Masters Running

Fri July 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 334 times)

Good morning, everyone!

A couple of weeks ago my forerunner stopped talking on the usb port.  It was strange because I have a "spare" which was talking fine, and I couldn't get the failed unit to talk on PDR's computer either.

Garmin refused to deal with this through the email which was getting me mad.  Anyway their hours are 8-6 CT, so I brought the unit to work.  Lo and behold when I attached it to the computer at work it connected!  So I brought it home and still a problem with my computer.  Back to work to check again, this time charging fully.  Back home, I decided to reinstall training center, and now it connected just fine.  Sheesh.  Now I have to go to Garmin with my tail between my legs and tell them all is right with my world.

3.1 miles, 29:00, 9:14/mi, AHR 138 (71% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Lou, don't worry about emailing Garmin to tell them that TC was the problem.  Many Company's email contact systems are nothing but a Black Hole.  Sometimes I doubt anyone even reads them.

1600 meters swimming this morning.  I tried out some new "Total Immersion" techniques.  Not sure if I was any faster or more efficient (I never check the times in the pool), but I could feel a difference.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Morning WRFB and breger1!

5 miles total for me this morning -- first 2 with Renee.  It was 75ºF and 88% H, so I took her for just a shortie.  Then, I decided to get rid of my shoes and go run in the surf.  What a great decision.  Another 3 miles just at the edge of the water...so much cooler to run on the wet sand.  I felt as if I could run forever!

We had some dead jellies coming in that looked like they were from Finding Nemo -- about a foot in diameter and 4" or so high.  Made for the occasional hurdle. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Order has been restored to the RA world - Lou is starting the dailies again. I feel like things are getting back to normal around here. Good morning Bill and Nono as well! Gosh, I wish I could run in the ocean instead of on concrete - what a neat experience that must be. I just saw a story on the internet about giant squids that are scaring all of the divers and fishermen. You didn't see any of those this morning, did you Nono?

Just a quick 3 miler today to keep the legs loose for a 5K race tomorrow morning. It's actually raining a little here and only 57°. The rain is desperately needed, but as my DH left for a 2 day golf tournament he was muttering something about having it wait until Sunday.

Bill - what are "total immersion" techniques? I'm not much of a swimmer but was contemplating taking a training session for a triathlon this fall. You've been doing this for quite awhile and have lots of good advice, right?

Good Friday workouts, everyone.

Morning, gang!

Lou - glad the Garmin is downloading for you again!

nono - the surf run sounds wonderful. 

TomS - very nice prep run - good luck with the 20K!!

Thunderstorms arrived just as I was trying to go to sleep last night.  I finally had to get up and close the blinds as the lightning was driving me crazy.  Consequently, I didn't  jump out of bed when the alarm went off this morning. 

The storm brought the humidity back, but it still wasn't too bad with temps in the low to mid 60's.  7.1 hilly miles at 10:26 pace and 156 AHR.  The last mile was a struggle.  I'm not exactly looking forward to  16 miles in the soupy humidity tomorrow - think I'll get up extra early which won't make DH too happy.   

Good luck to our weekend racers - may you have ideal running conditions!!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Jlynne, "Total Immersion" is the name of a book on swimming.  MS lent me her copy.  I'm just beginning to read it.

Google the name or look for it in any book store.  It is probably the most popular book on swimming instruction out there.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Bill.....Total Immersion is an excellent program. I have the book and video and they were well worth the investment. The program isn't designed to make you a fast swimmer, just get you through the water more efficiently. I still incorporate the drills on a regular basis.

I would recommend purchasing a set of fins......Like These. They will make the drills much easier.

My workout was a swim today.

A nice easy 600 yd opener followed by 400 yards of the Total Immersion Balance drills, then some catch ups and finally 3 x 250 repeats. Good workout.

We're in for some great running weather over the next few days. !

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

X-training day for me.  1 gentle mile on the TM @ 10:42, just to get the blood moving, then my usual lower body

workout:

1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R).
                  2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R).
                  3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R)

plus bench presses, flies, lying hammer curls, superman lifts, stability ball crunches and 4 pull-ups.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning!

Went for a leisurely 5-mile bike ride last night and then retreated to my chair.  Hopefully I'll go for a walk with my daughter tonight on the board walk.   Weather and energy permitting.

Thinking of you Denise.   I think it is encouraging that your son calls you so frequently.   I pray that he is home soon.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

2 recovery miles thinking of Denise and her son. yaw today (yoga at lunch)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Nono,... would that be "bounding"? Wink

Jlynne, I agree.    Lou, glad you're back & glad your Garmin is ok.

Sue, how did your thyroid test turn out?   Sorry you'll be running in the soup.

I went to see my pcp this morning (right after my run, poor guy, he's about 5 minutes away from the park) to check out this ab  thing.   Stevep, I'm still using the ice cream cure, but it's taking a while.  He couldn't find anything wrong but says it can be hard to find, said we will watch it.  He did say I have really strong ab muscles. Smile.  So that was kind of nice, to have a trained impartial opinion.  He also thinks I should be able to hold up to the marathoning training, so that was also really good to hear.

This morning the plan was for 1 mile @ recovery pace, (11:08), then 4X1 mile at 10K pace, with 2 minute recoveries.  I hit those pretty closely, some a little faster some a little slower. then another mile recovery pace (10:04, funny how that changes).    I'm happy with that.   Not quite back to normal yet.    Ha, as if I was ever there.   But.. approaching functional.  yippee. 

oh yeah, mta, ave pace 10:04, max 8:40, ahr 165, max 172.

Denise, I'm so glad to hear your son's calling you.   ((((( )))))  I hope this resolves soon, it must be so awful for all of you!! 

TomS, thanks for the race information.  I'd looked that one, will look more, (not sure how far it is!) & conisder it more seriously, knowing you've done it a lot. 

Stevep... how are you?   sounded like you might have taken off work yesterday to keep up with your clicker training.  That didn't sound too good as far as your leg is concerned.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Friday all,

what a difference 15º and a little humidity makes!  what was a run on Tuesday turned back into a plod today, but I got it done and at a little more distance.  3.5 at just over 10m/m.  the way I was sweating, I figured I would have been good for at least 3-4 pounds, but only went down 1.  Longer on Sunday, I hope.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai thanks for asking about how I am doing.  But you have the wrong body part!  My back is fine.  The problem lies in the area between my thigh and hip.

Today I signed up my DW for the Houston HM and me for the full.  Given her running she is certainly ready.  Now I just need to heal up in time to train for this thing!

In other "excitement"   My doctor's admonishment to lay off any exercise for three days ended so today I did a 20 minute walk.  I figured that was likely within the rules.  Now three weeks of walking and then we will see what the doctor says after that.

Alas, today has mostly been pretty dull.  I am busy trying to figure out why my computer code spits out estimates that cannot possibly be right . . .   Ah joy!

Good running all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Easy 2.1 miles this morning because my 5-mile race is tomorrow.  First time I've ever run with an iPod. Wow!  I'm hooked.  Off to run kids around now and deal with broken computer (I'm posting this on the kids'  computer).

I had to laugh when DS17 recently said he would like to have one "normal" day.  I told him I've had very few of those my entire life!

Mariposai

yeah twocat, but the hip is connected to the back,right. Good news about your DW's HM. When is it?

Hey, pictures from Athens would be just lovely on a dull Friday like today

Just got back from the DOL office, my ds#2 just got his driver license. What out world here comes another teen behind the wheel.

Any word from Tall and Hallar?

It is going to get to 103F around here...just the way I like it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard