have a wonderful day friends

denise

Morning gang!!

PBJ - excellent 23 miler, but sorry it trashed the Achilles - speedy recovery!!

SteveP - you seriously crack me up!

dg - I was surprisingly pain free following the 3 hour TM run - my right butt was achy for a couple of days, but that's gone as of this morning.  Go figure.  I don't know about the oatmeal thing - I'm not sure I could ever acclimate to dry, flavorless oatmeal.   Don't know what the biatrial enlargement means.  I have a cardiovascular pathologist friend - I'll ask the significance. 

twocat - wow, you guys got hit much harder than my part of the state.  We had a few 15 second blips of darkness, but no significant loss of electricity.  Only one measly dead tree down across our driveway, and DH and I could pick it up ourselves. 

76 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  Yoga canceled this week (sigh). 

DH and I caught a about an hour of Jackass II (the movie) Saturday evening.  I hadn't seen any of the Jackass movies before - I was amazed (and amused) at the stupidity of these guys and also surprised that none of them have been killed. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

PBJ.....Nice Thread title......

I can't help you either on the home theater. I'm still watching TV on a CRT

No runs...No swims.....Some core and strength training for me this morning. I'll get my RAW.

Renee the dog

Hi folks!  3.5 mi last night with Renee -- a bit of a progression run way faster than this Sunday's planned MP.  Felt good to blow it all out and also to get it done and out of the rain faster.  Taper is going well -- the house is getting much neater!

Good runs to all!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Apparently Boston Bib numbers are arriving,  but I haven't gotten mine yet.  Maybe in today's mail?  No matter, it will be somewhere near the back of a very large crowd, that's all I need to know.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Getting my lights back on last night makes me one of the lucky ones.  The electric company says some people will not get their power back until tomorrow.  Over half the people in my town and basically every town from here to the NY border lost power in the storm.

Today I took a walk around the neighborhood.  Overall I think this is a pretty poor place to put a now deceased tree!

You cannot see it from the photo but it is lying right across a pretty important road since it leads to one of the bridges that cross the highway.

Holly's post reminded me about Boston.  In January when it became clear I could not run the marathon I wrote to the BAA asking them to let me donate my bib to charity.  They had not yet given out bib numbers or anything, so this would just mean assigning my reserved spot to the charity.  Well shame on them for turning this down!  Really, I understand this makes for a minor amount of additional paperwork on their part, but it means the loss of potentially thousands of dollars to a charity.  A charity they picked to be on their list!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

13 days to HS baseball season  if the ground can dry out enough

Can you beat Bill Rodgers ?  One of our club members did.  Actually he is ranked #1 or 2 in his age group. He won age group 60-64 at Gate River 15k with a 56:38 a 6:05 pace   Bill Rodgers was about 4-5 minutes behind. Terry also has won his age group at USATF national championship 10k several years in a row.  He is awesome!   

No run for me today,  leg rest

Perch I agree life is good.  Whether you run a 8, 9, or 10 minute pace doesn't change your life much but not running at all would be a major change. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Apparently Boston Bib numbers are arriving,  but I haven't gotten mine yet.  Maybe in today's mail?  No matter, it will be somewhere near the back of a very large crowd, that's all I need to know.....

Holly - See http://www.bostonmarathon.org/2010/cf/Public/EntryLists.cfm?mode=entry and plug in your name Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks, Lou - there I am, Bib # 19607, near the back of the pack but that's okay with me.