Masters Running

Midnight Sun Run 10k Race Report (Read 487 times)

evanflein

Solstice is a big thing around here. The downtown streets get blocked off for a street fair/community party and it can be a lot of fun. Stores stay open till midnight offering all sorts of sales and specials. People party like animals and don't go to bed till well into the next day. The sun is only set for a couple hours, but it doesn't get dark. It really is very cool. It's also usually very hot this time of year, but this year has been strange... we've barely broken 70° the last couple of weeks.

One of the events of the solstice weekend is the Midnight Sun Run, a 10k race that starts at 10 pm (not midnight) and is the biggest running event in the area. We had well over 3,000 runners/walkers in this weekend's race, it was huge! Always fun to see the costumes because a lot of people dress up and there's a big costume contest division that's pretty competitive. The weather was great, mid-60's, no rain, just a little smoke from a new fire a few miles away (sigh). 

The start was a little chaotic. Usually they line you up and give a count down. People mill about and visit, chat, stretch and sandbag about their prospects for the race. All of a sudden, the lead pack takes off, and then the cannon goes off! (Yes, we start this race with a 105mm Howitzer...) I started my Garmin and took off, feeling a little rushed but settled in with the rest of the runners. 

In the first mile, there's a slight uphill over a railroad overpass, but then a nice downhill the second half and I hit the first mile in 6:50... oops. Way too fast. The rest of the race is pretty flat, with some corners as we go through subdivisions and neighborhoods with lots of solstice parties and people who obviously have been partying for an hour or two (or three) before the race started. I haven't been invited to so many keggers since my college days! The next couple miles were sub 7:10 and I was concerned about running out of gas in the second half, so tried to stay easy and relaxed.

There's a gal in my series age group (determined by age on May 1) who usually always beats me. It's really frustrating, and I'm glad she's aged up for actual race age groups, but in the end of year race series points pursuit, she's in my AG all year. I saw here at about mile 3 and couldn't believe I'd caught up to her! I ran right behind her for awhile, and worried that I was pushing it too hard when she was "coasting," and let her get ahead a bit. Then it just seemed like I was holding back to stay behind her, and passed her after we crossed a bridge over the Chena River. From then on, I was concerned she was right behind me, ready to shift into high gear and pass me back. That thought kept me going when I probably would've faded otherwise.

Last 3 miles were in the 7:15 to 7:20 range, and I passed a lot of people... taking note of those who'd passed me in the first couple of miles! At the end of mile 6 we go on a bike path under a bridge, so there's a little downhill, a tight corner, then a climb up to the 6 mile marker and a .2 mile sprint through "Pioneer Park" to the finish. It was coming up from the underpass that I saw another gal I really like but usually can never get close to. I followed her through the park and almost caught her! Oh, for the lack of 10 more feet! Oh well. We were within a second of each other.

The clock said 44:38 when I crossed the line, but you never know if that's your real time or not. With the crazy start, I really don't know. But I stopped my Garmin after I crossed the line, and it says 44:39. I was so happy to see this; it's almost a 1:30 PR for this distance! This is the only 10k I run, and I've run it every year since, oh, I don't know when. My previous PR of 46:07 (same as my buddy Perchcreek) from 2007 seemed just out of reach to improve. I'm more than delighted with this result.

Here's a picture of me taken right before the finish, a little drop into the center of the park, finish line less than .1 mile to go... I almost caught Jenny (in the blue top) but she was about a second ahead at the end.

Next up: mile race on a track on July 1. I wonder if I can PR in a 4th distance this year? Being 50 is turning out to be kind of fun.... 

SteveP

Sweet PR Erika!!!!!

There are few things as kewl as passing an arch enemy.

SteveP

Ahhh....sounds like you have learned to live the "Fast Life" at 50.

Funny the little mind games that went on when you were near that "other" runner.   Anyone else you would not be thinking, but with her.......the thoughts begin.  Good for you for blowing by her.

GREAT PR.......Dongratulations!!!

What are your plans for preparing for the 1 mile race?

Vista
          Great racing Erika and I am so happy for you----you had fun as well as raced successfully and that's a super combination. You are running so well and wisely combine strength, speed, and grace.

Now your nemesis is watching for your name on race entry lists! 

Congratulations (and doesn't it make you wish there were more 10ks around?)

You are greeting the new season in fine style!

Congratulations!!  So cool that your competition was there to spur you on.  See what you can do?  50, it's the new 30 eh?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

What a great PR Erika!

You are running so good even though you struggled with that foot all winter. All that pool running and cross training is paying off big now that you can race again. Good luck on the mile it seems that is a popular distance right now around here and people are smokin it. I bet  you will too.

I have many people in the local race scene that are much faster than myself so I am chasing just about everybody. There is one dude in my age bracket though that is even fatter bigger than me and always wears red white and blue shiny running shorts. No matter how hard I try he always is in front of me and you just can't miss those shorts.

Thanks for the report

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Dave59

Alaska sounds like a great place to be at summer solstice.  That is a great run.  You'd be piling up AG wins around here with those times.

WOW!!  that is an amazing 10k Erika!!  Congratulations on your sweet victory!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Oh, I miss it so much too. A Guinness-worthy, solstice 1:30 PR too after doing 10K's

all your running life is heaven on earth for a runner who suffers through the winters you do.  .

I can just see you flying by everyone with the sun poised on the horizon getting ready to slip along

just beneath the rim for an hour or two of never-ending sunset. 

however, I could see it lot  better if there's any photos available. . 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Suuwwweeeettt!  Isn't that 10K PR pace sorta like your recent 5K pace?  Oh why not run two PR 5K's back to back.

Incredible.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Excellent race, Erika!!  Way to run with the nemeses and beat at least one.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - if only you knew what an inspiration you are to me....I have watched you grow faster and faster over the last 4-5 years... you are amazing!  Excellent race!!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I didn't want to jinx you, but I had a really good feeling about you in this race as your run times have been truly impressive.   Congrats and keep on keeping on--you are just getting speedier and speedier!

Imagine what you'll be accomplishing when you don't have to be taking care of 2 boys! (Albeit very handsome & accomplished boys, I hasten to add.)

grins,..........and warm solstice!

A

Masters 2000 miles

Nice race & fantastic results

Keep throwin down those PR's that is AWESOME !

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Super speedy, Erika!  You just get better with time.  Congrats on a fantastic race.