Masters Running

Wednesdilly 5.18.22 (Read 38 times)

mrrun

Happy birthday Jay!  Hope your toe allowed you to go out at j o’clock!

offto walk with friends and then food pantry

have a greta day!

marj

Happy Birthday Jay! Hope there's cake. And wine 

Thanks for the start Marj. Thanks for serving your food pantry, and I hope you had a good walk with your friends.

Hey Erika - that's some scary stuff. Take care of yourself!

Holly - I'm so glad your first day went well, and that you like the people you'll be working with.

Roch - that's really cool that you're able to follow your family tree so far back.

Steve - congrats to your DGS. The look of determination on his face is something to behold!

After several days of beautiful weather, the rain is back. It was 47 degrees and raining at 5:00. Off to the Y for 45 minutes on the elliptical, a few laps around the track and 25 minutes of upper body weights and core.

I got in a couple of rounds of golf the last few days, and I'm happy to report my back held up just fine. Now, if I could just remember how to play the game!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start and the birthday wishes Marj. And thanks for volunteering at the food pantry.

Thank you also, Jlynne. Great news that you were able to get out for some golf without back pain!

Great photos of the young runner, Steve - such determination on his young face!

Id did get out at J o'clock for a walk today, under the light of a nearly-full moon. I went 1.4 miles, and didn't even bother with my Garmin because it can't time people walking that slow - I should have been timed with a calendar. The only good news is that my toe feels a wee bit better today, so maybe Twocat is right and it is 'only' a sprain and not a fracture. Still, I'm trying to get in for an x-ray sometime around my surgical follow-up today.

DW is taking me out to dinner to a new (to us) place tonight. There probably won't be cake, but I imagine there'll be some wine.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the start, mr, and happy birthday, Jay.  Glad you got out there and that the toe is improving.

Steve- echoing the other comments on your GS.  Awesome pictures and true grit look on his face.  Very cool.

4.7 tired miles on another nice morning.

Lunch with a former co-worker today and need to start packing for St. John.  Always a challenge- want to pack light but....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy birthday and happy toes too Jay. I don't know how bad it was and she probably took a long respite afterwards but one of the few times I beat my IM nemesis for the ensuing 30 years was catching up to Sister Madonna limping along on two broken toes in the final miles of the 1987 one.

KSA - speaking of toes, I hope yours get plenty of beach sand between them.

Probably solely because I'm not a streaker, I'm not minding one bit some accumulated domestics keeping me out of another continuing rainy morn but also with blustery gusts. Hope they're right about the supposed sunny weekend but I doubt it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the start, Marj.

JLynne - Great news that the back held up!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAY!!! Hope the dinner is excellent.

About 45 min of core/PT stuff this a.m., then a 3.60 mile ride to work.

Had over an hour and a half MAT session after work yesterday as we worked to try and figure out my ongoing foot problem. We talked for almost the first 15 min as I voiced my distress and frustration.  He commiserated and then got down to business. He had my lay on my stomach with my feet hanging off the end of the table, took a picture of my feet, and my right foot - the problem foot - is clearly sitting at an odd angle compared to the left - overly pronated - meaning the way that it's sitting, it's having to work extra hard to roll down through to the big toe.  So began further assessing of why, trying to figure out what's jacked up further up the chain, and then I was given some new exercises to try and correct the issue.  There's more to the assessment, but too much to get into here.

We also discussed trying to transition to a shoe like the Altra.  As much as I hate the idea of getting rid of hundreds of dollars of running shoes, if going to this type of shoe stops me from having these $%*& injuries, I'm all for it.  So at some point, I need to go to the 1 or 2 stores around here that might carry them and see which one feels best.  I'm also going to order a pair of shoes to wear with my work clothes that are completely flat with a nice wide toe box. It'll take time and patience to transition to both, we'll see how it all shakes out.  I'm willing to do almost anything to stop getting injured.

Gotta get to it.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday Jay! Hope your day is fantabulous!

Leslie - going from a 12mm (I think that is what you said you are wearing?) to a zero-drop Altra seems pretty extreme to me!   I tried on an Altra one time at REI and it was noticeable going from my usual 4-5 mm drop to that one. I ended up not buying them because it felt so uncomfortable being at a zero drop.  Obviously, do what your MAT guy recommends - that's what you pay him the big bucks for - but dang, that's a huge difference. Like going from years of shoes to barefoot running. 

4.2 miles after work yesterday. Wanted to make that a longer run day but DH had a dinner planned for us (nothing fancy - just grilled pork chops), but told him I'd be home by 5:30 for dinner.  No run tonight as I have a board meeting after work. And then we are picking up our Corvette from the detailer - who are actually friends of ours from the Corvette Club. This is their business and they've done some pretty phenomenal transformations of other corvettes from the club. They did touch-up paint on a few small rock chips, buffing, polishing, and applied a ceramic coating to it. I'm so anxious to see how it looks.  If I love the ceramic coating, I'm going to have them do that to my car also. 

okay, off to get my 2nd cup of coffee and be productive!

Tammy

I, too, am a bit skeptical of the zero drop, but one of the things is having the natural foot-shaped toe box.  It may be that I can't go to a zero drop, but I hope I can find something with that toe box.  I told him that years ago I ran in Inov-8s for awhile and loved them, but ended up with bad tendonitis in my ATs.  He said it's probably because I didn't train my way into them, which I didn't really.   . . . I don't know.  I'm really tired of getting injured, so something has to change.  I'm open to other suggestions from folks.

Ceramic coating?

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I love my Hoka's for trails. I still wear my Saucony's for roads. The Hoka's have a roomy toe box in my opinion and are about a 5mm drop I think? They were a super easy transition for me from the Saucony Peregrine's I had been wearing for trails for years. But I noticed my feet ached more after a long trail run in Peregrine's and the Hoka's have more cushion through the sole. I have had zero issues with Hoka Torrents. Maybe try those on along with a pair of Altra's and see how they feel?

ceramic coating is basically a rock hard sealer to protect the car. it makes it super shiny like it's just come off a showroom floor and makes the cleaning upkeep of the exterior much easier. no more scrubbing off bug-guts. just wipes right off. It's a liquid polymer hand applied. But once it's on, it's on for good! so making sure all the fine swirl scratches that are sometimes on cars if you use drive-through car washes for example, is completely buffed and polished out is important otherwise the ceramic coating will seal that in forever also. These folks are meticulous for detailed perfection. Takes them about 10 to 12 hrs to do a car with all the prep work before applying the ceramic coating.

Tammy

bioguy

No run yesterday but I did get my portfolio submitted ahead of the deadline.Given how badly I'm sleeping lately I really need to get back to regular exercise.

coastwalker happy birthday and wishing you many more to come!

fatozzig I have used Altra for years, specifically because they have a zero drop. I try to rotate shoe types, since it is the one thing that has been shown to reduce injuries. Currently, my rotation is one day it is Altra the next Saucony and then New Balance. With a very little bit of use, you should find that the Altra feel just fine. I like the wide toe box. I also find that I frequently run faster in the Altra's than the other sneakers. I have no idea why, but what the heck.

Today was an elliptical day. Later on my DW is dragging me into the city for dinner with her niece and her niece's husband and daughter. We have never been close to them, but not going along does not seem like an option. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for the shoe information.  I need to go into the local shops and try stuff on.  I'm also headed to Portland over the Memorial Day Weekend, so hopefully I can get to the Portland Running Company, since they'll have a wider variety of shoes than locally.

2Kitty - What's the difference between the 3 shoes you rotate through?

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, REI shows they have a location in Eureka. I like REI because even after you wear a shoe (for months even!) you can return if they don't work out. You have nothing to lose really. and if they don't have the model you want in stock, you can order it shipped to store and still have the same return policy.

eta: nevermind. no REI in Eureka. My google search showed RMI. not REI.

Tammy

Topo also makes foot-shaped shoes. They seem to be of better quality than Altra, but aren't zero-drop. I have a pair that I wear around, but not to run in (too low cushioning on this model). One thing I noticed about foot shaped shoes when I've run in them (Altra), is that going downhill, your toes jam into the front of the shoe. The pointy, unnatural shaped shoes kind of wedge your foot to keep it from sliding forward in the shoe going downhill.

I'm an advocate of shoe rotation, including drop. I do a few short runs in minimalist shoes every so often (NB Minimus), so basically barefoot. I don't think I have anything higher than 7-8mm drop right now, but I've been thinking about getting a pair of 10+ drop shoes to see if that gives my achilles a rest. Most of my shoes are that typical 4mm drop.

I also think trail running reduces the importance of "drop" and motion control and all of that, because you're landing in all kinds of different ways, and constantly varying stride length because of terrain. "They" say trail runners have stronger feet and suffer fewer injuries (other than falling!).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

These shoe problems are totally irrelevant to Tet...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying