Masters Running

Disney Princess Marathon (Read 342 times)

Renee the dog

I go to FL a couple times a year. We have a Disney timeshare. Some of our timeshare friends decided to run this race and support having another race in Disney World. It was going to be a race that started at the Richard Petty Speedway and would wind its way through 3 parks. Somehow along the way, all of that fell apart, and the management co. reverted to the exact same course as the half marathon course that they stage in January. It starts in the Epcot parking lot, runs up the highway, through the Magic Kingdom parking lot, backstage at the MK, through part of the MK (including the all important Castle) and then back down the highway straight into the morning sun, onto another highway, through the Epcot parking lot, Epcot backstage, briefly through Epcot’s Future World and then backstage again to the parking lot where the finish line is. The only difference is that this was “Princess” half, targeted towards women. I think there were only 200 runners out of 7500 registrants that were men. I don’t like this course, and I am not a huge Princess fan and so this wasn’t setting up to be the race to end all races for me. But, the women that I was running with as an unofficial team are pretty darn cool, so it was worth it to go and race. We left NJ on Wednesday while the weather was 6F and drove to VA to catch the Auto Train. It was 60F when we arrived in FL the next day. Nice change. Didn’t seem to improve or hurt my cold any, and I was feeling strong. Race day was the change to daylight’s savings time. We left our complex at 4:30 a.m. and drove over to the Epcot parking lot. We set up a blanket and our little team of 5 gathered and chatted, stretched, etc. Eventually we checked our bags and started the long march to the start. This being a smaller race, two of us were in the first corral.. While shivering in the cold morning air waiting the 40-45 min to start, my one teammate and I made $20 motivational bets. Hers was to beat a 2:10 or owe me $20, and mine was to beat a 1:54 or owe her $20. Eventually, we got to go! Course was wide open from the start for me. Went out at a reasonable pace the first mile – little over 9 min mile. Got faster starting at mi 2, and the miles clicked away pretty speedily through about mile 8. I have to check my splits, but I think I was generally at 8:20-8:30ish pace. Then, things got harder. I was set up properly with my coconut water, well-hydrated, etc., but my cold started kicking in then, and it was kinda making me sick to my stomach. I’m not sure if that was real or imagined, as I had been sick from the cold a week or so back. My pace started creeping up in the later miles – 8:47 was very popular on my wrist for a long time. That actually gave me hope as I was struggling with nose blowing and some uphill areas and heavily canted switch back portion of the race. The training I’ve done got me through, as even though I felt slower, I actually was able to maintain pace. I did try to slow down to a 9 min mi and felt no better, so I figured I just needed to haul it in and call it a day. Might as well not lose money in the process, so in the last 5K, I was doing a lot of math in my head to be sure I beat the 1:54 bet. Just before the finish was my family and the families of our other teammates, which was fun. The pictures of me are horrific, and I really do look like I’ll be sick any moment! But to hear my 5 year old yelling for me – OH, how priceless that sound is! As I crossed the finish, the clock said 1:54 something, and I immediately thought, “I hope we were betting net time!” HA! I walked over to have my chip removed. The lady somewhat impatiently said, “Put your foot up on the bucket.” I replied, “I know. I will. I just want to be sure I don’t throw up on you.” The chip clipper sitting next to her roared laughing and said, “Turn the bucket upright!” I didn’t need it and soon was through the finish chute, and over being a Mom once again. I could barely move, but my 2 yr old had to be up and on me within 3 min of me finishing. Back to being Mom! It took a whole lot of effort out there, both mental and physical to finish and chip away at that PR. And, I had a lot of time to think about how much effort it will be for me to do double that in November. I thought more than once, “You have a lot of work to do to have an enjoyable marathon in November.” And I do, and that’s OK. As I said, I don’t like the course I ran, and wanted to have a kick-butt performance. It may not rank as that, but I’ll take it. So, why do I think I didn’t do better? Mostly, I think I should have run a little more with this cold than I did. I simply got so tired that I kept losing the motivation to run, even with a race looming. I think this is a case where perhaps a little more keep to the schedule and a little less listen to the body would have helped. Also though, there’s the cold itself. It may have taken more out of me than I realize. Finally, instead of really enjoying it out there like I usually do in races or even my long runs, I was running to get it done. Instead of negative splits, I ran fast from mi. 2 – which might have worked if the cold and sudden lack of training weren’t in play. Anyway, a long read to get to the results: ChipTime ClockTime Overall SexPl DivPl AgeGrade 1:53:45 1:54:03 373/6150 347 38 62.6% Running and racing is so great! While I never got comfortable and in the flow out there, I managed a decent result anyway, and had a great time with family and friends. I learned a few more things which will help me build towards the future. My husband also put the whole Disney race scene in perspective for me. He said, “We need to save the Disney races for when you are in a burnt out period.” And for me, he’s right. I like Disney World, but I’m not a fanatic who goes gaga over seeing the characters or backstage. But, maybe when I’m burnt out and not trying to see how fast I can go, a Disney race will be just the thing. And maybe, like the guy who was dressed as Belle from Beauty and the Beast (complete with blue pinafore dress and basket to carry), I’ll relate to it better then. But to give credit where it is due, this race was definitely tweaked since the last half I did in early 2007 and indeed eliminated some of the really lousy parts of the course. And, things seemed to run smoother overall, esp. on race day. Oh yeah, and my betting partner? She came in at 2:08, so she was happy with her result as well!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations on beating your plan! I think a cold just prior to a HM can knock out a few minutes, more so if you have symptoms IN the race...nice report too! Btw, I'm with you on trying to do math in the last few miles of a race. Confused It takes soo much longer to do the simplest math.
      -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
      also on Twitter
      evanflein

Good job Nono! So, did you guys call the bet a draw? I think you ran a great race. If you hadn't gotten sick before, I'll bet you'd have gone sub 1:50!! I'm like you in a lot of ways... I like Disney, too, but not the hype. Fun layout, good concept, just tone down the corn a bit, eh? I think this race is a good base to work from for your November marathon... Wink
          I think you pulled off a fine race, considering that you've been struggling with a cold. I am always in awe of you moms with busy lives and kids and all, who still manage to train and race. I really didn't get back to running until my kids were mostly grown. You've got a good perspective on this race, and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pleasure of racing with your princess posse, and meeting up with your family at the end. You met your betting goal, and showed that you've got the guts to push through tough miles. You're going to do just fine in November. Thanks for the report.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

nono, you took on both Disney and the cold and beat both. Congratulations to you and your friend for beating your goals. TomS
              I think this was a great effort by you . You met your time goal and toughed out a cold along the way. You showed toughness and determination which will get you through your marathon this fall. Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

NIce racing and a great RR. Congratulations!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Don't forget you lost an hour of sleep, on top of being sick AND being mom. (I've tried hard to forget how much energy little ones require Smile ) Excellent race and results.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

There's no way you can accurately determine how much that cold cost you, but it had to have been significant. My own performances have been awful when I run with a cold or just after getting over one. I think you pushed the last part of the race valiantly. Well done. The picture of your daughter on last night's daily is a beauty too. Thanks for posting it. Spareribs
                      Running with a full-on cold will definitely slow you and make it harder than it might be otherwise. Your body is working to fight off the cold while you're asking it to kick some butt. A nice hard effort. You'll be rewarded when you recover from your cold. "Turn the Bucket right-side up". Hilarious! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Nice job, given the circumstances. You've definitely got some guts to finish this one as well as you did. Just think how much better it'll feel next time when you don't have a cold!

Be safe. Be kind.

Yes, don't underestimate the effect of the cold! You did really well all things considered. Very good placement in the field. Some races, if you go out too fast or are a bit sick, are just really tough to run through. I laughed at the bucket joke. I almost always run past those chip removal people and come back when I am sure I am not going to toss. Good luck with your marathon plans. Take it easy, do lots of LSD, and set an easy pace for race day. Where is the fashion report??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Nice job, nono! Thanks for sharing! I was wanting to do this race because of the new advertised route. I'm sorry to hear that the organizers went back to plan B with the January race route. Congrats on your good finish in spite of the illness - way to hang tough!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

nice job Nono!! sounds like you ran a good race despite your cold and losing an hour of sleep......that makes you pretty tough stuff!!Big grin

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

I thought more than once, “You have a lot of work to do to have an enjoyable marathon in November.”
                                You hit the nail on the head with that race goal for me. My first marathon goal is to not be miserable running it. Okay, maybe that's my second, coming in behind "finish without injury." I already think you will do great in November. As for this race, you did a heckofa job, especially since you had a cold. I don't agree that you should have run more during the week before. When you are sick, rest is the best thing for you. Nothing you could do about getting sick, but listening to your body was the right thing to do. Great race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."