Masters Running

Ideas on avoiding nausea after long runs (Read 37 times)

King of PhotoShop

I have been running with a woman, 40 years old, who is training for her second marathon.  Running is not her primary sport.  She is a fitness instructor, very tough person.

But she tells me that after our long runs, say 16 miles or more, she is nauseated for the rest of the day.  We run at our Club, where every two miles there is water and Gatorade and we always stop for a small cup of both.

Other than the obvious answer that any reasonable woman should be nauseated after running a couple of hours with me, what advice can I give her? I think it's important that she eat something right after she runs and I don't like her to be uncomfortable. Has this happened to any of you and can you suggest some ideas?  Thank you.  Spareribs

...if she can keep it down,

have her try some Cold  Tonic Water after the run,

the

carbonation, and quinine and sugar  might help

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

This happens to me, if I don't hydrate sufficiently for the rest of the day. Drinking juice helps as well, to get extra calories in me when my appetite shuts down but I still need to replenish what I've burned. I also have Recoverite as my protein recovery drink right after any hard/long effort, and that helps as well.

janie b good

Did it happen when she trained for her first marathon?  and she's sure she's not pregnant?

Could it be the Gatorade?  I'd try just plain water during the run ... and a handful of saltines and 4-6 oz chocolate milk after.  or just saltines and water if the chocolate milk doesn't sound appealing to her.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

King of PhotoShop

Yes, it happened in her first marathon also, and no she is not pregnant.  Spareribs

Latent Runner

When I've felt ill after a long run it almost always goes hand in hand with being dehydrated and/or having not consumed enough salts/electrolytes.  I know this isn't an optimal solution for most folks given the environment they run in, but I "super hydrate" before runs which means I need to stop for as many as a half dozen "bio-breaks" during my longer runs; then again, I run in some pretty desolate woods and can almost always find a private place to take my quick breaks.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Marathon Maniac #957

Another thought - has she eaten too much BEFORE the run, or not let enough time go by between food consumption and running?  I run on a mostly empty stomach, or I will be have nausea problems afterward.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

I was thinking the same as Holly: Has she taken a look at what she is eating/drinking before and between runs? Is she hydrating enough on a daily basis? Too little or too much before her long runs? When, what, and how much does she eat before those workouts? And what, if anything, does she eat/drink immediately after a long run? Take a look at all these issues to see if there might be something worth changing to see if it leads to a more positive outcome.

I also don't like to eat before a long workout. However, everyone is different, and what works for me may not work for her. Good luck!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.